Potential New Sponsors Thread

Master Bates

Just take the one that is the most lucrative.

We need to compete, no point in taking the company with the most morals who then end up subsidising away fans at Saint Marys

To be honest, I have a moral issue with betting companies being plastered all over football shirts; it can be addictive for some and it can a real issue - I know people who lives were ruined by betting. But aside from that, betting sponsor logos always look cheap.

Would love a retro sponsor like Draper Tools again, on a decent retro shirt - 80s.

Virgin Media’s idea to subsidise away fans had to be one of the dumbest things i’ve ever seen a company do. Surely we can get a tonne of money from someone who won’t be as stupid as that.

I wouldn't have thought it was particularly dumb for the company. Probably came out of Virgin's advertising budget, would have been seen as a goodwill gesture by many and, no doubt, gone down well with those that took advantage of it.

SFC still effectively sold away tickets (probably more as they were cheap for visiting fans, so the club are happy) for £30, the £10 reduction was covered by Virgin outside of money they were putting into the club. They also subsidised a 2 or 3 away games for Saints fans (although SFC f**ked up by usually taking reduced allocation), anything Virgin has done hasn't been detrimental to SFC than maybe getting away fans a bit more excited with cheap tickets.

We've had some good exposure through Virgin featuring on a number of their adverts.

How much extra money would a betting company give us? Probably far less than we've wasted on pointless transfers the past couple of seasons.

I thought Goa had multiple sponsorship deals lined up with Chinese businesses looking to increase their exposure overseas?

Who knows, you'd like to think there is a point for him being here, and to give something back to the club.

Personally don't want to see us with betting companies on our shirts, but money talks and if it's twice as much then you've got to give it a real thought.

To be honest, I have a moral issue with betting companies being plastered all over football shirts; it can be addictive for some and it can a real issue - I know people who lives were ruined by betting. But aside from that, betting sponsor logos always look cheap.

Would love a retro sponsor like Draper Tools again, on a decent retro shirt - 80s.

How about Gordon’s gin or say fosters or maybe doombar

sorry meant to post Red Bull as a possible sponsor - not that they are carbon neutral, vegan or non-profit

but a link with RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg wouldn't be a bad thing

Don't think RB go in for 'links' , only full ownership.

Agree even though I like a bet myself. All marketed as lads having fun but clearly they make fortunes out of the vulnerable and are desperate to attract people in. Imagine a kid watching HT TV ads - probably 90% are saying come and gamble your money.

What about Happy Hot Tubs?

Fully agree with this - it's a real problem for society. I'm not anti-betting by the way - but TV and radio are saturated with betting ads - even at 7 in the morning.. it's just that I interpreted Saints statement that they are not keen to bring in a betting sponsor except as a last resort.

I think Virgin Media have been a pretty good sponsor and would be more than happy to have them again.

Agree with this too - I'd happily have them again

I really think Virgin have been pretty decent sponsors tbh.

I'd agree, we've had national coverage in their adds and tbh, they're probably entitled to feel a little hard done by with Saints form over their sponsorship period. When they 'signed up' it was with a club on the up, getting excellent positive coverage and the prospect of their logo going around Europe on our shirts.

From the day they arrived (other than Wembley) it's been all down hill and a shocking product on view.

Had we been safe by now Virgin may very well have renewed the sponsorship but I can’t see them wanting to be associated with a club outside of the Premier League particularly as rivals SKY would be seen as PL and Virgin mere Championship level. The club can't wait too long for a decision as the new 2019-2020 kit must be about to go into production so a sponsor would need to be finalised soon.

And who knows what Virgin think of our ‘new’ owner and the ambition of the club appears to have changed, it was Krueger who came out with the bombshell that we were now a “small club” after previously trumpeting our path to glory whilst conquering the US! Whatever happened to that?

Bit off topic but thought I'd have a search and saw this

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/02/04/how-southamptons-innovative-plan-to-break-into-us-market-will-work/ "Saints could be the Premier League team of the U.S. fan" :scared:

Maybe this got lost down the back of the sofa with the 5 Pledges.

Are the 5 pledges still on Ralphs desk, they have been sat there for an awful long time so maybe nobody has been able to translate them yet.

Bit off topic but thought I'd have a search and saw this

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/02/04/how-southamptons-innovative-plan-to-break-into-us-market-will-work/ "Saints could be the Premier League team of the U.S. fan" :scared:

Maybe this got lost down the back of the sofa with the 5 Pledges.

We always were and always will be a small club. You must know that surely?

We always were and always will be a small club. You must know that surely?

Compared to who? I'm well aware what we are.

The top 6, Newcastle, Leeds and a few others? Yeah, compared to them, (like probably the other 70-odd league clubs) of course we are.

But we're a decent 'middle-sized' club, about mid-tale PL sized. 'Small' clubs struggle to pull in crowds in double figures in my world, a club that can regularly get attendances in the 20-thousands in the third division, up to 30,000, is not a 'small' club.

How about Ineos who have their Head Office in Lyndhurst and are owned by Jim Ratcliffe one of the countrys richest men.

It’s now in London. Was offered before Liebherr.

Interested in Chelsea now although massive Utd fan.

Edited by whelk

It’s now in London. Was offered before Liebherr.

Interested in Chelsea now although massive Utd fan.

I remember the links but don't know if anything more than just because he was a £30-billionaire geezer who was living fairly nearby in Beaulieu?

He's been in the news in recent days as moving from Chelsea to Monaco to save around £4bn in tax! From Lancs originally.

I remember the links but don't know if anything more than just because he was a £30-billionaire geezer who was living fairly nearby in Beaulieu?

He's been in the news in recent days as moving from Chelsea to Monaco to save around £4bn in tax! From Lancs originally.

That was my impression too.

I’m not really sure why there is a moral dilemma when we are owned by a bloke who failed the fit and proper person test, they then had to close a loophole so people like him couldn’t buy a club again. Still, don’t really have an issue with a gambling firms sponsoring us providing they are paying enough, some people will argue that people get addicted to gambling but if you’re going to do it name on the front of your teams shirt or not isn’t going to make much difference. In any case where do you draw the line? Should clubs stop selling beer in case there are any potential alcoholics there? Should they stop seeking burgers and pies because a high percentage of our fans are obese? (Yes they probably should to be fair to stop people stuffing their faces but they won’t) drunkenness and obesity ruin lives too but I don’t see any moral dilemma about selling alcohol and crap food.

Links were definitely true but he wasn’t interested then.

Now though he doesn’t know what to do with his money he has so much. America’s Cup and a Swiss team.