• Romeu
    • PEH
    • JWP
    • Austin
    • Redmond
    • Sims
    • Long
    • Armstrong

I haven't had a chance to post on here yet, but christ what a second half that was yesterday.

I felt we let Spurs control too much of the first half, we were passive in our approach and slow in our press - our attacking play was ponderous and didn't really cause them any issues. Not much else to say on the first half, but it could have been much worse. Saving grace was that it was just 1.

Second half, we came out a different side - but we benefitted from Spurs drifting from the word go, complacency on their part, but we took advantage of that and put ourselves on the front foot as soon as the 2nd half started. The pace and directness of Long and Sims changed the approach of our attack and stretched their defenders, they didn't look as comfortable and were forced into making more harried clearances which meant they couldn't really get hold of the ball as they did in the first half.

I wouldn't say we peppered them, but we controlled much more of the game and we opened them up so much more than we did in the first half - and it's the key element of getting down the side and I think that was a clear tactical instruction in the 2nd half – obviously aided by the introduction of a little more pace!

Valery, 2 in 2? It was a lucky goal in the sense that it was a miss hit, but...if he had hit that clean, it would have been saved I'm sure. Total mess up by 3 spurs defenders, but not complaining. I thought...amazing, we've potentially rescued a point here. I then had a debate with the guy next to me....stick or twist? I wanted to see us go for it, I thought we had the head of the steam and we put them on the back foot - so we needed to use the remaining 10/15 mins to our advantage. We did.

Our use of the ball on the break was so much better than I have seen for ages. I know Puel was apparently the master at counter attacking football, but the speed at which we do it under Ralph is what makes it work - and the free kick came from a really quick break from us. What a free kick by the way, I saw him put the ball down and I thought...this is your moment, it was pretty much perfect for him positionally...and he honestly couldn't have hit it any better, no goal keeper could have got to that - it was measured into the corner to exact millimetres. It's a real talent and I'm pleased we're finally seeing him fulfil his ability in that sense, but also his general play.

He's more aggressive, more progressive and quicker with transitions. He seems more confident to look forward and play the pass forward. He's snappier to the tackle, stronger against midfielders and is generally influencing games in midfield against some decent opponents. So well played JWP, keep it up. Obviously he's a shoe in for England in a couple of weeks, I just hope he doesn't let that dampen his form!

Overall, it was massive. Given the results of the teams around us (Newcastle, Cardiff, Brighton) a win turned into an absolutely critical result - otherwise we'd have been in deep ****! So, we've got a 3 week break, and we sit in 16th with Brighton away to come next. I would imagine we need something like 7/8 points from the available 24 on offer - that seems doable to me, given the fixtures we've got - compared to, say, Cardiff. I think we'll finish a few places away from 17th in the end, but it will still come down to the last couple of games.

Frustrating thing looking at the league table is there really isn't much that separates 7th down to 18th, when you think of some of the clueless football we played under Hughes and number of times poor defending and fitness has seen us throw away a winning position (plus losing to Cardiff twice) we could have been comfortably top half by now.

Weird feeling getting used to winning at home again, after 2nd half of season with Puel , Pellegrino and Hughes we'd become so used to never winning at home, Ralph has already chalked up 4 home wins.

Saw this linked elsewhere but worth a few minutes viewing after about 10:00

Absolutely hilarious. Favourite bits were Del Trotter reading a book behind them early doors, them having absolutely no original songs, and that bloke with anger issues next to them.

Brilliant. Ta for posting