Man United 3-2 Saints Reactions

Bad Wolf

Shows how bad we were under Hughes.

It's ironic that Hughes managed to galvanise the players at the end of last season sufficiently to avoid relegation, yet failed to do so at the beginning of this season.

If we had been relegated though, I don't think we would now be challenging for promotion back into the Premiership with him at the helm, so the situation at present is more hopeful.

That was a penalty for me. It's like the guy on tv here said. If that was Madrid/Barca every player/fan/coach would have been going nuts calling for a penalty. The fact was Utd didn't complain and were happy to play on.

But when you actually look at the replay, their player is looking at the ball, turns his back and puts his arm down. If he kept his arm by his chest when he turned it would have been harsh. But he moved his arm towards the ball and having your back turned doesn't make it accidental.

Lol. What do you make of that VAR decision? I’d have been ****ed off if that was against Saints. His back was turned. Hmm.
Yep, defo no penalty IMO. But how cool was Rashford? We've got some decent English penalty takers at long last.

I guess in a way this highlights how difficult the job of referee is. Even with the angles we get and slowed down the opinions are still divided.

The human element (not necessarily conscious bias) is still always going to be a factor. He must have been under a lot of pressure to get that one right but Man U are probably the bigger club so I guess it’s the safer decision.

Which is the right answer. That was a complete joke.

Peter Walton disagrees with you. According to the rules as currently written, he says it is a definite handball.

To paraphrase:

"He's left his arm out, he's turned his back and taken no responsibility for where the ball is striking him, he's made himself bigger... for me that's a handball."

His later comments in the video suggest official guidelines are to look more closely at handball decisions and rule against the defender more often.

Had he been on the ground then he'd have no complaints as he'd blocked a goalbound effort.

But his arm prevented the ball hitting the bloke in Row TT - the ball was going out for a goalkick, he gained nothing from having his arm away from his side.

It's just unfortunate that it's come straight after their 'good fortune' against us, it just confirms the feeling that some clubs are 'lucky', in every game.

Always thought VAR was there to turn over clear cut decisions. Seems going on comments here and on FBits a bit divided (not seen the incident).

Var does still seem to be subjective.

Last night penalty was a bit fortunate, but players are better off facing up to the shot and taking a smack in the face if required.

If there had been VAR on Saturday, you just know that our penalty shouts would have been turned down, United would have got on for the slight touch on Sanchez by Vallery and the ricochet onto Bednark's arm. Plus the Lukaku first goal would have stood, as he was kept onside by a lock of Vestegatd's hair!

Var does still seem to be subjective.

Last night penalty was a bit fortunate, but players are better off facing up to the shot and taking a smack in the face if ruequired.

If there had been VAR on Saturday, you just know that our penalty shouts would have been turned down, United would have got on for the slight touch on Sanchez by Vallery and the ricochet onto Bednark's arm. Plus the Lukaku first goal would have stood, as he was kept onside by a lock of Vestegatd's hair!

This is the sad truth.