Saints v Spurs - Match Thread

St Chalet

Pretty embarrassing half really. Lucky to still be within sight of Spurs.

It has been hard to watch - Spurs outclassing us. Ralph has to try something different....4 at the back, Armstrong, even Sims on to try and put them under some pressure. Saints look like a poor Championship side today and Spurs look like a Champions League outfit.

I'd take Vestergaard off for Armstrong, 4 at the back, romeu and hojberg sit, JWP behind Austin with Armstrong left and Redmond right.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Certainly need something very different. Hodj not really been playing well for a while and should be replaced however Armstrong is not good enough yet for this level.

Back four needs to be a serious consideration....

Edited by captainchris

We need to come out 100mph 2nd half straight away to get anything, in their faces etc. Too easy atm for Spurs.

If I was Ralph I'd keep them out there with the fitness trainer, sprint exercises and WGS character running. Strikers, Redmond and JWP (the only outfield players who have vaguely tried or worked hard IMO) can work on hold ups and finishing with the subs supplying them.

The players would just have to deal with it and a bit of flak from the fans would build resilience and personality. There's a gap to the next game so it won't hurt them.

If I was Ralph I'd keep them out there with the fitness trainer, sprint exercises and WGS character running. Strikers, Redmond and JWP (the only outfield players who have vaguely tried or worked hard IMO) can work on hold ups and finishing with the subs supplying them.

The players would just have to deal with it and a bit of flak from the fans would build resilience and personality. There's a gap to the next game so it won't hurt them.

hahahahahaha... :mcinnes:

We need to come out 100mph 2nd half straight away to get anything, in their faces etc. Too easy atm for Spurs.

The commentator mentioned that. When they have the ball we don't close them down or try and tackle them. Soon as we get the ball there are two players in our players face forcing a mistake.

We have shown them far too much respect and playing ultra defensive football is great if you can keep them out. But from the first minute that never looked the case. We need bodies forwards. Austin was a LB at one point....

That was a 1-0 massacre. Genuinely one of the worst defensive displays I've ever seen - Spurs had 4 on 3 counters all half long. It wasn't men against boys, more like men against headless chickens.

It's extraordinary that we've got two holding midfielder, but neither of them are within 40 yards of the defence in transition.

We didn't press, we didn't hustle, we didn't put Spurs under any pressure at all - we looked appalling.

Tactically, technically, individually and collectively it's been a horror show. Yet we're only a goal down. With any other team you might think that's cause for optimism, but I can't see any way we can come back. We can't even complete three passes in a row.

Where's the energy? I mean, Jesus, give us something...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

If this game were FM, switch mode to "Very Rigid" under "Standard" and set the following touchline instructions:

Hit early crosses

More direct passing

Standard backline

Run at defence

Much higher tempo.

I'd also unclick:

Get stuck in.

Wouldn't it be great if life were that simple :(

Edited by Instant Classic

Bit of a mauling that, so to get in at 0-1 is something of a 'blessing'. As others have mentioned, despicable level of effort from PEH for their goal. Think I'd rather have Armstrong/Long/Sims attacking with Redmond, i.e. some form of combination that can counter/relieve pressure (by retaining possession in their half).

To frank it is BS that we are a pressing closing down team. Most games we do not do that at all !!!!

We haven't got the personale to be a full fledged pressing team. We do it more so than under than last three managers but that's no great achievement.

To frank it is BS that we are a pressing closing down team. Most games we do not do that at all !!!!

You clearly dont watch properly, RH choses which games to be heavy pressing in and this isnt one of them

as when we have they move the ball so well at speed and we get left behind..