The Reddy Redemption

Dusic

Is there a greater Saints example of a player turning their career around at Saints than Nathan Redmond?

This time last year he wasn't even being picked in a squad of a truely dross team. Had just been booed off the pitch at an away game at Wembley which would have been totally shattering.

This year he has been, without doubt, our player of the season and has largely been excellent in a below average team.

Took the initiative this summer to get really sharp and focused when most modern players would just seek to move on.

Really good attitude and is a leader of the team on the pitch. Without him and Hasenhuttl we would probably be where Fulham are now.

Should we lock him up and stop him training because if he picks up an injury we are in trouble?

To answer my own question, in recent times I can only think of Kelvin Davis, but I think Redmond had more factors against him.

Can anyone recall others?

ce57cce7bf1c5b1856832c5d62af7ef2.jpg

He's finally showing some form after nearly two years of contributing very little, so I am not going to get carried away. If he continues it then great, but its far too early to tell if he has genuinely started to reach his potential and mature into a good player, or whether this is just a purple patch of good form and he'll return to the ineffective player he was.

I mean for all his improvement, it should be noted he has the same amount of league goals as Ward-Prowse and Armstrong have in more than twice the game time.

He's finally showing some form after nearly two years of contributing very little, so I am not going to get carried away. If he continues it then great, but its far too early to tell if he has genuinely started to reach his potential and mature into a good player, or whether this is just a purple patch of good form and he'll return to the ineffective player he was.

I mean for all his improvement, it should be noted he has the same amount of league goals as Ward-Prowse and Armstrong have in more than twice the game time.

yeah agreed there, i've always maintained he'll never be a top 6 player or someone who'll push us to 7th/8th the way Mane/Tadic did

a midtable PL player finally showing the midtable qualities he has

Fair play to him a massive improvement this season, I really didn't Rate him last season and his decision making infuriated me.

He could still do with improving his decision making and is still not perfect but without him at minute we would have no pace and spark up front or anyone to carry the ball.

The improvement of redmond also can show how important it is to get a a long consistent run in the side going.. who is to say boufal couldn't have done just as well if playing every game of the season like redmond is. It's very difficult to just make a mark getting the odd start or sub appearance.. yet with our fans players suddenly turn into useless as soon as they are not making the team or scoring in sub appearances. I also still believe Ramirez would have done a good job of playing every week, he got a bit unlucky that we had the likes of lallana and j-rod doing the business at the time but always looked capable of creating or grabbing a goal even in limited minutes.

The pundits on MOTD and other such programmes have pretty much raved about him since he got here.

The supporters treatment of him has been nothing short of disgraceful, I wouldn’t blame him in the slightest if the first offer he gets he’s offski. Of course the supporters who slagged him off, will probably be the first to call him disloyal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pundits on MOTD and other such programmes have pretty much raved about him since he got here.

The supporters treatment of him has been nothing short of disgraceful, I wouldn’t blame him in the slightest if the first offer he gets he’s offski. Of course the supporters who slagged him off, will probably be the first to call him disloyal

dont ever stop cleaning the windows of your ivory tower will you !

supporters treatment of him has been no worse, or better, than his attitude on the pitch most of the time. I’ve never ever seen a player wearing a Saints shirt who has been so quick to blame everyone but himself when he screws up.

He’s having a good spell, he had one under Puel as well. But it has to last more than a couple of months

dont ever stop cleaning the windows of your ivory tower will you !

supporters treatment of him has been no worse, or better, than his attitude on the pitch most of the time. I’ve never ever seen a player wearing a Saints shirt who has been so quick to blame everyone but himself when he screws up.

He’s having a good spell, he had one under Puel as well. But it has to last more than a couple of months

LD is right the booing of him and the ridicule he recieved for Puels Henry comments was ****. I can't understand why a young player coming through the ranks gets decent support whilst a young player bought from another club doesn't.

LD is right the booing of him and the ridicule he recieved for Puels Henry comments was ****. I can't understand why a young player coming through the ranks gets decent support whilst a young player bought from another club doesn't.

Probably because he was poor and had a LOADS of chances over the last two years to do something, but never did. He has been bad for like two years, started this season better but still didn't contribute anything of note, and only really started having an impact under Ralf. Which also happened for several other players as well, like JWP, who has improved under Ralf.

Redmond IMO has got far less slagging off then JWP has over the years IMO, despite JWP getting far less opportunities and doing more with them as well and IMO having a better attitude on the pitch as well.

Redmond arrived with the attitude of Ronaldo....

He was (still is) a raw talent, but thought he was something special. He even acknowledges as much is recent interviews

Stray passes followed by mini tantrums and arm waving is not going to make you popular with fans.

His stats were v poor and his moaning with v high.... Hence why he was unpopular among fans.

He's improved, but he's still not as good as he thought he was

Redmond arrived with the attitude of Ronaldo....

He was (still is) a raw talent, but thought he was something special. He even acknowledges as much is recent interviews

Stray passes followed by mini tantrums and arm waving is not going to make you popular with fans.

His stats were v poor and his moaning with v high.... Hence why he was unpopular among fans.

He's improved, but he's still not as good as he thought he was

All of this

Probably because he was poor and had a LOADS of chances over the last two years to do something, but never did. He has been bad for like two years, started this season better but still didn't contribute anything of note, and only really started having an impact under Ralf. Which also happened for several other players as well, like JWP, who has improved under Ralf.

Redmond IMO has got far less slagging off then JWP has over the years IMO, despite JWP getting far less opportunities and doing more with them as well and IMO having a better attitude on the pitch as well.

It’s funny that Shearer & other pundits rated him and said so, whilst our supporters claimed he was “poor”.

At the game JWP has never received anywhere near the abuse or moans that Redmond got, nowhere ****ing near.

It’s funny that Shearer & other pundits rated him and said so, whilst our supporters claimed he was “poor”.

At the game JWP has never received anywhere near the abuse or moans that Redmond got, nowhere ****ing near.

All part of the hype generated around player we develop

Totally this. JWP over a long time has been moaned on here but I can't recall an overly negative reaction during a game that was anywhere near the humiliation Redmond must have felt at Wembley - and on other occassions.