Man United 3-2 Saints Reactions

Bad Wolf

Very unlucky not to get at least a point today. Unfortunately the gutless referee decided that he would have an easy afternoon at Old Trafford by giving virtually every decision in Utd's favour and denying us two good penalty shouts. These type of referees are absolute cowards who prefer to meekly submit so as not to incur the wrath of the home crowd. It is high time such lack of moral fibre was highlighted by downgrading these biased officials who would rather appease the home fans than give fair and impartial decisions. A disgraceful performance from the referee and I hope he is hauled across the coals for it.

Bring on VAR will take away full responsibilty from the refs so more will be given

Before the game I feared a drubbing so I feel like I should be pretty pleased with our performance..... yet I feel totally gutted and I want to punch the ref in the face hard...

This, absolutely. I thought we were terrific today and robbed blind by the ref.

There's a lot to take from that game. The only reason I was so infuriated at the end was because I've lost count of the amount of times we've played well against Utd, only for the officials to hand them the points on a silver plate.

Good performance from our lot. Glad to see Valery maturing well. This is why you need to have patience with young players and give them a chance to bed in. So to all those that have criticized him, he's coming on nicely and i'd have him over Cedric every day of the week.

JWP is a new player under Ralph. He still has the same work-rate but he's getting more involved and is being given more freedom to get forward. He's benefiting from a more attacking style. Lemina is going to have to work hard in training if he wants to get back into the starting XI.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

I think two more wins should see us safe as I cannot see Cardiff getting 10 points from their last 9 fixtures which include Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd.

Hmmm....there will be a few twists and turns before the end of the season. Hopefully we will finish at least 17th or 16th as I predicted back in July.

Three things cost us the game;

We don't have a decent striker like Lukaku

Players exhausted after 65 minutes, too soon after Wednesday night

Bertrand told to be less aggressive in second half because of his caution for over enthusiastic play.

Apart from that a thoroughly decent performance that deserved at least a point and maybe 3

"too soon after Wednesday night"?

Surely Man Utd also played Wednesday night?

Hmmm....there will be a few twists and turns before the end of the season. Hopefully we will finish at least 17th or 16th as I predicted back in July.

...and the July before that, and the July before that , and.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t tell you, to be honest. Plus this late in the season fighting against relegation is not a point for experimenting so I’m not too sure.

Redmond has improved. But he’s somehow a major symbol that I think is misguided. Again, the guy works hard but his decision making and team play stunts the teams growth. Or at best slows team building and improvement down.

Absolutely clueless.

Looks like a two horse race between us and Cardiff from now on.

Can all change. At one point today we were above Brighton and Burnley in table. Others can get sucked back in but don’t think Cardiff are going to catch anyone

Fairly sure we had the same stream for the game, as I'm based in NYC, and thought Yoshida and Redmond had decent games today. Not sure its realistic to expect every opportunity to result in a goal, and Redmond tried to open up space, makes runs, and lure defenders into challenges that would result in free-kicks. There are areas for improvement with everyone in our squad but no one I'd currently start ahead of either of the two you called out.

Gunn was magnificent against today. Had you suggested a weak performance was that by the guy in goal for our U21s last night, who let in a goal through his legs, then I'd certainly agree with you. Consistency in refereeing decisions is all I'd ask for, and even with VAR I don't believe much will change. Advantage the profit making exercise that is the Premier League and the six protected cashcows.

Redmond has improved. But he’s somehow a major symbol that I think is misguided. Again, the guy works hard but his decision making and team play stunts the teams growth. Or at best slows team building and improvement down.

Interesting analysis from across the pond and hard to disagree that Redmond is somehow a major symbol that is misguided.

it difficult for me to to get buoyed by seeing us play really well against a really good team when more often than not we turn around & play like crap against a really bad team; They both result in f*** all. Nothing. No points.

we'll likely stay up, but 17th place two years in a row doesn't historically bode well for clubs in the PL.

Reminder: we lost today. Zero points. I mean, well played and all that but look at the social media and it’s like we won. Valero scores a great goal. Jwp too. But we lost. We need wins, or at least unexpected draws

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reminder: we lost today. Zero points. I mean, well played and all that but look at the social media and it’s like we won. Valero scores a great goal. Jwp too. But we lost. We need wins, or at least unexpected draws

It’s first class insight like this that is invaluable. You would be wasted in nuclear physics....

I feel much better going away from the league’s top form side feeling robbed than I would coming away from Wolves with naff all and a key player injured. At this stage, that’s all that matters.

This was Cardiff’s chance wasted, not ours.

So, the MOTD pundits agree that we should have had a penalty and one of United's goals was offside, which means the score should have been 3-2 to us. Why didn't they mention that last bit?

Like several other of our other excellent performances in Manchester against both United and City we were robbed of the points which correct refereeing decisions should have given us. Even our first game back in the Premier League was a 3-2 defeat to Man City won by a goal by Tevez, who was a yard offside.

Loss aside, and we were robbed twice, if we play with that press and spirit, we can push away from the bottom 3. I want to stay up under our own steam, not rely on simply being better than Cardiff, and if we keep playing as we have been in the last couple (since Yoshida came back in...coincidence?) we will be ok. IMO the third team relegated will have 33 to 35 points, we just have to have more than that. 3 more wins should do it, my only concern is scoring enough goals but Ings and even Lemina surely can't be a million miles away...

Yes I’m dead serious. There are some things they are good at, and they’re hard workers, but they’re decision making and marking (look at both lukaku goals) is a recurring problem.

Give others a chance and build upon newbies rather than relying on these two and I think the team becomes better exponentially.

Are you a magician? Because I am in dire need of a spell.

If we take these two out to replace them with "newbies" - which we don't have anyway right now - we very obviously will not become exponentially better.

after 29 games last season :

28 points |-12 GD

after 29 games this season:

27 points | -17 GD

Isn’t that partly due to the top 6 or seven pulling farther away from the rest? Fewer points left to go around below that section of the table?

Yes I’m dead serious. There are some things they are good at, and they’re hard workers, but they’re decision making and marking (look at both lukaku goals) is a recurring problem.

Give others a chance and build upon newbies rather than relying on these two and I think the team becomes better exponentially.

Hahahaha comedy gold

It’s first class insight like this that is invaluable. You would be wasted in nuclear physics....

Ok. Spelling it out a bit more. Why all the footage of players clapping the fans and general celebration? Why do we all seem so cheery at losing? I’m gutted.

Ok. Spelling it out a bit more. Why all the footage of players clapping the fans and general celebration? Why do we all seem so cheery at losing? I’m gutted.

I'll spell it out for you: the celebration was all about how we played and not the result. The team played really well and made MU look average in the first half. When we went 2-1 down the team rallied and fought back, as they did when we went 3-2 down. It was a great game - the type of game we were not getting under Puel or Pellegino or Hughes.

We went down with all colours flying and our players clearly did their best, Man U have more quality than us and that cannot be denied but it is no coincidence that Stuart Atwill bottled the 2 penalty appeals for us at the Stretford end but gave Man U theirs.

I think you will find that they were happy with their own performance and the great backing by the away support. Whilst we lost suspect you also may have felt that we would lose by at least 2 goals. It was a moral victory and whilst we got zero points, there maybe a togetherness and determination to push on. Time will tell but hopefully we can get the points needed to go up a few places.

Why on earth would the players NOT go and acknowledge the fans who probably travelled up shelled out solid coin to watch their team put in a performance.

Yes the result was disappointing, but that's no reason to snub supporters.

28 points |-12 GD

27 points | -17 GD

Not Ralph's fault though. Hughes managed to be even worse, in the first half of the season, than MoPe was last season which is some achievement.

Staying up after Hughes mega crapfest was always going to be a battle.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'll spell it out for you: the celebration was all about how we played and not the result. The team played really well and made MU look average in the first half. When we went 2-1 down the team rallied and fought back, as they did when we went 3-2 down. It was a great game - the type of game we were not getting under Puel or Pellegino or Hughes.
It's never a great game when we lose especially in our current predicament.

While I appreciate we gave a good account of ourselves personally I would have been far happier if we had been total crap and scored a last minute winner of Romeu's arse and got the three points.

I've got to say I'm surprised at the positivity here..yes, it was a good performance and and excellent game in general but we still lost from a winning position and conceded in the last 5 minutes. It seems because it was against a resurgent Man Utd everyone seems relatively happy. I wonder how the reaction will be if we do the same against Brighton in a couple of weeks. To my memory we often raised our game against the big clubs even under MP and MH and then returned to normal for the next game. We still got zero points from the game and are out of the bottom three only because Cardiff currently seem worse than us.(despite beating us twice)

Sorry if I seem a bedwetter here but I'm afraid I'm not as positive about a game that followed exactly the same storyline as most other games from the past two years, netted no points and had us concede three goals. I've had too many false dawns to be celebrating the "manner" of our defeat. (i.e. no personal errors leading to the goals)

Also, apart from the first penalty which was a definite, I thought the ref did okay. the game, particularly first half, was really niggly and he could've been very card happy. I thought Bertrand was lucky to stay on the pitch, their penalty was stonewall & our second would have been incredibly soft.

I don't post often nowadays but I thought it was interesting that I found myself so out of step with the general feel after this match it was worth putting my head above the parapet. I hope I'm wrong and we kick on from a good performance and keep it up next week...

I've got to say I'm surprised at the positivity here..yes, it was a good performance and and excellent game in general but we still lost from a winning position and conceded in the last 5 minutes. It seems because it was against a resurgent Man Utd everyone seems relatively happy. I wonder how the reaction will be if we do the same against Brighton in a couple of weeks. To my memory we often raised our game against the big clubs even under MP and MH and then returned to normal for the next game. We still got zero points from the game and are out of the bottom three only because Cardiff currently seem worse than us.(despite beating us twice)

Sorry if I seem a bedwetter here but I'm afraid I'm not as positive about a game that followed exactly the same storyline as most other games from the past two years, netted no points and had us concede three goals. I've had too many false dawns to be celebrating the "manner" of our defeat. (i.e. no personal errors leading to the goals)

Also, apart from the first penalty which was a definite, I thought the ref did okay. the game, particularly first half, was really niggly and he could've been very card happy. I thought Bertrand was lucky to stay on the pitch, their penalty was stonewall & our second would have been incredibly soft.

I don't post often nowadays but I thought it was interesting that I found myself so out of step with the general feel after this match it was worth putting my head above the parapet. I hope I'm wrong and we kick on from a good performance and keep it up next week...

I agree with most of that bar the ref who was very biased imo as refs tend to be with the big six.

I see what you are saying, but it was a relief to a degree that we went toe to toe against a very good side. Yes you are right that we had the same old result, but playing like that does give a bit of extra hope we can push on. Its whether the team can play well in the not so glamorous games. This season is like last season as we need to survive and now have a manager with a plan,

Have to say I agree. Over the past month we should have got ourselves into a secure position where we could have travelled to Old Trafford, got done 0-2 and it not mattering at all. But we utterly blew it.

You are correct that we mastered the great-performance/noble-defeat thing against big clubs under Pellegrino and Hughes. Nothing special. I see it as players playing for their own career rather than to actually benefit the team. Let's try like that against Brighton lads, or why not do it versus Cardiff, Palace and Burnley last month?

I thought we'd need to score 3 to get a point before kick-off and so it proved.

I do think we can stay up because Cardiff are shot, but I am still not convinced where we will actually secure any points.

Edited by CB Fry

The positivity is about the performance not the result, yes it was gutting when their winner went, if this happened against Brighton the feeling would be completely different. it's all about nuance, we scored two nice away goals against the inform side and played really well. That's a currency we can take into the upcoming games and its down to RH and the boys to produce this against Brighton now. Do that and we will be on our way to being safe.

That's why people are ok with yesterday's game.

28 points |-12 GD

27 points | -17 GD

Last season there were a whole bunch of teams trying to avoid 2 spots and at this stage one win covered everyone from about 14th to 19th.

This season the bottom 2 are already gone and a desperately poor Cardiff team is clinging on to the tails of everyone else.

Watched MOTD and the ‘Officials’ were poor yesterday, the Ref especially. Roll on VAR.
there still will be bad decisions. You watch game and the pundits cant decide. The favourite managers and teams will still get a rub of the green as it is human nature where people favour some more than others and in tight situations that will decide where the decision comes down

Good performance but can Ralph can get that level for the rest of our games?

If he can then a point against Spurs is possible with Spam hopefully doing us a favour against Cardiff. With a 3 point gap, superior GD, 8 games left and our tails up I'd fancy our chances.

So many can’t see why yesterday was encouraging, and don’t see the marked difference between how we performed away against Spurs, Liverpool, City where we were never in game and out of it by HT.

Not saying it has huge significance but fck me what does give you hope or enjoyment if can’t be proud of how they did yesterday?

Edited by whelk

So many can’t see why yesterday was encouraging, and don’t see the marked difference between how we performed away against Spurs, Liverpool, City where we were never in game and out of it by HT.

Not saying it has huge significance but fck me what does give you hope or enjoyment if can’t be proud of how they did yesterday?

Agree. Under Hasenhuttl we have been a largely decent side, unfortunately we chose to have a dip during the msot key run of all, but we have had the chance to take points in every single game under him aside from Arsenal away.

There has been a big improvement. The reason we are where we are is almost entirely due to a dreadful summer (and January) window and Hughes not giving the team any structure.

I havent checked, but imagine since RH came in we are probably not even in the bottom 6 for results during that time - a good achievement.

We've had plenty of games the last few years were we've upped it against a big team (and some where we haven't) and still come away with **** all yesterday was hardly a new experience. The problem is every time we get one of these type of performance its usual followed up by some turd of a performance against some ****e team and turns out to be another false dawn.

Games like yesterday would be more palatable if we where sitting safely mid table having managed to take more points of teams like Cardiff and Burnley as things stand I'd rather we played badly and walked away with points.