Boy, did we screw up over Tadic...

alpine_saint

Not really, firstly Ajax are way way way better than us so he has a lot of very good players around him, with a lot of energy and pace.

But also he was stale here for the last few years, nowhere near producing his best stuff, so clearly needed a whole change of scenery and club. Sometimes players are a good fit at certain clubs and not others, it happens, even with the big boys for example De Maria at Utd.

I'm sure if he was still here he would be contributing, but I doubt he'd be playing as well as he is with Ajax.

Not really, firstly Ajax are way way way better than us so he has a lot of very good players around him, with a lot of energy and pace.

But also he was stale here for the last few years, nowhere near producing his best stuff, so clearly needed a whole change of scenery and club. Sometimes players are a good fit at certain clubs and not others, it happens, even with the big boys for example De Maria at Utd.

I'm sure if he was still here he would be contributing, but I doubt he'd be playing as well as he is with Ajax.

Saved me some typing just because he is doing well some where else doesn't mean he would have replicated that form for us if he had stayed.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Got rid of our last decent playmaker over the summer, and now he's destroying Real Madrid...

That'll teach the buffoons in the Southampton FC boardroom to listen to the Saintsweb Forum intelligentsia.... https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?59622-We-need-to-do-something-radically-different-A-few-ideas&p=2613066#post2613066

0WDLPE737WO5Eg52CZ4fgJQUBdU7LMHUE4Y5g4Paja_SvHsk-BogzBEZTnRlIVzl9vdjj5AQNRHAwVEpZ5d3oYOUbAK5AATsEDGwRh6yRJWtQljy2x2FnITNINLCAcf-u6xfVEpUnmkgRGmGgVlf91k2zaXBk2KI5MePvdYvFhUZfEM3L0bIkZw7ekiO4j_EiUNbJyunH10ztuTBR6_1Whiv9sIkMkjzrwF3jmTMMOMvonPXztb21eiWw3ay1FX2w73IKM5K1iSc-yByULIuVbeZUEFYNme0NERDwZDrpwsz3x165z2mHSBmKAS0vXkugcwbh6AvCqHx-BkPCKx02eZJQdWtiJ_GrcsHSHInSurmithbJYhnUj7uagLAhGS1vxC9IjB4RWlKMqJmN2ZdnvMrYze70qVeLDRVO2NJp8joUBo3HQNOzdz7nkAIIyYaDN3nInwyOGOomdNvzKmeCr6VcReP2o1nf-V7PD83DsymM1vDFyUHJq08Fysc9-k_egfDlnarVD1hNoF7uj9X2Uy3UTaqYWWvGr-8zVOgJJDy5hCqu-MjMWLCGCLEwH_r9AL78VnrT6Wgz7xT6QKN8Gu43GvPgi3px5sKupGacjNOODNk5ChMvMmST7gIeoHTPFsOZFiaQL8vpCfy2OkBxi8Hg7B4ywgZ=w1838-h391-no

Edited by trousers

That'll teach the buffoons in the Southampton FC boardroom to listen to the Saintsweb Forum intelligentsia....

yAtyMzUqJOX1QzJXoIRi2T3RvE0Wpcom_2DtH9QIWWBJ3Glpg0yh8iUNkZ7hI39AkcVpVy4ME-zTyC3pp0aFElNzc5NtPFwsHd17y9akIFIXZ9C_sV4lxOlbvgN0zBBY4usFAn6d-K39cHu2iO4S1ausNBxQz2Mha-_KjYx63NCt0Co0LCuUh9g95yWHO2AgB_RdaHMq249CNtT0j3edjYosSwZ2VR8BzSDvWURz72WM3qAcQ6jQOQuIAQORS-ao_ba8xOzv86c0DxupRTaGo1n9QaxZuP68V8hipk2Nvk7VEb7Ft6r0mHsLuFdmYQxHXQz0mk7hrXPypVzZm7RDOq5-enihqeA8fiARKIxJ-ganrgNl346IsVLQTAhMr4OuDGw6rsrj5_KuKNDr_ir_AM8A9pbsaMUiSHcsnisV7eFtDFUa7OnvzN8PRb_fiSMpdRLAlfLzlmMshrI4gjTGdAXV8gH7Xxcx3cot-TjpL3osYh2z8Ng4tBO0mO14BqDQN-uTk8VIH5tYHw_bUX_k0K7ttETdATOH7zyPSL9HxAHc36iywcKU0ia44KzTUuiVFmlO7JeVfplRRr9qL_oCqeLJxDMdRTcXG2uYLdtJp31gZ06BRLP2wcSk3d29odF673a2Qw-JhFf7dsne-4eF_yPlUCmVpFI_=w1034-h220-no

You can probably bet half those whining ( here and in the defectors watch thread) about Tadic leaving were the same ones claiming he was crap when he was here....

Alpine Saint 31.03.2018

"Its time to consign Tadic, Boufal and Redmond to the SFC history book. Sims definitiely needs to be convinced he has a role next season in the Championship, or we'll lose him.

I would also play Yoshi before Stephens.

Next summer, get what we can for our "superstars" and rebuild, from the back, just like Pardew did.

I particularly dont want to see those three AMs in the 2018/2019 Saints kit."

Now look at what he is saying. ****ing idiot.

lol.

I mean personally I was one of the ones that was not really bothered about him going. Aside from the last 5-6 games at the end of season under Hughes he had been poor and ineffective for the last two years.

I also doubt he'd fit in with Ralfs playstyle, he's hardly that hard working.

Alpine Saint 31.03.2018

"Its time to consign Tadic, Boufal and Redmond to the SFC history book. Sims definitiely needs to be convinced he has a role next season in the Championship, or we'll lose him.

I would also play Yoshi before Stephens.

Next summer, get what we can for our "superstars" and rebuild, from the back, just like Pardew did.

I particularly dont want to see those three AMs in the 2018/2019 Saints kit."

Now look at what he is saying. ****ing idiot.

Really wish there was a function to append this to the opening post... Thanks for looking this up. I was sure they'd be a multitude of posts slating tadic from the op. The trolling (even if unintentional) on here is ridiculous and could really do with being clamped down on...

My view is I'm delighted to see Tadic perform so brilliantly last night. It was an iconic performance that he'll never better I suspect. He was a great (if inconsistent) servant for us who gave us 4 years. Perhaps we sold him for too little, but I'd rather sell quality players cheaply after 4 years than have scenarios like van **** which leaves a very sour taste.

Congrats Dusan!

It's pretty common knowledge that he wanted to go. I watched an interview of him, he wanted to go back to Ajax. He'd clearly been ground down of the expectation, having to play for naff managers in a team that used to be very good. Can't blame him at all. He gave us many years of good service, admittedly some inconsistent but probably more due to quality of players around him dropping.

If we had actually replaced him with someone with a shred of ability then we wouldn't be having this discussion; instead we got El Useless who we effectively spent 16m on a ghost.

Tadic was clearly frustrated under Puel and far from his best under MoPe too. As easy as it is to blame the managers, he needed a fresh start and so did we.

In theory, selling a 30 year old for £10-13m (depending on the add ons) and replacing him with a 24 year old for £16m is pretty decent business. People are only complaining because Moi has turned out to be useless, which has nothing to do with the Tadic deal.

As with everyone else we’ve sold, I have no problem with the price or the fact that we sold them. It’s the replacements (or in the case of Gabbi, Cédric and Fonte, the lack of replacement) which have been the problem.

I do love the irony of everyone being outraged that Gao apparently just wants to siphon money out of the club and now this. Are you all upset that Gao isn’t making enough money out of the Tadic deal? :lol:

Also, we’ve just sold Gabbi for basically the same price and everyone seemed pretty happy with it. He needs to move on, doesn’t really fit, we got him off the wage bill etc. No doubt if he gets a couple of goals against Barcelona in a year or two, everyone will be outraged that we sold a world class player so cheap.

Tadic was clearly frustrated under Puel and far from his best under MoPe too. As easy as it is to blame the managers, he needed a fresh start and so did we.

In theory, selling a 30 year old for £10-13m (depending on the add ons) and replacing him with a 24 year old for £16m is pretty decent business. People are only complaining because Moi has turned out to be useless, which has nothing to do with the Tadic deal.

As with everyone else we’ve sold, I have no problem with the price or the fact that we sold them. It’s the replacements (or in the case of Gabbi, Cédric and Fonte, the lack of replacement) which have been the problem.

I do love the irony of everyone being outraged that Gao apparently just wants to siphon money out of the club and now this. Are you all upset that Gao isn’t making enough money out of the Tadic deal? :lol:

Also, we’ve just sold Gabbi for basically the same price and everyone seemed pretty happy with it. He needs to move on, doesn’t really fit, we got him off the wage bill etc. No doubt if he gets a couple of goals against Barcelona in a year or two, everyone will be outraged that we sold a world class player so cheap.

Tbf I can't remember anyone being overly happy with the price we let Tadic go for .

Tbf I can't remember anyone being overly happy with the price we let Tadic go for .

That was actually the point was trying to make, but hey ho, it doesn't stop the sad f**kers that trawl back looking for historical posts. Like they've never changed their minds on anything

:lol: :lol: :lol:

First of all, yes, he was stunning last night and by all accounts has been playing at that level for Ajax.

He simply lost motivation in his final 18 months with us. We sold Pelle (not that we could turn down £12M) and we couldn't match the Chinese club's offer on wages. Others were sold. It's our modus operandi. Style of play became defensive and unexciting.

But we did raise an eyebrow at letting him go for £10M but we had agreed to sell him and he wanted Ajax, so we had a tough hand.

Great to see him doing so well. (sigh)

That was actually the point was trying to make, but hey ho, it doesn't stop the sad f**kers that trawl back looking for historical posts. Like they've never changed their minds on anything

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, you changed your mind then started a whole new thread moaning about what you originally agreed with.

It was the right time to let him move on, but we replaced him terribly.

Overall I really liked Tadic at Saints. Yes he was inconsistent but he was also extremely creative and a key part of the best Saints finish of my lifetime.

Seems like a good guy as well with a great attitude.

Pleased his move has worked out.

Really wish there was a function to append this to the opening post... Thanks for looking this up. I was sure they'd be a multitude of posts slating tadic from the op. The trolling (even if unintentional) on here is ridiculous and could really do with being clamped down on...

My view is I'm delighted to see Tadic perform so brilliantly last night. It was an iconic performance that he'll never better I suspect. He was a great (if inconsistent) servant for us who gave us 4 years. Perhaps we sold him for too little, but I'd rather sell quality players cheaply after 4 years than have scenarios like van **** which leaves a very sour taste.

Congrats Dusan!

Agree here, but we all know that the thread is a classic trolling attempt hence why i would assume most will ignore. The only thing that really surprises me is that Glasgow or Batman hadn't started it sooner.

Had we not conceded with the last kick of the season against Man City, the prize money for finishing above Huddersfield would have been more than anything extra we might have received for Tadic. It's small change really and wouldn't have made any difference to our transfers in.

To be fair to Alpine his old post did seem to indicate it was regarding the championship.

I was disappointed to see Tadic go but he wanted out(which says more about how backwards we've gone than anything) & he wanted to go to Ajax which stunted any chance of a bidding war for his services.

Can't see how keeping an unhappy player would have benefitted us. Just wish we'd used the money better rather than on Elyounessi.

Only thing that would bother me is if Ajax now sold him for massive sum.

Last year of contract, he gave us 4 years and wanted a dream move to play for titles and in the champions league we let him as otherwise he would leave for nothing this summer.

Are people so thick to realise this before posting

I am chuffed to bits for him and every other saints fan should be to.

Last year of contract, he gave us 4 years and wanted a dream move to play for titles and in the champions league we let him as otherwise he would leave for nothing this summer.

Pretty sure he signed a new 4 year deal in 2016, after Koeman departed.

Frustrating player for us at times but we were always better when he was in the side imo. Another player we have failed to replace properly.

For me watching Tadic last night was just another reminder of how we used to sign quality players , but don't anymore . The difference between what Tadic served up yesterday and what Elyounoussi has produced this season is the sorry story of the last few years !

I have on a couple of occasions in post match reports bemoaned the loss of Tadic's creativity and opined that Elyounoussi wasn't a credible replacement for him.

Well done for going against the tide and not siding with all of us who are championing Elyounoussi

For 4 years Tadic was our most creative player and yet he was regularly chastised on this website !

The ‘never satisfied’ mob were all out to slag him off for the slightest of reasons so it’s a bit rich to now claim that we sold him cheaply !

Personally I think it’s a major factor why we are in the relegation zone !!

For 4 years Tadic was our most creative player and yet he was regularly chastised on this website !

The ‘never satisfied’ mob were all out to slag him off for the slightest of reasons so it’s a bit rich to now claim that we sold him cheaply !

That theory slightly falls down on two things

a. We aren't in the relegation zone [emoji6]

b. he was here last season and we where still crap...

He was regularly sh1t but clearly a great talent on his day.

The negative slags on here will moan about a player when here, moan after we sold him that we should have kept him, moan that he went too cheap, moan if we keep him that we should have sold a discontented player, moan that we should stand up and make a stance and not sell player. Moan that we should show ambition like every other club who never sell their players...ever.

Picking up the trend?

I

He was regularly sh1t but clearly a great talent on his day.

The negative slags on here will moan about a player when here, moan after we sold him that we should have kept him, moan that he went too cheap, moan if we keep him that we should have sold a discontented player, moan that we should stand up and make a stance and not sell player. Moan that we should show ambition like every other club who never sell their players...ever.

Picking up the trend?

He was a playmaker who put in defence splitting final balls when he had players of the quality of Mane and Pelle you saw how good he was replace them with the likes of Austin and Long of course he looked **** as they were not on the same wave length

This is the reason he wanted to go he saw the regular deterriortion in our side as we sold good player after good player and replaced them with much worsel

You only have to compare our teams that finished top ten with those over the last 2 to 3 years

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Tadic with six goals in this years champions league has scored more than

Messi

Dzeko

Neymar

Griezman

Benzema

Kane

Bale

Fekir

Silva

Sane

Aquerro

Mbappe

Only Robert Lewnandowski has more

Never mind Tadics 4 assist which puts him joint top of that list too!

Selling him for 10m is a worse mistake than buying Carrillo Hoedt El Younissi and Boufal combined!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Tadic with six goals in this years champions league has scored more than

Messi

Dzeko

Neymar

Griezman

Benzema

Kane

Bale

Fekir

Silva

Sane

Aquerro

Mbappe

Only Robert Lewnandowski has more

Never mind Tadics 4 assist which puts him joint top of that list too!

Selling him for 10m is a worse mistake than buying Carrillo Hoedt El Younissi and Boufal combined!

He wanted out!! Tadic would NOT have been this good for Saints this season.

If we had progressed after Koeman and not hired Puel, things could be much different right now.

I read Tadic's reasons why he wanted out somewhere recently...it was very fair...basically, the team had changed completely from the one under Koeman that was competitive...we had sold most of our best players and not replaced them. That must be very frustrating for a playmaker that likes/needs high calibre players around him. He saw the writing on the wall and wanted out before his sell-by date expired. I think he was also tired of the physicality of the Premier League and referees not protecting flair players from the 'enforcers' (I still think this is a major fault with the PL...I'm all for a physical game but we lose the creative players to injury and end up watching thug un-footballing stoppers instead). Nobody with any sense would deny Tadic made the right move. I reckon there was a gentleman's agreement to let him go to Ajax if he stayed on for that last relegation-threatened season with the clown. For once the club did the honourable thing and saw it through. He gave us two years of great service and two years adequate service. We should be happy for him.

He wanted out!! Tadic would NOT have been this good for Saints this season.

If we had progressed after Koeman and not hired Puel, things could be much different right now.

Don't think the fact we sold him is the point being made here is it. i think it's the small transfer fee for a player of his ability, compounded by the poor recruitment for his replacment that people are unhappy about.

We all knew that his race was run here, in his own mind certainly, although i personally would have been happy if he had stayed.

Don't think the fact we sold him is the point being made here is it. i think it's the small transfer fee for a player of his ability, compounded by the poor recruitment for his replacment that people are unhappy about.

We all knew that his race was run here, in his own mind certainly, although i personally would have been happy if he had stayed.

He wanted to go back to the Netherlands though so while we could have got a better fee had he gone to another PL club ( which he didn't want to do) going to the Eredivisie is another matter. Tadic is the fifth most expensive signing in that leagues history. Given that Tadic had his heart set on Ajax and no where else the fee was always going to be limited.

We screwed up over Tadic did we? How? He comes to the club and says he has done 4 years now, is tired of it (not least Xmas fixtures) and wants to go back to Netherlands. What are we supposed to do, cage him so he can't escape and wheel him out on match days?

This explains the fee.

Yeah this thread is nonsense. He wanted to go, he was in the last of his contract and his form was very on and off for us. This move has done him the world of good. In an ideal world we would have kept him and he would have played at his best for us every week but that's unfortunately just fantasy.

I for one am happy for him to play well for Ajax as he was a great servant for Southampton.