Southampton Player Wages

SNSUN

Shows why there needs to be a refresh on the summer. Too many higher earners that aren’t good enough for starter 11.

Gallagher £40k pw, for that I’d sell him and invest that into someone else for example

I assumed SG was on around 20k.

Still paying below the averaged which is around 80k

Maybe so, but my issue isn't with the actual amounts (galling though they are to the average person in the street), it's more about whether they've earned it. Not one of the 8 top earners (65k +) have actually earned their money this season (You could cut Bertrand and Ings some slack for being injured) and only Redmond from the next 6 on 60k. Again, if I'm being nice I'll cut Davis some slack for being loaned out and running down his contract which he deserves for his years of service.

1 person from our top 14 (15 if you include boufal) actually performing well enough for their money, and 3 you possibly don't mind due to injury /sentiment. From a commercial perspective that's dreadful, and rather explains why we're in the trouble we are.

Be nice to drop the highlighted ones in the summer along with Boufal, Carillo & Claise (saving 750k per week!)...Bring in 6 quality players on top wedge and still save money on wages. Still would leave squad of 20 seniors with space for the youngsters to get minutes. Won't happen of course as no one will pay them the same wedge.

0AQrn1.jpg

If you look at rival squads like Palace, they have a lower total wage bill than us but their top earners earn significantly more than our top earners. Every side needs a star or two (and to be remunerated as such). We’ve opted for quantity over quality and overpaid chasing potential.

Maybe so, but my issue isn't with the actual amounts (galling though they are to the average person in the street), it's more about whether they've earned it. Not one of the 8 top earners (65k +) have actually earned their money this season (You could cut Bertrand and Ings some slack for being injured) and only Redmond from the next 6 on 60k. Again, if I'm being nice I'll cut Davis some slack for being loaned out and running down his contract which he deserves for his years of service.

1 person from our top 14 (15 if you include boufal) actually performing well enough for their money, and 3 you possibly don't mind due to injury /sentiment. From a commercial perspective that's dreadful, and rather explains why we're in the trouble we are.

Actually, think I might have been a touch harsh on Romeu and vesti. There's no way Romeu has offered as much as hoj or JWP but given current football wages he's probably OK. Vesti is overpaid for his contribution so far, but I guess he's improving so might end up being worth it; just looks so incongruous next to bednarek who's been our best defender IMHO ... Vesti earns 3 times as much!! And Stephens over twice as much!!!!!

Lamina? Potentially, but too inconsistent and injured to judge.

An awful lot of waste in there. Targett is a lot for a back-up, Gallagher never plays (not sure why, but fact remains). We have three keepers in a combined 160k. Over 200k on ings, long and Austin who can't score / aren't ever fit. Over 150k on Eli, boufal and Armstrong who have how many assists between them this season?

The list goes on ...

On the plus side, it surely means there's scope to bin off a lot of waste and reinvest more sensibly. With Ralph in I at least have some confidence it will be invested more wisely. Problem is with the length of some of the contracts will take a good couple of years to fully rectify this mess.

If you look at rival squads like Palace, they have a lower total wage bill than us but their top earners earn significantly more than our top earners. Every side needs a star or two (and to be remunerated as such). We’ve opted for quantity over quality and overpaid chasing potential.
Seems that in ths summer we will adopt a similar model, aim to get shot of the overpaid dross that doesn't contribute, replace with some academy prospects on less cash and free up some wages for a couple of big hitters.

Issues will be:

1.) Finding clubs who will buy the dross

2.) Identifying and actually signing the right big hitters.

3.) Ross Wilson

But in theory its the right way to go.

Proof here - if these figures are accurate - that Les had lost his footballing mind. Some of the wages for players who can’t get in the squad never mind the team are mind blowing. I would transfer list them all in the summer bar Gunn, Valery, Bertrand, Yoshida, Romeu, PEH, JWP, Redmond, Obafemi. Ings has probably played enough games already to confirm his transfer. Needs to be enormous surgery in the summer, irrespective of what Adrian says. Watford have turned over 14+ players before successfully so it can be done. Eliminate most of the traces of Reed, Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes. Add to the core above with pace and power. Might have to compromise and have Forster as back up - the day of the extension was obviously one of Les’s especially bad days but Ross should have flagged it to Kreuger and had it stopped. Can’t see anyone paying even half that in wages, not even the top 6 to boost the English numbers as a 3rd or 4th choice a bit like Taylor was for Saints.

It is always a gamble to spend more on a few; If Zaha ever got injured then that gamble has not come off. You are also vulnerable to disharmony in the squad. You are better to have a graded system which we appear to have.

With regards to younger player potential, you have to trust your back room team. Ultimately it is a numbers game - it only takes one Luke Shaw and the policy has paid for its self five times over. I would suspect Valery will be worth £25m one day and at the moment Prowsey probably already is.

Proof here - if these figures are accurate - that Les had lost his footballing mind. Some of the wages for players who can’t get in the squad never mind the team are mind blowing. I would transfer list them all in the summer bar Gunn, Valery, Bertrand, Yoshida, Romeu, PEH, JWP, Redmond, Obafemi. Ings has probably played enough games already to confirm his transfer. Needs to be enormous surgery in the summer, irrespective of what Adrian says. Watford have turned over 14+ players before successfully so it can be done. Eliminate most of the traces of Reed, Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes. Add to the core above with pace and power. Might have to compromise and have Forster as back up - the day of the extension was obviously one of Les’s especially bad days but Ross should have flagged it to Kreuger and had it stopped. Can’t see anyone paying even half that in wages, not even the top 6 to boost the English numbers as a 3rd or 4th choice a bit like Taylor was for Saints.

I am not sure I would agree with you. You have a settled squad that hopefully will finish in the premier league. Why not tinker with it to make it better than take a punt on getting rid of half the squad. Lets face it we are not alone in paying too much for ordinary players. Better the devil you know.

You say in the same post that we should move on these sh1te / overpriced players, but acknowledge that people won't pay those wages. How's that gonna work then?

You say in the same post that we should move on these sh1te / overpriced players, but acknowledge that people won't pay those wages. How's that gonna work then?

Part is mongboard wisdom is the mantra that we should sell him, him and him because he’s sh*t and earns too much ignore the fact that because they are sh*t and earn too much who is going to sign them?

Realistically no premier league club will want Forster, long and Austin and no champions ship club can afford them so it’s not quite as easy as the geniuses on here make out.

I think the answer is to pay them to leave - less than we’d pay them to stay of course, so we’d still “win”.

That won't happen - we'd literally be losing money getting rid of people. It'd cost more to pay up Forster contract than he'd command in a transfer fee. Ditto Austin I suspect, and others.

And if MLG is the source, you are giving that "guess" too much credit.

The wage bill of £113m in 2017/18 means there are going to be a lot of very big wages throughout the club.

Educated guesses can be made by using the £113m total, the rare occasions wages are mentioned in the press and from various industry sources.

How is Gallagher on only 5k less than JWP and how is Jack Stephens on more than JWP. Absolutely crazy

I was listening to Talk Sport last week and they were talking about the financial problems at Birmingham City. Apparently they were actually paying him more than we were to be on loan - football is a mess.

I was listening to Talk Sport last week and they were talking about the financial problems at Birmingham City. Apparently they were actually paying him more than we were to be on loan - football is a mess.

No wonder they are in a pickle...........smacks of good old Arrys magic touch on the company wallet too.

These figures are exactly the same as Football Manager 2019, make of that what you will.

I already explained what to make of it. The website has copied my FM19 guesses. I'm probably very wrong on many players but it isn't easy to guess at player wages for Saints as they rarely are in the press and just working off the total club wage bill of £113m.

It's ludicrous how much money footballers make. Even a guy like Gallagher who has barely played for the first team and doesn't often feature for the U23s gets 40K a week to train and sit on the bench or in the stands.

Yeah, but that's not his fault, though. He is fit and available to play, just the manager doesn't select him. We can't offer zero hours contracts!

Yeah, but that's not his fault, though. He is fit and available to play, just the manager doesn't select him. We can't offer zero hours contracts!

I get that. It just seems crazy. I'm sure he'd love to be playing. The salaries at the top end of world football are absolutely ludicrous. For someone to get paid per week what many don't earn in a lifetime is beyond crazy.