Saints 1 Cardiff City 2 post match dissection

Crab Lungs

Absolute tripe.

Think of the **** Hughes would get for this. Last couple of weeks the official Southampton social media handles have been sucking themselves off over the odd win or laughably, an unbeaten 2019.

That is a bottlejob performance and result. I’m not sure what I’m angry most about - our sh1t squad or the fact Cardiff just done the double on us.

New manager bounce well and truly over. And yes, it was a bounce and saying that does not make me a skate

We have been terrible for 3 games now.

The state of our January window was laid bare today.

Stephens cost us again, sadly.

Awful performance and poor for Ralph to be honest

Pretty shameful how we have thrown away three of the most winnable matches we had left.

We now go into a tough run nowhere near the points we should have on the board.

The laziest, most complacent, suicidal transfer window in our history may well just come back to bite us very badly. Sh ite.

Strike options of Long or Austin or Gallagher will leave you over-elaborating around the box trying to create the un-missable - lots of passes, lots of possession, f*ck all to show for it.

Add that to mistakes at the back and a tentative keeper and it's a recipe for disaster.

Whether the manager is Hughes or Hasenhüttl.

Pretty shameful how we have thrown away three of the most winnable matches we had left.

We now go into a tough run nowhere near the points we should have on the board.

The laziest, most complacent, suicidal transfer window in our history may well just come back to bite us very badly. Sh ite.

Agreed. The complacency is breath taking, but has been going on for years.

Save your money for when Gao is gone - he won’t us any of his so don’t let him have any of yours.

Negative tactics today, appalling defending from Stephens and the useless Vestergaard (even for Les and Ross, signing a huge centre half scared to head the ball represneted a session on the whisky too far) Valero and Redmond only people to make any effort. PEH and Romeu dreadful and both were pulling caravans.

Will regain some interest when rebuilding the club in League One with a new owner.

Cardiff wanted it more, neither set of players would be particularly wanted by Championship

Today was diabolical. Playing five at the back at home to Cardiff was a joke from the start. If you’re going to use the formation to push the full backs up, press high and attack, that’s great. But for long periods of the game, we had six or seven players in defensive positions when Cardiff were camped back well within their own half. Two points from our last three games is extremely poor and looking at the games coming up, we could be in deep trouble. There’s clearly a lack of options for Ralph, but this team is crying out for pace and has been for the past two seasons

We have no strikers and no creativity, really need now to give Obafemi or Johnson or Sims a go as we have no pace out wide, no target man and playing that 3 in the middle isn't working

Ralph doesnt get a pass here, anyone can see Long is not going to score you goals and relying on Redmond and JWP to score each week isn't going to work ...

What is it with St Mary's ? Whatever curse WGS thought might be there seems to have returned. Are we, in reality, broke ? I don't think there's a manager anywhere who could get regular goals out of our group of 'strikers', and the trouble is that I don't think they would be any more effective in the Championship.

Zero intensity for the whole game... Pellegrino style stuff... why?

We have too players in our team who should not be playing for us in the Premier League. Stephens, Long, Elyounoussi, Austin. Ward-Prowse now back to being terrible again too after showing some promise.

And then we have players who have looked good in the past who played terribly today. Hojbjerg, Romeu, Bednarek.

It's going to take a miracle. Thank goodness we still havw Gabbi who is capable of such a miracle. Oh.

I thought it was another poor performance tbh.

We sometimes look really good when we get the ball in our box, get to half way and get to just outside their box. Then we just have no clue what to do and the lack of quality in attack means we mess it up.

I didn't understand the managers tactics today either. In the second half Cardiff went 2 up front and left them there. They started to create problems after that. We seemed to stick with our formation which was not working.

I like Ralph but I don't understand this love he has for Long. We need someone up there who will do more than just hold the ball up.

This is the sort of game we typically struggle with..... we saw it under Poch more than once: oppo sitting deep, us without the quality to break them down, and losing to a sucker punch.

Feels worse today though... Cardiff: CARDIFF do the double over us.

Just underlines the total the lack of quality in the squad right now.

Big dent to our survival plans.

How many points has Stephens cost us this season? IF Yoshida wasn't fit yet, should have gone with 4 at the back. In fact, we should have gone with that anyway. The sad thing is, a combo of Austin/Gallagher (subbed on when CA started blowing out of his **** after 50 mins) would have been the best use of the extra man.

I have found a positive from this game,lots of questions have well and truly been answered.

After the huge let off last season,the club has just gone about it this season exactly the same way. Take a bow all those who run SFC and its owner , enjoy what's comin

I said at half time that I'd take the point (and got called out for it), but even when we equalised I knew we'd blow it. We have very little character when we are under pressure. Any team that lets Cardiff City take 6 points off them don't deserve to be in the premier league, and highly likely that we won't be soon. We were awful.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

January will cost us our place in this league. We have a battle on our hands with ****e like Stephens, Vest and Long in the line-ups.

Winless in our last 10 games against promoted sides, soon to be 11 when we fail to beat Fulham.

Sadly agree with this, Krueger’s lack of football nous and Gao’s lack of wealth likely to see us down. I like RH and he seems a good coach, but a miracle worker is probably needed, one who can conjure up three players outside of a f*cking transfer window!

Yes, it's absolutely baffling why the manager chose not to select a player who we sold to Sampdoria a few weeks ago. :mcinnes:
Was he sold against the manager's will, then?

Because I think Ralph made a decision to chose Long over him, which is why Gabbi was sold.

The manager should take the blame he has allowed his players(his selection ) to **** around instead of attacking what is one of the leagues worst side .I believe we should have won this game, we have the players but not the manger to force them forward and win the game he seem happy sitting back and throwing points aways evey game One of the most gutless performance by Manager and team I seen in 50 years of watching Saints. We are the pitts we would not frighten an under 8 teams with are complacency and laziness on the ball the little guys and girls i watch every week of all ability have at least the will to compete .This lot and their manager should hang their heads in shame total tozzers

The complacency, lack of urgency and little movement was obvious throughout the first half. To give the ball away like that, especially at the end, was unforgivable. Cardiff are not a very good side but we've lost to them twice. What does that say about Saints?

In reality we have one of the worst squads in the division and we delude ourselves to think otherwise. We are probably on a par with teams like Cardiff so we have no right to expect to win any games, including today's, because we do not have the class players who can do the unexpected. This is obviously Ralph's worst result but he's doing his best with what he's got to work with. If he manages to keep us ahead of 3 teams by the end of the season he will have performed a miracle. If not then why should any of us be surprised? Face it, we don't have a strong squad and relegation is a distinct possibility. Whether you blame lack of activity in the transfer window is another matter but Ralph has made us better - maybe that won't be enough but he's giving it his best shot. Today's result makes the task far harder but we must keep going.

That was a performance that wouldn't have looked out of place at the back end of Puel's tenure. All backwards, sideways, hesitate, backwards, slowly does it.

Valery played well. No-one else was even close to being good enough - against a glorified Championship club.

I don't think we've got enough to stay up. The defence has at least one calamity per game in them, the midfield can't create, and our attacking threat is the oh so reliable Nathan Redmond or bust.

Hope the mini preseason in Tenerife gives the manager enough time to come up with some kind of way forward. What that could be, God knows. Getting the team fitter can only improve things so much.

Bleak.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

We just cant defend its panic stations anywhere near our box in the dying minutes of any of our games...........now were in the sh!T.really and there was absolutly no drive or passion for the game as the tight fixture it was.

What has Ralph done wrong?.......we are a joke and playing badly at this moment,and just think we have an injured stricker you cant begin to quantify how huge this defeat is..........MASSIVE... and we have an option to buy an injury pron sticker at

the end of this season so hes injured for the start of next ....wwoooowww...Elyonnousi hasnt scored or even assisted and hes an international midfield/winger........jeeees.

Yes im fooked off just about now and in the cold light of day im still going to be fooked off cause our next game dont bother boys its Arsenal,and we aint defending them from scorring for 90 plus minutes no chance.

Why play long again instead of Austin or Gallagher?.......thought Ralph was going to be the man to create a sense of purpose for the team and fans alike................ummm...we were so turgid ponderus and pathetic it ******* angers me

Now were in a big battle and sh!t.....why go on a jolly in the sun ?.......FOR THAT DISPLAY?...........SHOULD HAVE STAYED AT HOME FOOK.........Btw Targget moves the ball quicker than bertand...imo, so we havent lost out on his 16 game absence.