Saints 2 Fulham 0 - Post Match Relief

St Chalet

Nervy viewing for the last 15 minutes, but exactly what's needed - 3 points, home win and a clean sheet.

Thought everybody put in a shift tonight and RH got it right.

Loving Bednarak's blocks and performance but JWP was man of the match.

Enjoying watching Valery, Bednarak and Vestergaard get better week after week :)

As happy as Redmond to see that 2nd one go in:

Onwards and upwards!

Even though Fulham were poor and some luck went our way, it was a deserved win. For those arguing for Targett over Bertrand, tonight illustrated why a fit Bertrand must always be the choice - a true attacking full back/wing back who injected width, pace and telling crosses most of the night; special mention to Valery who improves each match. Bednarek very impressive in defence and Yoshida calm and composed. Three midfielders all had good games - PEH full of energy and bite; Romeu swept and snuffed out so much and that left foot half volley was crucial. Ward-Prowse worked hard all night and his effort to get to the spilled save for the second goal was testament to his work rate - he is still massively over hyped but he earned his pay tonight. Redmond's touch and decision making poor at times, but he made great runs into space and made defenders jittery. A great night of relief, and the hope of survival lives on.

You being serious? he gets 45 k a week, he is like the 15th highest paid player at the club.. Even Ely is on nearly double what JWP is on..

You being serious? he gets 45 k a week, he is like the 15th highest paid player at the club.. Even Ely is on nearly double what JWP is on..

Nearly spat my tea out on hearing that about Ely.... what the hell was les thinking.

Decent win tonight and much needed. Difference in class between Bertrand and target.

But really concerned about the rest of the season with an attack so toothless.

Do people actually watch games in any depth?

Valery touched the ball about 4 times in the first half. He is never available, he hides by standing next to usually their left back so he is marked ....

He does one or two decent things in a whole game which stand out because he actually does very little else at all...

Apart from that a good win with a better personnel selection. Yoshi and Bertrand make a big difference.

Would like to see Sims on the bench as might as well bring him in as Long or Elly...

Thought Charlie put in a hell of a shift this evening, Long on the other hand looks totally devoid of confidence or a fkin clue. Doesn’t even seem to run around to any effect now.

Keep Gunn in goal, keep that back five in front of him, I know Yoshida always has a mistake in him but he’s a hell of a lot better than Stephens.

JWP - totally different player to the one that’s been annoying me with his non effectiveness for the past few years. Shows it dan be done, well done son !

Solid and workmanlike Saints - excellent and crucial 3 points.

Fulham are gone - woeful performance from them.

JWP and Redmond I though excellent, defence all very solid. Good to have Bertrand back too.

Valery is a solid defender but offers little going forward. I can't remember him crossing the ball or beating a man? Hopefully he can improve his attacking side.

Great to see another win at home - we are much happier than the Fulham lot - they were most unhappy with Ranieri's substitutions, and their lot in life in general. Goes to prove spending loads doesn't always equal success.

Job done, on paper what you would expect.........but as we all know Saints don’t play on paper.

As soon as Romeu banged it through the crowd for our opener, you could see the glue falling out of Fulham’s joints. MOTM JWP (that brick wall challenge in the first half leaving the Fulham player in bits on the floor summed up he meant business out there tonight) was impressive and yet another goal in the bag.

Maya Yoshida in the middle of defence was a rock, directing the 2 Jans made their job so much easier.

Few more goals would have been nice, but that shows the issues up top, that said we breezed the second half, at full time the players looked like they had put in a shift, but that was probably the fear of Yoshi promising to kick them round the dressing room if anyone dropped a clanger and threw away his clean sheet bonus.

Solid and workmanlike Saints - excellent and crucial 3 points.

Fulham are gone - woeful performance from them.

JWP and Redmond I though excellent, defence all very solid. Good to have Bertrand back too.

Valery is a solid defender but offers little going forward. I can't remember him crossing the ball or beating a man? Hopefully he can improve his attacking side.

Great to see another win at home - we are much happier than the Fulham lot - they were most unhappy with Ranieri's substitutions, and their lot in life in general. Goes to prove spending loads doesn't always equal success.

Imo Valery is getting better and more confident going forward as each game passes !?

Valery touched the ball about 4 times in the first half. He is never available, he hides by standing next to usually their left back so he is marked ....

He does one or two decent things in a whole game which stand out because he actually does very little else at all...

Apart from that a good win with a better personnel selection. Yoshi and Bertrand make a big difference.

Would like to see Sims on the bench as might as well bring him in as Long or Elly...

Sims was in the crowd this evening, he walked up the steps in Itchen North about 5 minutes into the game. Agree that he has to be a better option than Elyounoussi.

Agree about Valery. Thought he was good defensively but going forward he had absolutely no end product. Thought he was MOM against Cardiff, but today he didn’t do much of note. Other things are coming with confidence but crossing still very much in the ‘needs work’ category.

that said we breezed the second half, at full time the players looked like they had put in a shift.

To be honest most of our team looked finished by 70-75 minutes. That was a big concern for me, and shows why we concede so many late goals. Players didn’t have the energy to keep hold of the ball, Redmond in particular should have been subbed for Armstrong near the end. Obviously good to see the team putting in the effort, and no doubt we did a lot of pressing, but in tighter games against better opposition that lack of fitness will (and has) cost us.

If Babel’s effort creeps under the bar then we probably wouldn’t have withstood a late fightback from a team with their tails up (appreciate that is conjecture on my part, but I found it alarming).

We'll get one more season from Valery and he'll be off to a bigger club in summer 2020 I don't know what you watch.

Altough Austin did not score, his presence made a lot of difference upfront at least with some goal threats. Lack of creativity or Tadic passing is worrying me. Redmond is either unwilling to pass or passing it wrongly or at a wrong time. Valery, JWP, Betrand and PEH are unable to give a good pass and create chance. Austin did create a chance for Redmond which led to the 2nd goal. Hope Lemina will come back soon as he is the only one who has the creativity.

To be honest most of our team looked finished by 70-75 minutes. That was a big concern for me, and shows why we concede so many late goals. Players didn’t have the energy to keep hold of the ball, Redmond in particular should have been subbed for Armstrong near the end. Obviously good to see the team putting in the effort, and no doubt we did a lot of pressing, but in tighter games against better opposition that lack of fitness will (and has) cost us.

If Babel’s effort creeps under the bar then we probably wouldn’t have withstood a late fightback from a team with their tails up (appreciate that is conjecture on my part, but I found it alarming).

Finding it hard to hide your disappointment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hope we were resting Armstrong because he is decent and needs a run in the side. Great result - though share concerns about toothless forward line. Maybe Austin can step up and Ings can somehow be fit for a while. Still reckon its a straight fight between us and the chronically chronic Cardiff City. Lots of work needed over the summer if we stay up.

Sims was in the crowd this evening, he walked up the steps in Itchen North about 5 minutes into the game. Agree that he has to be a better option than Elyounoussi.

Agree about Valery. Thought he was good defensively but going forward he had absolutely no end product. Thought he was MOM against Cardiff, but today he didn’t do much of note. Other things are coming with confidence but crossing still very much in the ‘needs work’ category.

I despair, although does not surprise me, that the bloke posts such nonsense about Valery. And yet still finds someone who agrees with him.

He still offers nothing in attack, which for a wingback, is vital

Decent defensively, nothing going forward

Was decent offensively against Arsenal; less so yesterday. He also doesn’t benefit (unlike Bertrand) from having a Redmond stretching teams in front of him.

Edited by shurlock

Decent performance coupled with a bit of luck ( I would have bet my house on Mitrović scoring that chance early in the second half can't believe he didn't even get it on target) but bloody hell Fulham where bad. Worst team I've seen come to SMS in a long time.

The team out last night is pretty much the team we should put out for the rest of the season. Only thing I'd change is Ings for Austin if he is fit. You could possibly argue for Armstrong over JWP to make us better on the counter and the goal keepers are pretty much interchangeable IMO as there isn't much between them.

Stand out players where JWP, Bertrand ( after a slow start he grew into the game) and Yoshida, for me, but everyone played pretty well.

The atmosphere was good last night. I thought the ref was poor though.

Expecting to come back down with a bump at the weekend but will enjoy the win today.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Good result and most needed but it was against Fulham, a worse side than us. We need to grab some points from teams above, bleeding obvious I know but facing Man U next, gulp!!.
Don't forget man U are having an injury crisis meaning they have to use their awful back up players like Lukaku and Sanchez... [emoji52]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Give Valery a break. He’s clearly not the finished article but his progress this season has been one of the highlights of the season for me. I’m sure his game will continue to develop, we’ve seen he can defend and attack just not in the same game, it will come.

We did ok against a terrible Fulham side. Good to see Yoshida in defence again. If only we had a creditable front three we might actually be thinking mid-table rather than hoping Cardiff don’t pickup points in the next three games. Brighton game will be another must-win make no mistake.

We did ok against a terrible Fulham side. Good to see Yoshida in defence again. If only we had a creditable front three we might actually be thinking mid-table rather than hoping Cardiff don’t pickup points in the next three games. Brighton game will be another must-win make no mistake.

So strange to see Yoshida not in team after his Asia Cup return when his last appearance was when he was brilliant against Chelsea.

He still offers nothing in attack, which for a wingback, is vital

Decent defensively, nothing going forward

Not much wrong with the lad, improving every game, last night he was moving to receive the ball up the line and it either went across the other side of the pitch, or behind him requiring him check back and play back or sideways. Yes he could have been more dynamic but you got the feeling they had been given a rocket about the gift wrapped giving the ball away leading to a goal of late and he was thinking more about what to do next if he loses the ball this far up the pitch, rather than sticking it on Charlie Austin’s head in the box.

Finding it hard to hide your disappointment.

Not at all, why would you say that? Could you not see that our players were getting sloppy and kept losing the ball in the last 15 minutes? That despite being against a team who weren’t exactly lifting their game in that time.

My comment wasn’t on the overall performance, which I thought was decent enough, just on our lack of fitness. Fulham also had a couple of clear cut chances - probably better than any we had. I respect that you are usually positive even in the face of a defeat and appreciate reading your post match comments while everyone is busy consigning us to relegation, so I’d have thought you might also appreciate when people point out specific concerns following an otherwise encouraging performance/result, rather than dismissing them as trolls or imbeciles.

Not at all, why would you say that? Could you not see that our players were getting sloppy and kept losing the ball in the last 15 minutes? That despite being against a team who weren’t exactly lifting their game in that time.

My comment wasn’t on the overall performance, which I thought was decent enough, just on our lack of fitness. Fulham also had a couple of clear cut chances - probably better than any we had. I respect that you are usually positive even in the face of a defeat and appreciate reading your post match comments while everyone is busy consigning us to relegation, so I’d have thought you might also appreciate when people point out specific concerns following an otherwise encouraging performance/result, rather than dismissing them as trolls or imbeciles.

I'll accept your point of view. It was a rare match that I couldn't attend so no, I didn't see the last 15 mins, and your comments seemed at odds with all the reports that said we saw it out comfortably.

If I misinterpreted, no offence meant. I'm just glad we didn't mess this one up.

Having seen highlights, there was a touch of good fortune with both our goals, but about time we got some. Austin's disallowed goal should gave stood, though.

Give Valery a break. He’s clearly not the finished article but his progress this season has been one of the highlights of the season for me. I’m sure his game will continue to develop, we’ve seen he can defend and attack just not in the same game, it will come.

It’s not about giving him a break. He did ok today, certainly solid defensively. But as a wing back you are an important attacking outlet, and he didn’t really do anything of note going forward. He made himself available, and was trying to do the right things, but his crossing needs work and not much else came off for him.

You’re right in what you say - and against Cardiff he did defend and attack well in the same game - but some people are claiming he was one of our best 3 players yesterday. Seems like if you disagree then people label you clueless or a WUM. Surely you can be happy with his development without having to hail every performance?

I'll accept your point of view. It was a rare match that I couldn't attend so no, I didn't see the last 15 mins, and your comments seemed at odds with all the reports that said we saw it out comfortably.

If I misinterpreted, no offence meant. I'm just glad we didn't mess this one up.

Having seen highlights, there was a touch of good fortune with both our goals, but about time we got some. Austin's disallowed goal should gave stood, though.

Appreciate the reply. By contrast I only get to a handful of games and this was one I made the trip down for, and think you get a better feel for some things when you’re actually there. No doubt the players worked hard throughout, so tiring is to be expected, but the concern was how early it kicked in. That is down to preseason unfortunately, hard to get that back half way through.

Watched MOTD yesterday and they didn’t show the disallowed goal. Found it strange that they didn’t show that, or any of Mitrovic’s chances yet showed Bertrand’s FK which was just a bit ‘meh’...!

Altough Austin did not score, his presence made a lot of difference upfront at least with some goal threats. Lack of creativity or Tadic passing is worrying me. Redmond is either unwilling to pass or passing it wrongly or at a wrong time. Valery, JWP, Betrand and PEH are unable to give a good pass and create chance. Austin did create a chance for Redmond which led to the 2nd goal. Hope Lemina will come back soon as he is the only one who has the creativity.

You’re right that Redmond’s decision making isn’t always the best but in terms of creating chances he’s pretty much our only hope! Not even sure Lemina fits that mould tbh, he’s a bit better on the ball than our current midfield trio but still very much in a similar mould.

No love for Vestergaard? Thought he had a very good game, and made one excellent & crucial header from a corner as Mitrovic was closing in. I was hoping for a back 4 but the 5 worked well and all 3 CBs were great (although still concerning that Fulham had a number of good chances despite not being very good).

I have looked through the posts and that a lot say we were poor , but what nobody seems to have taken into account was that the team were under extreme mental pressure. They have messed up so many times and this was the biggest must win since Swansea last season. You cant expect free flowing football with that on y0ur shoulders.

I notice Mosin mentioned that JWP is on 45k a week and he is the 15th highest paid at the club, how could we be so stupid to pay those contracts. Sir Les and co , are they buffoons of the highest order or were there more sinister reasons?

That is the reason we cant buy players in, why we had to let Gab and Cedric go on loan I suspect. The finances must be under a massive strain.

Interesting to contrast the way that Cardiff played against us and the way that Fulham did. Two relegation zones teams playing a third, they both have very experienced managers, but the way Ranieri set out Fulham tactically played into our hands. Cardiff parked the bus and attempted to hit us on the break or from set pieces, but I couldn't believe the amount of space that Fulham allowed us.

Many might have raised eyebrows at us playing three CBs for a home match, but arguably Vestergaard was needed as muscle and height against Mitrovic, Yoshida provides pace and an aerial threat at set pieces and Bednarek is increasingly the defensive bedrock. But it allowed us five across the midfield, which meant that we were able to deploy Bertrand and Valery out wide, stretching Fulham out to create the space for Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse to flourish and provide the service for Redmond and Austin up top. Some have been critical about Valery's contribution, suggesting that he had not offered much going forward, but at most times during the match, he was in the same acres of space out wide that Bertrand was and either Bertrand offered the more experienced outlet with Redmond ahead of him, or right footed players on the ball favoured passing to the left. Valery acquitted himself well enough, but the Bertrand/Redmond axis was back to old times in effectiveness.

For much of the match, the midfield played with good intensity, pressing the ball well and with the width available, the crossed balls from the left particularly meant that we were able to get behind the Fulham defence often. Redmond was closed down effectively, but Austin put himself about well with good movement and positioning and caused problems with a few shots blocked and even a goal which was disallowed. With injuries to Ings and Obefemi, Austin has the chance to step up and he is beginning to look leaner and fitter than of late under the Hassenhuttl regime. If he puts in the same amount of effort as he did last night, he tires towards the end, and the option of fresh legs from Long was a good one for his pace and nuisance value, if not for his scoring prowess.

Because of our shortage of striking options because we sold Gabbiadini and then suffered the inevitable injuries to Ings and Obafemi, we are down to Redmond, Austin, Long and Gallagher/Sims, the latter two seemingly not adjudged to be realistic options. It is therefore just as well that we possess a goal threat from our midfield and potentially our defence. Ward-Prowse in particular is slotting them away, and Hojbjerg, Armstrong and Romeu have all shown the ability to shoot from outside the box, with Yoshida good in the air at set pieces.

Just a thought that occurred to me during the match. Because Redmond was generally well marshalled by Fulham's defence, I wondered whether it would have been a really effective tactic to have him on the halfway line when we are defending corners. He adds little to us defensively, but would be a scary prospect for any defence with his pace if he received the ball early out of defence. Surely the three CBs offer us that choice?

We have some difficult fixtures coming up, but a competent performance last night, even against poor opposition, will have given us a confidence boost. It is a shame that we aren't playing Mourinho's Manchester United, but the team selected last night with maybe Armstrong playing, (instead of which player?) and the general tactics employed will be the most effective against the top teams if we play as we did against Arsenal and Everton, pressing high and closing down their flair players.

Interesting to contrast the way that Cardiff played against us and the way that Fulham did. Two relegation zones teams playing a third, they both have very experienced managers, but the way Ranieri set out Fulham tactically played into our hands. Cardiff parked the bus and attempted to hit us on the break or from set pieces, but I couldn't believe the amount of space that Fulham allowed us.

Many might have raised eyebrows at us playing three CBs for a home match, but arguably Vestergaard was needed as muscle and height against Mitrovic, Yoshida provides pace and an aerial threat at set pieces and Bednarek is increasingly the defensive bedrock. But it allowed us five across the midfield, which meant that we were able to deploy Bertrand and Valery out wide, stretching Fulham out to create the space for Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse to flourish and provide the service for Redmond and Austin up top. Some have been critical about Valery's contribution, suggesting that he had not offered much going forward, but at most times during the match, he was in the same acres of space out wide that Bertrand was and either Bertrand offered the more experienced outlet with Redmond ahead of him, or right footed players on the ball favoured passing to the left. Valery acquitted himself well enough, but the Bertrand/Redmond axis was back to old times in effectiveness.

For much of the match, the midfield played with good intensity, pressing the ball well and with the width available, the crossed balls from the left particularly meant that we were able to get behind the Fulham defence often. Redmond was closed down effectively, but Austin put himself about well with good movement and positioning and caused problems with a few shots blocked and even a goal which was disallowed. With injuries to Ings and Obefemi, Austin has the chance to step up and he is beginning to look leaner and fitter than of late under the Hassenhuttl regime. If he puts in the same amount of effort as he did last night, he tires towards the end, and the option of fresh legs from Long was a good one for his pace and nuisance value, if not for his scoring prowess.

Because of our shortage of striking options because we sold Gabbiadini and then suffered the inevitable injuries to Ings and Obafemi, we are down to Redmond, Austin, Long and Gallagher/Sims, the latter two seemingly not adjudged to be realistic options. It is therefore just as well that we possess a goal threat from our midfield and potentially our defence. Ward-Prowse in particular is slotting them away, and Hojbjerg, Armstrong and Romeu have all shown the ability to shoot from outside the box, with Yoshida good in the air at set pieces.

Just a thought that occurred to me during the match. Because Redmond was generally well marshalled by Fulham's defence, I wondered whether it would have been a really effective tactic to have him on the halfway line when we are defending corners. He adds little to us defensively, but would be a scary prospect for any defence with his pace if he received the ball early out of defence. Surely the three CBs offer us that choice?

We have some difficult fixtures coming up, but a competent performance last night, even against poor opposition, will have given us a confidence boost. It is a shame that we aren't playing Mourinho's Manchester United, but the team selected last night with maybe Armstrong playing, (instead of which player?) and the general tactics employed will be the most effective against the top teams if we play as we did against Arsenal and Everton, pressing high and closing down their flair players.

Vestergaard was rarely marking Mitrovic. Yoshida picked him up. Not sure which game you were watching Les.

Excellent result decent performance.

Ryan Bertrand proving he’s a different level to Targett. Yoshida did well, battled and stood his ground against Mitrović. Redmond was excellent as was OR and Ward Prowse. I also thought Austin had a good game, battled, tried to hold the ball up and gave us a focal point. He’s clearly nowhere near Mitrović’s level, but he enabled us to play a bit longer and not fanny around so much at the back.

All in all a comfortable win that didn’t really look in doubt from the minute we scored the first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s not about giving him a break. He did ok today, certainly solid defensively. But as a wing back you are an important attacking outlet, and he didn’t really do anything of note going forward. He made himself available, and was trying to do the right things, but his crossing needs work and not much else came off for him.

You’re right in what you say - and against Cardiff he did defend and attack well in the same game - but some people are claiming he was one of our best 3 players yesterday. Seems like if you disagree then people label you clueless or a WUM. Surely you can be happy with his development without having to hail every performance?

He did OK, but seems to lack any real pace/turn of speed which he needs to be effective in that role - why anyone thinks he'll be off to a bigger club in a year is beyond me. My opinion of course.