Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Crimes against humanity, or simple black-market boot-legging?

  1. #1

    Default Crimes against humanity, or simple black-market boot-legging?

    Three men have been jailed for 17 years for making money out of streaming live footie.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47650835

    I'm sure we've all watched streams, which we know are not legitimate, which means we've created the market for this.

    But 5-6 year jail terms? Statutory rape is only 8 years.

    Feels a tad harsh.

    And whilst it isn't a specific Saints related thread, there is a pic of JWP in the article...........

  2. #2

    Default

    Got to protect the money of the rich.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Got to protect the money of the rich.
    Well given the 3 named allegedly made 5m from their steams they are the rich!

    I agree penalties seem disproportionate, but guessing that as well as providing streams they would have been up to other things like laundering the proceeds, which would potentially have affected the term.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,170
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ooh it's a corner View Post
    Three men have been jailed for 17 years for making money out of streaming live footie.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47650835

    I'm sure we've all watched streams, which we know are not legitimate, which means we've created the market for this.

    But 5-6 year jail terms? Statutory rape is only 8 years.

    Feels a tad harsh.

    And whilst it isn't a specific Saints related thread, there is a pic of JWP in the article...........
    It was a business that sold streams to pubs and made them millions. Fair enough sorting your mates out with a stream but they're asking for it with that behaviour.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    It was a business that sold streams to pubs and made them millions. Fair enough sorting your mates out with a stream but they're asking for it with that behaviour.
    They were asking for it. And they did make millions.

    And I am not sympathising with them, but I think it is a long jail sentence. It is one third of the time a Hampshire woman got for murdering her defenseless 3 year old daughter. Just seems harsh (the 6 years, not the 18 )

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,170
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ooh it's a corner View Post
    They were asking for it. And they did make millions.

    And I am not sympathising with them, but I think it is a long jail sentence. It is one third of the time a Hampshire woman got for murdering her defenseless 3 year old daughter. Just seems harsh (the 6 years, not the 18 )
    They will be out in 3 as long as they behave.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,279

    Default

    The main problem is that the price of watching Sky or BT has become nigh on unaffordable for many. Also these providers are so narrow in their match choice offerings usually involving the big clubs.

    Obviously every single match these days is filmed so why can't Sky or PL offer Saints fans for example an affordable package for the season of all 38 Saints matches - similar for other club's fans? I for one would sign up for that even if only to see live the away game coverage. Most would pay 5/10 a match for that surely.

    That would go a long way towards stopping piracy altogether.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    The main problem is that the price of watching Sky or BT has become nigh on unaffordable for many. Also these providers are so narrow in their match choice offerings usually involving the big clubs.

    Obviously every single match these days is filmed so why can't Sky or PL offer Saints fans for example an affordable package for the season of all 38 Saints matches - similar for other club's fans? I for one would sign up for that even if only to see live the away game coverage. Most would pay 5/10 a match for that surely.

    That would go a long way towards stopping piracy altogether.
    Believe Amazon Prime have a deal to show all games live for one game week next season. Can see this becoming the norm in future TV deals.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,200
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    The main problem is that the price of watching Sky or BT has become nigh on unaffordable for many. Also these providers are so narrow in their match choice offerings usually involving the big clubs.

    Obviously every single match these days is filmed so why can't Sky or PL offer Saints fans for example an affordable package for the season of all 38 Saints matches - similar for other club's fans? I for one would sign up for that even if only to see live the away game coverage. Most would pay 5/10 a match for that surely.

    That would go a long way towards stopping piracy altogether.
    because of the outdated view that it will damage attendances and grass-roots football.
    I'd say, in some cases anyway, it's ticket pricing that would affect attendances, not because a game is aired live on TV.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Shirley
    Posts
    1,938

    Default

    I used to work with a guy who was the Treasurer of the Ex-Serviceman's Club in Archers Road.

    They used to show the Sky games for years, paying a couple of hundred quid a year. Then Sky upped the price to 5k.

    Not surprising that pubs went down an alternative route.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking a back seat
    Posts
    11,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    I used to work with a guy who was the Treasurer of the Ex-Serviceman's Club in Archers Road.

    They used to show the Sky games for years, paying a couple of hundred quid a year. Then Sky upped the price to 5k.

    Not surprising that pubs went down an alternative route.
    I don't know what it costs now; but my mate used to run a pub that had Sky and BT. Around 5 or 6 years ago he decided to knock it on the head as the annual cost went over 20K. A ridiculous amount, and smaller pubs really have to consider if they are able to justify those costs, a lot won't be able to.

  12. #12

    Default

    why pay money for streams when there are streams out there for free ....you just gotta look .

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    10,214
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo1976 View Post
    why pay money for streams when there are streams out there for free ....you just gotta look .
    I listen to the wireless. No fee needed for this and excellent commentary.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CHELSEA
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    I just watch SSN, much more entertaining...

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    I listen to the wireless. No fee needed for this and excellent commentary.
    youve already paid for tv broadcasting bbc

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Garden of Engerland
    Posts
    4,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo1976 View Post
    youve already paid for tv broadcasting bbc
    You don't need a tv licence for the radio if you don't want a TV, so it is free.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •