Brighton v Saints Build-up

SuperSAINT

Knowing our luck, Bednarek and Hoj will get injured during the international break, probably JWP too for good measure.

Brighton have a couple of good players amongst their mediocre ones, I remember Solly March giving Cedric a really tough time in the reverse fixture.

I predict 1-1 (dodgy pen and missed blatant red cards included).

We should have too much quality for them but we all know it's never that simple

Gotta love this kind of arrogance, when we are below them in the league and their home form is pretty decent (W6 D4 L4). Typical modern Saints fan reaction after a decent win. Let's not kid ourselves that this will suddenly be an easy game. A point is a decent enough result here after the win against Spurs. Brighton will clearly be bang up for it.

Expect us to be bang up for this, and at this stage feeling confident of at least a draw. I'd like:

Gunn

Jan

Yoshi

Vesti

Valrey

JWP

Hoj

Bertrand

Redmond

Ings

Armstrong

McCarthy

Stephens

Targett

Romeu

Lamina

Sims

Austin

By and large the team that finished Saturday, but with Ings starting if fit instead of Sims. Possibly a bit harsh for Long to miss out entirely - thought he was decent for his 20 mins Saturday and could be useful if we get our noses in front and are defending; but Sims has to be the 'pace' option after his performance, and Austin offers more of a goal threat IMHO. If Lamina's not fit would want either Slattery or Long as the other sub. Other substitute option might be to bin off Stephens and have Bertrand as our 'sub' centre back (Targett to left back, move Ryan).

This is not a game for Armstrong to start. Sims a better option, he has more awareness and energy ...

Big, big game. Get 3 points here and assuming Chelsea do us a favour then Cardiff will need realistically 6 points from 7 games to overtake us.

This is one of those games it could go either way but if we play like we did against Utd and 2nd half against Spurs then 3 points is certainly there for the taking.

This is not a game for Armstrong to start. Sims a better option, he has more awareness and energy ...

err yeah what with Armstrong getting the assist for the first goal and making the energetic run from midfield, that brought the professional foul for the free kick, that became the winner he certainly has no place in the team...

Edited by doddisalegend

You are an odd one - great half from Sims but for someone who kept on telling us how unready Valery was for the first-team despite playing really well until you changed his mind after one worldy against United ... you now want to shove Sims straight into a starting spot above an international footballer with Champions League experience based on a good 45 minutes? Sims hasn't scored a single goal in his professional career (and no assists that I can remember). Armstrong has 4 goals and 1 assist this season. Not spectacular, but ranked 4th in the squad this season.

I like Sims, I think he has a future, and hope he plays out of his skin for the rest of the season, with numerous goals and assists. But right now I'd start Armstrong ahead of him, no question. Still, we're all entitled to our opinion I guess, and if Ralph agrees with you I'll be fine with it.

You are an odd one - great half from Sims but for someone who kept on telling us how unready Valery was for the first-team despite playing really well until you changed his mind after one worldy against United ... you now want to shove Sims straight into a starting spot above an international footballer with Champions League experience based on a good 45 minutes? Sims hasn't scored a single goal in his professional career (and no assists that I can remember). Armstrong has 4 goals and 1 assist this season. Not spectacular, but ranked 4th in the squad this season.

I like Sims, I think he has a future, and hope he plays out of his skin for the rest of the season, with numerous goals and assists. But right now I'd start Armstrong ahead of him, no question. Still, we're all entitled to our opinion I guess, and if Ralph agrees with you I'll be fine with it.

Look at his post history.

I see his name and swipe down to next post.

Not far off with this.

We need a striker, cb, right back and possibly a winger in the summer.

Agreed, though I'd swap your priorities of winger and right back over; another wide / attacking / creative player is a must-have IMHO; with Valery's progress, I think we're probably looking at a back-up right back rather than a starter? Could be wrong, of course!

Sims has no assists that you can remember??????

Sims has no assists that you can remember??????

There's one very famous one!

"Sims......he can run for the hills here.....LONG!!!!! AND takes SAINTS to Wembley...deal done...history made!!!!" (paraphrasing)

Edited by OttawaSaint

You are an odd one - great half from Sims but for someone who kept on telling us how unready Valery was for the first-team despite playing really well until you changed his mind after one worldy against United ... you now want to shove Sims straight into a starting spot above an international footballer with Champions League experience based on a good 45 minutes? Sims hasn't scored a single goal in his professional career (and no assists that I can remember).

:lol: Your card's been marked.

:lol: Your card's been marked.

Errrr not sure but didn’t Sims score two with asssists too in his last U23 game?

How many first team minutes has he actually played to be very fair to him.

In any case statistics don’t tell the whole story. Wins and general contribution count too.

Sims does tend to affect games pretty well and shows very well for the ball which is massively important in momentum terms when in possession. Armstrong is still often not involved enough in that phase so he can quite often be anonymous for long periods. Hopefully he can become more consistent in this regard.

By all means be offended by that analysis though if you wish.

Btw Valery similar and to be honest Ralph is coaching him more in occupying space rather than being marked so it’s coming along and two goals is obviously superb stuff....

Did an online predictor, had this one down as a 1-1 draw. Did it pretty quickly but we didn’t really get any breathing room until after the 35th game where we got 6pts ahead of Cardiff. A wina Brighton could really start to see us feeling comfortable but I think it’ll be drawn out much more.

Did an online predictor, had this one down as a 1-1 draw. Did it pretty quickly but we didn’t really get any breathing room until after the 35th game where we got 6pts ahead of Cardiff. A wina Brighton could really start to see us feeling comfortable but I think it’ll be drawn out much more.

A win is massive here not only does it potentially increase our lead over Cardiff and Burnley it drags Brighton back into the relegation fight as well.

Take a draw. Hard to predict what version of Saints will turn up - we've often been really poor in games we were expected to push for a win in, but have beaten Arsenal, Spurs, taken a point at Chelsea and were robbed of at least a point at Man United.

I do tend to think away games suit our set up better. Provided there's enough pace on the pitch to counter attack meaningfully.

But Brighton are that kind of Burnley-like team that play grim, hard to beat, attritional football and steal a scruffy goal from a set piece. We never seem to do well against the likes.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Think we will win this, Brighton seemed to celebrate like they had won the league after Palace, if that was Saints doing the same I would expect us to follow that up with a real **** performance!

Then again, we will follow up the Spurs win with an equally limp performance. A draw it is!

Am I the only one who thinks Armstrong's a bit crap? He's got a good shot on him and seems to try hard, but for a supposed midfielder, he doesn't have many useful midfield attributes. He's not a strong passer or tackler - and his first touch is as bad as Shane Long's.

I know we didn't pay much for him, and he's handy squad ballast, but even so he's been pretty underwhelming.

Am I the only one who thinks Armstrong's a bit crap? He's got a good shot on him and seems to try hard, but for a supposed midfielder, he doesn't have many useful midfield attributes. He's not a strong passer or tackler - and his first touch is as bad as Shane Long's.

I know we didn't pay much for him, and he's handy squad ballast, but even so he's been pretty underwhelming.

He's hardly a world-beater, granted. But take out JWP's set-piece contribution, and Armstrong has looked like the only player in the squad able to offer a goal-threat from midfield (assuming we count Redmond as a forward these days). And seeing as our forwards can hardly muster a threat themselves, we need all the help we can get in that regard.

If we had better options I'd happily see him slip down the pecking order, but until then we're a bit stuck IMHO.

:mcinnes:

I tend to agree with this and captainChris above. He’s isn’t aggressive and doesn’t join in much with pressing - hence why he had a period of not getting in. I think Ralph saw that

Having said that he made a great impact vs Spurs and looked much better so hopefully he can get back to the form he showed in the decent patch he had earlier in the season

Agree that Sims made a bigger overall contribution to how well we played 2nd half however he might be a better impact player from the bench

Think we will win this, Brighton seemed to celebrate like they had won the league after Palace, if that was Saints doing the same I would expect us to follow that up with a real **** performance!

Then again, we will follow up the Spurs win with an equally limp performance. A draw it is!

You forgot to add that we'll probably lose. :p

I'll happily settle for a draw, along with a Cardiff loss to Chelsea. The latter lost 4-0 to the Cherries so their ability to screw things up cannot be underestimated. And everyone here knows we can play well against the big boys but crap against the mediocre teams.

Beating Spurs is such a huge result. Almost makes up for losing against Cardiff at home.

Looking the fixtures both Cardiff and Burnley have tougher matches than us. In Ralph we trust.

Ah yes but did we beat them on merit by superior strategy and tactics or was it just mother fortune dishing us up a large slice of luck for once. Good for morale of course but next time perhaps Yoshi's off-post clearance attempt goes in, Valery's scuffed shot goes over the bar and Prowse's free kick hits the wall.

Ah yes but did we beat them on merit by superior strategy and tactics or was it just mother fortune dishing us up a large slice of luck for once. Good for morale of course but next time perhaps Yoshi's off-post clearance attempt goes in, Valery's scuffed shot goes over the bar and Prowse's free kick hits the wall.

....and Kane’s goal is ruled offside. Works both ways.

The luck in the Spurs game was really in them spurning so many chances in the first half. We were fortunate to still be in the game at half time, but on balance of play and chances created, we 'won' the second half fair and square.

Armstrong has looked like the only player in the squad able to offer a goal-threat from midfield

Getting a little MLG here, sorry, but 2019 goal scorers in the league (most recent at top)

Ward-Prowse

Valery

Ward-Prowse

Valery

Ward-Prowse

Romeu

Stephens

Redmond

Ward-Prowse

Ward-Prowse

OG

Ward-Prowse

Long

I'm thinking there's another midfielder there who might be offering a goal-threat.

After watching that this afternoon I am now more than convinced we can take three points from the S.h.i.t.e.hawks.They were very lucky to get that free kick and even luckier that the Lions keeper messed up.Murrays constant fouling continues and he needs to be hit hard very early in the game.Press them high and hit them and we will be three points closer to safety.We have the potential, lets apply it 100%

Edited by hasper57saint
Asterisks