• Romeu
    • PEH
    • JWP
    • Austin
    • Redmond
    • Sims
    • Long
    • Armstrong

Unbelievable win and huge given Cardiff’s result. We’re only 7 points behind Everton which is remarkable given their spending and having the wonder manager Silva in charge. Would be great to see them get dragged further into the **** but can’t see it.

Thought Yoshida and Vestegaard we’re both excellent and suspect at the same time. Some really good defending and some shocking decision making and lack of pace show why we can’t stick with them if we want to progress.

Austin and Long are done. Redmond, sims and Armstrong will do for me.

Hope we can keep this momentum up, finish we’ll, bank some prize money and spend it on recruits!

Amazingly, if you take Ralph's 14 games in charge (I exclude Cardiff away as he had not worked with the team) we have taken 21 points. Average 1.5pts per game so, in theory, had he been here at the start of the season and achieved that average, after 30 matches, we'd now be on 45 points and sitting in 7th spot. Food for thought and quite an achievement given the squad we have. Hats off to you Ralph.

Also, 6 of those games have been top 6 sides - so 2 more difficult games than you might expect in a run of 14. (And we’ve taken 7points from those 6 games - so even our form against the top six is good enough to stay up!)

we can thank the referee for letting JWP take his free kick about 10m closer to the goal than where the foul was !

Very true. There's surprisingly little muttering about this on the Fighting Cock. And it wasn't mentioned on MoTD

Despite being awful in the first half the important thing was not let a second goal in.

The half time substitutions made a significant difference with three players with pace up front and second half performance just about deserved a win

This despite an awful reffereeing performance, I thought last week was bad but this was far worse remember Friend being just as biased against us when we played Liverpool a few years ago

One of the most satisfying things from yesterday was Valery scoring a goal all thanks to Rose not seeing him sneak up behind him letting the ball roll through his legs and Valery pop it over the keeper into the net. Amazingly as a fat fan in the stands I was aware of Danny Roses Oscar winning performances in close combat, but I had no idea just how B movie standard they were in the flesh, even more so that the officials bought into them by the carrier bag full. Ball goes out off Rose in close proximity to Valery suddenly Rose has donkey kicked his legs out tripping g on a blade of grass, and is down holding his face, free kick spurs, minutes later Yan breathes on Rose, Rose stumbles to the floor Valery booked. Valery out of his face for much of the afternoon having learned his lesson from Leicester. So after getting Romeu booked again for a fall worthy of an award, Not to mention the sly swing he had at Yoshida defending a corner.

To see Devine retribution delivered on him at St Mary’s by Yan Valery was very satisfying.

Showed great heart and got a huge 3 points, just need to keep our heads, play like we've played over the last 2 games and we should be OK.

A win at Brighton would IMO get us close to safety. Can't see Cardiff getting much more than 6 points from the remainder of their fixtures.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd be sick, total implosion from them but they've always been mentally weak for as long as I can remember. Laughable defending for our first.

One of my jobs used to be stopping people committing suicide. But that was easy compared with this because they only tried to do it one at a time.

You used to be a Samaritan? :scared: I am assuming that they sacked you. Judging from your posts on here, I can't believe that you had the attributes the job required.

Great result, knew before hand we would win. Same old Tottenham, bottling it in the league, and poch with a touchline ban and probably a move to Madrid in the summer. Staying up and ending Liverpool's title chances would be my dream end to the season.

We really dodged a bullet in the first half - one of those games where a second goal (and they could have had four or five) would have buried us. Vestergaard had a shocker as they were able to slide simple balls behind him time and time again. That said, on the odd occasion he went to the middle of the three, he was beaten in the air.

At the other end, Austin was abysmal - for a fat f**k, his hold up play is nonexistent. It spoke to our bankruptcy of ideas that we resorted to clipping balls down the channels for JWP to chase while our midfield lacked its usual bite after Romeu picked up an early yellow.

Second half was a completely different story. RH’s system relies more than anything on pace (and we’ve lacked genuine pace since Mané left). Having three mobile players up top made all the difference (in the same way it did when Obafemi came on against Arsenal). It also exposed Spurs flanks which was a weakness due to injury and the narrowness of their diamond. Sims was a revelation not just his movement but his decision-making and weight of pass. Long also made an underappreciated contribution while his replacement Armstrong made a number of clever late runs that repeatedly confused Sanchez.

It’s clear what RH wants to do longer term - for now it’s a case of cutting the coat to suit the cloth but hopefully he’s backed in the summer and can bring in players that truly fit his style of play.

Long did well, stretched Spurs and put in two great balls which created both Redmond’s chances that he should’ve done better with. He’s had a tough season but he helped begin the swing of momentum along with Sims yesterday, and Armstrong carried it on when he replaced him.

Ward Prowse made his Prem. debut (2012) in a team managed by Nigel Adkins. After which Pochettino used his talents sparingly. as did Koeman during his time.

Successive managers have been obsessed with playing big money signings hoping they would find form, whilst many in the U23/U18s played on year after year in despair.

Hughes ignored Prowsie and it's taken a manager like Ralph to utilise his talents properly. Those people who have criticised him forget he is only just 24 - and upwards of 200 appearances.

if we sign someone that age this summer, people will say ..." he's a good young prospect".

Hughes obviously wasn't bothered with the younger players either and let McQueen, Reed, Hesketh and Sims go out on loan without a second thought, and it's cost us dearly when not alternatives to use.

Josh Sims has impressed on many occasions he's played for U18/U23's and looks like an new player under Ralph's new regime. Expect to see him featured (if not starting) for the rest of the season, and he could become .."the NEW Shane Long" next season, hopefully with a few more goals.

THIS GAME will go down in list of "legendary games" that people always like to quote - if only because it was the day we dumped "arrogant Spurs" (Pochettino's words) .. after they took us to the cleaners in the first half and couldn't finish the job in the second half.

Those expecting JWP to turn up in an England shirt next week, shouldn't hold their breath as even Gareth Southgate has his favourites - and with luck we might see Prowsie get 10 mins as a late sub in a game that England have already comfortably won.

Ward Prowse made his Prem. debut (2012) in a team managed by Nigel Adkins. After which Pochettino used his talents sparingly. as did Koeman during his time.

Successive managers have been obsessed with playing big money signings hoping they would find form, whilst many in the U23/U18s played on year after year in despair.

Hughes ignored Prowsie and it's taken a manager like Ralph to utilise his talents properly. Those people who have criticised him forget he is only just 24 - and upwards of 200 appearances.

if we sign someone that age this summer, people will say ..." he's a good young prospect".

Hughes obviously wasn't bothered with the younger players either and let McQueen, Reed, Hesketh and Sims go out on loan without a second thought, and it's cost us dearly when not alternatives to use.

Josh Sims has impressed on many occasions he's played for U18/U23's and looks like an new player under Ralph's new regime. Expect to see him featured (if not starting) for the rest of the season, and he could become .."the NEW Shane Long" next season, hopefully with a few more goals.

THIS GAME will go down in list of "legendary games" that people always like to quote - if only because it was the day we dumped "arrogant Spurs" (Pochettino's words) .. after they took us to the cleaners in the first half and couldn't finish the job in the second half.

Those expecting JWP to turn up in an England shirt next week, shouldn't hold their breath as even Gareth Southgate has his favourites - and with luck we might see Prowsie get 10 mins as a late sub in a game that England have already comfortably won.

Good to see you posting again David.

Hoping Sims builds on yesterday and lives up to the expectations we had of him after his debut. Personally I'd still like to see Gallagher given an opportunity, can he really be worse than Long, or the immobile Austin ? always thought his height and pace offers something different, and might suit the Ralph game, as for finishing, again can't be worse than Long.

I thought he got a lot of mins under Poch n RK..... 46 apps totalling 2 k mins under poch, a lot for a 16 - 17 year old.

Under RK he got 69 apps with near 4 k mins played, 3 goals 15 assists for a 17 - 20 year old.

After a demoralizing first half, where 0-3 wouldn't have flattered Spurs we were hoping for a little better in the 2nd, What we got was a complete transformation. The atmosphere was fantastic, Saints were utterly dominant as Spurs just disappeared from the game. Some might say we had a little luck here and there (how the ball reached Valery for his goal , through 3 defenders I'll never know, but it was a brilliant scuffed shot which fooled Loris), but to maintain the level we did against a top 4 side was hugely impressive. The referee was the usual PL star struck variety with very few decisions going our way but we kept going. Austin must be done now surely, I think Sims is ready to start games. Although ineffective out wide in the 1st half, JWP , with Armstrong, were a strong combative midfield in the 2nd. His free kick was awesome, I said to a mate I thought it looked too close but he managed to get it up and over, keeper no chance.

And we hung on for the last 10 minutes when Spurs woke up a bit. The reaction of the players at the final whistle said it all, and most of the fans stayed on to applaud them off the pitch. Great day, but we only moved up one place , and it's still all to do....

You're probably right but don't rule out Bertrand, Gunn & Redmond getting a call

You're probably right but don't rule out Bertrand, Gunn & Redmond getting a call

I Don't think Redmond will make it, his form has not been that great tbf, JWP and Gunn are the most likely to get called up and play the most mins, Redmond just fails to deliver to much to be in the England team ahead of well any other England forward who are scoring for fun and creating goals for fun atm, England cant even play all its top forwards as it is, defo no room for Redmond imho

Hilarious. The usual suspects really getting into their stride with ever increasing criticism of anyone and everything coupled with categorical statements that we're obviously down. Replace the whole team. Sack the board and Ralph. We're doomed to seasons in the wilderness.

Then Ralph makes inspired changes, wakes the team up, JWP and Valery score (as is now the norm). We win against a top six team. Again.

Usual suspects vanish (well. most of them). Not even much effort to put it down to luck and Spurs playing badly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes I noticed this as well.

Saw this linked elsewhere but worth a few minutes viewing after about 10:00

Why can't middle aged - or older - men see how ridiculous they look when they're yelling at other fans and making tossing gestures.

Yes this would apply to more than a few Saints fans as well.

Thought Sims did really well. Knew he was quick, but didn't realise he had such a deft touch. The first time pass in the build up to the second chance Redmond put into the side-netting was Tadic-esque, and there were a couple of other instances where his control and passing were a cut above what we've seen in attack most of the season.

A true game of two halves. First half was even worse than Cardiff, no pressing, no workrate. Romeu unlucky with the early booking but the 3 CBs got left 3 on 3 far too often. Second half miles better with some pace on, Sims should feature more now and stretched the game out. A lot of chances were created even before the goals - Redmond twice and Long missed two simple headers although Kane was equally profligate for them. Valery gets credit for being the to convert although what Rose was doing is anyone’s guess but not our problem. JWP is becoming mini MLT and coming up very big when needed.

CBs got some great blocks in at the end but Spurs were spent.

PEH much better after an atrocious first half, Redmond industrious throughout although not everything came off. Full backs more aggressive second half.

A word for Kevin Friend - cheat. The headbutt on Redmond by Sissoko - he is less than five yards away. Rose’s dive and booking Valery was a joke as well. Worst of all was Sims getting kicked in the head. Reminded me of one at WHL by Davies on Tadic that was definitely in the area, definitely a penalty and not given either. Still, not the only pathetic refereeing performance this weekend.

Shaw and Chilwell are England's left backs going forwards. If they're both fit, Bertrand won't be anywhere near the squad. Redmond has made big strides this season, but he's not getting in ahead of Sterling, Rashford or Sancho.

Gunn's got a chance. Mainly because there are only three English keepers starting PL games (assuming Ben Foster remains retired from internationals).

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Didn't have the tiniest inclination to go today, then a friend said they had a spare ticket and I was pretty much bullied into it. Funny old game.

First half we were absolute dog sh*t. I'd give Austin 2/10. 1 point for each time he touched the ball. The supply to him was poor but wow, we were static. Their defenders probably wanted another jumper on, so little work they had.

Second half, what a difference. I don't think we really started to look good until Armstrong replaced Long but Spurs just never showed up.

I don't rate Sims but I'll give him credit for a very good second half performance.

Friend... What can I say, looked like 2 reds to me, for the headbutt and the foul on Armstrong. How Sissoko and Romeu are equally worthy of a yellow I have no idea.

Cardiff must be sick. Those were their winnable games and they're still 2 points and GD behind us.

Out of interest, why don’t you rate Sims?

In the times I’ve seen him he’s probably impressed more than disappointed, albeit a small sample size.

Great result, knew before hand we would win. Same old Tottenham, bottling it in the league, and poch with a touchline ban and probably a move to Madrid in the summer. Staying up and ending Liverpool's title chances would be my dream end to the season.

That depends whether Real Madrid's U21 team will be looking for a manager then.

In the times I’ve seen him he’s probably impressed more than disappointed, albeit a small sample size.

Whenever I’ve see him previously he has always looked energetic but with little end product. Getting sent home early from Reading because he wasn’t getting into their squad is hardly a ringing endorsement either.

The assists against the 2 Scouse teams are the only moments of note I’ve actually seen but yesterday he seemed to have improved on that.

That depends whether Real Madrid's U21 team will be looking for a manager then.

Weirdly the correct team for Poch would be Barcelona with their ethos of bringing through the academy.

MoPo is a good manager but has technical flaws (over training and no plan B) which means he will never be an ‘elite’ manager.

Shaw and Chilwell are England's left backs going forwards. If they're both fit, Bertrand won't be anywhere near the squad. Redmond has made big strides this season, but he's not getting in ahead of Sterling, Rashford or Sancho.

Gunn's got a chance. Mainly because there are only three English keepers starting PL games (assuming Ben Foster remains retired from internationals).

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Based on today, Gunn is ahead of Heaton.

Goals aside, Sims (and the substitutions / change of formation by Ralp at half time) was everything about the stunning second half display. Right from the first minute, before Armstrong came on. He was involved in everything, making so much happening with his intelligent runs and passes. JWP is getting all the plaudits, and that's fine, it was a great strike, but Sims and to a lesser extent Armstrong were the real stars in the 2nd half. Sims has seldom shown these qualities before, apart from odd glimpses, don't know what Ralph has done but he was very impressive and very mature. Great performance, now the trick is doing it again (and again).

Saw this linked elsewhere but worth a few minutes viewing after about 10:00

best part about this was just after we make it 2-1 you hear someone behind them shout "and that's what i'm talking about, Hugo".

yeah, because world-cup winning Hugo Lloris is getting goalkeeping tips off Terry, the 61-year-old warehouse operative from Enfield who's only experience of goalkeeping was once getting Kasey Keller's autograph

I'm guessing your 61 year old warehouse operative from Enfield had just been pointing out to his mates that effing Hugo was only effing covering one effing side of the effing goal and therefore a well struck free kick towards his effing right hand would effing leave him effing too much effing ground to make up. And so it effing proved. Goalkeeper's positioning for free kicks from the centre of the pitch is a constant bone of contention.