Benali's next big challenge

jawillwill

WHAT A (HUMAN) GUY!! Hopefully he gets to finish, but doubt anyone would begrudge him if he didn't.

Medically we have been forced to make the regrettable decision to retire Franny from his IronFran challenge today.

This decision has not been taken lightly but follows the recommendation of his sports therapist.

This morning Franny will receive further medical assessment from doctors in the hope that he will be able to return to complete his epic challenge tomorrow and return home to Southampton this weekend.

Franny has been fully involved in making this decision but is obviously hugely disappointed to not be back in the pool and on the road today.

This is not Fran quitting, this is a medical decision and his family and support team have decided they will continue IronFran on his behalf today – swimming, cycling and running for Franny.

We would urge everyone to continue to show their support and turn out and cheer the team on and help Franny get to his £1m goal for Cancer Research UK.

Please text Fran5 or Fran10 to 70200 to donate £5 or £10 or for any other amount visit http://ironfran.co.uk

Just seen the video on FB of him in bed being told he ain't being allowed out to play today, "shall I get in the Pool" is where it ends this is going to Piddle him right off!

edit

.......................His tracker has him down at the pool, no doubt in support but probably chomping on the bit to get going again.

Edited by John Boy Saint

I hope he doesnt feel like he's failed by having to miss out on Day 5 as nothing could be further from the truth.

His own health however is the most important thing and I hope for his sake he can complete the last two days, or the last one in Southampton at least.

the guy is a machine. Ive already donated more then I anticipated as each new video has left me in awe of the challenge he set himself and what he has already accomplished

all the best Franny, and I hope he recovers enough to get back on it tomorrow

Managed to cheer him in as he finished at Farnborough last night, Even though he was absolutely ****ed he still took time to thank every one for being there.

The bloke is a hero, even if he might be slightly mentally unstable for even attempting this !

As we all knew he would be - Franny is back on it today!!!

I'm going to try and stay behind tomorrow after my run to see him finish , they're expecting it to be around 9pm if anyone else is interested.

As we all knew he would be - Franny is back on it today!!!

His spirit is unquestionable, his resilience colossal.

People really need to absorb exactly what he's doing, what he's putting himself through, and then donate.

Total respect Franny - get him on the banner.

For those slightly confused as to where he is on a Sunday - just as I thought I heard right Franny IS running the Southampton Marathon - then doing the cycle out through the Forest etc. Makes sense.

Think someone might have called it on the first page with maps etc.

Everything you need for today and tomorrow is here

https://www.ironfran.co.uk/finale?fbclid=IwAR0Tjio3-PIms9jSAIVZtXcoX9AvOF0EqOMMBG3AI7Ptg9m61SXkTNzP6v0

Yeah terrible shame for him to be pulled out again. This challenge has been a step too far. Sadly, his age is now against him in terms of recovery.

He's as tough as nails and could easily do this challenge with the right amount of rest and recovery, but back to back on almost zero rest (I heard 4 hours sleep) is not enough.

Although he won't be doing this at sub-maximal performance he is still accumulating fatigue at a very high level.

Brilliant that his team are carrying on and I hope he can recover enough to complete the challenge tomorrow.

One tough bloke that's for sure.

Went to the Guildhall last night to see him arrive,

I think only Matt Le Tissier with an association with the club was there to welcome him home.

Shame really.

No Civic dignitaries either.

Franny really shows the Spirit of Southampton to the best degree.

I am not one to promote the distribution of honours but if anyone earns one it is definitely Franny!!

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/nomination-form-and-guidance-notes-uk-national-honour

Link above. Anyone can nominate someone for an honour. Not sure about the knighthood, but recognition is certainly warranted (MBE?). Think that this should come from the club

Might be better using the English version rather than the one from Northern Ireland, The NI executive would probably be surprised to receive nominations for Francis O'Benali.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nominate-someone-for-a-uk-national-honour (yes the forms are different, even if only the return address)