Bad referees

benjii

Stuart Atwell, after his performance for Man U last week, has just given one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen in City’s favour.

”Kevin was superb” was his usual useless self today.

Mason is a skate ****.

Moss is a mentalist.

We need VAR but let’s not let these useless ****s adjudicate on it. 5th official, away from the pitch, should decide - not these clueless fools.

Hate slagging off referees as they get far more right than wrong. But it wasn’t just Friend’s decision making that was poor today, it was his whole control of the game. Whistle happy, officious, really did make himself unnecessarily the centre of attention.

I genuinely do think that at some point in the future there will be a big exposure of corruption in English football. Week after week we see it where the big clubs get decision over the smaller clubs. Not just saints but all clubs consistently get decisions go against them when playing the so called big six. Ever since the comment made by the chairman of the premier league that the primer league needs Man united to qualify for the champions league I’ve thought things weren’t right. Perhaps refs are taking back handers but I definitely think they are under pressure to make sure the bigger clubs do as well as possible.

I would like to see the refs wear their name on their backs like the players. They would be far less anonymous, and I'm sure the really bad ones would really start to stand out in replays after the games.

Mike Dean would get the squad number 1.

we do NOT need VAR. we needs referees that aren't on the take. Kevin Friends performance today was nothing short of scandalous

Yes we do need VAR, decisions made from outside as in Rugby Union. However, will the top clubs accept the change is the question. I’ve been to the last two matches and both referees sub consciously favoured the big team.

Had a player performed that badly he would never play for us again.

It was as if someone claiming to be Collina had rung up and suggested his cousin should be allowed to have a go at reffing.

He was so poor it was beyond ridiculous.

If Kevin was a racehorse they'd have summoned the course vet and ended the sorry debacle behind sheets, as an act of mercy.

If Kevin was a racehorse they'd have summoned the course vet and ended the sorry debacle behind sheets, as an act of mercy.

If he were a racehorse, I'd have been bloody surprised to see him reffing a footy match, even with the bunch we have already!

To think of that terrible decision vs Watford too where Yoshi was adjudged to be offside and interfering. That alone could cost Saints dear. Terrible refs most weeks make it so much harder for us.

Yet today, Sterling wasn't interfering, even though: a) the defender was stretching to stop him getting the ball; and b) he kicked it into the goal.

Stuart Atwell, after his performance for Man U last week, has just given one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen in City’s favour.

”Kevin was superb” was his usual useless self today.

Mason is a skate ****.

Moss is a mentalist.

We need VAR but let’s not let these useless ****s adjudicate on it. 5th official, away from the pitch, should decide - not these clueless fools.

It was Paul Tierney not Attwell.

Friend was a genuine disgrace today.

I can’t disagree with that.

I posted on the 'build up' that Kevin 'Enemy' (because he ain't no friend of ours) that we will see how much he hates us and so it proved. What a pity we can't do an Everton and refuse to accept the appointed official (Clattenberg) because the last three we've had are atrocious.

It was Paul Tierney not Attwell.

Friend was a genuine disgrace today.

It’s probably been discussed but what was the score with Sissoko on Redmond today. It was quite away from us but looked like a clear headbutt - or attempt at least - and right in front of Friend?

He was scandalous today. How taking out Armstrong like that wasn’t a red card is beyond belief.

Worse than Peter Walton a few years back against Leeds and I still maintain he was corrupt that day

I was just trying to think of that refs name against Leeds - he had to be the worst!

I don't think it's just a case of getting things wrong …… the whole ground can see Rose dives to get a free kick - the only answer is that they must be corrupt! Spurs player sticks his head in Redmonds face, Armstrong clean through, Attwell last week, the League Cup final, Watford games etc etc

The phase about decisions evening themselves out is utter b*llocks!

Have you seen the picture of Josh Sims with Vertongens foot in his mouth? VAR would help that or as a mad alternative have 4 linesmen and 4 behind the goal. Then surely every situation is covered by 3 offiicials so a 2-1 decision would win

What a diabolical one sided refereeing performance. Probably the worst I have seen in over 50 years of watching Saints. It ruined a good game and totally ruined my enjoyment - well until the second half when we frightened them with pace and great play. Even when we were pushing on the second half Friend tried to keep them in the game with his decisions most of which have been covered but what about the defender nearly taking Josh Sims head off. I feel sorry for Romeou, he was given a soft yellow for his first foul and he had to be taken off as I am sure the Ref? (if you can call him someone who is there to see fair play) would have loved to bring out a red. How they did not end up with 9 men I do not know. Well done Ralph for the substitutions and keeping the players calm in spite of all those decisions going against them.

I genuinely do think that at some point in the future there will be a big exposure of corruption in English football. Week after week we see it where the big clubs get decision over the smaller clubs. Not just saints but all clubs consistently get decisions go against them when playing the so called big six. Ever since the comment made by the chairman of the premier league that the primer league needs Man united to qualify for the champions league I’ve thought things weren’t right. Perhaps refs are taking back handers but I definitely think they are under pressure to make sure the bigger clubs do as well as possible.

I don't think that it is corruption Turkish, I think it is an inbuilt subconscious fear of scrutiny by big clubs. If Ralph questions a decision the it is a lost in the text but if Klopp implies poor officialdom then it can be headline news. Nothing supports the hypothesis more than Gabbiadini's goal in the cup final.

He’s had previous with us. Remember the 2-0 evening defeat at home to Liverpool? He was abysmal that night too.

Yep, absolutely shocking then (wasn’t that the hacking-down-Djuricic incident?) so unfortunately it didn’t come as a surprise to me today.

Not 1 but 2 100% nailed on Red Cards. Can the head butt be judged later,not that it does us any good,

but would emphasise the incompetence on display on the day.

If a yellow card is given at the time there is no further sanction because the referee is deemed to have seen the offence.

I agree some refs are shockingly biased in favour of "big" clubs but I do not believe money (or rewards of any sort) change hands. The refs feel under pressure not to give unfair decisions against the top 6 as they have so much more clout than us. Nothing demonstrated this better than the threat of Fergie criticising refs on MOTD et al

Not to much to add to the comments above but a truly inept performance from Friend. It is about time referee's explained their decisions post match- they would get a lot more respect if they came out and admitted they had made mistakes.

Just got back, had a good old laugh at the match thread. For some strange reason I thought we would win 2 nil, but we were pretty woeful first half. Big issue was though, we were still in the game so Ralph had something to work on at half time. Strangely, one of the refs many ineptitudes (booking Romeu for a nothing challenge) helped lead to our transformation in the second half. Simms caused them all sorts of problems from the off, put us on the front foot. An excellent 2nd half by everybody, how many people are glad we didn't offload JWP in January.

Mr Friend should be investigated by the fraud squad, one of the very worst refereeing performances I have ever witnessed. On the plus side, a strong bout of atmosphere erupted around SMS at times today, if we can maintain that and the performances, we'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Friend was not our friend today. However he did let JWP take the free kick about 10 yards forward (and 1-2 yards more central) than where the foul/contact was made.

Naturally we didn't mention or mind that ref mistake

attachment.php?attachmentid=2785&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2784&stc=1

Well that shows just how bad he was, if you think that excuses his Spurs bias then knock yourself out but truth of the matter was he favoured them time and time and time again.

Well that shows just how bad he was, if you think that excuses his Spurs bias then knock yourself out but truth of the matter was he favoured them time and time and time again.

Don't be too harsh on him he is struggling to come to terms with our result being a win

and Everton being so tacticaly poor

The ref was terrible

We see enough of reviews over here to realize that they even disrupt games that have a lot of natural breaks - baseball, hockey, (American) football.

I hate the idea of introducing them to (proper) football, where one of the attractions is the constant flow of the game.

It's even more annoying that a good 80% of the need results not from really close plays but from weak officiating - not keeping up with play (Jon Moss), the well-known big team bias (Atwell), and complete and utter incompetence (Friend, Mason).

But today's performance from Friend was on a whole new level. He's been sh*t for years but today he 'graduated' into dysentry.

Wow - Having now watched MOTD if Kevin Friend is on the whistle or even a 4th official for the next round of games then we know for certain that the game is bent! Sissoko was full hands on shove with minimal contact from Redmond and right in sight of Friend then to compound it further Sissoko makes to head butt Redmond right in front of the referee, yet Friend deems both players are equally culpable. Absolute bloody joke!

Right I am off my high horse now.

just as an aside, Tierney who overturned the Lino and gave the goal for Sterling in the City v Watford game, was the same ref who let Kompany off for a 2 footed studs up challenge against a Saints player, leaving him down injured, with a yellow card, but couldn’t wait to get the Red card out for PEH for a robust challenge on the city player who got strainght up to get in PEHs face.

Cobblers do they even themselves out over a season.

ok honestly of my soap box now :D

It will be interesting to see what Mark Clattenburg has to say.

He called Atwell out last week but Friend's blown calls were far worse - especially the violent conduct that happened right in front of him.

And then there's Lee Mason - yet again.

It needs someone like Clattenburg to really ignite the discussion about the abysmal standard of English referees. It's no coincidence that we had no ref at the World Cup for the first time ever.

Friend was not our friend today. However he did let JWP take the free kick about 10 yards forward (and 1-2 yards more central) than where the foul/contact was made.

Naturally we didn't mention or mind that ref mistake

attachment.php?attachmentid=2785&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2784&stc=1

I’m so sorry for your loss.

So has everyone seen the City incident? I find that one completely flabbergasting. It’s an atrocious decision where the ref has gone out of his way to help them.

We had a goal ruled out earlier in the season because a shot passed by Yoshida, even though he wasn’t blocking the keeper’s view or trying to play the ball. Yesterday, Sterling was trying to get onto a pass and kicked it into the net yet was apparently not interfering until the defender, stretching for the ball precisely because Sterling was next to him, got a toe to it.

You’re telling me if the away team scored in those circumstances the ref would tried so hard to overrule the linesman?

Most weekends now it seems that most games have major wrong decisions (clear goals, penalties, red cards). It’s fine to make mistakes and offsides are impossible to get right every time but some of the inconsistency and bias is inexcusable.

To be fair on City though, Pep said after the game that they voted for VAR and other clubs didn't, it was a terrible decision yes, but VAR would have cleared it up. According to Pep most of the other big clubs voted against it and to be honest you can see why over a season as they tend to get the calls go in their favour more often than not.

Is there also not an argument that Sissoko should have got two yellows AND a straight red, his foul that Redmond reacted to was bad, he raked his studs down his achilles, then he pushes him, and then he attempts to headbutt him.

The Armstrong one, I am not so sure what the rules there are, but as he said himself he was in if that ball was played square so surely a goal scoring opportunity being denied?.

Also how was the Vertonghen one not a foul at least?

Is there also not an argument that Sissoko should have got two yellows AND a straight red, his foul that Redmond reacted to was bad, he raked his studs down his achilles, then he pushes him, and then he attempts to headbutt him.

He should have been off one way or another, no question about it.

The Armstrong one, I am not so sure what the rules there are, but as he said himself he was in if that ball was played square so surely a goal scoring opportunity being denied?

Redmond was sent off for fouling Alli in pretty much the same position when they went on to beat us 4-1 when Puel was in charge. Alli did go on to have a shot before the game was called back so Redmond could be sent off for that one, though.

Also how was the Vertonghen one not a foul at least?

Because Kevin Friend is a biased, useless cheat who intentionally gives everything for whoever we are playing against and nothing for us. Doubly so against big teams.

I knew before a ball was kicked that we'd be playing against 12 yesterday.

The thing that astonished me was the level of blatant cheating. Within minutes of the game starting Lucas moura had thrown himself on the ground to win 2 undeserved free kicks, the first of which he was falling over before anyone touched him - I referee kids football almost every weekend and I understand how difficult it can be, but there are simple things you can easily see that will tell you if someone is diving. This then became a pattern for the whole of the game. Someone only had to fart near rose and he was tumbling over like he'd been assaulted. At one point vertongen who must be one of the strongest players on the pitch fell over like a limp lettuce leaf when challenged by Redmond. And then he has the temerity to book hoibjerg for diving... A good call but unbelievable in context of the rest.

I also noticed how friend was being very pally with his spurs footballer buddies, the body language said it all.

And then there are the big decisions, Sims kicked in the head in the penalty area... Look at the picture on the BBC website, how that isn't a penalty and a booking is beyond me. 2 blatant red cards not given right under his nose.

Once again I'm left feeling that he should never ref a saints game again. Hopefully the club will do something about it - someone really needs to stand up against cheating by refs...

On the bright side at least we won which is justice of a kind...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

It wasn't just the big decisions that get on my tits yesterday it was all the small stuff any kind of 50-50 decision would go spurs way. The ref seem to have different standards for both teams a number of nasty spurs tackles weren't even given yet similar fouls by us where given yellows straight away. Discussions about refs quite often end up talking about rule interpretations when all I want is to see the rules evenly implemented to both sides.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Edited by doddisalegend