Terry Hurlock article.

AdrianC

I heard a story that Terry Hurlock took a beating from a well known local tough at a club in the bottom of town during his time at Saints.

Cant remember the local lads name but do remember he gave me a bit of stick when I was running the line in a local game.

Needless to say I didnt offer any rebuttals.

He was voted Brentford’s fifth best ever player. Brentford. Fifth!

He isn’t the worst ever player I have seen play for us but he would certainly make it into my worst ever Saints XI.

I must have missed his better performances but do remember one game when he seemed to get through the whole 90 minutes without touching the ball. He came from an era when 3rd and 4th division players were mainly cloggers and hoofers. It would be hard to imagine him having a career in professional football if he was playing nowadays. I used to play against people like him every week on park pitches. He said himself that he couldn’t get anywhere near decent players unless he was just kicking them. As has been said, one of Branfoot’s finest!

A bit unfair, we signed him in the twilight of his career. He was a terrific player at Millwall and Rangers, was from memory player of the year at Rangers at a time when they had a string of England current internationals playing for them during the era when English teams were banned from playing in Europe

He would be nowhere near a worst 11 side.

He played 132 top flight games in England, 557 in total. Won England B caps ( scored for them as well), and won the double in Scotland. Yet people seem to think they’ve seen better on the local parks pitch’s. It always makes me laugh how people under estimate how good you have to be to make it and play regularly in the professional game.

There have been plenty worse than him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He would be nowhere near a worst 11 side.

He played 132 top flight games in England, 557 in total. Won England B caps ( scored for them as well), and won the double in Scotland. Yet people seem to think they’ve seen better on the local parks pitch’s. It always makes me laugh how people under estimate how good you have to be to make it and play regularly in the professional game.

There have been plenty worse than him.

I beg to differ Duckie, but then you are stuck in a 70’s time warp where women are “chicks” and “birds” and cloggers could make a living in professional football. Fortunately the world has moved on and that is mostly no longer the case. By his own admission he was a clogger. 3 England B caps? They clearly had a look at him and thought “no thanks.” For the record, Vinnie Jones, another clogger, got 9 full Welsh caps. Would you have been happy to see Jim in a Saints shirt? However he performed for the likes of Brentford, Millwall and Rangers, my memories of him playing for us are not good ones.

I beg to differ Duckie, but then you are stuck in a 70’s time warp where women are “chicks” and “birds” and cloggers could make a living in professional football. Fortunately the world has moved on and that is mostly no longer the case. By his own admission he was a clogger. 3 England B caps? They clearly had a look at him and thought “no thanks.” For the record, Vinnie Jones, another clogger, got 9 full Welsh caps. Would you have been happy to see Jim in a Saints shirt? However he performed for the likes of Brentford, Millwall and Rangers, my memories of him playing for us are not good ones.

What are you waffling on about, Jim who?

So he only won 3 B caps, that’s 3 more then these mythical blokes you played against, and 3 more than 90% of professional footballers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't Hurlock the one responsible for bashing David Speedie with the ashtray during an Ian Branfoot team 'bonding' session in Guernsey? If so, he wasn't all bad.

The only other Hurlock story I recall from his time with us, was that he and Groves were occasionally seen being helped into a taxi at closing time around Bedford Place.

What are you waffling on about, Jim who?

So he only won 3 B caps, that’s 3 more then these mythical blokes you played against, and 3 more than 90% of professional footballers.

Can only assume it was the dreaded predictive text Duckie as the word should be him and not Jim. Interesting how much time and energy you are giving to supporting a boozy thug yet you happily slagged off a decent footballer (Ray Wilkins) because of his drunk driving. You must have been in your element in the “Alehouse” days ;

I often remember sitting at the Dell remarking to my mates that he was nowhere near the 'one trick pony' that he was made out to be and that his range of passing at times was surprisingly good !

His reputation tended to precede him but he did play his part in teams of his generation !

Absolutely do not agree that he was one of our worst ever players !!

I often remember sitting at the Dell remarking to my mates that he was nowhere near the 'one trick pony' that he was made out to be and that his range of passing at times was surprisingly good !

His reputation tended to precede him but he did play his part in teams of his generation !

Absolutely do not agree that he was one of our worst ever players !!

Careful Soggy will be calling you a 70’s throwback.

I heard a story that Terry Hurlock took a beating from a well known local tough at a club in the bottom of town during his time at Saints.

Cant remember the local lads name but do remember he gave me a bit of stick when I was running the line in a local game.

Needless to say I didnt offer any rebuttals.

Outside Parkers. I heard from someone that was there that he gave as good as he got and was ‘hard as f*ck’.