Attendance

benjii

Itchen North looked quite empty at kick off but filled up with stragglers in the first 10 minutes. Thought SMS looked pretty full especially as Fulham didn't seem to bring many.

The traffic coming in from the M3 and around the Avenue was very heavy. I am not surprised many were late.

Fulham only bringing about 87 didn't help.

Some of the empty seats in the Family stand were probably due to the extra checks on adults trying to get in with kids season tickets. I saw one bloke get pulled up for it outside and there were loads more stewards inside looking to see which colour lights flashed on the turnstiles when people walked through.

Atmosphere when the hardcore are there like last night is often better than a full house as those present more patient and get behind the team

as for Saints taking note they did their best by offering tickets to members and friends of season ticket holders for £20

Noticeable that Arsenal had loads of empty seats in their game last night but attendance was given as a few hundred less than capacity.

Similarly Man City seem to have quite a few empty seats at a time when they are playing fantastic football

They base it on tickets sold, not the number through the turnstile. So if you have a ST but don't turn up, that still counts.

Atmosphere when the hardcore are there like last night is often better than a full house as those present more patient and get behind the team

as for Saints taking note they did their best by offering tickets to members and friends of season ticket holders for £20

The second part of this is ludicrous. I've been a season ticket holder for years, and without a doubt, the first ones to turn on the team are always other season ticket holders.

Evening games can pose many other issues, kids on a school night , so maybe Dad or Mum don't go either , many work away from home, I traveled back from Cambridge last night for the game, but that meant Dad who lives in B'mth didn't attend as he had no transport, so not always representative of the state of the teams form

I've got a season ticket but I didn't use it. I watched the game at home while watching a great cricket match 808 runs, 16 wickets, God knows how many sixes. They know how many didn't use their tickets as the computer will tell them how many were swiped at the turnstiles.

Not enough heads have rolled, a few scapegoats but one of the biggest culprits is hanging on.

We should expand the ground as soon as possible? Because if we build it they'll come?

Funny how the stadium expansion threads have stopped. Despite the fact that in our league days we were absolutely assured that as soon as we got ourselves back to the premier league we would easily sell out every week so we should expand, expand, expand because even if we didn’t sell out we could just give more tickets to away fans anyone who said it wasn’t nessasary was shouted down as having a “dell sized mentality” and all the posts about how other clubs were expanding and we’d be left behind. It’s almost like they lived in a word dominated by spreadsheets and computer games not reality.

Funny how the stadium expansion threads have stopped. Despite the fact that in our league days we were absolutely assured that as soon as we got ourselves back to the premier league we would easily sell out every week so we should expand, expand, expand because even if we didn’t sell out we could just give more tickets to away fans anyone who said it wasn’t nessasary was shouted down as having a “dell sized mentality” and all the posts about how other clubs were expanding and we’d be left behind. It’s almost like they lived in a word dominated by spreadsheets and computer games not reality.
I think the main problem is Bournemouth getting promoted meant that all those people from Exeter and Truro and Weston-Super-Mare and Axminster who were definitely going to all support Premier League Saints have all decided to support Premier League Cherries instead. It's completely wrecked the excellent business plan this forum's finest minds had come up with.

I think the main problem is Bournemouth getting promoted meant that all those people from Exeter and Truro and Weston-Super-Mare and Axminster who were definitely going to all support Premier League Saints have all decided to support Premier League Cherries instead. It's completely wrecked the excellent business plan this forum's finest minds had come up with.

That's the cherries where you cant get a season ticket? much like the days of the Dell, the bigger problem is or rather was the high turnover of players, fans loyalty is partly built on team form but also a sense of identity with the team , and we have had that since Koeman's team

Itchen was half empty. The official figure never acknowledges that many ST's stayed away

Not in my part of the Itchen, and there's often a few absent around me. Kingsland opposite looked pretty full too; the gaps were in the away end and Family centre, which is as you'd expect on a week day night.

True but even before Bournemouth came up the coach loads of fans we were assured would be coming from Cirencester, Newbridge, Truro and burgess Hill for their fix of premier league football never seemed to materialise. I guess we were just unlucky in that our promotion coincided with an upturn in fortunes for Brighton, Swansea, Reading Bournemouth, Wolves and Cardiff as well which mean this massive catchment area we could tap into which went from Liverpool down to Birmingham, across to anything south of London and Essex was slightly diluted. Shame as they would literally Be right now having their noses pressed up against the windows of st Mary’s tickets office anxiously camping out hoping to get their mits the waiting list for the small release of general sale tickets for our massive home game against wolves in a months time.

You can always spot the people who watch it on tele.

The empty seats are usually directly behind the goals. So, when, say, JWP scores and the cameras zoom in, you see maybe 60% of seats empty (out of maybe 500)

Both flanks were pretty full.

Haven't seen the attendance number, I'd guess 29K-30K?

Lots of empty seats in the Itchen, as well as both ends.

The ticket revenue is largely irrelevant but the club jave made noises about wanting to grow the brand globally. They've got **** all chance until they appreciate that the most important first step in that is delivering a team that fans want to watch.

Not sure the attendance sounds that bad to be fair.

A midweek game against Fulham is never going to set the world alight.

Also, although we are in a relegation battle again this season, it doesn't really feel like we are at that sort of stage where we need a proper 90s Great Escape mentality. We are plodding along with reasonable form, and probably will end up 15th or 16th this season, barring a complete collapse.

May sound like I'm being complacent, but it's more of a reflection of it being an odd kind of season - it feels like we are making progress under RH without really pulling ourselves away from the drop zone.

Not sure the attendance sounds that bad to be fair.

A midweek game against Fulham is never going to set the world alight.

Also, although we are in a relegation battle again this season, it doesn't really feel like we are at that sort of stage where we need a proper 90s Great Escape mentality. We are plodding along with reasonable form, and probably will end up 15th or 16th this season, barring a complete collapse.

May sound like I'm being complacent, but it's more of a reflection of it being an odd kind of season - it feels like we are making progress under RH without really pulling ourselves away from the drop zone.

We did get beaten by Cardiff recently. I am certainly panicking!