Results 1 to 45 of 45

Thread: Half time entertainment....

  1. #1

    Default Half time entertainment....

    I know it's not a very important thing, but even by the pizz poor standards that we usually endure, WTF was that tonight? Asinine and the bloke doing the commentary would be better suited doing a 3 year old's birthday party.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    I know it's not a very important thing, but even by the pizz poor standards that we usually endure, WTF was that tonight? Asinine and the bloke doing the commentary would be better suited doing a 3 year old's birthday party.
    Ha, I actually turned to my Dad and said “they should probably just get rid of HT entertainment” during this. I prefer to talk about the game.

  3. Default

    Never understood the point of half time entertainment. It’s very North American. I go to hockey, baseball and Canadian football games and it’s full of distracting entertainment. It’s like people have no attention span.

    When I was a regular at the football when I lived in England and Scotland, half time was a chance to have a ****, get a pie, chat about the first half or listen to around the grounds on radio 5.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Goldfinger's Ranch
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Never saw a problem with the half time relay. Kids got a chance to run on the pitch with a full crowd present and everyone had else could have a laugh when they fell over.

  5. #5

    Default

    We're advertising for another mascot, time to step this up and have a whole extended family of dogs doing some sort of crufts style assault course.

  6. #6

    Default

    Oh for the days of the Police dog demo when a copper didnt get the memo (as it would of been then) and ran onto the pitch chasing the guy dressed up as a thief carrying a bag labelled Swag !

    Get back to the relay race FFS

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,681

    Default

    Penalties at half time are a bit lame wherever you go - bit of “that’ll do”. But then it was all up the spout, blokes setting up the boxes of fire pre match on the centre circle, the message on the screen for warning us of the impending light show. The PA volume turned up to distortion levels. I hasten to add I don’t mind it loud but distortion from those big new speakers - why so loud. Players trundle out, no disco no balls of fire, the pyro men are wondering what to do “if I go and collect it will some idiot press the button to ignite it while it’s in my hands”
    Everyone knows the relay works - there is no effort to watch it while you are chatting, if it rains it’s a bit more fun you can tell many are watching by the reaction when one of the nippers takes a tumble or misses a sitter.
    If you ain’t having the relay either don’t bother, or get the Police dogs, Dagenham Girls Pipers, or the Albion Band in.
    Best regards
    Miserable Old Git

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,674

    Default

    Who remembers the Saintettes

  9. #9

    Default

    The noise level from the public address system seems to have been cranked up another notch or two last night

    I would like to be able to have a conversation about the game, at least at HT, but the noise from the manic announcer and banging music makes this almost impossible.

    Also bearing in mind the age profile of the crowd perhaps some Vera Lynn, Ken Dodd or Mantovani tunes would be appropriate!!!

    Or bring back the Albion Band!!!!!!!!

  10. Default

    The bloke next to me tried to say something and I just had to hold my hand up and tell him to wait until the PA had finished deafening us. I'm way up at the top, so maybe the sound reverberates more up with the roof being closer, but I couldn't hear him shouting at me from a few inches away.

    The fire and light show, the half time bit (I won't call it entertainment, as that would be a misnomer), the volume of the PA were all mickey mouse. (More import of course were the 3 points)

    On balance I would bring back the relay, but with changes. Why can't they make it that it is a group of kids, say, 5-10 years old vs a group from the opposition?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broadwindsor, Dorset
    Posts
    1,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post

    Or bring back the Albion Band!!!!!!!!
    Now you are talking plus the large blanket we used to throw the coins in.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    Now you are talking plus the large blanket we used to throw the coins in.
    No need. Bournemouth are doing ok now.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    4,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    The noise level from the public address system seems to have been cranked up another notch or two last night

    I would like to be able to have a conversation about the game, at least at HT, but the noise from the manic announcer and banging music makes this almost impossible.

    Also bearing in mind the age profile of the crowd perhaps some Vera Lynn, Ken Dodd or Mantovani tunes would be appropriate!!!

    Or bring back the Albion Band!!!!!!!!
    I have filled in countless SFC questionnaires saying exactly this but they take no notice !
    I wasn't there last night (am on holiday) but what you stated has been the case for a while now and really p!sses me off !
    Grrr....

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andover/Isleworth
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Bring back Dennis Rofe

  15. #15

    Default

    Can we have a fit woman presenter as well, like the one at Wolves she was a delight to look at! unlike the two plums that do our pitch side microphone talk?

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Marchwood
    Posts
    295

    Default

    There were clearly some issues yesterday, they were obviously planning to do a light show pre game that didn’t materialise. They tried to go to the media guy on the pitch but couldn’t get through to him. Also they didn’t have the team info on the screens all game.

    Volume was stupidly loud last night too, we have gone from not being able to hear the PA system anywhere to incurring hearing damage. Surprised they aren’t breaching some kind of legal decibel limit.

    Music is absolutely garbage too.

    Everything is secondary to the football and that win was crucial. Our production standards do appear to be getting increasingly tin pot though.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ringwood/ Poole
    Posts
    563

    Default

    thought last night Forster was dressed up as Sammy , as never once saw him dive !

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shandy_Top_89 View Post
    There were clearly some issues yesterday, they were obviously planning to do a light show pre game that didn’t materialise. They tried to go to the media guy on the pitch but couldn’t get through to him. Also they didn’t have the team info on the screens all game.

    Volume was stupidly loud last night too, we have gone from not being able to hear the PA system anywhere to incurring hearing damage. Surprised they aren’t breaching some kind of legal decibel limit.

    Music is absolutely garbage too.

    Everything is secondary to the football and that win was crucial. Our production standards do appear to be getting increasingly tin pot though.
    I agree with all of this. What is it with this ridiculously loud racket that they subject us to? Playing loud noise does not create an atmospher, it smothers it.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    gutter
    Posts
    13,975

    Default

    are Curiosty Killed the Cat still going?

    If not, why not Kasier Chiefs at half time, or Right Said Fred.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,141

    Default

    What was the name of that really fat bloke we had first season at St Mary’s who they got running on the pitch a few times for some sort of “entertainment”? I remember seeing him on the Jeremy Kyle show a few years later crying because he was so fat and his mum saying she didn’t help because she always let him eat what he wanted.

    Then there was the time we had that old bloke from Eastenders come on the pitch, WTF was the point of that?

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    The bloke next to me tried to say something and I just had to hold my hand up and tell him to wait until the PA had finished deafening us. I'm way up at the top, so maybe the sound reverberates more up with the roof being closer, but I couldn't hear him shouting at me from a few inches away.

    The fire and light show, the half time bit (I won't call it entertainment, as that would be a misnomer), the volume of the PA were all mickey mouse. (More import of course were the 3 points)

    On balance I would bring back the relay, but with changes. Why can't they make it that it is a group of kids, say, 5-10 years old vs a group from the opposition?
    Agree. I was trying to talk to the bloke in front of me about the game, but we couldn't hear each other.
    How about we bring back the relay with the kids, but get the police dog to chase after them as well. That would make the kids run faster, get that segment over quicker. Then we can have the brass band playing in the middle while the Saintettes parade around the red asphalt? Something for everyone then. And turn off the music, or play something related to football.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andover/Isleworth
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
    Can we have a fit woman presenter as well, like the one at Wolves she was a delight to look at! unlike the two plums that do our pitch side microphone talk?
    We did, but we’ve binned her off for these 2 clowns.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Go on, have a guess?
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    I miss the Dell days of a guy hanging the other games half time results on a board!

  24. Default

    Was the shambles of the light show, why the teams weren't shown on the big screens?

  25. Default

    The HT entertainment last night was an embarrassment, dont see why we need it at all or maybe just have young kids teams playing a quick 5 / 7 a side knockout tournament during the season.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Leybourne, Kent
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Don`t think we need any half time entertainment at all - the bits either side of half time are entertaining enough - it`s either, farce, tragedy or delirium.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    What was the name of that really fat bloke we had first season at St Mary’s who they got running on the pitch a few times for some sort of “entertainment”? I remember seeing him on the Jeremy Kyle show a few years later crying because he was so fat and his mum saying she didn’t help because she always let him eat what he wanted.

    Then there was the time we had that old bloke from Eastenders come on the pitch, WTF was the point of that?
    That was Steve Bull. To be fair to him, he’s sorted himself out, lost about 20 stone and is now married I believe.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warsash saint View Post
    I miss the Dell days of a guy hanging the other games half time results on a board!
    and the bloke walking around the touchline selling very dubious "cough sweets" and calling out "Cough no more for sixpence!" No that's what I call Half Time entertainment. Oh and we had the old lads of the brass band marching around out of step

    Those were the days eh lads?

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Was the shambles of the light show, why the teams weren't shown on the big screens?
    Worse than that, whilst the game was in play(as in players actually attacking and defending not waiting for a corner) they showed a Highways Agency advisory advert about not hogging the middle lan of the motorway, just as I thinking why is a Space Invader getting bigger on the screen, just as the nippers sat behind “that’s a Space Invader, why is a space invader on the screen?”.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool/Winchester
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Saintettes wearing Dennis Rofe masks. #Crowdpleaser

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Worse than that, whilst the game was in play(as in players actually attacking and defending not waiting for a corner) they showed a Highways Agency advisory advert about not hogging the middle lan of the motorway, just as I thinking why is a Space Invader getting bigger on the screen, just as the nippers sat behind “that’s a Space Invader, why is a space invader on the screen?”.
    Yeah, I noticed that. Mostly tried to ignor it but having them show video adverts for Virgin Media and the highway agency during play felt like a new low for advertising at the football. Very American.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    16,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
    Can we have a fit woman presenter as well, like the one at Wolves she was a delight to look at! unlike the two plums that do our pitch side microphone talk?
    It's weird isn't it. The presenter should either be a fit bird or a manly man. We usually end up with local radio, last-to-be-picked, nancies.

    And keep it simple. Read out the announcements for the kids / simpletons. Then have a nippers relay. The suggestion of having Saints v oppo is a good one. Form the Saints team from Junior Saints - is that still a thing? - and invite the opposotion's junior club to bring a team.

    Easy.

  33. Default

    I thought Kenzie was easy enough on the eye, although always found it strange her tottering around on high heels.

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    It's weird isn't it. The presenter should either be a fit bird or a manly man. We usually end up with local radio, last-to-be-picked, nancies.

    And keep it simple. Read out the announcements for the kids / simpletons. Then have a nippers relay. The suggestion of having Saints v oppo is a good one. Form the Saints team from Junior Saints - is that still a thing? - and invite the opposotion's junior club to bring a team.

    Easy.
    Reading used to have to local kids teams take part in a penalty shoot out (in training goals next to the proper goals - ice hockey run from the halfway line style). Was still a bit rubbish of course but good for the local kids to be playing at their local big team ground and was actually more interesting to watch than anything saints while being able to talk to your neighbour through it. Think i only saw it at Elm Park when i went with a reading fan mate so no idea if its a problem on lovely new pitches which are maybe watered and prodded at halftime.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    I thought Kenzie was easy enough on the eye, although always found it strange her tottering around on high heels.
    Never got that myself either, the moment she stepped onto the pitch she looked very uncomfortable. Made me think of Kirsty Gallagher hosting the presentation ceremony for Sky on the 18th green at Wentworth, she tottered out uncomfortably to the middle of the green on her toes, and stood like that for the duration, as if she had been told the head groundsman was hiding in the trees with his snipers rifle and should a mere millimetre of heel puncture the grass she was getting liquidated!

  36. Default

    See from the Behind the Scenes video that Kenzie is still around. Bring her back to do the main bit.

  37. #37

    Default

    The music and announcements are so loud I had to put my fingers in my ears at one point. A couple of seasons ago, we couldn't hear the announcements. Now I could probably hear them if I stayed home.

    And if we must have music, can we have something classy and Saints related when the teams come out? Other teams have their themes (YNWA, Bubbles, Johnny Todd etc) why can't we have a decent version of OWTS - perhaps Louis Armstrong or a trad New Orleans band? Anything would better than the awful garbage we have now.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    See from the Behind the Scenes video that Kenzie is still around. Bring her back to do the main bit.
    Need to turn the PA down first, otherwise windows would be shattering from Sholing to Totton!

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
    Can we have a fit woman presenter as well, like the one at Wolves she was a delight to look at! unlike the two plums that do our pitch side microphone talk?
    I thought it was Benali's daughter? She is hot!

  40. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ozzmeister View Post
    I thought it was Benali's daughter? She is hot!
    https://youtu.be/hwx_wmFmHaA?t=281

    How Franny ever contributed to that is a complete mystery.

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    https://youtu.be/hwx_wmFmHaA?t=281

    How Franny ever contributed to that is a complete mystery.
    Never mind that. Is she any good at left back?

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warsash saint View Post
    I miss the Dell days of a guy hanging the other games half time results on a board!
    Those were the days ! That was an important part of the day. It was always a source of amusement if the bloke dropped one of the numbers from the scoreboard bringing about a large cheer. It didn't happen often, but I remember on one occasion the same number wouldn't stay in place and felll from the board three times.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    4 miles north of the dewsbury rd
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Jesus, that shootout was shocking!
    My preference would be for a 20 minute long light show prior to the match infused with some banging trance music!! I’ll even offer my services to sort the playlist.... ��who the hell chose the music on Wednesday?? Terrible.

  44. #44

    Default

    Who cares? It's 15 minutes while most people are in the toilet or the concourse. Wouldn't bother me if we just watched the sprinklers for the entirety of the break.

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    Who cares? It's 15 minutes while most people are in the toilet or the concourse. Wouldn't bother me if we just watched the sprinklers for the entirety of the break.
    Last time I watched any halftime entertainment was at the dell - not missed it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •