Benali's next big challenge

jawillwill

The man is a legend and a bloody fit bloke for 50. I've never done a triathlon but have run plenty of marathons so know this won't be easy.

Then there are c*nts like Beckham emailing people asking what he has to do to get a knighthood... Still irks me that one.

Good luck Franny, I shall donate to the cause once again.

The guy is incredible - it would be great if the dressing room could do something special for a guy who was once a leader in there..

Many footballers fade away after their careers, Franny has gone from strength-to-strength and demonstrated what a unique character he is.

Our tenners or twentys are great, but a senior pro probably wouldn't miss four or five grand - and that's the sort of support he deserves.

• 4 weeks later...
Does this guy ever stop? Deserves much more credit (and money!) than he gets!

https://planetradio.co.uk/wave-105/local/news/saints-legend-to-take-on-his-toughest-endurance-challenge-yet/

Thanks for telling us jawillwill! I didn't know about this. Have donatedas much as I can afford.

I agree that his efforts have been poorly supported especially by premier league players wbut he never gives up!!!

What a graet guy.

• 3 weeks later...

It took me 15 hours to do one ironman in one day so unless he is pacing, 18 hours day 1 seems high. The key to his success would likely be recovery and 4 hours sleep would seem inadequate. Seriously impressed if he manages 2 let alone 3 in a row..totally agree with all the plaudits he receives above.

I did the London Marathon yeesterday & am absolutley broken!!

To do what Franny is doing beggers belief?!

I raise my hat to you Warsash.

I have to say that I thought Franny looked better than I feared he might in the video on FB when he finished............his biggest concern seems to be the issues he was having with the food for energy he had been experiencing, which isn't the best.

I did the London Marathon yeesterday & am absolutley broken!!

To do what Franny is doing beggers belief?!

You didn't happen to be wearing a Saints shirt while doing the Marathon did you Warsash? Saw a chap around the half way mark and made sure I shouted out in support!

I was there supporting a friend, massively inspiring being there. Although seeing the pain on people's faces during and after did make me question the chances of me doing it one day. Well done though.

Hopefully Franny will be able to keep going today.

Day two completed. Had to do a lap of the hotel to complete the exact distance required for a marathon.

Looks In reasonable shape. Stopped to shake hands with all the well wishers and staff members before off for the ice bath.

Bloody incredible bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many idea what his last day route is and which Waterside are you referring too?

His final marathon route takes him to Beaulieu, Hill Top, Holbury, Exbury, Lepe, Calshot etc. Well according to this anyway...

https://www.ironfran.co.uk/packages/bbr2/themes/bbr2/pdf/ironfran-key-locations.pdf

Although I'm not sure how this ties in with the Southampton Marathon? It's a bit confusing.

Edited by LGTL

You didn't happen to be wearing a Saints shirt while doing the Marathon did you Warsash? Saw a chap around the half way mark and made sure I shouted out in support!

I was there supporting a friend, massively inspiring being there. Although seeing the pain on people's faces during and after did make me question the chances of me doing it one day. Well done though.

Hopefully Franny will be able to keep going today.

No did not run n a Saints shirt - my missus saw him as well & cheered him on. Might do the Great South Run, so a Saints shirt might be worn for that :)

His final marathon route takes him to Beaulieu, Hill Top, Holbury, Exbury, Lepe, Calshot etc. Well according to this anyway...

https://www.ironfran.co.uk/packages/bbr2/themes/bbr2/pdf/ironfran-key-locations.pdf

Although I'm not sure how this ties in with the Southampton Marathon? It's a bit confusing.

According to that he's cycling the marathon route, and running the marathon distance in the areas you mentioned.

I'm surprised that the running is the last leg of the 3 events. Is swim/cycle/run the set order for iron-man?. I'd have thought leaving the cycling leg to last would be easiest* as it at least should offer opportunities for a bit of free-wheeling now and again when the tiredness really sets in.

*I use the word "easiest" with tongue in cheek. Absolutely nothing easy about any of what he's doing.

According to that he's cycling the marathon route, and running the marathon distance in the areas you mentioned.

I'm surprised that the running is the last leg of the 3 events. Is swim/cycle/run the set order for iron-man?. I'd have thought leaving the cycling leg to last would be easiest* as it at least should offer opportunities for a bit of free-wheeling now and again when the tiredness really sets in.

*I use the word "easiest" with tongue in cheek. Absolutely nothing easy about any of what he's doing.

Ian man is an elongated triathlon and that's the normal order. From my point of view I'd want to do a bit of freewheeling after a 2.4m swim, not that I would ever consider doing one. Crazy.

Great Video posted in the last hour of Matty running with his old mucker Franny - looks like its put some special petrol in his tank.

If you ain't coughed up - forget " I'll have one more pint" and get texting FRAN5 to 70200 ..............pretty much the price of a pint

I asked the same question on messenger to them as it doesn't make sense but havent had a reply

The man is an absolute legend and an inspiration. I went and cycled alongside him for 5 minutes yesterday as he ran along Bristol harbourside. I left him and another saints fan took over. His team said it meant alot have people turn up and support him. Even 20 miles into the marathon on his 3rd Ironman in a row he was a total gentleman; took time to shake my hand and put up with my sh*t chat for 5 minutes as he ran along. If you are near his route then please go down and give him some encouragement; he thoroughly deserves it.

There must be a way to get him more publicity...and more money. £5s and £10s are great but surely there must be some Premier players who could manage £1,000 or more? He's still a long way off that £1m target but can you think of a more deserving cause of a more amazing man? His mental strength is incredible and deserving of every penny he raises. Having completed the Comrades Marathon back in 1984 I'm humbled by his achievement.

Latest tweet says he's still going no?

Incredible feat of human endurance. You lose on average 1.5cm of height caused by spine shortening due to compression during a marathon. Crazy stuff he's putting his body through.

Edited by jasonb