Man Utd v Saints Match Thread

St Chalet

HT. Never expected us to be in the lead and we've rode our luck a little. But v happy right now - especially with Cardiff 2-0 down.

This ref though. Words can't describe how much contempt I am holding him in right now. The last time I saw a refereeing display so blatantly biased it was on Escape to Victory.

Oh no doubt. I’m not sure it was a foul on Bertrand but that doesn’t mean the ref isn’t looking to give them every decision he can.

Agreed.

And judging by the comments on here, agreed by everyone - and probably any neutrals too, I'd imagine.

Ref has been imbalanced, to say the least.

Good first half. Gunn kept us in it early, Saints grew into the game. Valery’s goal was a laser beam into the keeper’s top left corner. I think de Gea got a hand to it but it was too well-struck.

Feels like we’re up against 12 men with the ref though. In fairness, he was probably unsighted for the shirt grab on the first penalty call. Smalling was a little bit canny there.

Great 1st half from us, we look really up for this game, credit to them all what ever the final outcome they have given it one hell of a go, superb strike from Valery too, just hope the ref doesn't bottle it and give them an easy way back into it as he and his assistants have been awful and given Utd all the calls so far

God, I remember this feeling. I LIKE this feeling. Saints up against one of the great teams and more than matching them. If we'd signed Valery for £30m, we'd be pleased w the quality he's showing. What. A. Player. Gunn superb. Redmond tireless. Whatever happens from here, it's an encouraging day.

Make no mistake- VAR will not be the answer. They would not have overturned those decisions because of the colour of the shirt. Anyone in any doubt look at the penalty in the Asia Cup final by another bent ref.

That said, real credit to the lads out there. Bertrand looking good (stupid tackle aside), Redmond a real effective outlet who releases pressure at key times. Gunn best game so far. Defence putting a shift in against serious attacking talent. Might as well accept the ref is making sure we dont walk away with the points today. I'm a former ref and so will usually stand up for them...not today. Disgraceful.

God, I remember this feeling. I LIKE this feeling. Saints up against one of the great teams and more than matching them. If we'd signed Valery for £30m, we'd be pleased w the quality he's showing. What. A. Player. Gunn superb. Redmond tireless. Whatever happens from here, it's an encouraging day.
Yes indeed. And if only all results can stay the same to FT, we're 15th and almost as close to top half as relegation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0-1 h/t. We've played well, in the main, although defensively we've ridden our luck. Can we hold out? Will Lukaku keep missing? Unlikely.

Referee's been as bent as I've seen in a long time.

Perhaps replace Bertrand at h/t before he gets himself sent off? Seems to be in a niggly mood today - and his challenge that got a yellow card was almost a martial art, so ridiculous was it.

Credit to Valery for a belting strike, but also because he's owned the right side so far.

I'd still be happy with a point. No way United won't get a soft penalty from this ref.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

HT. Never expected us to be in the lead and we've rode our luck a little. But v happy right now - especially with Cardiff 2-0 down.

This ref though. Words can't describe how much contempt I am holding him in right now. The last time I saw a refereeing display so blatantly biased it was on Escape to Victory.

So a last minute overhead kick equalizer for Redmond and then Ferguson gives him a standing ovation?

So a last minute overhead kick equalizer for Redmond and then Ferguson gives him a standing ovation?

We've ridden our luck, but if United's finishing has been poor, then that's the way it is. We could ourselves have been two up if it hadn't been that Stuart Atwell hadn't been United's 12th man. A reasonable penalty shout and several clear cut fouls not given to us, as well as an obvious goal kick given to them as a corner. And where did three minutes of extra time come from? With a bit of luck the fourth official will have a word in his shell-like and tell him that he has been a biased tw*t and he will make some attempt to be a bit more professional in the second half. We've played well and disrupted them with our pressing and movement. Valery has been exceptional in mugging Pogba a couple of times and his goal was sublime.

While United have the quality to turn this around, it’s a lovely but unnerving feeling leading United at half time at Old Trafford. Ralph needs to make the correct subs, even if it means bringing defenders on, and we need to avoid red cards at all costs.

United are a very good team. A draw would be excellent. A win? Miraculous.

Make no mistake- VAR will not be the answer. They would not have overturned those decisions because of the colour of the shirt. Anyone in any doubt look at the penalty in the Asia Cup final by another bent ref.

That said, real credit to the lads out there. Bertrand looking good (stupid tackle aside), Redmond a real effective outlet who releases pressure at key times. Gunn best game so far. Defence putting a shift in against serious attacking talent. Might as well accept the ref is making sure we dont walk away with the points today. I'm a former ref and so will usually stand up for them...not today. Disgraceful.

Completely agree with this, VAR will only work for black and white decisions, is it off side or not etc. It will not work when decisions are decided by opinion, such as I think that was a pen, I don't think that was a pen. the big teams will still get the decisions, we'll just have to sit through the nonsense as every goal gets looked at, with the decision makers looking for reasons to give the big teams the goal and looking for reasons to not give the smaller teams decisions.