• Romeu
    • PEH
    • JWP
    • Austin
    • Redmond
    • Sims
    • Long
    • Armstrong

People are saying they should have had two red cards. The foul on Sims was one - what was the other? Was it the little skirmish between Redmond and Sissoko? I didn't see that properly as I was a bit distracted.

I think the first was when Armstrong (?) was through the centre and got tripped, the second was Sissoko aiming his head at Redmond.

This.

Crucial win. And remaining fixtures favor Saints

Cardiff's remaining 8 fixtures are brutal (Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man U)

Burnley's remaining 9 fixtures included (Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal)

Southampton (only one Top 6 club in remaining 8 fixtures, Liverpool at home)

Three more wins will do.

Sims is a great fit for Ralph's style and I'm really glad he's had a chance to show it.

Excellent half time adjustments transformed the team. Valery's doing a better job defensively and finding the knack of popping up in the right place up front, and JWP's goal was stunning - again.

Without the two denied penalties last week we could have picked up 6 points from Man U and Spurs.

How that tw*t Lee Mason is given a whistle every week I'll never know. Two early bookings to make key tacklers nervous, no free klck for Vertongen's high boot, and no red card for Sissoko's head butt - both right in front of him.

I missed the first half. I assume the match thread will make amusing reading courtesy of the usual suspects...? ;)

Great win. COYR!!!

Classic ‘meltdownery’ - all the usual ‘we’re going down’, ‘not fit to wear the shirt’ type of nonsense !

TBF, it’s mostly followed by ‘I’m glad to have been proved wrong’ !

Footy websites, eh :)

People are saying they should have had two red cards. The foul on Sims was one - what was the other? Was it the little skirmish between Redmond and Sissoko? I didn't see that properly as I was a bit distracted.

There was a pull-back on Armstrong when he was clean through and awaiting a pass. Sissoko headbutt after the skirmish with Redmond.

Great performance second half. Deserved win. Armstrong the difference I think. They should have been down to 9 men. Kevin Friend has never, ever, ever been our friend. Possibly the worst referee in football, and that's an accolade that is extremely difficult to obtain.

Well done lads. Big shout out to Valery and JWP for the goals and Vestegaard for an incredible intercepting header in injury time. Oh, Bednarek continues to be player of the season for me and Yoshi also continues to be the solid central defender Stephens isn't. Well done Ralph!

A great win and much needed seeing as West Ham didn't turn up at Cardiff.

This.

Excellent points.

Sims is a great fit for Ralph's style and I'm really glad he's had a chance to show it.

Excellent half time adjustments transformed the team. Valery's doing a better job defensively and finding the knack of popping up in the right place up front, and JWP's goal was stunning - again.

Without the two denied penalties last week we could have picked up 6 points from Man U and Spurs.

How that tw*t Lee Mason is given a whistle every week I'll never know. Two early bookings to make key tacklers nervous, no free klck for Vertongen's high boot, and no red card for Sissoko's head butt - both right in front of him.

That 'tw.t' Lee Mason was Kevin enemy !

The one flaw in Poch's management is that his players put TOO much energy into the first half, then pay a price. That happened repeatedly when he was w us. Spurs were unbelievable first half, closing us down with alarming pace and ferocity, then blitzing forward. Hass's injection of pace at half-time was the perfect counter-strategy, right when they were tiring. We shocked them. so...very...happy...to Sims back. Love watching him play. With him, JWP 2019 and Valery, who needs transfers?! (kidding)

The excitement's back!

The absurdity was that Redmond and Sissoko both got yellows. Sissoko ran his studs down Redmond's ankle, Redmond got up and nudged/lightly pushed him from behind. Sissoko turned round, properly shoved him and then threw a head butt (not sure if there was contact).

I'm not so precious that I think that sort of thing should be a sending off (even if the rules probably say it should), but to book both of them was ludicrous.

When the ball fell to Sissoko in the dying minutes I was convinced he was going to score, just to rub it in.

The other 'red card' was a foul on Armstrong, not Sims, unless you are referring to another one?

Edited by mrfahaji

Last week we had a crap Ref and lost because of his bias. Today we have one of the most anti Saints Ref and won. Up yours Lawro and Co. it's about time you opened your eyes and admitted that the PL Refereeing isabysmal.

COYS

Edited by hasper57saint
Letter omitted

Foul was on Armstrong. Other one was 'little skirmish' between Redmond and Sissoko when the latter forcibly thrust his nut into the former. Second definitely a sending off, first kinda marginal.

For years when jwp was over free kicks there was much hype little end product. Now he looks a weapon. On top of that he’s got a good aggressiveness now. Surely an England cap awaits. Turning down watford in the summer looks wise now.

Sims, makes you wonder why he couldn’t buy a game at reading or since he’s been back.

Also amusing how getting rid of long sparked our goals. That header of his at start of second half was atrocious.

2 red cards that should have been given and would have been given if the players in question weren’t from teams in the top 4.

It's funny how the improvement in his all round game has coincided with him stepping up from the set piece "nearly man". In fact you could say he used to be a 'nearly man' in every way, but you don't suddenly improve at free kick technique over a few weeks.

Akin to how the best player on the pitch often pops up with a goal and then makes everyone wonder if the MOTM award was simply on the back of scoring (looking at you, Garth), perhaps the added confidence or aggression he has brought into his game lately has somehow seeped into his set pieces as well and made the marginal difference!

Ralph would have them mid table over a full season.

Think on current points per game over a whole season we'd have about 51 - 52 points. Which would have been enough for 8th last year.

This.

They also play each other, Cardiff go to Burnley so someone is dropping points that day.

We really need to make sure we pick up a couple of wins or more in the next 4 or 5 because Cardiffs next 4 is Chelsea H, Man City A, Burnley A, and Liverpool H, so they should in theory lose all 4 of those or maybe at best get 3 points away to Burnley, so we could like 8 points plus ahead of them by then.

The one flaw in Poch's management is that his players put TOO much energy into the first half, then pay a price. That happened repeatedly when he was w us. Spurs were unbelievable first half, closing us down with alarming pace and ferocity, then blitzing forward. Hass's injection of pace at half-time was the perfect counter-strategy, right when they were tiring. We shocked them. so...very...happy...to Sims back. Love watching him play. With him, JWP 2019 and Valery, who needs transfers?! (kidding)

The excitement's back!

I would not say that necessarily, if Spurs had taken some of their chances we could have been dead and buried, they deserved more than 1 in the 1st half. However, credit Ralph for the positive substitutions and in the end we got the rub of the green!

Great result but Redmond’s finishing is a disgrace.

Until this season he wasn't opening defences up much - constantly opting to circle back, but he's doing it regularly now.

The next level for him is finding a moment of composure after he's created the opportunity.

If he can do that he'll be a 10-15 goal man.

The absurdity was that Redmond and Sissoko both got yellows. Sissoko ran his studs down Redmond's ankle, Redmond got up and nudged.lightly pushed him from behind. Sissoko turned round, properly shoved him and then threw a head butt (not sure if there was contact).

I'm not so precious that I think that sort of thing should be a sending off (even if the rules probably say it should), but to book both of them was ludicrous.

When the ball fell to Sissoko in the dying minutes I was convinced he was going to score, just to rub it in.

The other 'red card' was a foul on Armstrong, not Sims, unless you are referring to another one?

Yes, it was Armstrong, not Sims.

They do look kinda similar though.

Yep, Sissoko shoves his forehead into Redmonds face and pushes him back with it. Clear as day a red, i've seen red cards given for subtler movements.

Stupid of Redmond not to go down. Friend would have had little choice.

When our first goal went in I was praying we could hold out for a point, which would probably have been a fairer result if we're being honest with ourselves. Cardiff winning would have made the table stressful to look at again.

Thank f*ck we got the rub of the green for once.

I would not say that necessarily, if Spurs had taken some of their chances we could have been dead and buried, they deserved more than 1 in the 1st half. However, credit Ralph for the positive substitutions and in the end we got the rub of the green!

Game changing substitutions from Ralph: that injection of pace and energy. I've only seen Sims play 3 times over the past 2 or 3 years, and each time he has been very good: why doesn't he play more?? As for Ralph: what a manager he is looking. The vast improvement in the play of Bednarek, Ward-Prowse, Valery, and indeed Redmond coincides with Ralph being in charge: no coincidence. His willingness to give players a chance -- above-mentioned Bednarek and Valery, as well as Targett, Slattery, Gunn, and now Sims-- has also contributed to making us look a much stronger side. Ruthlessly moving out expensive players who just weren't doing the job, but hogging playing time as we lost games (Hoedt & co. no need to name them all). Everything he has done so far has looked good. Only blot is the loss to Cardiff, but wins against Arsenal and Spurs make up for that. I'm finally optimistic about Saints again for the first time since Puel's early games.

What could be sweeter than us beating our old manager with somebody who essentially has the same philosophy of playing with the high press? Spurs were riding high in the table with an expensively constructed team full of England and international stars, and two if not three players in devastating scoring form. On paper they could have completely overrun us, but in much the same way that we gave Manchester United a real run for their money last week, we are once more proving to be a team that makes up in effort for a lack of star players and are capable on the day of being a match for anybody. And just like the Manchester United match, we scored goals from our right back, Valery, and from a superb Ward-Prowse free kick. But this time we came back from a goal down and went ahead and saw the game out for a vital three points, made more vital by the teams around us winning too.

This was the archetypal game of two halves. We were really poor in the first half and Spurs were winning the midfield balls and dominating the game. Our defence held firm under duress, and Spurs fluffed several chances to score. Inevitably though, Kane would find the opportunity to punish us when given too much space in the box. Saints though are not a team which lies down and gives up any more, and the half time whistle gave Hasenhuttl the opportunity to make the changes tactically and via substitution to attempt to turn the match around.

Sims started to change the momentum in our favour from the moment he came on. Like Redmond he is small and nippy, a problem for defenders when he runs at them with the ball at his feet. Noticeably, we also played Bertrand and Valery out wider than we had done in the first half, opening up space in the midfield and during virtually all of the second half we were the dominant team. Austin had been substituted for Long, who then went off injured, bringing on Armstrong. Romeu had also gone off, walking a tightrope from a yellow early in the match for a stupid pull back on a Spurs player. On the face of it, we were weaker in midfield without Romeu, but Armstrong has been good, strong and mobile of late, carrying more of a forward threat. A feature of several games under Hassenhuttl has been that despite appearing to be short of depth in several areas, he has faith in the players who have been ignored or discarded by his predecessors. The latest recruit today was Sims, who given the opportunity has grasped it with both hands.

The refereeing from Keith Friend was diabolical as usual. This isn't the first time that he has got the bird from all sections of the crowd for his incompetence. As usual, far more went the way of the glory team, but thankfully it didn't count against us in the end.

https://hoofoot.com/?match=Southampton_2_-_1_Tottenham_2019_03_09

These highlights show us to be lucky as Spurs threw away gilt chances to score, but the final score tells the real story that matters. The atmosphere during the second half was the best this season in my opinion, aided by thicko Spurs fans singing our song and lifting our players. Hasenhuttl did a lap of honour to applaud the fans at the final whistle.