Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: The Run In Thread

  1. #1

    Default The Run In Thread

    Possibly a bit too early, but worth keeping an eye on fixtures. Home games in bold.


    Brighton - 27 Points
    Feb 26 - Leicester City v Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Mar 02 - Brighton & Hove Albion FC v Huddersfield Town
    Mar 09 - Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Mar 16 - Brighton & Hove Albion FC v Cardiff City
    Mar 30 - Brighton & Hove Albion FC v Southampton

    April 06 - Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    April 13 - Brighton & Hove Albion FC v AFC Bournemouth
    April 30 - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    April 27 - Brighton & Hove Albion FC v Newcastle United
    May 04 - Arsenal v Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    May 12 - Brighton & Hove Albion FC v Manchester City

    TBD - Chelsea v Brighton & Hove Albion FC


    Burnley - 27 Points
    Feb 23 - Burnley FC v Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 26 - Newcastle United v Burnley FC
    Mar 02 - Burnley FC v Crystal Palace
    Mar 10 - Liverpool v Burnley FC
    Mar 16 - Burnley FC v Leicester City
    Mar 30 - Burnley FC v Wolverhampton Wanderers

    April 06 - AFC Bournemouth v Burnley FC
    April 13 - Burnley FC v Cardiff City
    April 20 - Chelsea v Burnley FC
    April 27 - Burnley FC v Manchester City
    May 04 - Everton v Burnley FC
    May 12 - Burnley FC v Arsenal


    Newcastle - 26 Points
    February 23 - Newcastle United v Huddersfield Town
    February 27 - Newcastle United v Burnley

    March 02 - West Ham United v Newcastle United
    March 09 - Newcastle United v Everton
    March 16 - A.F.C. Bournemouth v Newcastle United
    March 30 - Arsenal v Newcastle United
    April 06 - Newcastle United v Crystal Palace
    April 13 - Leicester City v Newcastle United
    April 20 - Newcastle United v Southampton
    April 27 - Brighton v Newcastle United
    May 04 - Newcastle United v Liverpool
    May 12 - Fulham v Newcastle United


    Cardiff - 25 Points
    February 23 — Cardiff City v Watford
    February 26 — Cardiff City v Everton

    March 2 — Wolverhampton v Cardiff City
    March 9 — Cardiff City v West Ham United
    March 16 — Brighton v Cardiff City
    March 30 — Cardiff City v Chelsea
    April 6 — Manchester City v Cardiff City
    April 13 — Burnley v Cardiff City
    April 20 — Cardiff City v Liverpool
    April 27 — Fulham v Cardiff City
    May 4 — Cardiff City v Crystal Palace
    May 12 — Manchester United v Cardiff City


    Saints - 24 Points
    February 24 - Arsenal v Southampton
    February 27 - Southampton v Fulham
    March 02 - Manchester United v Southampton
    March 09 - Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur
    March 16 - Watford v Southampton
    March 30 - Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton
    April 06 - Southampton v Liverpool
    April 13 - Southampton v Wolverhampton Wanderers

    April 20 - Newcastle v Southampton
    April 27 - Southampton v Bournemouth
    May 04 - West Ham United v Southampton
    May 12 - Southampton v Huddersfield
    Last edited by Saint Garrett; 12-02-2019 at 01:13 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Need to consider Brighton and Burnleys fixtures too, both still in the mix. Think Palace will be ok

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Goal difference is always a good indicator of calibre of team...and a good predictor of final position (not always yes yes). On current form Brighton have to be part of the mix. Newcastle have home form which is enough to keep them up IMO and Palace have goal-scorers and an organised defence. On goal difference only Cardiff and Burnley are teams above us with worse goal differences. We have to pray Burnley's recovery bubble bursts although that doesn't look like happening. So Cardiff are the ones we have to stay ahead of...underlines again what a disastrous result Saturday was.
    As has been said many times - the board are culpable of gross negligence in not bringing in more goal-scoring power in the January transfer window. We need a couple of shock results - like a fluky win against Arsenal at the Emirates!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    What the f*cks it got to do with you?
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    There's at least 20 points we should take from those games. But then we 'should' have beaten Cardiff...

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    26,976

    Default

    Newcastle wont go down. They have by far the better set of fixtures

  6. #6

    Default

    We need to win those four away games against the lesser teams otherwise we are in serious trouble.
    Forget about the home games as we will scrape two draws out of it because our home form is dibolical.

  7. #7

    Default

    Did one of those predictor thingies because i was bored and had us coming 16th, was surprised how hard Burnley's run in was to be honest.

  8. #8

    Default

    Cardiff's two home games versus Watford and Everton will be key.

    We need their momentum to stall pretty quickly.

    Fulham and absolute must win for us. Lose or draw and we will need to beat either Arsenal, Spurs or United (at least).

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    26,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    We need to win those four away games against the lesser teams otherwise we are in serious trouble.
    Forget about the home games as we will scrape two draws out of it because our home form is dibolical.
    someone said about a month ago we only needed to win one more game
    horseshyt

  10. Default

    Newcastle arguably have the 'easiest' run in (playing a chunk of relegation candidates), and Burnley the trickiest.

    For us, there are four key fixtures, Fulham (H), Brighton (A), Newcastle (A), and Huddersfield (H). All winnable, in theory. Throw in a couple of draws against the mid-table teams, and we should be okay

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    7,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    Newcastle arguably have the 'easiest' run in (playing a chunk of relegation candidates), and Burnley the trickiest.

    For us, there are four key fixtures, Fulham (H), Brighton (A), Newcastle (A), and Huddersfield (H). All winnable, in theory. Throw in a couple of draws against the mid-table teams, and we should be okay
    With all due respect I thought we were currently in the middle of a set of 'key features games', and we ain't exactly doing well. The bottom line is we have to start winning games, any games. Time for some of the players to step up and start delivering, we can't rely on so called 'key games'.

  12. Default

    EDIT: damn quoted the wrong post

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    Newcastle arguably have the 'easiest' run in (playing a chunk of relegation candidates), and Burnley the trickiest.

    For us, there are four key fixtures, Fulham (H), Brighton (A), Newcastle (A), and Huddersfield (H). All winnable, in theory. Throw in a couple of draws against the mid-table teams, and we should be okay

    Key games seems to be the ones where we **** the bed. We need wins and fast, draws not enough. Hopefully some of those fixtures that we aren't expected to win are where we grab maximum points.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,490

    Default

    I think it'll come down to the last day between us and Cardiff, and I think we'll be in the bottom 3 beforehand. So would need us to beat an already relegated Huddersfield and hope United do the job against Cardiff...

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    I think it'll come down to the last day between us and Cardiff, and I think we'll be in the bottom 3 beforehand. So would need us to beat an already relegated Huddersfield and hope United do the job against Cardiff...
    And then we can look forward to yet another season of the same. Nothing is going to change with this useless owner and board. Relegation might be the one thing that will bring change.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    someone said about a month ago we only needed to win one more game
    horseshyt
    This season you only need to win five games and you're safe. FACT. Someone's mate said so and he does the numbers for a betting company so he would know.

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    Newcastle arguably have the 'easiest' run in (playing a chunk of relegation candidates), and Burnley the trickiest.

    For us, there are four key fixtures, Fulham (H), Brighton (A), Newcastle (A), and Huddersfield (H). All winnable, in theory. Throw in a couple of draws against the mid-table teams, and we should be okay
    Perfect time to play West Ham and Bournemouth with both likely to be in mid table obscurity. I back us to get 4 points from that

  18. #18

    Default

    Whilst people will mention Burnley, Brighton, Palace, Newcastle I think its essentially between us and Cardiff for the final relegation spot.

    This week has been an absolute killer for us.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,490

    Default

    Since that dope Stephens put his arm in the air it's all gone to pot.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    Newcastle arguably have the 'easiest' run in (playing a chunk of relegation candidates), and Burnley the trickiest.

    For us, there are four key fixtures, Fulham (H), Brighton (A), Newcastle (A), and Huddersfield (H). All winnable, in theory. Throw in a couple of draws against the mid-table teams, and we should be okay
    All winnable, trouble is we **** winnable games up.

    We won't beat Fulham, can't see us beating Newcastle either tbh.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,455

    Default

    Brighton have some very winnable home games left, can’t see them not getting enough points, they tend to be quite strong at home.

    Think this January’s window has f*cked us to be honest. The club thought they had hired a managerial genius so decided to pocket some cash and it has back-fired.
    Last edited by aintforever; 11-02-2019 at 09:45 PM.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    26,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Brighton have some very winnable home games left, can’t see them not getting enough points, they tend to be quite strong at home.

    Think this January’s window has f*cked us to be honest. The club thought they had hired a managerial genius so decided to pocket some cash and it has back-fired.
    What you said (I think) is about right.
    May as well go down now as it is only a matter of time with our current owner.

  23. Default

    Every successful relegation battle I’ve seen, and it must be over a dozen there’s always results and weekends when you think “that’s it, we’re done”. We gave up 4 points to Stoke last season, this corresponding weekend last season we lost 2-0 at home to Liverpool and then went 7 games without a win, including 2 disgraceful performances at West Ham and Newcastle. We still stayed up, despite it looking increasingly unlikely. I think we’re a better side and have a better manager than last season, and we look a decent threat away from home.

    It’s a 12 game season and I’d back us to get 1 more point than Cardiff do. Our last 8 look tasty, with only Liverpool a real toughie & Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham, Wolves with nothing really to play for. And of course there’s Huddersfield last day.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    26,976

    Default

    Wolves score

    Insurance bets come in

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hackedoff View Post
    And then we can look forward to yet another season of the same. Nothing is going to change with this useless owner and board. Relegation might be the one thing that will bring change.
    If by "change" you mean very possible administration and plummeting down the leagues, I agree.

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Every successful relegation battle I’ve seen, and it must be over a dozen there’s always results and weekends when you think “that’s it, we’re done”. We gave up 4 points to Stoke last season, this corresponding weekend last season we lost 2-0 at home to Liverpool and then went 7 games without a win, including 2 disgraceful performances at West Ham and Newcastle. We still stayed up, despite it looking increasingly unlikely. I think we’re a better side and have a better manager than last season, and we look a decent threat away from home.

    It’s a 12 game season and I’d back us to get 1 more point than Cardiff do. Our last 8 look tasty, with only Liverpool a real toughie & Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham, Wolves with nothing really to play for. And of course there’s Huddersfield last day.
    Good points, except we do have a weaker squad. Minus Gabbi, Cedric and Tadic in particular. A much better manager of course, but we are reliant on Ings getting (and staying) fit soon, and other key players (Redmond in particular) not getting injured.

  27. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Good points, except we do have a weaker squad. Minus Gabbi, Cedric and Tadic in particular. A much better manager of course, but we are reliant on Ings getting (and staying) fit soon, and other key players (Redmond in particular) not getting injured.
    I know Gabbi got the Swansea winner, but he really didn’t contribute much else. If we say Ings will play half the remaining games, he’ll give us more in those 6 games than Gabbi did in the run in last season. He’ll get an important winner by the end of the season (as a Gabbi did at Swansea) no doubt about it. JWP, Romeu, PEH and Redmond are in far better form this season, Armstrong will contribute, maybe not as much as Tadic, but he’ll do a job. Remember we had Wes last season as well, Vesty is far better the last few weeks. Overall the improvement in certain players, and the contributions from Ings and Armstrong will easily make up for the loss of Tadic, Cedric & Gabbi.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    7,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    I know Gabbi got the Swansea winner, but he really didn’t contribute much else. If we say Ings will play half the remaining games, he’ll give us more in those 6 games than Gabbi did in the run in last season. He’ll get an important winner by the end of the season (as a Gabbi did at Swansea) no doubt about it. JWP, Romeu, PEH and Redmond are in far better form this season, Armstrong will contribute, maybe not as much as Tadic, but he’ll do a job. Remember we had Wes last season as well, Vesty is far better the last few weeks. Overall the improvement in certain players, and the contributions from Ings and Armstrong will easily make up for the loss of Tadic, Cedric & Gabbi.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't share your confidence with any of that, but I bloody hope you are right.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fulchester
    Posts
    9,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Newcastle wont go down. They have by far the better set of fixtures
    Yes, they've got a lot of their really tough fixtures out of the way already.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,062

    Default

    The simple fact is that we our games left include home games against the two most likely to be bottom two, 2 away games against team who are relegation rivals, 2 home and 2 away against mid table teams with nothing to play for. Our run in is okay, if we can’t get 14 points from those 8 games we deserve to go down.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the frontline in Locks Heath
    Posts
    6,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    The simple fact is that we our games left include home games against the two most likely to be bottom two, 2 away games against team who are relegation rivals, 2 home and 2 away against mid table teams with nothing to play for. Our run in is okay, if we can’t get 14 points from those 8 games we deserve to go down.
    Sounds plausible. Trouble is we deserve to go down after some of the diabolical results we’ve witnessed this season even after Ralph has been in place. If I were a betting man, I’d put good money on us going down. The Board have completely let the club and it’s supporters down once again by ignoring the warning signs and complacently not signing a decent striker.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    The simple fact is that we our games left include home games against the two most likely to be bottom two, 2 away games against team who are relegation rivals, 2 home and 2 away against mid table teams with nothing to play for. Our run in is okay, if we can’t get 14 points from those 8 games we deserve to go down.
    We can't.
    We won't.
    We do.
    We will.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    The simple fact is that we our games left include home games against the two most likely to be bottom two, 2 away games against team who are relegation rivals, 2 home and 2 away against mid table teams with nothing to play for. Our run in is okay, if we can’t get 14 points from those 8 games we deserve to go down.
    Bournemouth @home and WHU away right at the end of the season play into the hands of “on the beach, we’re safe” so really we should pick up points there

  34. #34

    Default

    I can definitely see Cardiff getting points in their next 2 games both at home against Watford and Everton, both sides capable of rolling over.
    Bound to be a few twists but I've got a feeling we'll go this year.
    Having had a long break between games we face 3 in 7 days , can see Ralph saving players for the Fulham game and mixing it up in likely defeats away at Arsenal and Man Utd, especially if Ings is still out for all 3.

  35. #35

    Default

    I'd also reckon we are probably stronger away with our set up, we have performed better against team that try to play us, i.e Arsenal, Everton etc. hopefully we'll have an improved performance against West Ham as well who are very beatable. Getting Ings is key.

    I don't really care about anyone else, more than enough winnable games there.

    I'd also reckon Brighton might be worrying a bit, they are going into poor form at the wrong time.

    You especially have to look at those last 5 all winnable IMO. Plus I fancy us for upsetting another top 6 team, the way we play suits someone that attacks us and I think we could surprise one of those teams there, Utd and Arsenal are the likeliest candidates for bonus points, also maybe Spurs at home.
    Last edited by tajjuk; 12-02-2019 at 08:07 AM.

  36. Default The Run In Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wild-saint View Post
    Bournemouth @home and WHU away right at the end of the season play into the hands of “on the beach, we’re safe” so really we should pick up points there
    Defo. Add Wolves & Watford to that then Huddersfield home last day. If we get past spurs game within 3 or 4 points of Cardiff, Brighton or Burnley, we should be fine.

    Post 9/3 we have Liverpool left.

    Burnley have Liverpool, Chelsea, Man C and Arsenal, 3 of their last 4 against top 6 sides, with a trip to Goodison for Everton’s last home game the one in between.

    Cardiff have Chelsea, Man C, Liverpool & Man Utd

    Brighton have Spurs, Arsenal & Man C. (And more importantly us).
    .

    If we can’t get out of that, we really do deserve to go down.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lord Duckhunter; 12-02-2019 at 10:59 AM.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Defo. Add Wolves & Watford to that then Huddersfield home last day. If we get past spurs game within 3 or 4 points of Cardiff, Brighton or Burnley, we should be fine.

    Post 9/3 we have Liverpool left.

    Burnley have Liverpool, Chelsea, Man C and Arsenal, 3 of their last 4 against top 6 sides, with a trip to Goodison for Everton’s last home game the one in between.

    Cardiff have Chelsea, Man C, Liverpool & Man Utd

    Brighton have Spurs, Arsenal & Man C. (And more importantly us).
    .

    If we can’t get out of that, we really do deserve to go down.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    its the getting past Spurs and only being 3/4 points behind Cardiff, Burnley or Brighton that concerns me most otherwise yeah fair enough.

  38. #38

    Default

    There is certainly a real chance of us being "cut adrift" after the next four, so it's imperative that we beat Fulham now, and nick a point or two from the other 3 games.

    You'd like to think everyone won't go and pick up in form over the next few weeks - Burnley seem to have sorted themselves out so don't see them being in it tbh.

  39. #39

    Default

    Picking up just 2 points from the last 3 (6-pointer) games is pretty much disastrous, 3 of the next 4 are just about write-offs but even Fulham is a real pressure game now. They'll be looking at their fixtures, our shortcomings, and see this as game to pick up points. Let's hope we've got a goal-scorer back for this.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    With the current prospects I believe it will be us or Cardiff who go down. Watching Saints as I have since the late '50s I see a pattern emerging where we struggle much to achieve little. If the achievable points are actually gained then we have to look at others failing. Like so many posters have already said Our Board has to accept responsibility for our plight but Ralph's selection last Saturday was also lacking. If we do scrape through then there will be a massive clear out in the summer but Mr. Goa has to put his hands into his pocket too.It will be interesting to see who is in our 'retained list' come July whatever division we are in. I haven't given up but the future looks doubtful to say the least.

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    I know Gabbi got the Swansea winner, but he really didn’t contribute much else. If we say Ings will play half the remaining games, he’ll give us more in those 6 games than Gabbi did in the run in last season. He’ll get an important winner by the end of the season (as a Gabbi did at Swansea) no doubt about it. JWP, Romeu, PEH and Redmond are in far better form this season, Armstrong will contribute, maybe not as much as Tadic, but he’ll do a job. Remember we had Wes last season as well, Vesty is far better the last few weeks. Overall the improvement in certain players, and the contributions from Ings and Armstrong will easily make up for the loss of Tadic, Cedric & Gabbi.
    I don't share your confidence with any of that, but I bloody hope you are right.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wild-saint View Post
    Bournemouth @home and WHU away right at the end of the season play into the hands of “on the beach, we’re safe” so really we should pick up points there
    Indeed Watford away is on FA Cup quarter final weekend so every chance that will be moved later in the season and fall in the same category.

    Would also suggest, as frustrating as the weekends result was, Fulham, Bournemouth and Huddersfield are all likely to be easier sides to break down at home than either Palace or Cardiff were.

  43. Default

    I did a predictor on excel for the remaining games for each team just now, and I have Cardiff going down, but Saints just above them.
    Probably because I saw how poor Cardiff were on Saturday and I can't see other opponents making it easy for them.

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,069
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huffton View Post
    There's at least 20 points we should take from those games. But then we 'should' have beaten Cardiff...
    Conservatively I get 14points form that, giving us 38points. Be unlucky to go down with that. I also think that Ralph will get a few extra.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •