Saints vs Liverpool Build-up

SuperSAINT

Martin, Kirkup, Hollywood, Fisher, McGrath, Gabriel, Paine, Channon, Davies, O'Neil, Jenkins.

In a fantasy world of time travel and nonesense, If for one game only that was our allowed team for Friday night, the game would be abandoned by half time as we would be down to 8 men through red cards. That said we would have put a kink in Liverpool’s title bid as most of their team would be in tattered bits all over the pitch.

in the real world: come on Saints just get our weekend off to a cracking start.

If we win this and Cardiff lose the next two, we're basically safe however that's three very big IFs. I reckon we might need at least six more points. Even with the players Cardiff have available, they still look compact, well organised and hard to beat. I think they might do better in this "nightmare run" than everyone thinks.

If we win this and Cardiff lose the next two, we're basically safe however that's three very big IFs. I reckon we might need at least six more points. Even with the players Cardiff have available, they still look compact, well organised and hard to beat. I think they might do better in this "nightmare run" than everyone thinks.
Assuming they don't overturn our 16 goal difference advantage, Cardiff to get 12 points from seven matches. Basically top 7 form. Okay.

Cardiff certainly looked good against Chelsea & even amongst their tough fixtures, they still have Burnley / Brighton / Fulham / Palace to play.

Would be a big boost if Van Dijk is out injured, would rather not play against him, can't stand the bloke, although Liverpool could probably rest him anyway as we don't have any strikers. They've got champions league 1/4 final a few days later as well.

Would be a big boost if Van Dijk is out injured, would rather not play against him, can't stand the bloke, although Liverpool could probably rest him anyway as we don't have any strikers. They've got champions league 1/4 final a few days later as well.

It sure would be a boost, especially if they bring Lovren in, we wind him up and he gets a red card, that would make it interesting :)

Everything will be unbearable if Liverpool win the league. The way they are talked about in the media you'd think they'd won stuff in recent seasons. Just get the feeling with all these late goals and luck that they will do it.

Would absolutely love it if we beat them. Even a draw would feel like a win in this one. Just hope the players are up for it.

A lot of work to be done, but Ralph starting to get the best out of our limited squad.

Saints 2-1 Liverpool (Mane 17, Hojbjerg 43, Redmond 79)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Cardiff certainly looked good against Chelsea & even amongst their tough fixtures, they still have Burnley / Brighton / Fulham / Palace to play.

They do but all these games except Palace are away. In fact 5 of their last 7 are away. Burnley will be a big game for both sides, Brighton could be as well. They were unlucky yesterday, can’t despute that, but let’s be honest Chelsea were crap, they obviously hate the manager and only played for about 25 mins.

Edited by beatlesaint

The thought of us of all teams to be the ones to derail them so late in the season makes me salivate. I'd bloomin' love it if we could hinder them. Hope we make it extremely difficult for them. Assuming Cardiff lose at City, it's a free hit.

Don't expect anything from this but we're on form and have shown we can stop the top 6 sides now, fingers well and truely crossed.

Cardiff certainly looked good against Chelsea

Did they?

They parked the bus at home, Chelsea were just awful, slow and ponderous.

Both teams were horrendously boring to watch. One played not to lose at all costs and had 10 men behind the ball almost always, and the other as far as I could tell was playing for a high pass completion stat.

They might have Burnley, Brighton, Fulham and Palace to play, but to win those games they need to score goals, and IIRC, only the Palace game is at home and Cardiff are terrible away as well. Plus Palace are better away from home and Cardiff will have to try to win that game.

Liverpool for is a complete free hit, Cardiff will lose at City, apparently he's playing the kids vs them anyway. So we'll still be 5 points ahead of them come Friday and Liverpool are not exactly free flowing at the moment. Lots of draws and narrow late wins, so there is a chance we could get something.

If we play like we did against Spurs 2nd half or vs Utd or Arsenal I think we could beat them.

How much extra prize money do you get for each league position? Might be an incentive for Ralph if he's promised the funds to strengthen his squad.

It's around £2m per place.

Virgil apparently a slight doubt for the match?

He was definitely limping towards the end of the game yesterday. Hopefully it keeps him out until July. :twisted:

In a fantasy world of time travel and nonesense, If for one game only that was our allowed team for Friday night, the game would be abandoned by half time as we would be down to 8 men through red cards. That said we would have put a kink in Liverpool’s title bid as most of their team would be in tattered bits all over the pitch.

in the real world: come on Saints just get our weekend off to a cracking start.

Ha ha - Loved watching that team....

Having watched the game last night and seeing Spurs throw away the match, I am certain we will cause them problems. They haven’t played that well for a few weeks and have been getting a lot of luck. We will be bang up for it, Ralph will be up for it and the stadium will be up for it. City should win and be 2 points clear again and Liverpool will have to go for it. That plays into our hands. They’ll be nervy. It’s going to be a hard game no doubt but we can cause an upset. It has the potential to be a special night!

Hope we go for it with 4 at the back rather than inviting on their fullbacks by going with a five.
Or perhaps Ralph could pull a tactical rabbit out of the hutch and play a 5-3-2 but, given our lack of striking options, have Redmond and Sims as a false front two stationed high and wide to keep their fullbacks in place.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Friday Night under lights: Check

vs Liverpool: Check

Live on TV: Check

Bicycle Kick Goal: Possibly

Inspiration from 1984...

Think that was the first ever televised match on a Friday night - straight on the lash right after!

Little more than a thousand scousers there that night.

I thought the 3-2 coming from 2 down was the karma we so deserved.

I thought beating them in the semi final in true sh*t house manner was one better.

But this, the timing is set up for us of all teams to complete the hattrick of injustice, will perhaps be the sweetest of them all.

It would be simply too delicious to comprehend.

Harking back to the famous TV match win

Liverpool had an equivalent (top class) lineup and we had to field a number of inexperienced youngsters but won quite comfortably.

That said I expect Liverpool to score early on and cruise to a comfortable 3-0 win this time.

Wouldnt it be good though to get one or even 3 points!!!

There goals our goal difference advantage!

Would love even a draw as I despise that we are basically their feeder club,

but I think we are going to get a reality check! Liverpool 5 saints 1

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Does your user name refer to the team at that time or you? :-)

Or both?

Just the team - that's when I first started going regular. When I signed up to this forum I was going to pay homage to and name myself after the 'Alehouse Brawlers' but around that time a few on here were getting a bit agitated with any posts refering to the 'bad old days' so I thought it best to tone it down a bit as a newbie! :lol:

Tricky one to plan for a result. We could park the bus and try and nick it 1:0, but probably lose 2:0. Alternatively we could go for it and win 3:2 or get spanked 5:0. I guess I would err on the cautious side as I wouldn't want our GD too damaged. It is currently worth an extra point versus Cardiff.

I guess I would err on the cautious side as I wouldn't want our GD too damaged. It is currently worth an extra point versus Cardiff.

They are away at Citeh tomorrow night, and Warnock has already said he will play mostly U23s.

Liverpool could beat us 10-0 and we would still have a very healthy GD advantage over Cardiff.

I want to believe and I would love to see grown victim tears on sky sports at the end of the game, but it simply won’t happen.

An easy 3-0 win for them. If we had an alright back 4/5 I’d give us a chance, but not with what we’ve got.

They've lost an edge over recent weeks, sort of scraping results whilst not firing on all cylinders. Which unfortunately is the sign of a good team, still picking up the points whilst dropping their levels slightly.

It doesn't mean much though as they will still have miles and miles too much for us, we can only really hold out hope for a tiny bit of luck on the night and see if we can get a point from that.

I want to believe and I would love to see grown victim tears on sky sports at the end of the game, but it simply won’t happen.

An easy 3-0 win for them. If we had an alright back 4/5 I’d give us a chance, but not with what we’ve got.

Head says a reality check as they are so pacy up front as we know, and i cannot see us getting the luck as we did with Spurs; heart says we keep it tight and snatch a draw or even a 2 goal win, it is actually more conceivable now given our gradual increase in form and confidence. All we can do is get behind the team and keep singing!

How long will Milner be on the pitch before committing yet another red card foul to which the Ref will be blind. With the amount of foreign players now in English (UK) football it's about time we appointed some foreign 'neutral' Refs. As we saw on Monday. Our Officials appear to favour the upper echelon teams and we in the lower regions suffer because of this. Like many posters I believe we can do this. COYS

I thought the 3-2 coming from 2 down was the karma we so deserved.

I thought beating them in the semi final in true sh*t house manner was one better.

But this, the timing is set up for us of all teams to complete the hattrick of injustice, will perhaps be the sweetest of them all.

It would be simply too delicious to comprehend.

nice post. Even a draw might be enough to give the title to City, but a win...now that really would be poetry in motion.

Travelling up from Cornwall for this one. 4th time this season and only seen us gain 1 point so far in a drab 0-0 against Newcastle under Hughes. Said I won’t be bothering again after that but Ralph reignited my enthusiasm enough to do the 8 hour round trip to see us get beat by West Ham & Cardiff!!

Would be fantastic to derail the scousers as I hate them as much as the next man and would make all the effort worth it but can’t help but think I’m more likely a long and miserable drive home again afterwards. It’s the hope that gets you...

Don't see Ings in the pictures either, so I guess its correct he isn't playing. Probably want to bring him along slowly.

That could be why Ralph put in Gallagher vs Brighton instead of Austin. He knew Ings wasn't going to play, and needed Austin to put in a longer shift?

Don't see Ings in the pictures either, so I guess its correct he isn't playing. Probably want to bring him along slowly.

That could be why Ralph put in Gallagher vs Brighton instead of Austin. He knew Ings wasn't going to play, and needed Austin to put in a longer shift?

Ings can’t play as Liverpool are still his parent club until we buy him in the summer :)

Lemina not in the training pics. Wonder if he is injured again?

I had expected him to make the bench on Saturday if he was fit.

No sign of Vestergaard either.

Good to see Aaron O’Driscoll & Klarer training with the first team.