Boy, did we screw up over Tadic...

alpine_saint

First of all, yes, he was stunning last night and by all accounts has been playing at that level for Ajax.

He simply lost motivation in his final 18 months with us. We sold Pelle (not that we could turn down £12M) and we couldn't match the Chinese club's offer on wages. Others were sold. It's our modus operandi. Style of play became defensive and unexciting.

But we did raise an eyebrow at letting him go for £10M but we had agreed to sell him and he wanted Ajax, so we had a tough hand.

Great to see him doing so well. (sigh)

He said in a recent interview that he was sick of having lumps kicked out of him in the Premiership which was why he turned down offers from other Premiership clubs.

• 3 weeks later...
No one ever seems to consider that perhaps a player needed a move to find their form again.

Tadic definitely wasn't suited to negative football under Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes so don't blame him for wanting out. Overall great for us because of his time under Koeman but he wasn't able to cope with the physical side of it very well. Nice to see him doing well elsewhere though.

That and his best form came when he had Pelle and Mane looking for his passes/crosses. Must have got disheartening to look up and see Charlie trotting around, and feeding Long and him missing the ball/goal.

Showing his penalty prowess yet again, puts Serbia in front against Portugal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

His penalty prowess ? One of our least convincing penalty takers, yes he scored a few but there was never any confidence. Serbia don't rate him either really:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.sportbible.com/football/funny-fails-dusan-tadic-misses-penalty-by-miles-after-ridiculous-run-up-20181014.amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwjO66_gh6DhAhVCVRUIHWp0AZ4QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3j_i2vEbbtp6tKLc7TylHN&ampcf=1

I really cant bemoan a player who has hit 30 and wants to achieve something in his final years as a professional. He is likely to win domestic silverware and get a few regular years in the Champion League - something Saints could not give him.

Keep on like he is and in a few years he can do a nice retirement season(s) in the US, China or India.

No one ever seems to consider that perhaps a player needed a move to find their form again.

Tadic definitely wasn't suited to negative football under Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes so don't blame him for wanting out. Overall great for us because of his time under Koeman but he wasn't able to cope with the physical side of it very well. Nice to see him doing well elsewhere though.

Actually a lot of people have considered that. Only in the mysterious world of alpine and a handful of others have we sold a player who would have scored 20 goals for Saints this season.

Some people have said the same about Jay Rod and (bizarrely) Juanmi in recent years.

That and his best form came when he had Pelle and Mane looking for his passes/crosses. Must have got disheartening to look up and see Charlie trotting around, and feeding Long and him missing the ball/goal.

There’s something in this as he also briefly picked up when signed Gabi. Gabi was making great runs and taking first time shots. Tadic really seemed on a wavelength with him. Then Gabi did his groin at Spurs and by the time he came back Puel had abandoned the spell of exciting football either side of the EFL Final (and during it) and we were back dour mode. After that it was Pellegrino - hard for anyone creative to stay excited.

• 8 months later...

Presumably VVD will be in the top 27 too (and maybe Mane too?, not been following the series).

Being that we were watching 2 or 3 of the top 30 'world players' at SMS only recently can the current crop be forgiven a little performance anxiety when playing at home?

Presumably VVD will be in the top 27 too (and maybe Mane too?, not been following the series).

Being that we were watching 2 or 3 of the top 30 'world players' at SMS only recently can the current crop be forgiven a little performance anxiety when playing at home?

No 2 and 3 respectively. Gareth Bale doesn’t seem to make the list......!

Mane and VvD number 2 and 3. Indeed, hardly surprising that our current crop aren't quite reaching the same heights.

No. Nothing previous teams have achieved is any excuse for the hopeless garbage we’ve had this season.

Not really, firstly Ajax are way way way better than us so he has a lot of very good players around him, with a lot of energy and pace.

But also he was stale here for the last few years, nowhere near producing his best stuff, so clearly needed a whole change of scenery and club. Sometimes players are a good fit at certain clubs and not others, it happens, even with the big boys for example De Maria at Utd.

I'm sure if he was still here he would be contributing, but I doubt he'd be playing as well as he is with Ajax.

Ditto this.

Also he wanted to leave and could have left before he diid.

• 1 month later...
Would love to see him there, but seems an odd move if true because he's a bit like a rubbish Messi.

No he's not rubbish, just compared to Messi. But a left footed creative forward who drifts wide and deep.

Shame he had to leave but I doubt he'd have found that form here, he said he didn't love the premier league in the end. But be interesting to see what Ralph got out of him.

I'm pretty sure Ajax mostly play Tadic as a centre forward. Barca mostly play Messi from the right.

We always knew Tadic was a very talented player, but he was often ineffective during games and would look uninspired and wasn't really performing for us regularly. You could say we missed out by not getting the best out of him. It's interesting that we have another player now, Lemina, who we also know is very talented, but also looked uninspired and just wasn't delivering enough on the pitch. You could argue that he never had the record of having played well for us as often as Tadic did, but does anyone think there are similarities between the two situations? Could we let Lemina make a permanent move, only to see his reputation soar at another club, leaving us to start a thread about how we screwed up over Tadic?

Personally I think that of course we should let Lemina go, but I think we were right to let Tadic move on too. We didn't screw up, he just needed the move to find his way again.

I like Tadic. He wanted to play more cultured football than the EPL hooligans allowed. I'll bet there are plenty of talented ball players like him around Europe who wouldn't dream of coming to play here for the same reason. Sod the money it's not everything. Best league in the world ? More like beastliest league in the world.

He was dire for about two years, clearly his heart was not in and he was not enjoying his football despite his talent and has found a new home in Holland that has reinvigorated him, though I imagine playing against league 1 level defences most games helps with the confidence and goal scoring.

It was not a mistake to sell him because he was never going to capture that form here, probably not ever in the PL.

I remember plenty of people here being prepared to drive him to the airport when the rumours about him leaving started. Excellent player and good luck to him in the future.
He was an excellent player, everyone agreed on that. However, we all saw that he hadn't been excellent for us for quite some time before being sold. Should we have just held onto a player who wasn't playing well, so that we could stop him playing well for someone else? Should we hold onto Lemina, just because we know he has it in him to be an excellent player?