The modern game today

Pilchards

What in the past do you miss most in the modern game today?

Going to get you started on ‘honesty.’

It seems so many players want to cheat at every opportunity and it seems officials are going that way too.

Discuss, as we have a boring two week break coming up.

Lack of integrity.

Saw a clip of a game from many years ago. Vinny Jones absolutely poleaxed Steve McMahon with a very meaty challenge. McMahon simply got up and kept playing. It was a late tackle and a foul, perhaps a yellow (I think Jones escaped a yellow) bu there was no yelling in faux agony, no rolling over holding the face, not gesturing to the ref. McMahon just got on with it. Nowadays players are waitng for contact and sometimes seeking it out so they can cry out and roll about a bit to gain an advantage. I am all about protecting skilled players from hod-carriers deliberately beasting them but I lose sympathy when the purposely look for contact so they can con the ref.

being serious only the FA cup final to be played at Wembley...

THE FA Cup has probably fallen victim to the modern era and lost it's traditions more than anything else really.

Third Round Saturday - not being staggered over a weekend (now including Friday, Sunday and Monday matches)

The Monday lunchtime draw - amazing how people would plan their day at work around this to be available to listen

The draw being conducted by some anonymous blazers at Lancaster Gate ... "the next item on the agenda is... " the name that sticks in my mind was Lionel Smart as one of the 'blazers' drawing the home teams... You could critiscise the FA for being out of touch but I had more confidence in it being a fair draw then than in the celebrity culture of today when ex players and so called celebs are making it on tv

Replays - especially when a few days after the original tie

SF - neutral grounds...

The FA Cup Final being the (only)live game everyone wanted to watch.

Tackling never minded a bit of two footed, off the floor, from behind, uncontrolled aggression..as long as you got a touch of the football.

You remember Brian O'Neill and Hugh Fisher in their prime Alehouse days then ?

I've been going to football since 1980 and I'm not sure there is a lot I miss about yesteryear.

Atmosphere is one candidate. But I can assure you that the home and away games where the atmosphere was nil were as common place as today. Players relationship with their club is probably my biggest miss.

[table=width: 600, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]What[/td]

[td]Old footie[/td]

[td]Current footie[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Getting tickets[/td]

[td]Queue in the rain[/td]

[td]Order on line from your home[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Price[/td]

[td]£1.50 for boys per game (no idea what girls paid)[/td]

[td]£570 season ticket[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Getting to ground[/td]

[td]Park close and walk[/td]

[td]Taxi and walk[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Trouble[/td]

[td]Large disturbance every home game.[/td]

[td]Minor disturbance occasionally[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Football entertainment[/td]

[td]2 points per win - offside used as major defensive tactic[/td]

[td]Avoid losing at all costs[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Football quality[/td]

[td]Top flight with some international players[/td]

[td]Many international players and some worldies[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Pitch quality[/td]

[td]Quagmire in the winter[/td]

[td]Bowling greens all year[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Media coverage[/td]

[td]Only interested when violence peaks[/td]

[td]Wall to wall coverage[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Stadia[/td]

[td]Old. Expect to get wet if it rains[/td]

[td]New. Soulless but functional[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Atmosphere[/td]

[td]Largely tame but spine-tingling when it's good[/td]

[td]Almost entirely tame, occasional glimpses of the past. Rarely spine-tingling [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Players[/td]

[td]Local, community spirited. Sign autographs with a smile[/td]

[td]Global, money orientated. Sign autographs if their contract allows[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Referees[/td]

[td]Middle aged, rotund, slow and favour big clubs[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Edited by ooh it's a corner

I've been going to football since 1980 and I'm not sure there is a lot I miss about yesteryear.

Atmosphere is one candidate. But I can assure you that the home and away games where the atmosphere was nil were as common place as today. Players relationship with their club is probably my biggest miss.

[tr]

[td]What[/td]

[td]Old footie[/td]

[td]Current footie[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Getting tickets[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Price[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Taxi and walk[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Trouble[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[/tr]

[tr]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Pitch quality[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Media coverage[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Stadia[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Atmosphere[/td]

[td]Almost entirely tame, occasional glimpses of the past. Rarely spine-tingling [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Players[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Referees[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

An astute assessment.

[tr]

[td]What[/td]

[td]Old footie[/td]

[td]Current footie[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Getting tickets[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Price[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Taxi and walk[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Trouble[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[/tr]

[tr]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Pitch quality[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Media coverage[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Stadia[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Atmosphere[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Players[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Referees[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Brilliant work.

In answer to the OP, there's one general thing and one very specific.

In general, it's money. And not actually so much the players wages (galling though it is) but the fact that failure costs so much, and stepping up a level requires hundreds of millions, not just good team building. This means teams can't risk blooding youngsters to let them and the team grow and develop because instant success is not only wanted, but needed in order to avoid relegation that can genuinely cripple your club. And it means the top clubs are rarely changed.

In my very early youth you had forest come up a division, win the league and the European cup. Leeds similar ten years later (obviously not Europe). Impossible now. Us and Ipswich challenging for titles and in Europe. This wasn't just a one off, it happened regularly and was down to good coaches, great teams and not simply money.

And my specific item is the fa cup final. Mainly because there was virtually no football on tv the entire nation sat down and watched the whole event, including hours of dreadful build up. It really was a super bowl moment the whole nation (and to be honest many other nations) sat down and watched THE game everyone cared about. Simply not the same any more, and it's a big shame.

That said, on balance, there's actually quite a lot better today. Average skill level of players, almost total lack of hooliganism, standard of stadium (though soulless), ability to watch a good game of football on to most days of the week. Progress??

Brilliant work.

In answer to the OP, there's one general thing and one very specific.

In general, it's money. And not actually so much the players wages (galling though it is) but the fact that failure costs so much, and stepping up a level requires hundreds of millions, not just good team building. This means teams can't risk blooding youngsters to let them and the team grow and develop because instant success is not only wanted, but needed in order to avoid relegation that can genuinely cripple your club. And it means the top clubs are rarely changed.

In my very early youth you had forest come up a division, win the league and the European cup. Leeds similar ten years later (obviously not Europe). Impossible now. Us and Ipswich challenging for titles and in Europe. This wasn't just a one off, it happened regularly and was down to good coaches, great teams and not simply money.

And my specific item is the fa cup final. Mainly because there was virtually no football on tv the entire nation sat down and watched the whole event, including hours of dreadful build up. It really was a super bowl moment the whole nation (and to be honest many other nations) sat down and watched THE game everyone cared about. Simply not the same any more, and it's a big shame.

That said, on balance, there's actually quite a lot better today. Average skill level of players, almost total lack of hooliganism, standard of stadium (though soulless), ability to watch a good game of football on to most days of the week. Progress??

Brilliant post. Football very uncompetitive now and it is sickening post-Heysel that Saints, Ipswich etc bought out of competing for the title but the old stadia were very dangerous with numerous disasters in the 1980s in particular. Also the hooliganism, we get a few idiots invading the pitch now but read the thread on the Leeds away LC semi final 1979. Away games used to be very different. There’s a You Tube of the trouble Saints v Millwall 1986 (it says 1984 but that is wrong), wouldn’t want to go back to all of that nonsense at games.

Miss having to get into the ground about 35-40 mins before kick off to get a decent terrace spot and the inexorable build up of tension and atmosphere between the opposing sets on fans singing their songs before kick off.

Nowadays the ground is empty until 6 minutes before kick off. If you are an Arsenal fan it seems to be still empty 6 minutes after kick off...

Bournemouth being in Division 2 with Steve Fletcher up front.

Good times. I was born and lived 5 minutes away from Dean Court and have great memories of running around unattended with my mates on the terraces back in the day. Raised a Saints fan by my dad and grandpa though, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It was fantastic watching both teams growing up though - proper football.

I’ve never quite been able to fathom this new fangled manufactured rivalry between modern fans of the Saints and Boscombe. It doesn’t ring true, quite plastic.

Tackling

Every game is like a training/testimonial match with no one tackling and every challenge is a foul. Just means the most technically gifted like city can dominate games and there’s nothing smaller clubs can do about it apart from sit deep and hope they miss all of their chances

Good times. I was born and lived 5 minutes away from Dean Court and have great memories of running around unattended with my mates on the terraces back in the day. Raised a Saints fan by my dad and grandpa though, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It was fantastic watching both teams growing up though - proper football.

I’ve never quite been able to fathom this new fangled manufactured rivalry between modern fans of the Saints and Boscombe. It doesn’t ring true, quite plastic.

As you say, just a recent manufactured rivalry by young whippersnappers. Bournemouth has always been home to a lot of Saints supporters, thousands of Southampton folk were evacuated down there in the war, many stayed and no doubt bought their kids up as SFC fans. Most of us are only fond of the place, lovely area, great beach and happy memories from childhood going down in the summer. And chucking money in their buckets to help save them :p

The modern game? Where do you start? The obscene amounts of money paid to footballers and charged to fans. Other than the occasional one-off matches, the sterile atmosphere inside stadiums everywhere, same boring chants, I've even grown to dislike OWTS these days as it's done to death badly and on almost constant repeat by a mostly small crowd of fans in the corner. And I miss the blood-curdling roar that you use to wrap around most stadiums back in the day.

I suppose, apart from Liverpool and Manure there was not such a gap between teams in Division 1 and 2.

Being relegated was not the disaster it is today. In fact it really was an opportunity to rebuild with new young players and keep the team together if they went up.

There was less elitism amongst the supporters. It really was a sport watched by people who were from modest backgrounds. Pay at the turnstile and a Bovril and a Mars bar were a treat!

One of the best rule changes has been banning the keeper picking up a back pass.

Can you remember those games when the away team came to park the bus and repeatedly passed back for the keeper to pick it up, bounce it a couple of times and generally waste time (then repeat the process).

One of the best rule changes has been banning the keeper picking up a back pass.

Can you remember those games when the away team came to park the bus and repeatedly passed back for the keeper to pick it up, bounce it a couple of times and generally waste time (then repeat the process).

I seem to remember that happening for an entire European cup final once (was it red star v Marseille?, maybe steaua?)

Miss having to get into the ground about 35-40 mins before kick off to get a decent terrace spot and the inexorable build up of tension and atmosphere between the opposing sets on fans singing their songs before kick off.

Nowadays the ground is empty until 6 minutes before kick off. If you are an Arsenal fan it seems to be still empty 6 minutes after kick off...

This is a really good point, and something I'd forgotten. I still to this day try and turn up half an hour before, and have recently found myself wondering why when there's nothing but loud music to 'experience' (actually, good excuse to have a chat with my 'seat neighbours' ...). And it's because it was ingrained in me as a kid to make sure I got in early enough to get a spot where I could see, especially important when you're a kid and couldn't see a bl00dy thing for 90 minutes if not.

The atmosphere definitely benefited from this, gave the crowd a good chance to warm their voices up!

Being able to decide on the day to go to a game, pay at the turnstile and know you'd still be able to squeeze a way trough to stand with your mates who would be stood where they always stood.

And buy a Wagon Wheel the size of your face for thrupence ha’penny

When did football train specials end? I can remember the year after we won the Cup, we got drawn against Manure in (I think) the fourth round and, after drawing against them at home, I went to OT with mates on the football special. (We lost 2 - 0) and big Jim Steele got sent off after kicking every Manure player into orbit.)

Also, health & safety : on the Tues (?) night after the Cup Final win, it was Mick Channon's testimonial at the Dell (against QPR) and the there was no breathing room in the Dell as every man in Soton seemed to be there. I think H&S goes overboard aplenty nowadays but it's easy, in hindsight to see how Bradford etc were so fatal with the little concern that was previously displayed.

[tr]

[td]What[/td]

[td]Old footie[/td]

[td]Current footie[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Getting tickets[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Price[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Taxi and walk[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Trouble[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[/tr]

[tr]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Pitch quality[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Media coverage[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Stadia[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Atmosphere[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Players[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Referees[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Sums it all up totally, great post for us 'oldies'

Premiership football is like watching paint dry it's a case of which club has the most investment and can buy the best players and hire the best manager unless you have some rich uncle skeleton in the closet then be prepared to accept mid table or below...

Tackling

Every game is like a training/testimonial match with no one tackling and every challenge is a foul. Just means the most technically gifted like city can dominate games and there’s nothing smaller clubs can do about it apart from sit deep and hope they miss all of their chances

Don’t you mean kicking lumps out of people? Don’t you remember Pele getting kicked out of the World Cup? Thankfully that doesn’t happen so much now.