Brighton v Saints Build-up

SuperSAINT

This is cool as we can likely at this point suggest a team without any injuries. I would like:

Gunn

Yosh vest bednarek

Valery Hoj lemina bertrand

JWP ings redmond

With lemina > romeu to hold a lead and yosh > Armstrong if we are chasing the game, sims being a useful impact sub when they are tired.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

This is cool as we can likely at this point suggest a team without any injuries. I would like:

Gunn

Yosh vest bednarek

Valery Hoj lemina bertrand

JWP ings redmond

With lemina > romeu to hold a lead and yosh > Armstrong if we are chasing the game, sims being a useful impact sub when they are tired.

Would be harsh for Romeu to lose his place. We know what Lemina is capable of but I'm not sure I'd risk breaking up what's become a decent midfield, particularly by removing its best defender.

Pretty much summer by the time we play this game.

I wish! We have enormous snow piles here (about 6-8 ft either side of each driveway). Warmer temps on the way but it’ll still be hanging around by then, although much reduced (hopefully). We’ve had a brutal winter.

Same team as the one that started vs UTD and Spurs but swap Ings for Austin.

We must attack Brighton hard and don’t sit back plus someone needs to nail Murray as he is an arsel against us.

Sims off the bench around 60 minutes should wrap up the 3 points.

3k Saints, Brighton is a great day on the p*ss, it's a 3pm k/o and the game is huge. In theory this has everything you need for a cracking atmosphere and a proper, proper away day.

We also have an alright record in Brighton and they look beatable.

Just hope the bingo bus lot have a break for the day and decide to jump on the train, have some beers and get behind the lads, because winning this one means we're level on points with them and their run in is a hell of a lot worse than ours.

Brighton should beat Millwall in the Cup next week but hopefully it will be a hard physical contest, they will then have a FA Cup semi final at Wembley the week after we play them as a distraction. Having won their last two league games they'll think they're almost safe.

We had a good win there in the league cup back in August, would have beaten them at St Marys as well but for an injury time pen.

Trains from Southampton direct look ok, coming from London bit of a pain with bus replacements from Three Bridges.

tempting to try this:

--------Gunn-----------

---Yoshi--Vest----bednarek--

Valery-----hoj------Berty

---Sims---Jwp---Redmond

---------Ings--------

Need to go full attack like we did in the 2nd half yesterday. Win it and get a draw against Liverpool I think we will be safe, Cardiff have a hell of a run now and that would put d daylight between us

Weren’t they supposed to offer us full allocation (30k) for this game? As part of some transfer clause...?

Anyway Choose your 11 from this:

Gunn

Valery

Bednarek

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Højbjerg

Lemina

Romeu

Armstrong

Jwp

Redmond

Sims

Ings

McCarthy

Targett

Long

Gallagher

Weren’t they supposed to offer us full allocation (30k) for this game? As part of some transfer clause...?

Anyway Choose your 11 from this:

Gunn

Valery

Bednarek

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Højbjerg

Lemina

Romeu

Armstrong

Jwp

Redmond

Sims

Ings

McCarthy

Targett

Long

Gallagher

That was a wind-up by the UI.

I’m genuinely stunned that anyone would think we’d get a 30k allocation.

I think the main thing is that after winning yesterday and getting 3 unexpected points, this game is not so "6 pointer" as it was so a draw will suffice. On the other hand perhaps thats the wrong mindset and keep it a must win?

We cannot slacken, we are still in the position of controlling our own destiny, and beating Brighton would ensure that they are kept down in the maelstrom. Also, the players need to keep building confidence and self-belief.

Clearly not intelligent enough...

Clearly not. Especially given their ground only holds just over 30k. Do you honestly think that any football club, in the world, let alone PL, would give the away team 99% of their capacity and leave 750 seats for the home fans :lol::lol::lol:

Funny how things are turning out as many on here insisted that this year with the dominance of the big 6 clubs could ease from relegation with only 32 or 34 points. Now we are all on 30 with 8 matches to play and still feeling uncomfortable it is evident that a much higher target will be needed to stay up. Hassenhuttl says 40 which is the normally quoted figure and he could be right. For us that's three wins and a draw or two wins and four draws.

Surely we can do that?

Funny how things are turning out as many on here insisted that this year with the dominance of the big 6 clubs could ease from relegation with only 32 or 34 points. Now we are all on 30 with 8 matches to play and still feeling uncomfortable it is evident that a much higher target will be needed to stay up. Hassenhuttl says 40 which is the normally quoted figure and he could be right. For us that's three wins and a draw or two wins and four draws.

Surely we can do that?

40 points has not been needed for the vast majority of a 38 game PL season. Unlikely it will this year either... especially with Cardiff, Brighton and Burnley's fixture lists.

Just looked at Cardiff's run in and hadn't been aware that, of their remaining 8 matches, only 3 are at home. Two of those home games are Chelsea and Liverpool whilst the other is Palace which will be tricky. Away games for them to come at both Manchester clubs, Brighton, Burnley and Fulham. Despite beating us at St Marys their away record is horrendous. I can't see them mustering many points from those fixtures. In comparison we have home games against Liverpool, Wolves, Bournemouth and Huddersfield whilst we travel to Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham and Watford. We sit two points in front of Cardiff with a vastly superior goal difference so, in conclusion, we should be confident of avoiding the drop. This assumes that Fulham and/or Huddersfield are not suddenly going to rise, Phoenix like, from the ashes.

Just looked at Cardiff's run in and hadn't been aware that, of their remaining 8 matches, only 3 are at home. Two of those home games are Chelsea and Liverpool whilst the other is Palace which will be tricky. Away games for them to come at both Manchester clubs, Brighton, Burnley and Fulham. Despite beating us at St Marys their away record is horrendous. I can't see them mustering many points from those fixtures. In comparison we have home games against Liverpool, Wolves, Bournemouth and Huddersfield whilst we travel to Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham and Watford. We sit two points in front of Cardiff with a vastly superior goal difference so, in conclusion, we should be confident of avoiding the drop. This assumes that Fulham and/or Huddersfield are not suddenly going to rise, Phoenix like, from the ashes.

Been thinking Cardiff always play at home. Tends to even out in the end though and not yet known any team play more than half their league games at home

3-0 win will see us go above Brighton but will take 2-0

I think they’ll get a few more 35-37.

This I see my guess for them too, probably 35. Of course it might not even be them that gets relegated, Burnley despite their reasonable form have been dragged right back into it, and it was a bad weekend of results for Palace too.

I found this table on the Spurs forum...

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/the-race-for-top-four.30747/page-10

I'm not sure who created it but it suggests we could finish close to 44 points, in 14th. I doubt we will get 14 points from 24 but I'd certainly take that!

As for the Brighton game, I guess the only change would be Ings for Austin, but with Lemina not too far off fitness and Sims and Armstrong having strong cameo aPpearances against Spuds, there's a selection dilemma there for Ralph. Maybe switch to a back 4 and add an attacking player?

Expect us to be bang up for this, and at this stage feeling confident of at least a draw. I'd like:

Gunn

Jan

Yoshi

Vesti

Valrey

JWP

Hoj

Bertrand

Redmond

Ings

Armstrong

McCarthy

Stephens

Targett

Romeu

Lamina

Sims

Austin

By and large the team that finished Saturday, but with Ings starting if fit instead of Sims. Possibly a bit harsh for Long to miss out entirely - thought he was decent for his 20 mins Saturday and could be useful if we get our noses in front and are defending; but Sims has to be the 'pace' option after his performance, and Austin offers more of a goal threat IMHO. If Lamina's not fit would want either Slattery or Long as the other sub. Other substitute option might be to bin off Stephens and have Bertrand as our 'sub' centre back (Targett to left back, move Ryan).

Ralph's average points take so far if maintained would give us 42. It is still a big 'ask' with all our opponents fighting for something. Even if we win two at home and draw one other, we still need three draws for our four away games... we'd better pay the fat lady a lot of money to stay in the dressing room for now.

Ralph's average points take so far if maintained would give us 42. It is still a big 'ask' with all our opponents fighting for something. Even if we win two at home and draw one other, we still need three draws for our four away games... we'd better pay the fat lady a lot of money to stay in the dressing room for now.

If we do that, we will stay up. No points will be needed from the other games, we would stay up on 37.

Maybe you should take a look at Cardiff's remaining fixtures. It might help allay some of your fears.

Brighton should beat Millwall in the Cup next week but hopefully it will be a hard physical contest, they will then have a FA Cup semi final at Wembley the week after we play them as a distraction. Having won their last two league games they'll think they're almost safe.

We had a good win there in the league cup back in August, would have beaten them at St Marys as well but for an injury time pen.

Trains from Southampton direct look ok, coming from London bit of a pain with bus replacements from Three Bridges.

Whether they have a hard game or not we are usually dreadful after a long break. It better to be playing that endure long lay offs often resulting in lethargic performances.

Maybe you should take a look at Cardiff's remaining fixtures. It might help allay some of your fears.

It's best not to underestimate anybody during the run in, not so long ago Cardiff looked dead certs for the drop but they've confounded a lot of people of late. We must do it ourselves and not find our salvation in other's failing.

Whether they have a hard game or not we are usually dreadful after a long break. It better to be playing that endure long lay offs often resulting in lethargic performances.

Ho about that Ralph fields almost the entire team in an under 23 match to keep them match sharp? Long layoffs are always a disaster.

36/37 will be enough. We'll probably end up in the 40's though.

Yeah I agree, although this break includes international matches so preparations will depend on which of our players are travelling around, if Yoshida is in the Far East he often sits out the next league game. Hoijberg and Bednarek will be away, bound to be a few others once all the squads are announced, not sure if Brighton usually have many call ups.

I wish! We have enormous snow piles here (about 6-8 ft either side of each driveway). Warmer temps on the way but it’ll still be hanging around by then, although much reduced (hopefully). We’ve had a brutal winter.

Starting to warm up down here in Atlanta and MLS season is up and running, although Frank De Boer is not too popular with the Atlanta United fans and his tactics.

Starting to warm up down here in Atlanta and MLS season is up and running, although Frank De Boer is not too popular with the Atlanta United fans and his tactics.

Watched your game last night. Way to **** away a good win. Was almost Saints-esque.

Expect us to be bang up for this, and at this stage feeling confident of at least a draw. I'd like:

Gunn

Jan

Yoshi

Vesti

Valrey

JWP

Hoj

Bertrand

Redmond

Ings

Armstrong

McCarthy

Stephens

Targett

Romeu

Lamina

Sims

Austin

By and large the team that finished Saturday, but with Ings starting if fit instead of Sims. Possibly a bit harsh for Long to miss out entirely - thought he was decent for his 20 mins Saturday and could be useful if we get our noses in front and are defending; but Sims has to be the 'pace' option after his performance, and Austin offers more of a goal threat IMHO. If Lamina's not fit would want either Slattery or Long as the other sub. Other substitute option might be to bin off Stephens and have Bertrand as our 'sub' centre back (Targett to left back, move Ryan).

Not far off with this.

We need a striker, cb, right back and possibly a winger in the summer.

It's best not to underestimate anybody during the run in, not so long ago Cardiff looked dead certs for the drop but they've confounded a lot of people of late. We must do it ourselves and not find our salvation in other's failing.

Their fixtures are horrible, plus with the goal difference they need to get 3 points more than us, so that would mean them getting 10 points from their last 8 if we got to 37.

They are IMO going to have to beat, or even probably get 4 points from their 4 games against the top 6, because neither of their 'easier' away games are going to be easy, especially Burnley and especially for a team so poor away.

I think they basically screwed up losing those two home games vs Watford and Everton so badly, you have to get points from your winnable home games and they got zero and ruined their goal difference.

Their fixtures are horrible, plus with the goal difference they need to get 3 points more than us, so that would mean them getting 10 points from their last 8 if we got to 37.

They are IMO going to have to beat, or even probably get 4 points from their 4 games against the top 6, because neither of their 'easier' away games are going to be easy, especially Burnley and especially for a team so poor away.

I think they basically screwed up losing those two home games vs Watford and Everton so badly, you have to get points from your winnable home games and they got zero and ruined their goal difference.

Pretty sure 1 point more than us would keep them up. ;)

My concern is we seem to play well against the better 'footballing' teams but struggle against the supposedly average team - look at what happen in Jan/Feb.

We played well/got a great result against Man U and Spurs but I hope we dont fall into average performances again for our next, on paper winnable games (as we did against Cardiff and Burnley).