Gordon Banks

kwsaint

Whilst i have been quite cold to the Sala incident , I feel sadness to someone who really did make an impact on my life.

I still think his save against Pele in the 1970 world cu is the greastest save I have seen in my lifetime. I also recall seeing him concede a funny owngoal at the Dell when he was lobbed by his defender.

A great man and seems to me a gentleman and role model. RIP

I have to say that is one to moisten the eyes on hearing the sad news of.

Boyhood hero for many, probably made having to stand between the jumpers up the park for a kick about with your mates a bit more acceptable.

I can remember the front page of the paper following the car accident that saw the end of his international career due to the loss of his eye: a shock to the nation.

Alas that football team in the sky has just acquired a brilliant Goalie.

RIP Sir.

Either we are getting so old that Gordon Banks mean little, but isn't it interesting that there are only 4 posts on here regarding his death but a footballer who never set foot on a pitch here has 7pages of posts.

Well, I'm knocking on 40 soon and I never saw the guy play live. He didn't have any connection to Saints that I am aware of and died in utterly normal circumstances, by the sounds of it.

By all accounts he was a quality player and clearly an England legend though, and deserves to be remembered as such. But I'm not sure I have anything to say.

I could give it a R.I.P or a sad face if that would help the thread along?

Privileged to have seen him play at The Dell. Best keeper have ever seen and for England you never felt he would get beaten easily. Safe as the Banks of England.

I know that save was outstanding but the penalty stop from Hurst was amazing too.

Sad day for us old gits Rip Gordon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Whilst i have been quite cold to the Sala incident , I feel sadness to someone who really did make an impact on my life.

I still think his save against Pele in the 1970 world cu is the greastest save I have seen in my lifetime. I also recall seeing him concede a funny owngoal at the Dell when he was lobbed by his defender.

A great man and seems to me a gentleman and role model. RIP

Why the fck mention Sala?

Either we are getting so old that Gordon Banks mean little, but isn't it interesting that there are only 4 posts on here regarding his death but a footballer who never set foot on a pitch here has 7pages of posts.

Is it interesting you sad fck?

I can see where you coming from benji but to us old farts it is a really sad day . Probably the only goalkeeper who came close to him in my memory would be Lev Yashin.

Yeah, I get that. It's interesting to hear people's thoughts on players "before my time", as it were.

The best 'keeper I've ever seen at Saints was Niemi, by a mile, yet everyone a bit older than me says Shilton was our best. To my mind, that means Shilton must have been incredible. Yet my abiding memory of him is that bloody German free-kick looping into the net!

I'm actually a little stunned by this.... You think a very well know footballer passing at the age of 81 is somehow more important than a current top level, though much less well known, footballer dying in tragic circumstances?? Gordon Banks is one of England's all time greats, but his passing at this time pales in comparison.

And you're also ignoring that fact that a huge amount of the Sala thread is discussing how the event occurred, as well as a fair bit of mean spirited comments about Cardiff milking it for all it's worth and it somehow being OK for a couple of Saints fans to mock Cardiff supporters about the tragedy. Relatively little of the posts is in tribute to the player.

For all that, it is indeed sad that one of Englands greatest players has passed. RIP Gordon

I'm actually a little stunned by this.... You think a very well know footballer passing at the age of 81 is somehow more important than a current top level, though much less well known, footballer dying in tragic circumstances?? Gordon Banks is one of England's all time greats, but his passing at this time pales in comparison.

And you're also ignoring that fact that a huge amount of the Sala thread is discussing how the event occurred, as well as a fair bit of mean spirited comments about Cardiff milking it for all it's worth and it somehow being OK for a couple of Saints fans to mock Cardiff supporters about the tragedy. Relatively little of the posts is in tribute to the player.

For all that, it is indeed sad that one of Englands greatest players has passed. RIP Gordon

Sorry this was in response to OldNick (forum posting fail....)

Yeah, I get that. It's interesting to hear people's thoughts on players "before my time", as it were.

The best 'keeper I've ever seen at Saints was Niemi, by a mile, yet everyone a bit older than me says Shilton was our best. To my mind, that means Shilton must have been incredible. Yet my abiding memory of him is that bloody German free-kick looping into the net!

Niemi was outstanding and that triple v Arsenal hasnt been surpassed st SMS.

Remember how you felt in semi v Watford when you heard Jones was in goal...that was how we felt in 1970 .

Shilton was an amazing keeper but...ok old gits licence..nowhere near Gordon at his best.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

God bless him, a lovely guy and brilliant keeper.

I'm old enough to remember the 66 final, sadly all these icons are leaving us now which makes you realise your own mortality. Time for a large libation me thinks. Rip Gordon, thanks for the memories and given me the joy of watching the best save ever.

By far the best goalkeeper I have ever seen. I remember cursing when Pele headed the ball down in the corner and couldn’t believe it when the ball didn’t go it. But that wasn’t a one off. He made goalkeeping look easy which, of course, it isn’t. I saw him play for Stoke against Fulham. There was a shot from about 20 yards out that Banks moved to save but it hit a defender and changed direction. He was in midair but somehow twisted the other way and put the ball over the bar. My brother and I just looked at each other and said how on earth did he do that? A true sporting legend and by all accounts a decent human being too.

RIP Gordon.

Saw him in action a few times, certainly a very instinctive and effective goalkeeper in the days when athleticism was not part of a player's portfolio, footballs weighed about a half tonne when wet and moved proportionately slower so hard to judge how he fits in the pantheon of the all time greats. The Pele save did not help us win the world cup sadly but glad that he achieved that goal in 1966. Sad end to his career. RIP

A goalkeeper is only as good as the 10 players in front of him (old Finnish proverb).