Arsenal 2 Saints 0 post match

Chewy

For those who didn't see it, we lost as expected.

For those who did ... Ffs what a shambolic start. As many points as expected, but confidence taking a battering at a crucial point of the season. Will wait until Wednesday before deciding if I think we're looking doomed, but we are in proper trouble.

only watched the the first 18 mins and stephens was yet again a joke.

What Ralph see's in him, no one will ever know

I read that Obafemi came on and got injured. Can't really complain about lack of options up top, streamlined squad and all that

All in, hard game out of the way and didnt get hammered...on to wednesday!!!

Well, at least our goal difference hasn't been annihilated.

And that's the end of the positives.

If we don't win on Wednesday, that'll be it for us. The lack of quality in our hugely expensively assembled squad is beyond belief.

Let's not pretend that we were going to Arsenal with any great expectations, but there's a feeling that our long malaise has finally caught up with us and there's no turning this mess around.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The poor recruitment has finally caught up with us. We wasted a lot of money on dross and the new owner isn't prepared to put any in to improve the team.

Ralph had a bit of shocker again today though. Stephens are Targett are absolute garbage and probably aren't even good enough for the championship. 4 at the back should be the way forward now.

only watched the the first 18 mins and stephens was yet again a joke.

What Ralph see's in him, no one will ever know

I read that Obafemi came on and got injured. Can't really complain about lack of options up top, streamlined squad and all that

All in, hard game out of the way and didnt get hammered...on to wednesday!!!

Why did you switch off after 18 minutes but then read about the game. Couldnt you have stayed watching it ??

We do not have enough. No Obafemi now. Ings will probably last 90 minutes for the rest of the season. Lemina - anyone know what the prognosis is? Not banking on him coming back and match fit enough to make a difference. If Redmond gets injured we're done whatever. No spend January transfer window will prove our most costly. How ignorant / arrogant / naive are our board?

Anything but three points against Fulham and we're done I reckon.

not at home and checking in via tapatalk. Probably a bit like Mickey and others

Oh I see. I thought that when you announced on the second page of the match thread that you were switching off you were having a " big girl's blouse / toys out of the pram" moment. I didn't realise that your earlier contributions had been made in difficult circumstances. Apologies.

As your contributions coincided with the period of the game when we conceded, perhaps in future you could switch off before the match starts. That way you may not have to make your negative comments and we may not concede. :lol:

Didn't expect anything, didn't get anything. Nothing lost, nothing gained. A jolly to Tenerife, however it was dressed up, was never going to paper over the cracks. A win over Fulham is a must, both for the 3 points and our own confidence. Now need to lurch through the rest of the season & hope Cardiff or Brighton collapse.

With a fragile, but talented, lead striker, we desperately needed some new blood up front. Part of me wonders if the no striker selection today was Ralph making a point to the recruitment team.

This loss doesn't change a lot. We expected to lose and personally I expected Cardiff to get something.

If at the end of the Spurs game we are within 3 points of Cardiff I would take that now.

I agree with this. Our goal difference didn't get battered. If we can still be in touch with the likes of Cardiff after man United and Spurs I will be content.

Oh I see. I thought that when you announced on the second page of the match thread that you were switching off you were having a " big girl's blouse / toys out of the pram" moment. I didn't realise that your earlier contributions had been made in difficult circumstances. Apologies.

As your contributions coincided with the period of the game when we conceded, perhaps in future you could switch off before the match starts. That way you may not have to make your negative comments and we may not concede. :lol:

**** Warning Misdirected Anger Alert ****

tenor.gif

I was busy so didn't watch. Fully expected a loss and 2-0 doesn't seem that awful. Any positives for Wednesday?

Stephens made another two errors which hopefully means he'll be sat in the stands on Wednesday. Along with the rest of the season.

We are in this position due to arrogance and complacency.

But, the slide as been happening over a number of years. We have been sleepwalking to relegation, a phrase I coined some years ago.

We can still stay up, but as most people say we are in one hell of a fight.

Must get three points against Fulham.

We have a poor defence which we over-compensate for by playing the extra man, which doesn't really help much as they always make half a dozen mistakes in a match which even the poorest sides will capitalise on eventually, see Cardiff. So a clean sheet is almost impossible. We have an OK midfield albeit one dimensional, defensively orientated and slow, so when we go a goal down due to one of our defensive mistakes, it is very difficult for us to step up and change a game. We have a poor attack , given the current injuries so we compensate by playing an extra midfield player, who is neither quick or skilful enough to trouble even the poorest of Premier League defences. Unlike even the poorest of teams we do not have anyone who is dominant in the air , especially at the back so corners are a problem defensively, especially against the poorer side who generally have big bruiser centre backs who can get on to the end of things and either score or cause havoc. At the other end our corners are ineffective even with Ward Prowse decent deliveries as none of our centre backs want it enough (or are good enough ) to get on the end of them....apart from Yoshi, who is currently deemed as the worst of our 4 centre backs. We are playing 2 young full backs as wing backs and they are doing OK but rarely look like they are going to cause an attacking threat. Other teams play wingers as wing backs but we dont have any. We also lack pace throughout the side so quick counter attacks are off the menu. oh and we have nothing in reserve, in times of need we bring on Ely ....enough said there. Am i being overly negative?

I was busy so didn't watch. Fully expected a loss and 2-0 doesn't seem that awful. Any positives for Wednesday?

The #1 positive is that we were so poor it will create a massive sense of urgency on the Fulham match, which is a must win. The players should be embarrassed and ready to go hard at home, and Ralph should finally start giving up on his preferred style, and start finding ways to win with the squad he has.

The #1 positive is that we were so poor it will create a massive sense of urgency on the Fulham match, which is a must win. The players should be embarrassed and ready to go hard at home, and Ralph should finally start giving up on his preferred style, and start finding ways to win with the squad he has.
Let's hope so. I want to see attacking play from the outset. We may as well go for it imo because if we lose then we are down I reckon.

Valery had a good game. The improvement week-on-week is pretty visible.

Agreed. About the only positive I can think of. Atmosphere at the Emirates as flat as a pancake. We could have played another 90 and still not scored.

4-2-2-2 against Fulham please.

Goalie

Valery-Jan-Jannick-Bertie

Oriel-PEH

JWP-Armstrong

Reds-Charlie

Ings and Lemina in for Charlie and JWP if either of them are ever fit.

I'd like to know WTF is going on in the player health/fitness department.

We're fragile mentally (better under Ralph) but we seem unable to keep key players fit, and the injuries last for ages.

And now Obafemi has done his hammy again.

One who isn't fragile and can be counted on to be a mental presence and a physical presence is Yoshida, who - inexplicably - wasn't picked. Again.

We do not have enough. No Obafemi now. Ings will probably last 90 minutes for the rest of the season. Lemina - anyone know what the prognosis is? Not banking on him coming back and match fit enough to make a difference. If Redmond gets injured we're done whatever. No spend January transfer window will prove our most costly. How ignorant / arrogant / naive / broke are our board?

Anything but three points against Fulham and we're done I reckon.

added the obvious missing word

2-0 doesn’t dent the goal difference too much, better result than I feared looking at our feeble line up.

Fulham is an absolute must win now, but it is for them too, should be an interesting game!

Playing with no striker from the start shows how feeble our squad now is. Where the goals are supposed to come from with Ings and now obefemi out I have no idea. Releasing Gabbi seems an even stranger decision.

Wednesday our choices are Long or Gallagher - that’s a league 1 strike force.....

As others have said, win on Wednesday and this predictable result (and performance) will be forgotten.

Lose or draw? Jesus the meltdown will be Chernobyl like....

We are struggling, we are playing poorly, we have injury woes, but for some unfathomable reason, I think we will just about scrape through this season and survive. Just.

The negatives, STEPHENS, not getting the ball forward quickly, JWP poor delivery, poor shooting and nowhere near quick enough or strong enough, Elyanoussi, the manager is wrong on this one and the fans are right, offers nothing, Sims????.

Positives, Gunn made some last ditch saves, Bednarek and Vestergaard better than a three, The pressing was so much better. Valery much better attacking down the line and defensively, Targett was ok, is Bertrand not match fit yet? Hojbjerg and Romeu strong but Romeu needs to win it and give it quickly.

Obefemi lasted ten minutes before he pulled up. IMO JWP should have gone at half time not Armstrong who is faster and a better player. Redmond was ok but found it difficult to get free. Either give Austin early balls into the box or don't play him. Elyanoussi gives less than nothing. £15m ? did nobody watch him, he is as slow as Targett and JWP. I remembered Long's cross to Austin in the last game, that's where we should play him and or Sims if Austin plays.

2-0 doesn’t dent the goal difference too much, better result than I feared looking at our feeble line up.

Fulham is an absolute must win now, but it is for them too, should be an interesting game!

Playing with no striker from the start shows how feeble our squad now is. Where the goals are supposed to come from with Ings and now obefemi out I have no idea. Releasing Gabbi seems an even stranger decision.

Wednesday our choices are Long or Gallagher - that’s a league 1 strike force.....

As others have said, win on Wednesday and this predictable result (and performance) will be forgotten.

Lose or draw? Jesus the meltdown will be Chernobyl like....

We are struggling, we are playing poorly, we have injury woes, but for some unfathomable reason, I think we will just about scrape through this season and survive. Just.

No Austin?

How are we ever going to win games when we have almost the least goal threat in the league (almost as I guess Huddersfield offer even less)?

Can anyone tell me what Stephens was doing starting this game when we have Yoshida back and available now? I also think Bertrand should be starting rather than Targett.

Whether it would have made a difference to the result today who knows but I don't feel we are helping ourselves by excluding players who are clearly better than some of those selected as starters, especially against top quality opposition.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Waited until I had seen the highlights before commenting, but clearly neither goal was the fault of Stephens today. Usual blaming the current fall guy without actually watching the action. Typical of this place these days. Not saying he didn't make other mistakes today, but those weren't.

We have a poor defence which we over-compensate for by playing the extra man, which doesn't really help much as they always make half a dozen mistakes in a match which even the poorest sides will capitalise on eventually, see Cardiff. So a clean sheet is almost impossible. We have an OK midfield albeit one dimensional, defensively orientated and slow, so when we go a goal down due to one of our defensive mistakes, it is very difficult for us to step up and change a game. We have a poor attack , given the current injuries so we compensate by playing an extra midfield player, who is neither quick or skilful enough to trouble even the poorest of Premier League defences. Unlike even the poorest of teams we do not have anyone who is dominant in the air , especially at the back so corners are a problem defensively, especially against the poorer side who generally have big bruiser centre backs who can get on to the end of things and either score or cause havoc. At the other end our corners are ineffective even with Ward Prowse decent deliveries as none of our centre backs want it enough (or are good enough ) to get on the end of them....apart from Yoshi, who is currently deemed as the worst of our 4 centre backs. We are playing 2 young full backs as wing backs and they are doing OK but rarely look like they are going to cause an attacking threat. Other teams play wingers as wing backs but we dont have any. We also lack pace throughout the side so quick counter attacks are off the menu. oh and we have nothing in reserve, in times of need we bring on Ely ....enough said there. Am i being overly negative?

This is a very good summary.