Weekend 2/3 March Other Games

Bad Wolf

"hit his hand"?

It his his arm just above the elbow. His hands were shielded by his body in a completely natural position. It's difficult to see how he could have made himself less 'big' unless he had stuffed his arms down inside his shirt and grabbed both his testicloes at the same time.

below the elbow on the clip I saw.

"Former Premier League referee Peter Walton: “We called it straight away,” he said. “The way Kimpembe has gone up there, left his arm out, turned his back, and made himself bigger. This is exactly why VAR has been brought in. VAR has to decide if it’s in the area so that he can adjudicate on it. For me, that’s a handball. He’s turned his back, not taken responsibility for his arm. It’s a penalty kick.”

below the elbow on the clip I saw.

"Former Premier League referee Peter Walton: “We called it straight away,” he said. “The way Kimpembe has gone up there, left his arm out, turned his back, and made himself bigger. This is exactly why VAR has been brought in. VAR has to decide if it’s in the area so that he can adjudicate on it. For me, that’s a handball. He’s turned his back, not taken responsibility for his arm. It’s a penalty kick.”

others disagree with him though

Clattenburg wrote in the Daily Mail: “Let’s be clear, referee Damir Skomina applied the laws as UEFA wish them to be in awarding Manchester United their late penalty in Paris.

“But PSG will be furious, and I understand why. This, for me, should not have been a penalty as Presnel Kimpembe did not deliberately handle the ball.

“This would never be given as a penalty in the Premier League, but it was given in the Champions League because of UEFA’s recent instruction to referees.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-champions-league/opinions-split-over-manchester-uniteds-last-gasp-penalty-against-psg/ar-BBUtKzF?ocid=spartandhp

others disagree with him though

Clattenburg wrote in the Daily Mail: “Let’s be clear, referee Damir Skomina applied the laws as UEFA wish them to be in awarding Manchester United their late penalty in Paris.

“But PSG will be furious, and I understand why. This, for me, should not have been a penalty as Presnel Kimpembe did not deliberately handle the ball.

“This would never be given as a penalty in the Premier League, but it was given in the Champions League because of UEFA’s recent instruction to referees.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-champions-league/opinions-split-over-manchester-uniteds-last-gasp-penalty-against-psg/ar-BBUtKzF?ocid=spartandhp

There you go again. English referees interpreting the rules as they see them.

For UEFA it's clearer. Handball in the box deflects shot= Penalty.

Some of the scything tackles you see week in, week out in the PL would be straight reds in most other championships.

The football is better in the UK, it's closer to the old game but it's not really in accordance with modern rules applied elsewhere.

Edited by Window Cleaner

There you go again. English referees interpreting the rules as they see them.

For UEFA it's clearer. Handball in the box deflects shot= Penalty.

Some of the scything tackles you see week in, week out in the PL would be straight reds in most other championships.

The football is better in the UK, it's closer to the old game but it's not really in accordance with modern rules applied elsewhere.

The problem with this interpretation of the laws is that players are going to spend the whole game aiming shots at their opponents’ arms in the hope of winning a penalty. It distorts the whole purpose of the game.

The problem with this interpretation of the laws is that players are going to spend the whole game aiming shots at their opponents’ arms in the hope of winning a penalty. It distorts the whole purpose of the game.
Isn't that great big white rectangular object a slightly bigger target to aim shots at than a particular player's arm?

That’s exactly what Danny Mills was saying as co commentator on 5live in the aftermath of the Penalty awarded against City in the Shalke CL match, that the current VAR interpretation of handball in Europe was open to that kind of abuse - in a Cul de Sac being ushered away from goal attacker just flicks the ball up at opposing players arm in the box - spot kick. As an ex player he was less than impressed at this thought, as were Hargreaves, Owen, and Ferdinand on BT the other night.

All of this makes me think of a home game we had v Chelsea a few years back, we were losing and under the cosh a bit, damage limitation had become making sure GD didn’t get worse. Chelsea on the attack red and white bus in front of goal showing no way through, Saints player (ok stupidly had an arm slightly raised) as he ran to block Lampards forthcoming shot, Lampard, and fair play to his quickness of mind, instead of taking the shot at goal flicked the ball in the direction of no other Chelsea player, but he was purposely aiming at the closing Saints players arm. Mike Dean the ref duly obliged pointing to the spot pretty much as the ball left Lampards boot.

You can see the definition of Handball, as the referees briefing in Europe has stated, being abused, and the 4th official having to get a bigger board to show the double figure VAR added minutes. If the same directive is taken up in the Premier League next season we won’t be getting the final whistle in some games until after 5pm!!

Away from the Handball stuff, did anybody watch the Chelsea game last night, and in particular the conversation about Kantes new contract at Chelsea alledgedly being worth £290k per week!! Just made me think once again - what chance to we actually have in keeping any decent player when money like that comes knocking on the door?

Well if they help you by jumping and flailing their arms, seek no further.

True, but in this case he was nowhere near 'flailing his arms'. The arm that the ball hit was in a natural position by his side.

Even then, aiming to hit somebody's arm all the time is not the type of football that I want to watch.

I agree with Tony Cascarino in The Times this morning:

"Tony Cascarino: It is too easy to win a penalty – and VAR will make it worse"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tony-cascarino-there-are-too-many-penalties-and-var-will-make-it-worse-qpbjd2lws (paywall)

True, but in this case he was nowhere near 'flailing his arms'. The arm that the ball hit was in a natural position by his side.

Even then, aiming to hit somebody's arm all the time is not the type of football that I want to watch.

I agree with Tony Cascarino in The Times this morning:

"Tony Cascarino: It is too easy to win a penalty – and VAR will make it worse"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tony-cascarino-there-are-too-many-penalties-and-var-will-make-it-worse-qpbjd2lws (paywall)

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/A248/production/_105944514_tv052787126.jpg

Justly, his arm wasn't in a natural position. UEFA is quite, quite clear about it. He's blocking the shot, just like they told him to in the U11s at Montfermeil or somewhere like that. Players learn to cheat at a very young age and UEFA are stamping it out. Good for them. If he doesn't turn his back there wouldn't be a penalty..

Edited by Window Cleaner

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/A248/production/_105944514_tv052787126.jpg

Justly, his arm wasn't in a natural position. UEFA is quite, quite clear about it. He's blocking the shot, just like they told him to in the U11s at Montfermeil or somewhere like that. Players learn to cheat at a very young age and UEFA are stamping it out. Good for them. If he doesn't turn his back there wouldn't be a penalty..

You are aware that the ball struck his right arm? The one that’s down by his side with his hand hidden across his stomach. It’s difficult to imagine what more he could have done to get it out of the way. If the shot had hit his left arm then I might have agreed with you.