Why don't Saints attack the Northam in the second half ?

Kingsland Red

Watching Dortmund attack "The Wall' in the second half and hearing mention of Liverpool attacking the Kop, makes me wonder why Saints concede attacking the Northam and allow the away fans to suck the ball into the net.

Since we moved to St Marys too many away teams celebrate a late goal in front of their own fans.

Watching Dortmund attack "The Wall' in the second half and hearing mention of Liverpool attacking the Kop, makes me wonder why Saints concede attacking the Northam and allow the away fans to suck the ball into the net.

Since we moved to St Marys too many away teams celebrate a late goal in front of their own fans.

I’ve always wondered that too. Perhaps we’re so unlucky at home we always lose the toss and the opposing team always decides to take the advantage?!? LOL. On a serious note, the question sits alongside the “let’s move the away fans to somewhere else in the ground” issue. Put ‘em in the Kingsland-Northam corner and cut their support in half.

I have wondered this myself over the last 2 and a half seasons that we have been UTTER ****E at home.

Why the morons have not given this a go, god only knows. It could make a difference and likely make it tougher for the away side in the crucial 2nd half.

You would think someone would have the brains to assess every minute detail to improve our wretched home form.

Surely the Chapel is the "home" end? The team warm up down that end and come out and go down that end just before kick off. It makes sense that if we won the toss we would stay at that end and attack the "home" end during the second half.

The Chapel is about as far removed from The Yellow Wall as I could imagine to be honest.

I have wondered this myself over the last 2 and a half seasons that we have been UTTER ****E at home.

Why the morons have not given this a go, god only knows. It could make a difference and likely make it tougher for the away side in the crucial 2nd half.

You would think someone would have the brains to assess every minute detail to improve our wretched home form.

The club wants to move the away fans. The players would love to have a proper home end at St Mary's. The problem is our potentially noisiest fans decided to split into 2 small groups which are now hidden away in the corners of the away end.

Pretty much always been the way even at the Dell - play towards the water Second half.

St Mary’s points the same way as the Dell did more or less. Second half was always played towards the Milton Road end, I guess when the move was made playing the same way was the easy choice.

It is for the away fans. One of the best away ends in the league.

This. Away fans rule at SMS.

The Chapel is about as far removed from The Yellow Wall as I could imagine to be honest.

Ain't that the truth. Take out the sets, pews would be far more appropriate for 'The Chapel'.

When we first moved into St Mary's the Chapel was touted as the big new 'Home End' but it never happened but attacking that end second half does have an advantage in the summer months as the low sun is a problem for keepers early down the Northam. Just routine now but maybe they should change that routine, it couldn't get much worse than recent times.

The noisy home fans want to be near the away fans part of the noise is caused by the errr... banter ( I use the term lightly) between the two sets of fans. That couldn't happen if the all noisy home fans moved to the chapel end so it want happen.

If you move the away fans I bet most of the Northem/ Itchen crowd would just move seats to be closer to the away fans so they could continue making amusing hand gestures, point out the away day ladies with STDs, or stare manfully at the away fans for 90mins.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Edited by doddisalegend

I must have ranted about this so many times on here, but it has really been driven home during the last three years and so often leaving the ground with the baying twots next to me giving it large, especially after seeing some Krap player celebrating with them in the last few minutes....Cardiff anyone? When I first had my season ticket as St Marys with my daughter in the corner of the Chapel and Itchen I would look across the Chapel and marvel at the noise coming from it...whatever happened to that?? Sure, many like me migrated to the Northam for various reasons, but we werent the loud ones up there initially..

I honestly believe if we kicked toward the Northam second half it would make a huge difference .

Maybe they lose the toss and don't get a choice..? (not sure if they do choose what end to attack anymore - do on a Sunday morning still :) )

Whoever wins the toss has choice of ends (and will kick off the second half). I believe that most teams have a gentleman's agreement that the home team's preferred direction is chosen even if the away team wins the toss. Occasionally this will be ignored if the away team think that there is an advantage due to the position of the sun or something.

I think that the problem is the positioning of the away fans which I thought was due to the lack of segregation down below stairs on the concourse but I think that could be easily fixed.

How many people get arrested at SMS very few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like most weeks someone is dragged out of the Itchen north by stewards and or old bill for a talking to amd usually an away fan or two as well. Whether they arrest a lot of people or not they are going to want the facilities for dealing with trouble makers in the area of the ground where trouble is most likely.

I think it just highlights that there is probably a lot more involved in trying to move away fans around the ground then just making them sit elsewhere.

Edited by doddisalegend

How many people get arrested at SMS very few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averages out about 1 a game. Sometimes it's none, rarely more than 3 unless it's kicked off in the stand for some reason.

Mostly people are ejected rather than nicked. Arrest figures would also include those outside the stadium.

Again, it would be easier to move the "hardcore" support down to the Chapel end and create our version of the "yellow wall".

But most of our fans are so blinkered they can't seem to see that this is the easiest outcome.

It really wouldn't be easier to organise moving that many season ticket seats to the other end - whilst convincing people who have sat there possibly for almost 20 years to move - than to just switch which end we kick towards.

The teams were initially gathered in the traditional ends so Spurs must have one the toss.

I don’t remember the sun being out. All was grey and gloomy from my seat.

Showing through thin cloud. It was then covered by cloud not long after the start.

• 4 weeks later...

I notice that Spurs have the largest seated end in the league with astand of 17k.Imagine if they have turned that into a home kop, it will be intimidating. I expect if we did the same most of our fans would still be want stand next to the away fans.

The noisy home fans want to be near the away fans part of the noise is caused by the errr... banter ( I use the term lightly) between the two sets of fans. That couldn't happen if the all noisy home fans moved to the chapel end so it want happen.

If you move the away fans I bet most of the Northem/ Itchen crowd would just move seats to be closer to the away fans so they could continue making amusing hand gestures, point out the away day ladies with STDs, or stare manfully at the away fans for 90mins.

That makes sense stood in the Itchen, as you are able to face the opposition, in the Northam you can hardly see the away fans unless you're at the end of a row nearest the segregation. It's noticeable that if away fans want to taunt the home fans 90% of them do so towards the Itchen for the same reason, they can see them and hear them.

I've watched from most parts of the ground over the years and the acoustics are weird but if you are in the Chapel end on the Itchen side the away fans seem much louder than they ever do in the Northam (as they are directly facing you). By that very nature, if "the Northam" congregated in that corner the away fans would hear them more than they do now. It would probably make for an increase in "banter" noise, just less pathetic eyeballing across the safety net.