Saints 2 Fulham 0 - Post Match Relief

St Chalet

All I can say is...

... from getting it so wrong last week he got this selection so right.

The defensive five, or three, were superb. Valery is growing in stature and is looking almost replicating Bertrand's industriousness down his side. The three centre halves were superb; and Bertrand's dynamism and workrate on the left was superb.

You would be concerned if we were to lose Redmond, who is such a creative spark though.

That said, our new aggressive approach from Hojberg and JWP, who are no longer just shuttlers, is a telling transformation of what they used to be. As a supporting cast to a lone striker in a seemingly defensively set up team, seeing them excel in advanced positions is evident then they have so much more to their game than we've previously seen. Additionally, they both are now switching play quickly and accurately - there does seem to be a confidence in their own abilities and trust in their judgements which we'd seldom seen previously.

And Bednarek... jesus, he just gets in the way of everything. And to think we spent 16m on Hoedt and left him out for 18 months...

They looked ********ed and dripping in sweat at the end of the game, that's the minimum we want to see.

Well done Saints.

All I can say is...

... from getting it so wrong last week he got this selection so right.

The defensive five, or three, were superb. Valery is growing in stature and is looking almost replicating Bertrand's industriousness down his side. The three centre halves were superb; and Bertrand's dynamism and workrate on the left was superb.

You would be concerned if we were to lose Redmond, who is such a creative spark though.

That said, our new aggressive approach from Hojberg and JWP, who are no longer just shuttlers, is a telling transformation of what they used to be. As a supporting cast to a lone striker in a seemingly defensively set up team, seeing them excel in advanced positions is evident then they have so much more to their game than we've previously seen. Additionally, they both are now switching play quickly and accurately - there does seem to be a confidence in their own abilities and trust in their judgements which we'd seldom seen previously.

And Bednarek... jesus, he just gets in the way of everything. And to think we spent 16m on Hoedt and left him out for 18 months...

They looked ********ed and dripping in sweat at the end of the game, that's the minimum we want to see.

Well done Saints.

PS: someone beat me to the post match thread... so if mine could be shunted or closed... ta!

Not a game of great quality. Our limitations were laid bare but jesus, fulham are terrible.

Mental to think Ranieri not long ago won the premier league with Leicester. The amount of space we had down our left for the first hour+ was bizarre

they are a terrible side with some obviously good players.

Anyway, we got the win and that is all that matters.

Out of the bottom 3, level on points with Brighton with their game in hand against Chelsea.

JwP my MoM

fcking chuffed with that.

thought we played excellently for most of the game, maybe tailed off a tad but hey.

Yoshida and Bertrand showed Targett/Stephens what real defending/attacking is like. Hopefully we won't see either of those two on the pitch unless injuries hit.

We've missed that left flank Redders/Bertrand combo. JWP, PEH and Romeu were solid.

Hopefully when Ings comes back we'll be able to stay up.

arsenal scored 5 today, makes me feel better about the result.

Fulham were poor defensively but you can only beat what's in front of you and we managed it. The fact they were poor doesn't take anything from the result.

Onwards...

Crucial win - game over without it. Decent few days with Cardiff losing both home games, shipping eight and then this win.

JWP excellent, Redmond good, some tidy performances elsewhere without going OTT. Fulham just too weak at the back and Rico looked less than commanding.

The gate was a far bigger warning to Gao, KL and Kreuger than any banner - go, we want you gone, asap.

Whilst Fulham were poor, it was a composed performance from us.

Bednarek my MotM - didn't put a foot wrong IMO. Good to see Yoshida slotting seemlessly back into the defence too. Midfield very solid.

Up front? Shame that Redmond seems to have gone off the boil a bit after his renaissance under Hassenhuttl in December/January. Looks like we're going to have to rely on goals from midfield to keep ourselves afloat.

Got a feeling we might sneak a draw up at Old Trafford.

Whilst Fulham were poor, it was a composed performance from us.

Bednarek my MotM - didn't put a foot wrong IMO. Good to see Yoshida slotting seemlessly back into the defence too. Midfield very solid.

Up front? Shame that Redmond seems to have gone off the boil after his renaissance under Hassenhuttl in December/January. Looks like we're going to have to rely on goals from midfield to keep ourselves afloat.

Got a feeling we might sneak a draw up at Old Trafford.

:lol:

Fulham didn’t really turn up but we were professional enough for the win. Hopefully will help confidence.

Thought we should have pushed on and got more in the 2nd half.

Yoshi looked very solid on his return. Good to see Bertrand getting back up to speed.

Was incredibly disappointed to see long once again coming on. Utter waste of space.

Missed the game as at work and didn't need the distraction. Will watch later, sounds like Fulham were terrible and we improved which suits me.

Delighted with the result, thought it would be another draw or narrow defeat. Massive win and at last showing a bit of fight again which has clearly been missing in recent weeks.

Great result under huge pressure. JWP clear MOTM...worked his socks off. Yoshida and Bertrand proved what we all know - that they are upgrades on Stephens and Targett. Valery and Bednarek solid...as were Gunn and Vestergard. Credit where credit is due...RH got this selection and substitution right. Austin worked hard and was knackered. With a real goalscorer we'd have something to make other teams think. Good confidence-building win. Will give us something to build on for Man U...not expecting anything out of that but Tottenham are faltering...

Even though Fulham were poor and some luck went our way, it was a deserved win. For those arguing for Targett over Bertrand, tonight illustrated why a fit Bertrand must always be the choice - a true attacking full back/wing back who injected width, pace and telling crosses most of the night; special mention to Valery who improves each match. Bednarek very impressive in defence and Yoshida calm and composed. Three midfielders all had good games - PEH full of energy and bite; Romeu swept and snuffed out so much and that left foot half volley was crucial. Ward-Prowse worked hard all night and his effort to get to the spilled save for the second goal was testament to his work rate - he is still massively over hyped but he earned his pay tonight. Redmond's touch and decision making poor at times, but he made great runs into space and made defenders jittery. A great night of relief, and the hope of survival lives on.

Wasnt vintage but we needed that.

5 tough fixtures coming up now..... Can quite easily see us getting no points from those next 5.

we lack speed, strengh and creativity

HUGE win. And indeed, a tough 5 game stretch. If we are somehow not in the relegation zone after the next 5 games, i will be feeling pretty good about the last 5 and staying up.

i think 37 points will keep us up. Need to find 3 wins and a draw in the next 10 matches.

Potential wins : Huddersfield (H), Brighton (A), Bournemouth (H)