David Prutton

Dusic

Signed from Forest in 2003 with high hopes, Eng U21 capatin and highly rated.

Played 82 times and scored 3 goals.

Best Attribute: Clapping fans after the game

Worst Attribute: Finishing

My verdict: One of the most disappointing signings of the last 20 years. When we got him it was a bit of a coup for Saints, but he was essentially rubbish.

After Saints his career totally flopped. He is now on Sky and doing ok. Well trained I suppose from his Saints radio show days with James Beattie which incidentally were the highlight of Rupert Lowe's tenure.

At times I see similarities (personality wise) between Prutton and Hojbjerg who can also be too emotional on the pitch leading to bad decision making and giving the ball away a lot, albeit PEH far better technically.

What did you make of him?

21cbb58eeda091f04d95be85a49c43fd.jpg

I thought Prutts and Beatts on Saints Radio were a genuinely entertaining double act, guess it was around 2004, probably just before all top league footballers were "media trained" to essentially say nothing interesting at all (though Charlie Austin may have missed the course!)

I recall them discussing haircuts and Beattie accusing Prutton of "not believing" in haircuts!

Yes he was an England U21 regular, possibly captain, and I thought he was crap to be honest.

A big let down.....that miss away to WBA the season we went down was fkin unbelievable

Memories of Prutton (in order)

1) The red mist against Arsenal and shoving the linesman

2)the miss at WBA

3)his clapping the fans routine, which for many papered over the cracks of being average.

Was he the last 'mullet' hairstyle we had ?

Arrived with great promise but never fulfilled it here or elsewhere.

Someone mentioned him at Forest, the last I recall reading of him was being sent off in a crucial stage of a play off match v Yeovil, which Forest subsequently lost.

He lives near me and often see him in the gym or walking to dog, nice fella. His son is about 8 and seen him wearing a Saints kit and goalkeepers top and fair bit. He rarely does a full rep when doing pull ups or dips. He's spends a lot of time doing HIIT sprints on the treadmill and often has #bantz with the personal trainers.

When we signed him he was considered to be a great prospect but never really got anywhere near the potential.

Wasn't he in the Forest midfield alongside Jenas? I remember hoping he'd be of a similar ability, but alas he was just another tidy midfielder without any game-changing qualities.

He was said to be the best of the Forest academy crop of the day crop. There was Jenas, Prutton and Andy Reid. I watched them play at Fratton Park once for Forest and Reid and Jenas really stood out. Prutton didn't really. I liked his passion though and he did alright for us.

Never got the near obsession people have with his miss against West Brom. A howler no doubt but Shane Long seems to have made a career as a Premier League striker running around and missing sitters.

I also think he gets judged way too harshly for the Arsenal incident.

whacking a referee.

Linesman.

Neither of these are correct. He was trying to have a go at the linesman who had just told the ref. to send him off. The ref stepped between the two and Prutton pushed him away. It was stupid and a 5 game ban would have been fair but 10 is ridiculous. Barton got the same for punching his way through half the Man City squad. Keane only got 5 for deliberately going out to end someone's career.

Never the most talented player but you can't fault his effort and passion. I'd say comparisons with Hoj are reasonably fair. Always seemed a good honest bloke too.

Met him in the Rhino one night and he was a nice bloke. Not arrogant at all. As others have said, nothing special unfortunately as when we signed him along with Higginbotham at the end of the 2003 transfer window I thought they were both excellent signings with Prutton being a real prospect. As it turned out Higginbotham was the better player for us. Think Prutton was decent for Leeds for a while but apart from that he seemed to have an unremarkable career

Used to be engaged to Brian o neils daughter, no idea if they stayed together.

Yes he married Jenny a few years ago, my mate who is Jenny’s uncle, much younger brother of Brian’s ex wife, gave her away at Wedding as Brian had not been too well before the wedding.

Neither of these are correct. He was trying to have a go at the linesman who had just told the ref. to send him off. The ref stepped between the two and Prutton pushed him away. It was stupid and a 5 game ban would have been fair but 10 is ridiculous. Barton got the same for punching his way through half the Man City squad. Keane only got 5 for deliberately going out to end someone's career.

Never the most talented player but you can't fault his effort and passion. I'd say comparisons with Hoj are reasonably fair. Always seemed a good honest bloke too.

Sorry Lighthouse I have to correct your correction Sir.

The fuse was lit when Senderos tripped him clear as day in the box Lino did nothing (on MOTD later how he didn’t flag for it was amazing). The game trundled on, then Prutton got absolutely trashed by Cashley Cole, the linesman flagged as vigorously as the foul deserved, Alan Wiley the referee on the day waved away the Lino’s flag and let Arsenal carry on their attack. Unknown to everyone in the ground the red mist had descended on Prutton the ball went across the Arsenal back line with Prutton chasing it like a Jack Russell, ending up with the last Arsenal recipient getting clattered with the same ferocity as Cole had minutes before trashed him. Referee Wiley quick as you like ran over brandishing the yellow card at Prutton which sent him over the top, at which point he went to the Linesman to confront him as to why he didn’t ignore the ref and keep flagging the foul on him, then it all went very wrong.

The Red was given when he started on the Lino and pushed Wiley away.

Sad I know, but we were in trouble and just watching it unfold with the Refs involvement had me spitting chips. Best of all the following year I ended up at a Social Club event “Ask the Ref” hosted by Dernot Gallagher and Alan Wiley, Gallagher could say what he wanted, Wiley was gagged slightly as he was still refereeing. A Saints fan asked Wiley “what do you think happened to make David Prutton react like he did in the game you reffed at St Mary’s v Arsenal last season”. He replied “I have no idea, bit strange as he is a nice polite lad”. Alas I couldn’t just sit there............a moment of silence when I finished, and Dermot Gallagher took it away in a funny direction.

...........yes I remember drunk stuff from years ago too: trust me it’s not nice! :scared:

Never got the near obsession people have with his miss against West Brom. A howler no doubt but Shane Long seems to have made a career as a Premier League striker running around and missing sitters.

Thanks. I was there at the game but all that I can remember is that he completely lost it.

Sorry Lighthouse I have to correct your correction Sir.

The fuse was lit when Senderos tripped him clear as day in the box Lino did nothing (on MOTD later how he didn’t flag for it was amazing). The game trundled on, then Prutton got absolutely trashed by Cashley Cole, the linesman flagged as vigorously as the foul deserved, Alan Wiley the referee on the day waved away the Lino’s flag and let Arsenal carry on their attack. Unknown to everyone in the ground the red mist had descended on Prutton the ball went across the Arsenal back line with Prutton chasing it like a Jack Russell, ending up with the last Arsenal recipient getting clattered with the same ferocity as Cole had minutes before trashed him. Referee Wiley quick as you like ran over brandishing the yellow card at Prutton which sent him over the top, at which point he went to the Linesman to confront him as to why he didn’t ignore the ref and keep flagging the foul on him, then it all went very wrong.

The Red was given when he started on the Lino and pushed Wiley away.

Sad I know, but we were in trouble and just watching it unfold with the Refs involvement had me spitting chips. Best of all the following year I ended up at a Social Club event “Ask the Ref” hosted by Dernot Gallagher and Alan Wiley, Gallagher could say what he wanted, Wiley was gagged slightly as he was still refereeing. A Saints fan asked Wiley “what do you think happened to make David Prutton react like he did in the game you reffed at St Mary’s v Arsenal last season”. He replied “I have no idea, bit strange as he is a nice polite lad”. Alas I couldn’t just sit there............a moment of silence when I finished, and Dermot Gallagher took it away in a funny direction.

...........yes I remember drunk stuff from years ago too: trust me it’s not nice! :scared:

Fair enough, I can’t remember the game in that much detail. I do remember the Lino being the target of his aggression but it was the ref who was pushed.

It really wasn’t much worse than Barnes’ outburst for Burnley when the Lino didn’t give that first penalty.

Fair enough, I can’t remember the game in that much detail. I do remember the Lino being the target of his aggression but it was the ref who was pushed.

It really wasn’t much worse than Barnes’ outburst for Burnley when the Lino didn’t give that first penalty.

Yup ref was pushed as he went to seperate the Linesman and Prutton who was in full rant, don’t think he knew it was the ref he was seething so much, probably thought it was a team mate so gave him a good shove as he hadn’t finished his rant, Fair play to him he didn’t go down like the late Paul Alcock did when pushed by DiCanio.

File him in with a long list of players that when we signed them we were delirious thinking we'd pulled off a coup only for them to flatter to deceive.

A tradition that the fabled "Black Box" has continued to the present day