Man United 3-2 Saints Reactions

Bad Wolf

Draw would have been fair.

Really unlucky to lose and 2 stonewall penalties not given.

Proud of the side today - especially as we have no strikers at the club.

JWP fully deserves an England call up and Valery's goal was sensational.

Ref was shocking, first half especially. Have no doubts that he cost us 3 points. You need the rub of the green when we are in our position away at united. Played superbly and deserved the win, did enough to warrant 2 pens at 1-0 up and the ref gave neither... not to mention all the fouls on us that he ignored, and all the fouls and corners he wrongly gave to united. Just a joke.

Could have been worse, but honestly. Stuart Shatwell can do one.

That was cruel. Deserved from that match. 2 cracking goals. 2 pens not given to us; a soft one given to them. Good pen save from Gunn. Thought all the players put a shift in. All played well. Hard to pick a MoM, all have a good shout for it.

Surprisingly upbeat considering we lost like that. Played really well and Cardiff were beaten.

This day could have been a lot worse.

I'm gutted, but like you upbeat because we were awesome today and were so so unlucky not to get something out of it. We really don't get the breaks, stone wall pen for us in the first half. But encouraging for the rest of the season. So refreshing to see Prowsie being positive, looking to go forward rather than sideways. Maybe we didn't get anyone in the window, but him and Redmond look like new signings since Ralf's arrived. Also shout out for Hoj keeping Pogba quiet today.

Oh well. Didn't expect to get anything beforehand, and the pressure we were under in the first 5 minutes I thought it was going to be a long afternoon.

So to play well and get within a minute or two of drawing was a nice surprise.

Yes, it's annoying that we gave away yet another late goal, but Man U have done that to better teams than us recently, and it's not like it was a horrific mistake that lead to the goal - it was a brilliant turn and finish from a tight space and you can't really point the finger of blame at anyone in our defence. Lukaka just loves scoring against us it seems - 8 goals in 12 games!

I thought Redmond was brilliant but he can't do it all on his own. We need Ings back badly cos Austin was once again completely ineffective. I thought Armstrong did well when he came on.

Two very good goals - Valery's especially.

Terrible refereeing. Had he given us at least one of those penalties in the first half it could/would have been a very different story. And it was inevitable he would give one to Man U after the slightest touch. Probably the right call - was clever from Rashford to stick his leg out and make sure that Armstrong contacted with him instead of the ball, but where's the consistency? If he gives that he has to give the ones in our favour as well. Very poor.

At least we marginally increased our gap on Cardiff by way of goal difference.

I'm gutted, but like you upbeat because we were awesome today and were so so unlucky not to get something out of it. We really don't get the breaks, stone wall pen for us in the first half. But encouraging for the rest of the season. So refreshing to see Prowsie being positive, looking to go forward rather than sideways. Maybe we didn't get anyone in the window, but him and Redmond look like new signings since Ralf's arrived. Also shout out for Hoj keeping Pogba quiet today.

Agree with all that. Expected to lose but now gutted that we got nothing from that game.

Odd how Yoshida’s marking of Lukaku goes unnoticed. If that was Stephens he’d be getting pellters from everyone on here.

Our defenders will make mistakes and be responsible for goals. That’s why they play for us and aren’t Toby or Virgil. Stephens is a Championship player who regularly makes absolute bowlers which throw away results in many games.

I thought it was a pretty great game on both sides. That being said, why yoshida and Redmond continue to play entire games, if at all, is mind boggling to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you for real?

Redmond was by far our MOTM today. And the defence has got a lot better since Yoshida came back in for the unreliable Stephens.

I thought it was a pretty great game on both sides. That being said, why yoshida and Redmond continue to play entire games, if at all, is mind boggling to me.

Erm....What?

Haven’t seen the first penalty claim but if it was as blatant as some are saying then it serves to highlight the biased refereeing but since it came just before our first goal it didn’t alter the course of the game.

I would have complained if they had got a penalty for the equivalent of the Young-Bertrand incident so I’m not going to claim that was ‘stonewall’.

My main emotion after that is anger, because we didn’t deserve to lose. We didn’t concede because of sloppy defending or because we invited pressure. Just a good finish from a player who seems to only do anything good against us.

Although I do know what Instant Classic means by “if you win, you deserve it”, but to extrapolate his board game analogy, it would be like putting yourself in a position where your opponent only wins if he rolls a six on his last go. And he does.

Are you for real?

Redmond was by far our MOTM today. And the defence has got a lot better since Yoshida came back in for the unreliable Stephens.

Yes I’m dead serious. There are some things they are good at, and they’re hard workers, but they’re decision making and marking (look at both lukaku goals) is a recurring problem.

Give others a chance and build upon newbies rather than relying on these two and I think the team becomes better exponentially.

We gave everything and got screwed. I thought everyone played well. I can't believe Lukaku made that 2nd goal, and I can't believe we didn't get 1 penalty out of Bertrans two fouls. All in all, if we played like that every week we'd be in the top 10.

Yes I’m dead serious. There are some things they are good at, and they’re hard workers, but they’re decision making and marking (look at both lukaku goals) is a recurring problem.

Give others a chance and build upon newbies rather than relying on these two and I think the team becomes better exponentially.

Which newbies? We haven’t signed anyone.

A superb performance from Saints, considering the lack of striker options up front. A great pity that we couldn't keep the point, but United know that they have been in a tight match. Ultimately the difference between us and them, is that they had World class players who will finish eventually given enough misses when they are having an off day, whereas we were the team showing the greater spirit and determination. Although being at Old Trafford and having a homie referee favoured them, it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that we could have kept the point at 2-2, or even sneaked all three against the rub of the green. I'm proud of the team today. There were some really good performances from most of them. Shout outs for Ward-Prowse again, also Valerie, Bertrand and Redmond, but I don't believe that any of the team had a poor game. Bring on Spurs and a similar fighting performance against them with home advantage and a referee who is neutral at worst.

You are aware that Yoshida was subbed off? Not to mention that Lukaku’s goal was a ricochet.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, but this is just a little bit silly.

So who would you pit in ahead of Redmond at the moment then?

Seriously, who else in our squad is capable of performing better than he is at the moment?

Was anyone else annoyed when we equalised? I can live with the 2-1 defeats but dragging it back like that so they could lose it again with 2 minutes left is like a cat toying with a half dead mouse.

Sadly, I can actually see where you're coming from.

Your completely deluded Redmond & yoshida should be first choice compared to the other rubbish we have available!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Hoj, Bednarek and Yoshida were all partly responsible for Lukaku’s 2nd goal but it was an ultra-clinical finish that nine times out of ten doesn’t go in. Not sure why you’re criticising Redmond’s performance. You were watching a very different game from me and I suggest most saints fans pal.

Gutted by a one goal defeat at Old Trafford!

Thought everyone played well, other than when the central midfield disappeared for their equaliser .

Ref was awful, I can't remember us getting a free kick until the 2nd half, plus the penalties not given.

Unlucky but we are still out of the drop zone.

We gave everything and got screwed. I thought everyone played well. I can't believe Lukaku made that 2nd goal, and I can't believe we didn't get 1 penalty out of Bertrans two fouls. All in all, if we played like that every week we'd be in the top 10.

Agree with all of this. We got robbed once again this time by Stuart Atwell. His incompetence to not award us at least one pen today has cost us at least a draw today. The whole team played great today and two great goals from Yan and Prowsey. Hopefully we can get a win next week against Tottenham hopefully with a decent ref in charge for once! Fuming right now with that ref!!

I think if we play like that we are going to cause Spurs all sorts of troubles, they were pretty awful it seems today against Arsenal and were lucky to draw (goal was offside, saved pen), and they have been in poor form for the last 5-6

This has got a familiar ring to it. It is the fourth time we have lost 3 2 to Man United since we were promoted. Each time we have played well but have just lacked something and have ended up bemoaning our luck. I do hate playing them.