Bad referees

benjii

PGMOL review all performances and would be good to publish how many decisions in retrospect refs got wrong. Assume there is some threshold when they get relegated to lower leagues?

Could have a league table which would probably show Micheal Oliver, Atkinson, Mariner at top and no doubt Attwell, Friend and Mason at bottom

If they want to be more transparent, maybe give the ref a score. No explanation needed, as that would undermine them too much, but just a score. Yesterday would be 3/10 for example. However that might undermine them too much and put off people becoming refs.

Not much more I can add, he was terrible. Probably worse than he was in our Liverpool game and only marginally better than Peter Walton against Leeds.

Redmond (I think) had a Spurs player climbing all over him for a header. Nothing given. 5 minutes later Bednarek goes over a Spurs player, free kick. Stuff like that happened all game. He was so reluctant to give us anything and couldn’t whistle quick enough for them.

The Sissoko thing was horrific. Friend already had his yellow card out to book him for the challenge. Sissoko then pushes Redmond and headbutts him and gets nothing more. It was a straight red or minimal 2 yellows. He didn’t give him a red because he’s a cheat.

Someone mentioned him being overly friendly with the Spurs players. When Long was down injured, he was laughing and joking with a group of Spurs players. So unprofessional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair on City though, Pep said after the game that they voted for VAR and other clubs didn't, it was a terrible decision yes, but VAR would have cleared it up. According to Pep most of the other big clubs voted against it and to be honest you can see why over a season as they tend to get the calls go in their favour more often than not.

Is there also not an argument that Sissoko should have got two yellows AND a straight red, his foul that Redmond reacted to was bad, he raked his studs down his achilles, then he pushes him, and then he attempts to headbutt him.

The Armstrong one, I am not so sure what the rules there are, but as he said himself he was in if that ball was played square so surely a goal scoring opportunity being denied?.

Also how was the Vertonghen one not a foul at least?

You don’t need VAR for that Sterling incident. You just need a referee who understands the Laws of the Game. The linesman called it correctly so I don’t see what the referee could have seen that would have led him to overrule the flag. It doesn’t matter that the ball was kicked onto Sterling’s foot by a defender, if that’s not ‘interfering with play’ then I don’t know what is.

The most amazing thing is that Danny Rose, an expert diver and feigner of injuries, after diving over Valery/Romeu quickly got back up and ran off without an appeal as he knew he’d dived and didn’t want to get booked. Yet to his amazement, he got a free kick and got his opponent booked! Unbelievable! They say you can tell by player reactions, and this was as clear as any i’ve seen.

Last week against Brighton, Huddersfield had a stonewall penalty not given which would have ended that game 1-1. This week knochkart should have been sent off early on for a studs up challenge (goes on to score the winner), and Palace should have had a stonewall penalty given for a foul on tomkins in the area (he chested the ball down, shielded it from a Brighton player behind him, and was pushed/charged to the ground). Shocking decisions that have given Brighton a free 4-5 extra points over two games.... And as an aside, did anyone watch the Newcastle Everton game? What the hell was that ref doing. Pickford avoids the easiest red card in history despite a literal rugby tackle, and an offside goal given for Newcastle at the end. Laughable refs. Not to mention us at United. VAR is needed urgently just to clear up the game.

You don’t need VAR for that Sterling incident. You just need a referee who understands the Laws of the Game. The linesman called it correctly so I don’t see what the referee could have seen that would have led him to overrule the flag. It doesn’t matter that the ball was kicked onto Sterling’s foot by a defender, if that’s not ‘interfering with play’ then I don’t know what is.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I was listening to the radio commentary and they got word (before the final decision was made I think) that the lino had said he flagged for handball by Aguero. The ref (who I accept is generally useless) went over to say that he had a clear view that it wasn't handball, but to check if the lino was sure it wasn't offside and the lino said it wasn't, hence the goal was given. Although they are not meant to do so, you'd have thought the 4th official would have told them it was offside, as he must seen a replay during the long time it took to finally reach a decision.

If the above is true, it would mean that in this instance the main fault was with the lino.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I was listening to the radio commentary and they got word (before the final decision was made I think) that the lino had said he flagged for handball by Aguero. The ref (who I accept is generally useless) went over to say that he had a clear view that it wasn't handball, but to check if the lino was sure it wasn't offside and the lino said it wasn't, hence the goal was given. Although they are not meant to do so, you'd have thought the 4th official would have told them it was offside, as he must seen a replay during the long time it took to finally reach a decision.

If the above is true, it would mean that in this instance the main fault was with the lino.

Thanks for that, but if that is the case then they were both useless. The flag signal that the Lino gave was for offside, not for a foul.

The fourth official takes no part in match decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be worth keeping an eye tomorrow on the Man U v Watford match as our friend Stuart Attwell is the ref.

He has refereed Man U 4 times this season and has given them 3 penalties. One was against us ... yet he refused our penalty shouts.

He first refereed Watford 11 years ago when he gave Reading a phantom goal. He has only refereed them 3 times since - and only once at Vicarage Road. I wonder what he will get up to tomorrow.

Watford have clearly refused to accept him as ref in their matches. Could we do the same with the likes of Kevin Friend?

It would be worth keeping an eye tomorrow on the Man U v Watford match as our friend Stuart Attwell is the ref.

He has refereed Man U 4 times this season and has given them 3 penalties. One was against us ... yet he refused our penalty shouts.

He first refereed Watford 11 years ago when he gave Reading a phantom goal. He has only refereed them 3 times since - and only once at Vicarage Road. I wonder what he will get up to tomorrow.

Watford have clearly refused to accept him as ref in their matches. Could we do the same with the likes of Kevin Friend?

I'd suggest that your last line is a complete fabrication, rather than Watford "clearly refusing" to have him. Unless, of course, you have evidence to the contrary...

• 1 month later...

So Kevin Friend, regarded as an utter joke of a referee throughout football - one of the very worst, gets the Cup Final. Lee Mason will probably get it next year.

The incompetence of refereeing these days is a direct reflection of the people running the system.

"Refereeing will improve when they become full time professionals", my arse.