• PEH
    • JWP
    • Austin
    • Redmond
    • Sims
    • Long
    • Armstrong

What happened?

Aguero knocked it on to Sterling and it ended up in the net. Linesman flagged because Sterling was clearly offside. Ref went over and talked to linesman then gave the goal.

The goal was given because a defender got a toe on the ball before Sterling scored. He was at full stretch, trying to stop the ball getting to Sterling, who was half a yard away. To say he played Sterling onside is ridiculous and, frankly, suspicious.

Didn't have the tiniest inclination to go today, then a friend said they had a spare ticket and I was pretty much bullied into it. Funny old game.

First half we were absolute dog sh*t. I'd give Austin 2/10. 1 point for each time he touched the ball. The supply to him was poor but wow, we were static. Their defenders probably wanted another jumper on, so little work they had.

Second half, what a difference. I don't think we really started to look good until Armstrong replaced Long but Spurs just never showed up.

I don't rate Sims but I'll give him credit for a very good second half performance.

Friend... What can I say, looked like 2 reds to me, for the headbutt and the foul on Armstrong. How Sissoko and Romeu are equally worthy of a yellow I have no idea.

Cardiff must be sick. Those were their winnable games and they're still 2 points and GD behind us.

Really enjoyed that. Classic case of when you are on top you have to score more than once and fortunately Spurs didn’t in a miserable first half for Saint. Great credit to Ralph for both tactical and personnel changes and second half was a real pleasure. Last year under Pellegrino we were consistently out foxed by opposing managers who changed games. Now Ralph frequently improves us tactically as games progress.

Special mention to the three centre backs who were given minimal protection first half and had a torrid time, but were immense late on in defending the lead for their lives. Bednarek in particular outstanding second half.

We've become a nasty niggly little side whose game plan is to intimidate and unsettle the opposition by getting in their faces from the start. Great isn't it!

Spurs seemed to have only the long ball over the top as their main plan and it didn't work. Our three CBs must have sorely strained neck muscles to night but by and large didi a job on Deli Alli and Harry Kane.

I don't agree with Ward Drowse as MotM but there you go, Hoj as usual led from the front throughout and avoided going in the book - definite improvement!

Wow :D

That was actually the first time I’ve been in the stadium to see a win over Spurs!

I don’t know what was said to them at half time but it must have been something Henry V would have been proud of.

One nice benefit of coming back to win that, we can point out how monumentally **** Kevin Friend was without being accused of sour grapes.

This.

Crucial win. And remaining fixtures favor Saints

Cardiff's remaining 8 fixtures are brutal (Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man U)

Burnley's remaining 9 fixtures included (Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal)

Southampton (only one Top 6 club in remaining 8 fixtures, Liverpool at home)

After today I look forward to depriving Liverpool.

This was shaping up to be one of those absolutely awful Saturdays where everyone else won and we lost. Cardiff, Brighton and Newcastle were not supposed to win but they all did.

This was a fantastic win for us. We really needed it. We suffered the depths and the pinnacle today but nobody is doing us any favours and we are still in a real dogfight.

Many pluses today, particularly Sims showing RH what he can do. Could be a great impact player for the run in.

That feeling when we turned it around. Remarkable.

The game against Brighton is huge now. Need to deck Glenn Murray in the first 5 and then dominate.

The next 21 days are going to dragggggg.

Isn’t Murray suspended? Picked up his fifth card earlier today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said to the wife about 20 mins before half time that if we managed to get through the 1st period we’d have a chance.. amazing whAt some pace can do and Sims added it. In fact Sims did more in 45 mins that elynoussi has done all season.

Crazy celebrations when that free kick went in and at the end of the match.

Sky have Sims as MOTM. They also wondered what Southgate might have thought of players' prospects of playing for England from the performances today. Danny Rose gets black marks for allowing Valery to score and being lucky not to have seen red from his tackle on Armstrong on the edge of the box. I have never rated Rose over Bertrand, and surely he is only preferred because he plays for Spurs. Ward-Prowse has brought forward his claim for a place in the England squad, but Sky thought that would be a surprise. However, out of nowhere and in view largely of his performance today, Sims is considered by Sky to be a future England prospect.

That reminded of the game we came back to beat Liverpool 3-2

useless, terrible in the first half. Brilliant in the 2nd

how they never got a player sent off is beyond me. No wonder we are getting VAR, the refs are consistently getting big calls wrong. More worryingly, in decisions that should not need a video replay.

great result and JwP MoM for me.

Can't believe I am agreeing with the vampire bird-man, but that was the best atmosphere St. Mary's has seen since that comeback against the Pool.

Think on current points per game over a whole season we'd have about 51 - 52 points. Which would have been enough for 8th last year.

They also play each other, Cardiff go to Burnley so someone is dropping points that day.

We really need to make sure we pick up a couple of wins or more in the next 4 or 5 because Cardiffs next 4 is Chelsea H, Man City A, Burnley A, and Liverpool H, so they should in theory lose all 4 of those or maybe at best get 3 points away to Burnley, so we could like 8 points plus ahead of them by then.

I think 40 points will be needed this season.

What a great comeback win over a top 6 side. Well done to Hasenhüttl for making the necessary adjustments at half time. It was clever to bring Romeu off considering he was on a yellow and the injection of pace helped. What a great free kick by JWP.

Too bad that West Ham lost to Cardiff but at least we’re pulling Burnley back into the deep stuff.

Once again the refereeing has really wound me up. Friend should not be referring football matches. You could be forgiven for thinking there’s some kind of conspiracy favouring the top 6 sides...

- Kane scores in the first half while just offside. Reminded me a little of Lukaku’s offside goal last weekend - it was a tight call to make but he was still off.

- Vertongen kicks Sims in the face just inside the penalty area. The defender’s boot was shoulder height when it connected with Sim’s head.

- Walker-Peters trips Armstrong off the ball as he’s about to go in on goal, with the ball played in perfectly for him in the penalty area. No red card.

- Sissoko headbutts Redmond. No red card.

What a disgraceful officiating performance. Spurs should have been down to 9 men at the end.

well as I missed most of first half due to being in the first aid , I can say I only saw a Saints 2 nil win , happy days despite dad now having a rather large bump on his head,

ps thanks to everyone that stopped to help or enquired on the way to the ground.

well as I missed most of first half due to being in the first aid , I can say I only saw a Saints 2 nil win , happy days despite dad now having a rather large bump on his head,

ps thanks to everyone that stopped to help or enquired on the way to the ground.

Poor dad. What happened?

JWP probably doesn't score the free kick if the ref had marked the initial contact spot. We basically took the free kick from where Armstrong landed not where the foul happened.

We actually gained about 10 yards :lol:

What a great comeback win over a top 6 side. Well done to Hasenhüttl for making the necessary adjustments at half time. It was clever to bring Romeu off considering he was on a yellow and the injection of pace helped. What a great free kick by JWP.

Too bad that West Ham lost to Cardiff but at least we’re pulling Burnley back into the deep stuff.

Once again the refereeing has really wound me up. Friend should not be referring football matches. You could be forgiven for thinking there’s some kind of conspiracy favouring the top 6 sides...

- Kane scores in the first half while just offside. Reminded me a little of Lukaku’s offside goal last weekend - it was a tight call to make but he was still off.

- Vertongen kicks Sims in the face just inside the penalty area. The defender’s boot was shoulder height when it connected with Sim’s head.

- Walker-Peters trips Armstrong off the ball as he’s about to go in on goal, with the ball played in perfectly for him in the penalty area. No red card.

- Sissoko headbutts Redmond. No red card.

What a disgraceful officiating performance. Spurs should have been down to 9 men at the end.

Kane looked very offside at the time from where were sat (block 5), not that the linesman was up with play anyway

Were we that bad in the first half?!?!? Phil Thompson (sky report) thinks we were dreadful and rabbits in headlights. Taking into account we were playing against 12...I don't think so....also my neutral friend that was with me didn't think we were doing too bad in the first half. Playing high trying to pressurise them we are bound to leave gaps for teams to knock the ball into.

Were we that bad in the first half?!?!? Phil Thompson (sky report) thinks we were dreadful and rabbits in headlights. Taking into account we were playing against 12...I don't think so....also my neutral friend that was with me didn't think we were doing too bad in the first half. Playing high trying to pressurise them we are bound to leave gaps for teams to knock the ball into.

We were awful. Spurs played well in the first 45 but we helped them a lot, we were a calamity.

Amazingly, if you take Ralph's 14 games in charge (I exclude Cardiff away as he had not worked with the team) we have taken 21 points. Average 1.5pts per game so, in theory, had he been here at the start of the season and achieved that average, after 30 matches, we'd now be on 45 points and sitting in 7th spot. Food for thought and quite an achievement given the squad we have. Hats off to you Ralph.

Amazingly, if you take Ralph's 14 games in charge (I exclude Cardiff away as he had not worked with the team) we have taken 21 points. Average 1.5pts per game so, in theory, had he been here at the start of the season and achieved that average, after 30 matches, we'd now be on 45 points and sitting in 7th spot. Food for thought and quite an achievement given the squad we have. Hats off to you Ralph.

I like this.

Get yourself two decent centre backs and two good attacking players then we can certainly push further up the league.

I missed the first half. I assume the match thread will make amusing reading courtesy of the usual suspects...? ;)

Great win. COYR!!!

Hilarious. The usual suspects really getting into their stride with ever increasing criticism of anyone and everything coupled with categorical statements that we're obviously down. Replace the whole team. Sack the board and Ralph. We're doomed to seasons in the wilderness.

Then Ralph makes inspired changes, wakes the team up, JWP and Valery score (as is now the norm). We win against a top six team. Again.

Usual suspects vanish (well. most of them). Not even much effort to put it down to luck and Spurs playing badly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Enjoyed that. Wasn't expecting anything from the game and expected West Ham to roll over too, so really valuable 3 points to keep us out of the drop zone over the short close season. Kevin Friend really played his part for Spurs today - gave them nearly everything they appealed for and nearly all the 50/50's and denied us stonewallers. The Sims kick in the head was a red card and a penalty, the the Armstrong trip was a red too. Other way around I have no doubt we would have been down to 9. Just wanted to focus on the Dickwad of a ref as usually its just seems an excuse for losing - but we won. And so I am sticking it to the ref anyway. Great free kick from Prowsey. Watching Friends shoulders drop was priceless.

I missed the first half. I assume the match thread will make amusing reading courtesy of the usual suspects...? ;)

Great win. COYR!!!

One of my jobs used to be stopping people committing suicide. But that was easy compared with this because they only tried to do it one at a time.

When Redmond spurned those 2 chances I was in full muttering under my breath/rant mode. “C’mon Saints, just this once smash in a couple and get us an unexpected victory vs a top 6 team, throw us a bone ffs”.

Have to say I went ****ing ballistic at the goals and final whistle. Great feeling, would like that more often.

At 1-1 my son said, “imagine he scores this free kick”.

“Haha, chance would be a fine thing”

After a few minutes of raucous celebration my son just said “yep”. Lol.

Get in!!