Arsenal (A) - Build-up thread

Pamplemousse

I've captained Aubameyang for my fantasy premier league, but I fully expect us to lose 1-0 and him not to get on the score-sheet anyway.

McCarthy

Valery-Yoshida-Bednarek-Vestegaard-Bertrand

JWP-Romeu-PEH

Redmond-Long

This is what I expect the team to be, but personally I would put Armstrong in over JWP/Romeu if he is fit/available.

I presume Lemina and Obafemi remain out, as Ings is anyway.

This might be a really good game to try Redmond in the center forward role. He is quick and a good outlet, maybe we could go:

McCarthy

Yoshida Bednarek Vestergaard

Valery PEH Romeu Bertrand

JWP Redmond Armstrong

Obviously not ideal but with Ings out at least he can score unlike the other forwards we might use. Plus it allows us to play JWP and Armstrong without having to compromise on a decent DM, making us a lot more creative. We miss out on a traditional target man but I think when you play quick on the break then a 9 isn't always the most useful thing anyway.

Michael Obafemi is 18 and a good prospect! At the age of 17, Shearer netted a hat-trick on his full debut at The Dell in a 4-2 win over Arsenal...Have some faith, Ralph see's something in him. He has pace and an eye for goal unlike Long.

Shearer also didn’t miss about 3 open goals in his first 5 appearances! :lol:

fingers crossed he’ll come back and score 10 goals between now and the end of the season, but we’re obviously asking a lot of him!

Arsenal have to overcome a tricky 2nd leg against BATE Borisov on Thursday night having lost the first leg 1-0 in Belarus, i expect them to get through but hopefully playing a strong team and not resting key players.

Our winter sun break in Tenerife will have helped Ralph make his mark, but I'm not sure how he'll approach this fixture with the massive game to come at home to Fulham a few days later.

fingers crossed he’ll come back and score 10 goals between now and the end of the season, but we’re obviously asking a lot of him!

I am not comparing him to Shearer! I am comparing him to Long who is Sh!t Fact

Michael Obafemi is 18 and a good prospect! At the age of 17, Shearer netted a hat-trick on his full debut at The Dell in a 4-2 win over Arsenal...Have some faith, Ralph see's something in him. He has pace and an eye for goal unlike Long.

Really ? One scuffed goal against Huddersfield doesn't mask the easier chances he's missed.

I accept he's young and allowing for the rush of blood to the head when these chances come his way we have to bear with him and hope he comes good in front of goal but from his limited starts he hasn't looked an out and out goalscorer.

Arsenal have to overcome a tricky 2nd leg against BATE Borisov on Thursday night having lost the first leg 1-0 in Belarus, i expect them to get through but hopefully playing a strong team and not resting key players.

Our winter sun break in Tenerife will have helped Ralph make his mark, but I'm not sure how he'll approach this fixture with the massive game to come at home to Fulham a few days later.

given his (albneit v short) history here (chelsea and man C) im assuming we will be focusing on the Fulham game. That said its been a huge break so people should have some energy level. Not sure which way he'll go. Prob have to go hard at sall our games really to be fair as you never know with arsenal and our style it could be more winnable than fulham!

Would go something like...

-------------------------Gunn---------------------------

-----------Bednarek--Yoshida--Vestergaard-----------

Valery-----------------Romeu------------------Bertrand

------------JWP-------------------Hojbjerg-------------

-----------------------Redmond------------------------

-------------------------Long----------------------------

Press them hard, and try and hit them on the counter. You can get at them for sure. Can easily win that midfield battle against Guendozi and Torreira like we did at home.

1-1.

If there is a top 6 side right now that is probably there for the taking, even away, then its probably Arsenal, maybe Chelsea, neither are in good form and have issues.

Their results have not been great recently, lost at Borisov, only just managed to beat Huddersfield and Cardiff, lost to City, lost to Utd in the cup, and lost to West Ham. Their only real convincing win of late was at home to Chelsea.

We also seem more set up for games like this, than breaking down deep defences like Cardiff, so I fancy us for a bonus point here.

Presuming we pick up no injuries this week, I'd presume almost everyone bar Ings is available, maybe even Lemina might make it back to training this week and Ings might hopefully be available for the Fulham game.

Edited by tajjuk

Days before the debut hat-trick, Shearer came on as a sub away at Oxford. Just before the end of the game he had a great chance, running on to a through ball, which he put over the roof of the home end. It took sheare a while to become the goal machine that we sold to Blackburn.

Obafemi does look a better option than Long, but I am not expecting loads of goals from him straight away. The only youngster that has done that in my lifetime is Steve Moran.

What! You cannot be serious. Obviously you have never watched Obafemi over the years.

What! You cannot be serious. Obviously you have never watched Obafemi over the years.

Beggars cannot be choosers, we do not have a lot to pick from and I would have Obafemi over Long any day…Long is an absolute waste of time and he’s never going to get any better!

Beggars cannot be choosers, we do not have a lot to pick from and I would have Obafemi over Long any day…Long is an absolute waste of time and he’s never going to get any better!

He's an Arsenal fan, he's worried.....

A bit of weight building on his young shoulders already but we ain't got a lot of options. Unfortunately we can't rely on Ings through injuries, I'd agree with going with Redmond up top and bolster midfield for this.

Beggars cannot be choosers, we do not have a lot to pick from and I would have Obafemi over Long any day. Long is an absolute waste of time and he's never going to get any better!

I can't understand this approach. Sure, Long is average on a good day, but that doesn't suddenly make Obafemi good enough, which he isn't.

I can't understand this approach. Sure, Long is average on a good day, but that doesn't suddenly make Obafemi good enough, which he isn't.

Would it not be better to play a youngster who isn't good enough, but is likely to improve with games, than an oldie, who isn't good enough, never has been, and never will be. Just asking?

Would it not be better to play a youngster who isn't good enough, but is likely to improve with games, than an oldie, who isn't good enough, never has been, and never will be. Just asking?

He was good once as I saw him tear a Villa team apart in a great first half display.

Think it was 4 years ago though :/

That’s the damning nub of the matter, the reliability of having a first touch of a trampoline again and again, against a nipper who maybe raw but has shown nose for where the goal actually is, lost possession alone Obafemi has to be a serious option over Long to reduce that stat. Or do stick with experience and just continue to rotate Long and Austin for the rest of the season.

At least with Obafemi Redmond has someone who can at least keep up with him and offer an option on the break.

There's just no point playing Long. Better to play a kid and let them learn from the experience than a guaranteed non scorer who has lost his pace.

He regularly plays well vs Arsenal, actually scored there last year.

Sod it, should be a good day out, few drinks, no point being pessimistic. It's a free hit. We normally give them a good game up there, and I see no reason why we can't nick something if they have an off day.

More likely to get anything from this than any of the other top 6, however Laca/Auba will probably score, we don't do clean sheets. As long as they stop Redmond then they'll be fine. Defend deep, break fast and hope for the best.

Macca

Yoshi, Bednarak, Vestergaard

Valery, Romeu, Hoj, JWP, Bertrand

Redmond

Austin (loves a goal v Arsenal)

That’s the damning nub of the matter, the reliability of having a first touch of a trampoline again and again, against a nipper who maybe raw but has shown nose for where the goal actually is, lost possession alone Obafemi has to be a serious option over Long to reduce that stat. Or do stick with experience and just continue to rotate Long and Austin for the rest of the season.

At least with Obafemi Redmond has someone who can at least keep up with him and offer an option on the break.

The manager has a choice between various rocks and hard places. Obafemi looked well overweight in the recent training pics, hasn't played in ages, and when he has played has looked very raw. I've seen him lots for the u23's. He has pace, his movement is OK, his touch less so, and finishing needs work. I'm not convinced he's a premier league player.

My point though is that playing a player who is not ready/good enough in place of someone who is past it/not good enough is not the solution. I'd rather see Redmond through the middle away to Arsenal with others playing around him.

People going on about Shearer's debut forget that over the following years he scored very few goals for us per appearance. He was a raw, developing player and the real scoring ability came later. It's not going to develop in Long now, but it could for Obafemi.

Exactly, Shearer was not prolific for us at all. I was gibsmacked whenBlackburn paid a record fee back then. Good business I thought , he was good, but not that good