Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: Why don't Saints attack the Northam in the second half ?

  1. Default Why don't Saints attack the Northam in the second half ?

    Watching Dortmund attack "The Wall' in the second half and hearing mention of Liverpool attacking the Kop, makes me wonder why Saints concede attacking the Northam and allow the away fans to suck the ball into the net.
    Since we moved to St Marys too many away teams celebrate a late goal in front of their own fans.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the frontline in Locks Heath
    Posts
    6,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsland Red View Post
    Watching Dortmund attack "The Wall' in the second half and hearing mention of Liverpool attacking the Kop, makes me wonder why Saints concede attacking the Northam and allow the away fans to suck the ball into the net.
    Since we moved to St Marys too many away teams celebrate a late goal in front of their own fans.
    I’ve always wondered that too. Perhaps we’re so unlucky at home we always lose the toss and the opposing team always decides to take the advantage?!? LOL. On a serious note, the question sits alongside the “let’s move the away fans to somewhere else in the ground” issue. Put ‘em in the Kingsland-Northam corner and cut their support in half.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    It's almost too much of a simple solution, I've said it for years.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    I have wondered this myself over the last 2 and a half seasons that we have been UTTER ****E at home.

    Why the morons have not given this a go, god only knows. It could make a difference and likely make it tougher for the away side in the crucial 2nd half.

    You would think someone would have the brains to assess every minute detail to improve our wretched home form.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yeah, I've wondered this for many years now. We do like to make things harder for ourselves, though!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bitterne Park
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    This reared it’s head once before - really don’t think it makes a difference, in fac I’d probably say outback most memorable wins at St Mary’s involve attacking the Chapel in the second half.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bitterne Park
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Ignore the crazy spelling on my reply above - predictive text fail!!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Surely the Chapel is the "home" end? The team warm up down that end and come out and go down that end just before kick off. It makes sense that if we won the toss we would stay at that end and attack the "home" end during the second half.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Like the Northam end is anything special...

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manzo View Post
    Like the Northam end is anything special...

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    It is for the away fans. One of the best away ends in the league.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Fred View Post
    Surely the Chapel is the "home" end? The team warm up down that end and come out and go down that end just before kick off. It makes sense that if we won the toss we would stay at that end and attack the "home" end during the second half.
    The Chapel is about as far removed from The Yellow Wall as I could imagine to be honest.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doggface View Post
    I have wondered this myself over the last 2 and a half seasons that we have been UTTER ****E at home.

    Why the morons have not given this a go, god only knows. It could make a difference and likely make it tougher for the away side in the crucial 2nd half.

    You would think someone would have the brains to assess every minute detail to improve our wretched home form.
    The club wants to move the away fans. The players would love to have a proper home end at St Mary's. The problem is our potentially noisiest fans decided to split into 2 small groups which are now hidden away in the corners of the away end.

  13. #13

    Default

    Maybe they lose the toss and don't get a choice..? (not sure if they do choose what end to attack anymore - do on a Sunday morning still )

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,684

    Default

    Pretty much always been the way even at the Dell - play towards the water Second half.
    St Mary’s points the same way as the Dell did more or less. Second half was always played towards the Milton Road end, I guess when the move was made playing the same way was the easy choice.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    6,983

    Default

    Better to get a good start and get that end rocking first half than try to lift the fans after the restart imo

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    It is for the away fans. One of the best away ends in the league.
    This. Away fans rule at SMS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_lambden View Post
    The Chapel is about as far removed from The Yellow Wall as I could imagine to be honest.
    Ain't that the truth. Take out the sets, pews would be far more appropriate for 'The Chapel'.


    When we first moved into St Mary's the Chapel was touted as the big new 'Home End' but it never happened but attacking that end second half does have an advantage in the summer months as the low sun is a problem for keepers early down the Northam. Just routine now but maybe they should change that routine, it couldn't get much worse than recent times.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,944

    Default

    The noisy home fans want to be near the away fans part of the noise is caused by the errr... banter ( I use the term lightly) between the two sets of fans. That couldn't happen if the all noisy home fans moved to the chapel end so it want happen.

    If you move the away fans I bet most of the Northem/ Itchen crowd would just move seats to be closer to the away fans so they could continue making amusing hand gestures, point out the away day ladies with STDs, or stare manfully at the away fans for 90mins.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by doddisalegend; 06-03-2019 at 09:14 AM.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,171
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    https://southamptonfc.com/tickets/ma...e-should-i-sit

    THE CHAPEL STAND (Blocks 15-19)

    A relaxed environment close to where the players warm up pre-match. The team prefer to shoot towards the Chapel Stand in the second-half so keep an eye out for last minute goals!
    This is on our website... 'keep an eye out for last minute goals'

  19. #19

    Default

    Isn't the sun in the face of the away team in the 1st half, but it's set by the 2nd? But you don't have that issue if you start at the Chapel end

  20. Default

    St Mary's - Things people moan about

    -Food/Drink
    -Fan placement
    -Surroundings
    -Half time entertainment
    -Tannoy
    -Music
    -Big Screens

    Things that would resolve all of the above
    -Performances

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfp1 View Post
    St Mary's - Things people moan about

    -Food/Drink
    -Fan placement
    -Surroundings
    -Half time entertainment
    -Tannoy
    -Music
    -Big Screens

    Things that would resolve all of the above
    -Performances
    Can I add flames and light shows


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Fan placement and which end we kick towards can have an impact on results I believe. Archers was a similar situation.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Romsey.
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    I must have ranted about this so many times on here, but it has really been driven home during the last three years and so often leaving the ground with the baying twots next to me giving it large, especially after seeing some Krap player celebrating with them in the last few minutes....Cardiff anyone? When I first had my season ticket as St Marys with my daughter in the corner of the Chapel and Itchen I would look across the Chapel and marvel at the noise coming from it...whatever happened to that?? Sure, many like me migrated to the Northam for various reasons, but we werent the loud ones up there initially..
    I honestly believe if we kicked toward the Northam second half it would make a huge difference .

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Maybe they lose the toss and don't get a choice..? (not sure if they do choose what end to attack anymore - do on a Sunday morning still )
    Whoever wins the toss has choice of ends (and will kick off the second half). I believe that most teams have a gentleman's agreement that the home team's preferred direction is chosen even if the away team wins the toss. Occasionally this will be ignored if the away team think that there is an advantage due to the position of the sun or something.

    I think that the problem is the positioning of the away fans which I thought was due to the lack of segregation down below stairs on the concourse but I think that could be easily fixed.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Marbella drunk again
    Posts
    615

    Default

    There is a logistical reason .

    The police control room is in the itchen corner looking over the away fans
    The police cells which are in the ground are in the opposite corner .

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliemiller View Post
    There is a logistical reason .

    The police control room is in the itchen corner looking over the away fans
    The police cells which are in the ground are in the opposite corner .
    How many people get arrested at SMS very few


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    How many people get arrested at SMS very few


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seems like most weeks someone is dragged out of the Itchen north by stewards and or old bill for a talking to amd usually an away fan or two as well. Whether they arrest a lot of people or not they are going to want the facilities for dealing with trouble makers in the area of the ground where trouble is most likely.

    I think it just highlights that there is probably a lot more involved in trying to move away fans around the ground then just making them sit elsewhere.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by doddisalegend; 07-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.

  28. #28

    Default

    The King Power stadium is very similar,how do Leicester runs things ?

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    How many people get arrested at SMS very few


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Averages out about 1 a game. Sometimes it's none, rarely more than 3 unless it's kicked off in the stand for some reason.

    Mostly people are ejected rather than nicked. Arrest figures would also include those outside the stadium.

  30. Default

    Ah , maybe we will, starting today !

  31. #31

    Default

    Again, it would be easier to move the "hardcore" support down to the Chapel end and create our version of the "yellow wall".

    But most of our fans are so blinkered they can't seem to see that this is the easiest outcome.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Worked today!

  33. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    Again, it would be easier to move the "hardcore" support down to the Chapel end and create our version of the "yellow wall".

    But most of our fans are so blinkered they can't seem to see that this is the easiest outcome.
    It really wouldn't be easier to organise moving that many season ticket seats to the other end - whilst convincing people who have sat there possibly for almost 20 years to move - than to just switch which end we kick towards.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    It’s a complete no brainer as I’ve said for years.

  35. Default

    Let’s try it again Saints !

  36. #36

    Default

    I think Lloris won the toss and played towards the Northam because the sun was out over the Chapel end.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    I think Lloris won the toss and played towards the Northam because the sun was out over the Chapel end.
    The teams were initially gathered in the traditional ends so Spurs must have one the toss.

    I don’t remember the sun being out. All was grey and gloomy from my seat.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    I assume Lloris chose to switch because of the wind, only think I can think of.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,062

    Default

    Maybe they felt score early, game over, so attacking their fans from the off may have seen the game put to bed by halftime. That worked well

  40. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    The teams were initially gathered in the traditional ends so Spurs must have one the toss.

    I don’t remember the sun being out. All was grey and gloomy from my seat.
    Showing through thin cloud. It was then covered by cloud not long after the start.

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Oppo kicking towards their noisy fans 2nd half, not a fan...

  42. #42

    Default

    I notice that Spurs have the largest seated end in the league with astand of 17k.Imagine if they have turned that into a home kop, it will be intimidating. I expect if we did the same most of our fans would still be want stand next to the away fans.

  43. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doggface View Post
    Oppo kicking towards their noisy fans 2nd half, not a fan...
    Iím with you on that.

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    The noisy home fans want to be near the away fans part of the noise is caused by the errr... banter ( I use the term lightly) between the two sets of fans. That couldn't happen if the all noisy home fans moved to the chapel end so it want happen.

    If you move the away fans I bet most of the Northem/ Itchen crowd would just move seats to be closer to the away fans so they could continue making amusing hand gestures, point out the away day ladies with STDs, or stare manfully at the away fans for 90mins.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    That makes sense stood in the Itchen, as you are able to face the opposition, in the Northam you can hardly see the away fans unless you're at the end of a row nearest the segregation. It's noticeable that if away fans want to taunt the home fans 90% of them do so towards the Itchen for the same reason, they can see them and hear them.

    I've watched from most parts of the ground over the years and the acoustics are weird but if you are in the Chapel end on the Itchen side the away fans seem much louder than they ever do in the Northam (as they are directly facing you). By that very nature, if "the Northam" congregated in that corner the away fans would hear them more than they do now. It would probably make for an increase in "banter" noise, just less pathetic eyeballing across the safety net.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •