Fulham (H) build-up thread

Pilchards

Apart from a couple of players this side is Championship quality at best. The only chance to stay up is RH going back to the high press game where it is not so reliant on individuals but discipline and fitness, and if the training sessions have been stepped up fitness should not be a problem.

I cannot understand why RH has not stuck with what gave him most success.

Certainly agree - why has Ralph stopped the pressing - just odd....

This is a 50-50 game...not by any means a walk over or done deal. In fact I would go as far to say we'll end up with a draw or loss. Either would signal our relegation - a win would be great but would not signal our safety.

It is a 50 - 50 game and the scary bit is Fulham look a better attacking side than us.

Predictable saints performance coming up tonight.

Be the better team in a very average first hour, then Fulham will nick one on the counter / against the run of play, and we’ll then grab a late goal to make it 1-1.

It’s really not enjoyable watching us anymore.

Predictable saints performance coming up tonight.

Be the better team in a very average first hour, then Fulham will nick one on the counter / against the run of play, and we’ll then grab a late goal to make it 1-1.

It’s really not enjoyable watching us anymore.

Simce Hasenhuttl came in it has been enjoyable IMO.

Poor results the last couple, but before that we looked a decent side and were getting good results.

Draw puts us safe by goal difference. Small victories and all that

You're right but when you consider the following 2 fixtures it will likely be very short-lived. That's what makes 3 points so important tonight, anything but a win will almost certainly see us back in the bottom 3 after the weekend, and probably the next, and then we have a 3 week break from playing. We could find ourselves down there for weeks to come.

Everyone has to be up for this tonight.

After tonight's results, a gift horse. What will we do?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Well, we will not be playing after a long spell without games. We're always disappointing when we play following a break, so I'm more hopeful than against Arsenal.

Apart from a couple of players this side is Championship quality at best. The only chance to stay up is RH going back to the high press game where it is not so reliant on individuals but discipline and fitness, and if the training sessions have been stepped up fitness should not be a problem.

I cannot understand why RH has not stuck with what gave him most success.

I can't comment on the Arsenal game as I didn't see it.

But it's hard to high press a team with 10 behind the ball looking to go long at every opportunity. Against the likes of Cardiff and Burnley who pack their own half it's hard to press them into mistakes and then capitalise on those mistakes with quick balls forward as they are sat so deep. Teams like that sit deep and wait for you to break them down while looking to sucker punch you. We lack any guile or skill in the current squad to break down teams like that.

We had better luck against the likes of Leicester and Everton because they felt they where good enough to play out from the back and take they game to us. That's when the high press works best.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Big day for RaHa today.

Must win... simple as. Presumably Fulham will try to copy Cardiffs approach.

2 CB (Bed and Yoshi please); Rom sitting in front; Austin upfront; Redmond of course.. then fill in the blanks with anyone who fits the shirt.

Get PEH, Armstrong and JWP to shoot on sight (if they can get it low and vaguely on target......asking too much?)... and hope Austin taps in the rebounds.

Not much of a plan, but it is hard to polish a turd.

But it's hard to high press a team with 10 behind the ball looking to go long at every opportunity. Against the likes of Cardiff and Burnley who pack their own half it's hard to press them into mistakes and then capitalise on those mistakes with quick balls forward as they are sat so deep. Teams like that sit deep and wait for you to break them down while looking to sucker punch you. We lack any guile or skill in the current squad to break down teams like that.

We had better luck against the likes of Leicester and Everton because they felt they where good enough to play out from the back and take they game to us. That's when the high press works best.

Yeh basically this, our style actually suits playing against better teams and probably playing away from home more.

Cardiff parked the bus and we lacked the creativity/clinical finishing to break them down, the kicker though was that they scored from two set pieces, pretty much their only chances of the game which shouldn't happen. But it was still lucky.

Big day for RaHa today.

Must win... simple as. Presumably Fulham will try to copy Cardiffs approach.

2 CB (Bed and Yoshi please); Rom sitting in front; Austin upfront; Redmond of course.. then fill in the blanks with anyone who fits the shirt.

Get PEH, Armstrong and JWP to shoot on sight (if they can get it low and vaguely on target......asking too much?)... and hope Austin taps in the rebounds.

Not much of a plan, but it is hard to polish a turd.

Cardiff were happy with a point (the fact we gifted them 3 is a different matter)

Fulham & in a desperate position & cant afford to sit back - they need 3 points. Fingers crossed that opens the game up a bit.

Cardiff played out from the back most times and there was no press at all...!

Yeh basically this, our style actually suits playing against better teams and probably playing away from home more.

Cardiff parked the bus and we lacked the creativity/clinical finishing to break them down, the kicker though was that they scored from two set pieces, pretty much their only chances of the game which shouldn't happen. But it was still lucky.

Same for Burnley we where within a whisker of all 3pts and screwed it up with poor defending. Been the story of the last few seasons really poor defensive mistakes screwing us out if points.

Cardiff played out from the back most times and there was no press at all...!
Like hell they did. They where happy to sit deep and rarely looked to get out of their own half. They came for a draw and looked to nick a goal with a quick break or set piece. No way can you compare Cardiff's style of play with the likes of Everton or Leicester.

No game is must win when there are still more than enough games and points available. Winning tonight will have a huge impact and it could possibly be the end for Fulham if they get another negative result.

All id like tonight is a committed performance from the players, no huge howling mistakes and if we don't come out on top then so be it. Whatever the result what I do not want to see is the usual suspects saying ' we should have signed a striker in January' 'We shouldn't have let Cedric go' blah blah blah just like they think they have all the obvious answers, when if truth be known they probably have none. The negativity and I told you so after a poor result is just not needed and unfortunately you can not go back in time and change any of it so whats the ****ing point?

Like hell they did. They where happy to sit deep and rarely looked to get out of their own half. They came for a draw and looked to nick a goal with a quick break or set piece. No way can you compare Cardiff's style of play with the likes of Everton or Leicester.

Actually they played out from the back a lot in that game. I did not mention Everton or Leicester....

We did not press Cardiff.... We could have done but didn’t. We have have pressed less and less as the games have passed.

Whilst you can say Cardiff got plenty behind the ball (much of it forced by our right back playing far too high) They did not kick it long all the time. You have to watch the game and just tar a team with no football brush...

We allowed Cardiff to play quite a bit of football in that game.

I've changed my mind about 20 times on what I'd like to see from the line-up tonight. I THINK this is what I want.

Gunn

Valery - Yoshida - Bednarek - Bertrand

Romeu - Hojbjerg

Ward-Prowse - Armstrong

Austin - Redmond

Not sure he'll drop Vestergaard though so I'd be fine with him in over Yoshida. Biggest problem with that is the glaring lack of pace other than Redmond.

Actually they played out from the back a lot in that game. I did not mention Everton or Leicester....

We did not press Cardiff.... We could have done but didn’t. We have have pressed less and less as the games have passed.

Whilst you can say Cardiff got plenty behind the ball (much of it forced by our right back playing far too high) They did not kick it long all the time. You have to watch the game and just tar a team with no football brush...

No we didn't, they were crap. They only scored because we were hopeless defending a corner, allowing them an unchallenged knock down and tap in, followed by Stephens calmly passing them the ball in acres of space in our own half.

No game is must win when there are still more than enough games and points available. Winning tonight will have a huge impact and it could possibly be the end for Fulham if they get another negative result.

All id like tonight is a committed performance from the players, no huge howling mistakes and if we don't come out on top then so be it. Whatever the result what I do not want to see is the usual suspects saying ' we should have signed a striker in January' 'We shouldn't have let Cedric go' blah blah blah just like they think they have all the obvious answers, when if truth be known they probably have none. The negativity and I told you so after a poor result is just not needed and unfortunately you can not go back in time and change any of it so whats the ****ing point?

OK, how about "We shouldn't have sold a striker in January"?

I did watch the game I was there. I have to question what you where watching if you believe half of what you have written there though.

Edited by doddisalegend

No we didn't, they were crap. They only scored because we were hopeless defending a corner, allowing them an unchallenged knock down and tap in, followed by Stephens calmly passing them the ball in acres of space in our own half.
Exactly large parts of the game they didn't have a player in our half of the pitch and our CBs where camped out around the half way line.

I've changed my mind about 20 times on what I'd like to see from the line-up tonight. I THINK this is what I want.

Gunn

Valery - Yoshida - Bednarek - Bertrand

Romeu - Hojbjerg

Ward-Prowse - Armstrong

Austin - Redmond

Not sure he'll drop Vestergaard though so I'd be fine with him in over Yoshida. Biggest problem with that is the glaring lack of pace other than Redmond.

My preference to. There is the issue of Mitrovic bullying our CBs, but we surely can't go 3 at the back in a home game like this one.

I keep changing my mind about the line up also. We need pace, and for the one striker we have that can historically score goals, to be given chances.

4-2-3-1

McCarthy

Valery

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Sims

Armstrong

Redmond

Austin

Subs: Gunn, Yoshida, Stephens, Targett, JWP, Johnson, Gallagher/Long.

Then ****ing go for it. Funnily enough I'm one of the people that rates JWP, but despite his goals lately, he's the one I'd cut for a more attacking player.

I would still go back to the high line because the current system is not working in any case. We need to do something to protect our fragile defence and the current system is not doing that.

This is a 50-50 game...not by any means a walk over or done deal. In fact I would go as far to say we'll end up with a draw or loss. Either would signal our relegation - a win would be great but would not signal our safety.

Interestingly the Fulham fans on the 15.35 out of Waterloo think exactly the same thing. And they are right. It's a massive 6 pointer. However they have Mitrovic and we don't have anybody...

I would still go back to the high line because the current system is not working in any case. We need to do something to protect our fragile defence and the current system is not doing that.
My point was I don't think it was a deliberate change away from the press just that the press works better against some teams than it does others. Cardiff and Burnley being two teams it's not great against.