Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: This may be of interest to some

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,050
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default This may be of interest to some

    Was just clearing out an old filing cabinet for my old man and found some of his old newspaper clippings from 1984 when we finished 2nd.

  2. #2

    Default

    What a team / squad that was. The first full season I can properly remember ... little did I know that would be as good as it got!! Steve Moran was my first Saints hero, still to this day only eclipsed by the one and only MLT.

    Thanks for the memories

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Lovely stuff, had been a season ticket holder for 5 years but not living in Southampton didn't come across much press like this. Nice to see after all this time.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    7,978

    Default

    Great stuff, great team, great players, great memories. Chelsea in the second tier as well, where were the skates? Thanks for posting, appreciated.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,456

    Default

    Those attendances ....

  6. #6

    Default

    That was a fantastic season, remember it well

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    Thanks for sharing this, very interesting

    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post
    Those attendances ....
    ^this was my first thought too!

  8. Default

    That was back when I lived near Andover. Dad had taken me to the Dell in 1980 for my first taste.

    I can remember quite vividly my Dad lamenting how many late goals Liverpool got in that 1984 season, tutting and saying "lucky lucky Liverpool" as the scores came in on the TV.

  9. #9

    Default

    Mark Wright was the Robinsons Barley Water Young Player of the Year. Wonder what the prize was?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Shirley
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Remember being on the Milton Road terraces when we put 8 past Coventry whose left back was one Stuart Pearce.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    Remember being on the Milton Road terraces when we put 8 past Coventry whose left back was one Stuart Pearce.
    Missed that - remember watching it come in on the old Grandstand vidiprinter. It was one of those occasions they had to put the number in letters as well, just in case people thought it was a typo ...
    Southampton 8 (eight) - Coventry 2

    Funnily enough though, the return fixture was my first ever away game; a drab 0-0 at the old Highfield Road with the highlight being the first sending off I'd witnessed. Think it was Stephen Hunt (??) for clobbering Steve Williams who got stretchered off IIRC?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    Remember being on the Milton Road terraces when we put 8 past Coventry whose left back was one Stuart Pearce.
    That was my first game watching Saints, i mistakenly thought that was what football was going to be like but it was all downhill from there!

  13. Default

    Ivan Golac, great player, was there for "that" goal....

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    Remember being on the Milton Road terraces when we put 8 past Coventry whose left back was one Stuart Pearce.
    Remember that so well. My dad nearly didn’t take me. If I recall it was 8-2. Moran, Danny Wallace hat tricks with Frank Worrhington and Armstrong getting the other two. Worthingtons was given by the Lino as it was hacked away after it had crossed at the Milton Road end. Puckett missed a simple chance- hit the post I believe? Allardyce was in the Coventry side.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Garden of Engerland
    Posts
    4,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    That was back when I lived near Andover. Dad had taken me to the Dell in 1980 for my first taste.

    I can remember quite vividly my Dad lamenting how many late goals Liverpool got in that 1984 season, tutting and saying "lucky lucky Liverpool" as the scores came in on the TV.
    I don't know how true it is but I remember hearing that if matches were 80 minutes long we would have won the league.

  16. #16

    Default

    Gary Lineker scoring for second division Leicester.....

    Hard to remember a time when he wasn't back page news-worthy.

    I was gutted when we came second, really thought we had a chance to win it that year. The media were even worse than they are now. I can remember being second, and the radio commentary team talking about the top four, from first to fourth, but missing out Southampton......

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post
    Those attendances ....
    I spotted that. Extraordinary. Wolves getting 11,000, Forest 16,000.

  18. Default

    So much has changed!

    2nd div: Chelsea, Watford, Cardiff, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Newcastle
    3rd div: Burnley, Fulham, Huddersfield
    4th div: Bournemouth

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    National 5 a side champions? WTF....

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doggface View Post
    National 5 a side champions? WTF....
    Ohhh yes! I remember that now. Was on the TV too. Was fun to watch.

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-football-fans

    EDIT: apparently it wasn't the same tournament though. The linked one is the one I remember.

    The above article is a good read for a certain age group. Brought back so many memories. David Speedie in goals for Coventry, Paul Davis and Glenn Cockerill’s first game against each other after the infamous broken jaw punch at Highbury.
    Last edited by OttawaSaint; 11-03-2019 at 10:25 PM.

  21. #21

    Default

    Post it on the history facebook group

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaintsArchive/

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Exeter
    Posts
    4,437

    Default

    Thanks for posting that Hypo. Happy days and my first real season as a Saints fan - and what a season it was! Was an era when all sides really could compete and the six a sides are example of something you’d never see today but underlined the emphasis on entertainment. That said, as some have noted, attendances were lower and the money did come in handy.

    Look how many goals we scored in 83-84 - Moran got 25 after a slow start, Armstrong got 19 (19!) and Danny 11.

    Shelton said in his book how gutted he was we didn’t beat Everton (calling Old Nick) as that side deserved to win something and he rated it as far more consistent than the flamboyant but home-dominated Keegan era sides that I just missed out on.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,050
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    No problem. It's made my dad happy that it's brought back some memories for other people.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Under The Toomers
    Posts
    5,058

    Default

    That season I only missed about four games home and away and two were down to the birth of my daughter.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    Brilliant stuff. Thanks.

    Ivan Golac. What a guy.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Leominsterland
    Posts
    603

    Default

    The early 80s saw great football from Saints. Characters and crafters and some super goals. Happy memories of seeing consistent wins. My son still struggles to believe we came second only to Liverpool. It seems so unlikely now!

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post
    Those attendances ....
    Hardly a surprise, those were still nasty days to go to football in, grim facilities, not at all family friendly pleasant stadia, and the chance of being set upon to or from the ground, away games weren't much of a day out but a good chance of getting in a scrap.

    We stayed with my sister in the Peak District for the recent Man U game, she wanted to go along with us. We hopped on the train from hers into Manchester, I had my Saints coat on, which you would never have done back then, she was a bit surprised that nobody said anything to me aside "Hello" and other pleasantries.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post
    Those attendances ....
    years of football violence, the recession took its toll.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Hardly a surprise, those were still nasty days to go to football in, grim facilities, not at all family friendly pleasant stadia, and the chance of being set upon to or from the ground, away games weren't much of a day out but a good chance of getting in a scrap.

    We stayed with my sister in the Peak District for the recent Man U game, she wanted to go along with us. We hopped on the train from hers into Manchester, I had my Saints coat on, which you would never have done back then, she was a bit surprised that nobody said anything to me aside "Hello" and other pleasantries.
    exactly, going to away games was not the experience it is now. The Fa cup game away at Pompey, they dropped us off at the top of Goldsmith avenue and we were left to wander to the ground, not a sign of a Bobby. It was interesting and as for after the game lol.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,482

    Default

    Lineker scoring for Leicester andf Barnes scoring for Watford in the second. Incredible the amount of class in our team, Wright, Mills, Shilton, Moran, Williams, Armstrong, Golac, Wallace, Holmes, these were top class players, although obviously at varying stages of their careers.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    83-84 was my favourite season ever but i didn't think we would win the league. I think it was a good finish that lifted us at the end.
    However the other cutting from 81-82 with Keegan was when I thought we would win it. Top for a couple of months and still top as late as March I think. We fell away when Keegan was struggling with injury but he was still division 1 top scorer I think
    Brilliant times, the football was stunning.
    Great post OP some fantastic memories

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    All this does is remind us all how old we're getting!

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,530

    Cool Harry Redknapp in the news again for the wrong reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    All this does is remind us all how old we're getting!

    Talking of old news (and apologies for hijacking this interesting thread, but I don't know how to start a new one)



    Our ancient ex-manager 'Arry Redknapp is in the news again for his contribution to Birmingham's recent fine and points deduction for overspending:

    "Birmingham are the first club to be deducted points since the EFL introduced its new profitability and sustainability regulations at the start of the 2016-17 season.

    In January, Blues revealed a £37.5m loss in the 12 months to the end of June 2018, largely a result of their wage bill rising from £22m to almost £38m after an extensive recruitment drive in 2017.

    The independent panel heard that they spent £7.45m on four new players in January 2017, when Gianfranco Zola was manager, and a further £23.75m to add 14 players to the squad that summer, by which time Harry Redknapp had taken charge."

    Both Zola and Redknapp were sacked after short stints as manager, the costs of which were also given as factors to Birmingham's rule breach.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    7,978

    Default

    'arry Redknapp, a wheeler dealer, you're 'avin' a larf mate, proper manager is 'arry!

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Exeter
    Posts
    4,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    'arry Redknapp, a wheeler dealer, you're 'avin' a larf mate, proper manager is 'arry!

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Take it you’ve seen the You Tube video where Geoff Shreeves uses that exact phrase in an interview with him. Fair to say Harry was not in agreement.....

  36. #36

    Default

    Interesting post,WD.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    Talking of old news (and apologies for hijacking this interesting thread, but I don't know how to start a new one)



    Our ancient ex-manager 'Arry Redknapp is in the news again for his contribution to Birmingham's recent fine and points deduction for overspending:

    "Birmingham are the first club to be deducted points since the EFL introduced its new profitability and sustainability regulations at the start of the 2016-17 season.

    In January, Blues revealed a £37.5m loss in the 12 months to the end of June 2018, largely a result of their wage bill rising from £22m to almost £38m after an extensive recruitment drive in 2017.

    The independent panel heard that they spent £7.45m on four new players in January 2017, when Gianfranco Zola was manager, and a further £23.75m to add 14 players to the squad that summer, by which time Harry Redknapp had taken charge."

    Both Zola and Redknapp were sacked after short stints as manager, the costs of which were also given as factors to Birmingham's rule breach.
    Sorry, I should have posted this in the Che Adams thread that has links with Birmingham's overspend. Please transfer, mods.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •