1979 League Cup Semi.

tisspahars

I watched the first leg - 2-2 at Elland Rd including a belter from Steve Williams - on Sportsnight as a nipper, but have never seen it since. Any time I search Youtube or the like it is never there, which, for a big game that was on tv (highlights at least) seems surprising. Anyone know where to find it?

Oh yeah I remember watching on Spirtsnight and not knowing the score. My over riding memory of that, apart from being two down and coming back, was Phil Boyer getting sent off, possibly the only time in his career ?

and Lawrie Mac standing on the touchline conducting the Saints fans to sing.......................and a pitch sprinkler randomly going off?

Worst was the second leg having to listen on Solent in the days before full match commentary

That was one helluva evening, cold and snowy fantastic comeback and unabated anger from the Leeds lads at the end all the way back to the cars and coaches down the road! I hung onto the tail of a police horse!

Standing in the open corner of Elland Road in the snow, fecking nightmare drive up there in my Cortina with three mates from Bracknell. Journey back must have been as bad but only remember a pub stop about 10 miles outside Leeds (Castleford?). Helluva night, pity we had to play Forest in the Final. What a ****hole Leeds was, probably still is). Not the most welcoming of supporters.

Yes it is a shame the footage seems to have gone missing. My memory is of standing outside the ground trying without success to give a spare ticket away. Also got my Renault 4 stuck in the snow in the carpark - pushed out by Leeds fans who didn't know what team I supported.

Yes it is a shame the footage seems to have gone missing. My memory is of standing outside the ground trying without success to give a spare ticket away. Also got my Renault 4 stuck in the snow in the carpark - pushed out by Leeds fans who didn't know what team I supported.

We had similar experience when starter motor jammed Leeds fans gave us a push in silence from us. Soon as got going out cane scarves etc.

One entrance out of ground bloke in front got punched I got out in melee.

Severely outnumbered great comeback only thing Terry Curran did when he was at Saints in the second game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember the second leg was nearly postponed because of the weather, so we all got let in late. Great fun queueing outside the West stand terrace turnstiles in Archers Road as Leeds fan charged up and down the road.

Terry Curran got the early goal and we just about hung on

Remember the second leg was nearly postponed because of the weather, so we all got let in late. Great fun queueing outside the West stand terrace turnstiles in Archers Road as Leeds fan charged up and down the road.

Terry Curran got the early goal and we just about hung on

The only goal he scored for Saints and it was like time stood still before he hit the thing. Was a long long night.

Was at the second leg, Leeds had the entire Archers. A great night under the lights, I was with my dad in the East Debentures.

Pitch invasion afterwards, celebrating and Saints fans taunting Leeds who were caged in by steel fences a decade before Hillsborough which eventually got rid of all that.

Remember just about every Saints fan inside the Dell swinging their scarves above their heads singing "Que Sera" when it was becoming a reality that we really were going back to Wembley for the third time in less than 3 years. This was when Wembley had this magical aura about it, unlike today when every Tom, D1ck and Harry gets to play at the ultra-modern soulless place, further killing it's magic and sense of being the Holy Grail for football supporters when they chuck FA Cup semi-finals there and even league games with Spurs.

The snow continued all the way up to the 1979 League Cup Final too on March 17.

The return leg at the Dell was one of the most nail biting home games I experienced following Saints

Great atmosphere

Terry Curran was not one of the better players to turn out in a Saints shirt but did the business on the night.

Remember him being sent off (same season?) at QPR

The return leg at the Dell was one of the most nail biting home games I experienced following Saints

Great atmosphere

Terry Curran was not one of the better players to turn out in a Saints shirt but did the business on the night.

Remember him being sent off (same season?) at QPR

Sadly didn't get to watch it - got jumped by about 60 Leeds thugs in Milton Road and there were 4 of us. Got a right going over, passed out and woke up in hospital hours later. Apparently an elderly Leeds couple stepped in when I was getting my head licked when out cold on the street or could have been a lot worse. For years afterwards I would pass out for no apparent reason - doc's never found anything despite lots of investigation.

Needless to say no one "saw anything" and no arrests. Did try to find the couple (to thank them) but failed. Glad to say all is well now, and certainly don't miss those days.

Sadly didn't get to watch it - got jumped by about 60 Leeds thugs in Milton Road and there were 4 of us. Got a right going over, passed out and woke up in hospital hours later. Apparently an elderly Leeds couple stepped in when I was getting my head licked when out cold on the street or could have been a lot worse. For years afterwards I would pass out for no apparent reason - doc's never found anything despite lots of investigation.

Needless to say no one "saw anything" and no arrests. Did try to find the couple (to thank them) but failed. Glad to say all is well now, and certainly don't miss those days.

Doh - maybe brain is still fecked! Meant kicked in

I lived in Leeds for a while and was one of a handful of Saints supporters who were at Elland Rd in the early seventies during the Revie era.

We pulled back to 1-1 after an impressive Joe Kirkup OG then Bill Bremner barged into our keeper, Jerry Gurr, after he had gathered a cross.

Gurr tapped Bremner on the head with the ball.

The Ref wasnt looking but Bremner went down holding his head

The crowd roared and the Ref turned round to see Bremner on the ground holding his head and gave a penalty.

I shouted out in disgust and realised that I was alone amongst thousands of Leeds fans

Fortunately those around me were rather surprised at the soft penalty decision and probably had a degree of sympathy for a lone, and hard done, solitary Saints fan on their particular piece of terracing

Overall though Leeds fans are not the nicest

The only goal he scored for Saints and it was like time stood still before he hit the thing. Was a long long night.

Hit it? From my recollection it bounced off his knee from about a yard out. Although it's a long time ago, memory can play tricks on us oldies.

Hit it? From my recollection it bounced off his knee from about a yard out. Although it's a long time ago, memory can play tricks on us oldies.

As you can see never post as can’t be arsed but that night was mental .

Under East and had good view of ball hitting his knee and going in.

Had run ins with Leeds before during and after especially after as we had parked next to Leeds coaches in Hill Lane . Carnage .

It was up the Archers Road end and I was a nipper in the Family Centre so it was the wrong end and I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen the goal since that night

• 4 months later...
I've vague memories of watching this on telly and I've had a good root around youtube trying to find it to no avail. For some reason today an episode of this series popped up in my recommendations. Managed to find our game with a bit more searching. Here you go

with intro

just the game

Not seen footage of either game for years, ended up with thick lip after I and most fans got attacked after first leg at Elland Rd, no protection from police at all, great goal from Steve Williams.

I've vague memories of watching this on telly and I've had a good root around youtube trying to find it to no avail. For some reason today an episode of this series popped up in my recommendations. Managed to find our game with a bit more searching. Here you go

with intro

just the game

Fantastic stuff - many thanks for that.....

with intro

just the game

Great, great memories. I loved that team. Haven't seen this for years. I had forgotten Boyer flicking the ball of the Leeds guy's head. I remember as a lad thinking that was cool :-)

Went to the second leg with my Dad and sister and the final too. Very clear memory of the game at the Dell. Lovely memories of my old Dad - a staunch Saints and Hampshire cricket man

Went to the second leg with my Dad and sister and the final too. Very clear memory of the game at the Dell. Lovely memories of my old Dad - a staunch Saints and Hampshire cricket man

I always like these threads where we can look back and remember going to games with family members who may not still be with us. For me it was the 1976 FA cup semi final and Final with my dad who is no longer with us. I recall I saw tears in his eyes when we got to the final, something that I would never had expected from him.

I always like these threads where we can look back and remember going to games with family members who may not still be with us. For me it was the 1976 FA cup semi final and Final with my dad who is no longer with us. I recall I saw tears in his eyes when we got to the final, something that I would never had expected from him.

Me too! We watched the 76 final at my Brother's. He was newly married and they had a colour TV. Dad was ****ed at the end of the match, was sick in the toilet and lost his false teeth down the pan! Great welcome to the family for my brother's new wife. But no-one cared that day :-)

Me too! We watched the 76 final at my Brother's. He was newly married and they had a colour TV. Dad was ****ed at the end of the match' date=' was sick in the toilet and lost his false teeth down the pan! Great welcome to the family for my brother's new wife. But no-one cared that day :-)[/quote']

Good story, especially one to pass on to future generations.

with intro

just the game

Great work - I assumed it had been lost as probably pre video recorders and not part of MOTD/BM archive.

Like others can clearly remember staying up for sportsnight in ignorance

of the score, and listening to solent in bed for the second leg.

Great work - I assumed it had been lost as probably pre video recorders and not part of MOTD/BM archive.

Like others can clearly remember staying up for sportsnight in ignorance

of the score, and listening to solent in bed for the second leg.

Yeah same here listening to comentary from solent trying to figure out how the hell im going to get to see saints at wembley .Just started a new job do i go sick ?.........nah mum and dad would have killed me,just great exciting memories nearly 19 then.