Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benali's next big challenge

I was there when Pancake went mad. 15/04/2010.

Default Benali's next big challenge

Does this guy ever stop? Deserves much more credit (and money!) than he gets!

https://planetradio.co.uk/wave-105/l...challenge-yet/

Credit where it is due this is a challenge to take your hat off too. I did the UK ironman in Bolton albeit chasing a time it's a fair distance to do x 7

Quote Originally Posted by jawillwill View Post

I love you.

The man is a legend and a bloody fit bloke for 50. I've never done a triathlon but have run plenty of marathons so know this won't be easy.

Then there are c*nts like Beckham emailing people asking what he has to do to get a knighthood... Still irks me that one.

Good luck Franny, I shall donate to the cause once again.

Perhaps it is time for Franny to appear on our banner. And not just for what he has done for Saints. What a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano6 View Post
    I love you.
    I like you too x

The guy is incredible - it would be great if the dressing room could do something special for a guy who was once a leader in there..
    Many footballers fade away after their careers, Franny has gone from strength-to-strength and demonstrated what a unique character he is.
    Our tenners or twentys are great, but a senior pro probably wouldn't miss four or five grand - and that's the sort of support he deserves.

I doubt he will be able to complete this, but good luck nonetheless.

It's amazing what he's done, just a shame it never gets the publicity it should. Any vaguely famous footballer doing this would have raised millions already just for the first challenge and he's still eager to make the 1m target. When you think of all the money in football I just thought he'd made more. Even getting more publicity from football shows, phone ins etc.

Thanks for telling us jawillwill! I didn't know about this. Have donatedas much as I can afford.

I agree that his efforts have been poorly supported especially by premier league players wbut he never gives up!!!

What a graet guy.

I just donated - don't know how he will do it but I bet he does complete it.

Wonder if MLT could promote it via Soccer Saturday?

12. Default

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47959743

Looks like it might actually be getting a bit more coverage this time, with a bit of luck.

Good article in the I newspaper as well, the guy is amazing

https://inews.co.uk/sport/francis-be...pton-marathon/

The guy deserves so much support. He should be honoured for this nationally you can do so here. I’ve done it

https://www.gov.uk/honours

It’s finally started but does anyone have a progress link?

He's apparently been on ITV's Good Morning Britain throughout this morning.

There are regular updates on Facebook on the Benali's Iron Fran page. He's on the bike now.

He's just finished his run, poor bloke looks knackered on the Facebook video.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NI Saint View Post
    He's just finished his run, poor bloke looks knackered on the Facebook video.
    Not surprised - any of the 3 elements in isolation is a real endurance feat. 1 after the other is crazy....let alone doing 7 in a row

I did the London Marathon yeesterday & am absolutley broken!!

To do what Franny is doing beggers belief?!

I can't believe what he's doing. What a guy. Is this even physically possible?

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by warsash saint View Post

Congrats - no mean feat in its own right. A marathon is no joke

It took me 15 hours to do one ironman in one day so unless he is pacing, 18 hours day 1 seems high. The key to his success would likely be recovery and 4 hours sleep would seem inadequate. Seriously impressed if he manages 2 let alone 3 in a row..totally agree with all the plaudits he receives above.

I raise my hat to you Warsash.

I have to say that I thought Franny looked better than I feared he might in the video on FB when he finished............his biggest concern seems to be the issues he was having with the food for energy he had been experiencing, which isn't the best.

No idea how he can do it on 4 hours sleep a night, I'd struggle to perform at work let alone do an ironman!

You didn't happen to be wearing a Saints shirt while doing the Marathon did you Warsash? Saw a chap around the half way mark and made sure I shouted out in support!

I was there supporting a friend, massively inspiring being there. Although seeing the pain on people's faces during and after did make me question the chances of me doing it one day. Well done though.

Hopefully Franny will be able to keep going today.

Fair play to him. Bang average footballer thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Fair play to him. Bang average footballer thou.

Not really relevant to this though. I don't think he ever thought he was an excellent footballer.

Idiot.

Day two completed. Had to do a lap of the hotel to complete the exact distance required for a marathon.
    Looks In reasonable shape. Stopped to shake hands with all the well wishers and staff members before off for the ice bath.
    Bloody incredible bloke.

I'm going to head down on his final marathon route around the Waterside, think he might need all the help he can get by then!

Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    I'm going to head down on his final marathon route around the Waterside, think he might need all the help he can get by then!
    Many idea what his last day route is and which Waterside are you referring too?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Sure I read its the Southampton Marathon route

Ha-ha just watching the nutter sat in an Ice Bath eating Ice Cream..........most would sponsor him for doing that alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    His final marathon route takes him to Beaulieu, Hill Top, Holbury, Exbury, Lepe, Calshot etc. Well according to this anyway...

https://www.ironfran.co.uk/packages/...-locations.pdf

Although I'm not sure how this ties in with the Southampton Marathon? It's a bit confusing.
    Last edited by LGTL; 01-05-2019 at 07:51 AM.

34. Default

Unbelievable challenge and looking on his website still well short of the target of 1m. Come on Saints fans ....

Quote Originally Posted by edprice1984 View Post
    You didn't happen to be wearing a Saints shirt while doing the Marathon did you Warsash? Saw a chap around the half way mark and made sure I shouted out in support!

I was there supporting a friend, massively inspiring being there. Although seeing the pain on people's faces during and after did make me question the chances of me doing it one day. Well done though.

Hopefully Franny will be able to keep going today.
    No did not run n a Saints shirt - my missus saw him as well & cheered him on. Might do the Great South Run, so a Saints shirt might be worn for that

His final marathon route takes him to Beaulieu, Hill Top, Holbury, Exbury, Lepe, Calshot etc. Well according to this anyway...

Although I'm not sure how this ties in with the Southampton Marathon? It's a bit confusing.
    According to that he's cycling the marathon route, and running the marathon distance in the areas you mentioned.

I'm surprised that the running is the last leg of the 3 events. Is swim/cycle/run the set order for iron-man?. I'd have thought leaving the cycling leg to last would be easiest* as it at least should offer opportunities for a bit of free-wheeling now and again when the tiredness really sets in.

*I use the word "easiest" with tongue in cheek. Absolutely nothing easy about any of what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
    According to that he's cycling the marathon route, and running the marathon distance in the areas you mentioned.

I'm surprised that the running is the last leg of the 3 events. Is swim/cycle/run the set order for iron-man?. I'd have thought leaving the cycling leg to last would be easiest* as it at least should offer opportunities for a bit of free-wheeling now and again when the tiredness really sets in.

*I use the word "easiest" with tongue in cheek. Absolutely nothing easy about any of what he's doing.
    Ian man is an elongated triathlon and that's the normal order. From my point of view I'd want to do a bit of freewheeling after a 2.4m swim, not that I would ever consider doing one. Crazy.

Great Video posted in the last hour of Matty running with his old mucker Franny - looks like its put some special petrol in his tank.

If you ain't coughed up - forget " I'll have one more pint" and get texting FRAN5 to 70200 ..............pretty much the price of a pint

I asked the same question on messenger to them as it doesn't make sense but havent had a reply

3rd one done.
    Matty had a very good run out alongside Franny.
    Really seemed lift Frans spirits.

Blimey that was close, just caught the end of the FB live stream of him leaving the Swim on his bike - the whole thing was nearly scuppered by the car park barrier arm coming down and wiping him out!!!

42. Default

43. Default

Last edited by trousers; 02-05-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post

Was a huge ask, he should be proud.

45. Default

Gutted for him

Hopefully he can pull through somehow, even if it's not looking likely right now, but if this is it, an utterly incredible effort to have done what he's already done.

46. Default

Bloody Hell. Superhuman effort.

The man is an absolute legend and an inspiration. I went and cycled alongside him for 5 minutes yesterday as he ran along Bristol harbourside. I left him and another saints fan took over. His team said it meant alot have people turn up and support him. Even 20 miles into the marathon on his 3rd Ironman in a row he was a total gentleman; took time to shake my hand and put up with my sh*t chat for 5 minutes as he ran along. If you are near his route then please go down and give him some encouragement; he thoroughly deserves it.

There must be a way to get him more publicity...and more money. 5s and 10s are great but surely there must be some Premier players who could manage 1,000 or more? He's still a long way off that 1m target but can you think of a more deserving cause of a more amazing man? His mental strength is incredible and deserving of every penny he raises. Having completed the Comrades Marathon back in 1984 I'm humbled by his achievement.

Is it over, I hope not however unsuprised I would be.. what he has already achieve is mind blowing