Brighton 0 Saints 1 - Post Match Celebrations

St Chalet

Without counting our chickens, on the last day we're at home to Huddersfield whereas Cardiff are away to Man Utd so we should get 3 points more than them that day.

That puts us 8 points ahead with only 6 games in between.

I can't see Cardiff making up 8 points and a 15 goal swing in GD in 6 games on us...

Without counting our chickens, on the last day we're at home to Huddersfield whereas Cardiff are away to Man Utd so we should get 3 points more than them that day.

I can't see Cardiff making up 8 points and a 15 goal swing in GD in 6 games on us...

It makes sense but Huddersfield have no pressure now while Utd could have a champions league final on the mind.

Vital win and things look a bit nicer down there now. The goal itself was very similar to a goal by RBL that was linked when RH was appointed. Let the opposition pass around and then close down quick when it gets tight, and spring forward at pace. Goal.

Bit rocky at the end but again we see it out. Bring on Liverpool, most likely lose but anything else is a massive bonus!

I couldn’t get a thread to work so was relying on here and Sky Soccer Saturday, just made me smile as Matty was on the Man U v Watford game, so he was commentating Watford’s last minute free kick. The free kick came to nowt ref in that game blew, no sooner had he said “that’s it game over” in the last bit of breath he cheers the final whistle in our game rather enthusiastically before Stelling could say anything.

Edited by John Boy Saint
fat fingers everywhere and applemakeyoulookatitautocorrect everywhere!

I couldn’t get. Thread to work so was relying on here and Sky Soccer Saturday, just made me smile as Marty was on the man U v Watford game, so he was comentating Watford’s last minute free kick. The free kick came to nowt ref in that game blew, no sooner had he said “that’s it game over” in the last bit of breath he cheers the final whistle in our game rather enthusiastically before Stelling can say anything.

Charlie Nicholas was watching Brighton/Saints and in traditional fashion suddenly shouted "GOOAALLLLL!"

An arm started waving hysterically, visible to the extreme left of the screen, gave a small clue which way it had gone..... :D

Plus we have Bournemouth and Wolves home - not easy but certainly you’d expect a bit more hunger from the team to win those. West Ham away not impossible to get something either.

Only gimme Cardiff have is Fulham home and that’s a few games away, inbetween what they have is nasty. Chelsea today are unpredictable - Cardiff could turn them over, but the long term injuries to key players is hurting them.

Saints aren't going down, forget that. Much easier run in and a better side than Cardiff, Burnley, or Brighton.

Last 20 mins was hard work yesterday. Squeaky bum time as Brighton threw everything at us. That was always going to happen, as they are fighting for survival now.

I thought Stephens did well when he came on. Quite a few important interceptions. He has had a rough few months so good to rebuild his confidence. We are an injury away from needing him.

Armstrong had a great game as did all the midfielders. Romeo put his body on the line in every tackle. Unsung hero.

Gallagher was told to be a nuisance and he was. I rate Dale Stephens and he actually had to do some work for the last 15 mins.

However standout for me was Sims. Only on the pitch for a short while but he looked the business, and was causing a lot of problems.

So next year buy Dale Stephens (or similar) one or two strikers, a back up RB and we are sorted. Maybe RH will take a look at Carillo.

I feel a lot better than a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Its away to Fulham......so might be a bit tougher for them

Fulham need to turn up wherever it is - and on the evidence of yesterday (I know it was City) Cardiff would be favourites.

Still, if Saints keep this up it should all be academic anyway. Vital 3 points yesterday, pretty goal but not a pretty game. Saints better first half, Brighton threw everything at it last 30. Bar Montoya’s shot, not that many clear cut chances but the back four and Gunn absorbed the pressure really well.

Saints aren't going down, forget that. Much easier run in and a better side than Cardiff, Burnley, or Brighton.

Last 20 mins was hard work yesterday. Squeaky bum time as Brighton threw everything at us. That was always going to happen, as they are fighting for survival now.

I thought Stephens did well when he came on. Quite a few important interceptions. He has had a rough few months so good to rebuild his confidence. We are an injury away from needing him.

Armstrong had a great game as did all the midfielders. Romeo put his body on the line in every tackle. Unsung hero.

Gallagher was told to be a nuisance and he was. I rate Dale Stephens and he actually had to do some work for the last 15 mins.

However standout for me was Sims. Only on the pitch for a short while but he looked the business, and was causing a lot of problems.

So next year buy Dale Stephens (or similar) one or two strikers, a back up RB and we are sorted. Maybe RH will take a look at Carillo.

I feel a lot better than a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

From the Brighton fans at the game yesterday, they’d love for us to buy Stephens. He was getting plenty of abuse. We can do better (and frankly it’s not a position of need).

Fulham need to turn up wherever it is - and on the evidence of yesterday (I know it was City) Cardiff would be favourites.

Still, if Saints keep this up it should all be academic anyway. Vital 3 points yesterday, pretty goal but not a pretty game. Saints better first half, Brighton threw everything at it last 30. Bar Montoya’s shot, not that many clear cut chances but the back four and Gunn absorbed the pressure really well.

Only saw the highlights to MOTD but there was a worrying spillage from a cross. McCarthy or Forster would have been given relentless flak for that.

Only saw the highlights to MOTD but there was a worrying spillage from a cross. McCarthy or Forster would have been given relentless flak for that.
Yes he shouldn't have come for that cross, too far out. Almost resulted in a pen to Brighton.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

From the Brighton fans at the game yesterday, they’d love for us to buy Stephens. He was getting plenty of abuse. We can do better (and frankly it’s not a position of need).

Remembering him from his loan spell here in 2011, nothing about him then told me he would ever be able to play in the top flight. Fair play to him for making the most of his ability but, wouldn't improve us.

Remembering him from his loan spell here in 2011, nothing about him then told me he would ever be able to play in the top flight. Fair play to him for making the most of his ability but, wouldn't improve us.

I have no memory of his loan spell here and I'm Aspergers so I usually remember pretty much everything. (#playingthecard). I knew the name and knew he'd been with us in some way shape or form but I actually thought he was one that came out of our academy and left having made the odd cup appearance here and there.

I mainly remember him from a midweek trip to Rochdale, where he was completely outclassed in the middle and we lost. That was a crap away day, didn't even make it to a pub.

I mainly remember him from a midweek trip to Rochdale, where he was completely outclassed in the middle and we lost. That was a crap away day, didn't even make it to a pub.

Spent the night in the 24hr Tesco Superstore. Not one of our finest awaydays.

You rate Gallagher and want Ralph to give Carillo a chance!! Made me smile broadly....

You rate Gallagher and want Ralph to give Carillo a chance!! Made me smile broadly....

Where did I say I rated Gallagher, you utter clown? Perhaps Ralph could run the rule over Carrillo when we are relying on options like Gallagher and he’s got more out of our players than previous managers. Of course, it remains a pretty damning assessment of our transfer record and squad depth that I’m even saying this as I’ve always maintained Carrillo’s shown very little and to date goes down as one of our worst signings ever. Needless to say, you’re likely too dim to understand that there’s no contradiction between the two statements.

Edited by shurlock

Seems that quite a few on here take no pride in our youngsters making it to the first team at all. "Not good enough" "Championship players" "Send them out on loan" "Get rid of" etc.

I for one am delighted that the club were able to include 7 former academy players in the match day squad, 6 of whom played a part in the 1-0 win. I doubt that any other premiership (or even Championship) club can boast of such a percentage of players taking part. These are still young players who will undoubtedly improve if given game time. Embrace and encourage them rather than wishing to discard them.

I think the lead in both McCarthy and Forster's boots would have prevented them from even attempting to come and take that cross, tbf.

I think the lead in both McCarthy and Forster's boots would have prevented them from even attempting to come and take that cross, tbf.

Forster I'd agree on, it must be difficult to get that spring and lift to collect the ball when it appears you're playing in wellies most of the time.

Bit unfair on McCarthy who once he came into the team last season showed a willingness to come for crosses. Perhaps Watson has coached that out of him since then though.

Seems that quite a few on here take no pride in our youngsters making it to the first team at all. "Not good enough" "Championship players" "Send them out on loan" "Get rid of" etc.

I for one am delighted that the club were able to include 7 former academy players in the match day squad, 6 of whom played a part in the 1-0 win. I doubt that any other premiership (or even Championship) club can boast of such a percentage of players taking part. These are still young players who will undoubtedly improve if given game time. Embrace and encourage them rather than wishing to discard them.

Couldn't agree more. Really unhealthy hostility on here to our own players, I keep thinking it must be fans from down the road, not our own.

You have a point but JWP and Valery are the only two I actually take pride in seeing play.

Gallagher really isn't a Premier League player and will probably end up in League 1.

Targett is alright as back-up but that really is a kind way of saying he's a Championship player. May well end up at Fulham afterall.

Sims looked good against Spurs but has been very much hit and miss and needs to do something consistently.

They're the only academy players I can think of in the squad. You can't count Stephens, he was 17/18 when he joined us and had already made first team appearances for Plymouth. That's 5 academy players, 3 of which would be nowhere near our squad if the other options we have weren't so poor.

Totally on the money. It infuriates me seeing our players get slated in here. The academy is one reason why we differentiate ourselves from the tedious top six.

You have a point but JWP and Valery are the only two I actually take pride in seeing play.

Gallagher really isn't a Premier League player and will probably end up in League 1.

Targett is alright as back-up but that really is a kind way of saying he's a Championship player. May well end up at Fulham afterall.

Sims looked good against Spurs but has been very much hit and miss and needs to do something consistently.

They're the only academy players I can think of in the squad. You can't count Stephens, he was 17/18 when he joined us and had already made first team appearances for Plymouth. That's 5 academy players, 3 of which would be nowhere near our squad if the other options we have weren't so poor.

Agree with your comments - yet hard on Josh Sims; that half he played v Spurs was exceptional and by any measure, even with tactical considerations he should have been rewarded on merit with more playing time. Difficult to "do something consistently" if you turn in a match changing performance one week and barely feature the next (game.

Agree with your comments - yet hard on Josh Sims; the half he played v Spurs was exceptional and by any measure, even with tactical considerations he should have been rewarded on merit with more playing time. Difficult to "do something consistently" if you turn in a match changing performance one week and barely feature the next (game).

Absolutely.

And anyone sticking up for Gallagher; sorry, but he's not a Premier League footballer. He's better than we all are at football, granted, but I think we've seen his level; which is lower than Saints are at.

I have no memory of his loan spell here and I'm Aspergers so I usually remember pretty much everything. (#playingthecard). I knew the name and knew he'd been with us in some way shape or form but I actually thought he was one that came out of our academy and left having made the odd cup appearance here and there.

He was here during the ‘Sash’ season I believe.

Really nothing special, always thought he was a more limited version of Dean Hammond. Really surprised he’s made it to the PL bit fair play to the lad.

Where did I say I rated Gallagher, you utter clown? Perhaps Ralph could run the rule over Carrillo when we are relying on options like Gallagher and he’s got more out of our players than previous managers. Of course, it remains a pretty damning assessment of our transfer record and squad depth that I’m even saying this as I’ve always maintained Carrillo’s shown very little and to date goes down as one of our worst signings ever. Needless to say, you’re likely too dim to understand that there’s no contradiction between the two statements.

You are an extremely rude bitter individual.

I thought we'd draw this.

So this result was a surprise and a massive boost.

To get 6 points from the last two games is massive and probably does it for us, I didn't see that happening when we lost to Cardiff at home!

I think we only need 1 win from our remaining 6. Maybe 1 win and a draw at a push, but it's fine.

Agree with your comments - yet hard on Josh Sims; that half he played v Spurs was exceptional and by any measure, even with tactical considerations he should have been rewarded on merit with more playing time. Difficult to "do something consistently" if you turn in a match changing performance one week and barely feature the next (game.

I said he was very good (although I think exceptional is going a bit OTT) what I said is he will have to do it consistently. A couple of assists 2 years ago are about all he’s really got to go on before that.

I thought we'd draw this.

So this result was a surprise and a massive boost.

To get 6 points from the last two games is massive and probably does it for us, I didn't see that happening when we lost to Cardiff at home!

I think we only need 1 win from our remaining 6. Maybe 1 win and a draw at a push, but it's fine.

That f*cking game. I still don't think I've recovered from that game.

I thought we'd totally blown it around that time.

That f*cking game. I still don't think I've recovered from that game.

I thought we'd totally blown it around that time.

I know eh, had we just held on for the draw we’d be 8pts clear of them now and safe. Hopefully we can get more points on the board soon and they don’t fluke a win vs City.

I know eh, had we just held on for the draw we’d be 8pts clear of them now and safe. Hopefully we can get more points on the board soon and they don’t fluke a win vs City.

I think that game followed on from when we'd drawn with Palace & then conceded the penalty in the 94th min to Burnley.

To concede another meant we'd only taken 2pts from Palace / Burnley / Cardiff.