Saints v Spurs - Build-up

SuperSAINT

1-1

If we're lucky.

I'd take that. It would be nice if our goal came really late as well like 90+2. Seems that I have had to spend a lot of time in recent seasons watching the opposition celebrate late winners/equalizers it would be nice to be the one doing the celebrating for a change....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Get through this game and we should have Lemina and Ings back for the run in, certainly two of our more talented players in the squad.

You'd certainly hope so. After this game we only have 8 games remaining of which Ings can't play against Liverpool anyway so you'd hope he'd be able to contribute in the other 7 matches.

I forget that Lemina even plays for us , his impact this season has been minimal. Wouldn't surprise me if Hoijberg bags another suspension before the end of the season so we'll need him.

I just can't see us beating Spurs, we'll concede at least 2.

Had an op, still training away from the 1st team as he continues to recover.

Does anyone know what is/was specifically wrong with him? All I've heard is that he has/had an "abdominal problem" but a multitude of conditions could fall under that general/vague description.

You'd certainly hope so. After this game we only have 8 games remaining of which Ings can't play against Liverpool anyway so you'd hope he'd be able to contribute in the other 7 matches.

I forget that Lemina even plays for us , his impact this season has been minimal. Wouldn't surprise me if Hoijberg bags another suspension before the end of the season so we'll need him.

I just can't see us beating Spurs, we'll concede at least 2.

Just nice to have the options to be honest, our bench can look very weak at times. We have no one like Lemina, and Ings is still our top scorer. 3 weeks between Spurs and our next game (Brighton) so plenty of time for both to recover by then. Nice to be full strength going into the last stretch.

As for the Spurs game, not expecting much. Hard to win games conceding as many as we do. With their recent form I just hope we can make it nervy, and not concede early doors allowing them to settle.

Does anyone know what is/was specifically wrong with him? All I've heard is that he has/had an "abdominal problem" but a multitude of conditions could fall under that general/vague description.

It does sound almost suspiciously vague. Perish the thought.

My best guess ages ago was a hernia.

No idea if that's what it was. Ralph said the op went very well but was seemingly way off on his ETA for him.

Ralph is either very optimistic or the info he's given isn't very good because it's been like that on quite a few injuries.

Hasenhuttl (during today's pre-match press conference): "We will be playing a friendly against a championship team during the 3 week PL break after the Spurs game"

Hmmm... wonder who that'll be?

Edited by trousers

My best guess ages ago was a hernia.

That was my assumption at the time too, but I always understood hernia ops didn't keep footballers out of action for weeks on end. Indeed, a quick search threw up this article, where Drogba talks about playing again only a week after a hernia op: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/drogba-fit-and-firing-after-hernia-surgery-2048001.html

He clearly had an operation, that is 100%.

So beyond that I guess Saints and Lemina have no obligation to explain exactly what that operation was for.

I don't understand the conspiracy theories. He played around Christmas after RH said he had struggled with his stomach muscle in training. It clearly showed in the games, as he was subbed at HT in a couple. They gave him rest which didn't improve it, so he had an operation and is now rehabbing from that.

So beyond that I guess Saints and Lemina have no obligation to explain exactly what that operation was for.

I don't understand the conspiracy theories.

I don't see any conspiracy theories. As a paying 'customer', I'm just genuinely interested in what the nature of his injury/condition is. And, yes, of course the club have no obligation to reveal any details. Equally, they're under no obligation to be 'secretive' about it either. Conspiracy theories tend to be born out of organisations giving the impression that they are concealing information. Ralph gives out fairly detailed status information on most players, so just seems a little odd that they seem more guarded about Lemina's situation. Just an observation and nothing I'll be losing sleep over. Are you not even slightly curious about it?

Ings & Lemina available after the break it sounds like.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-03-07/team-news-southampton-tottenham-premier-league-201819

Ralph Hasenhüttl and Saints will head into Saturday's Premier League visit of Tottenham Hotspur with no new injury concerns, the Austrian confirmed on Thursday afternoon.

There had been a hope of getting top-scorer Danny Ings over the fitness line in time for this weekend's match but Hasenhüttl and his staff have opted for caution, electing to give Ings as much time as possible to make a full recovery.

A three-week break will follow Saturday's meeting with Spurs, a period in which the Saints boss anticipates reintroducing his number nine to first-team action in a training ground friendly as well as preliminarily preparing his team for the crunch away clash with Brighton at the end of the month.

"Danny is not in the group at the moment," he said in his pre-match press conference. "We didn’t take any risks, we want to give him the time to come back during the three-week break. We will play a friendly against a Championship team and he can play for 45 minutes maybe in that time and build up his fitness.

"This is a new situation for me, missing a game for the cup. To have such a long break during the season is unnatural. We will have everyone here for the first week and then not for the second because some will leave for their national teams.

"In that first week, we will take a few early steps towards the Brighton match but when they go to their national teams maybe they will forget what we worked on. We will try to find some rhythm but it’s not easy."

I don't understand the conspiracy theories. He played around Christmas after RH said he had struggled with his stomach muscle in training. It clearly showed in the games, as he was subbed at HT in a couple. They gave him rest which didn't improve it, so he had an operation and is now rehabbing from that.

Back training with the squad today

I guess they're not as obsessed with the situation as you appear to be?
If having a ponder on an internet football forum = "obsessed", then guilty as charged m'lud. Humble apologies for my idle curiosity ;) Edited by trousers

Not one for posting conspiracy theories, Charlie? ;)

That was my assumption at the time too, but I always understood hernia ops didn't keep footballers out of action for weeks on end. Indeed, a quick search threw up this article, where Drogba talks about playing again only a week after a hernia op: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/drogba-fit-and-firing-after-hernia-surgery-2048001.html

pretty sure that he also had an op on his ankle at the same time as groin op from the info i had given to me

Is anybody else getting pumped up about this game? Long time since it has been an exciting prospect walking up to SMS.

There is something here for us at 2-2

Not really I was pretty up for the Fulham game but I'm expecting a to lose this one, probably in the last minute, with a great big chunk of help from a biased ref....still going though.

Not really I was pretty up for the Fulham game but I'm expecting a to lose this one, probably in the last minute, with a great big chunk of help from a biased ref....still going though.

Yes I think anything out of tomorrow will be a bonus to be honest.

I’m hopeful of a good game of football I’d love us to win but a point would be great.

I think Cardiff will win, because West Ham, and we'll get beat and be back in the bottom three. I do fancy us to finish about 6 points ahead of Cardiff though. They really are **** and it's shocking how we have given them six points. In reality with that 12 point swing we should really have been 20 points clear of them end of season.

I think Cardiff will win, because West Ham, and we'll get beat and be back in the bottom three. I do fancy us to finish about 6 points ahead of Cardiff though. They really are **** and it's shocking how we have given them six points. In reality with that 12 point swing we should really have been 20 points clear of them end of season.

‘Reality’ being the hypothetical world where results go exactly the opposite way to how they did in ‘reality’?

20 points clear of the team third from bottom would put us about eighth come the end of the season.

You sure about that?