Saints vs Liverpool Build-up

SuperSAINT

the team I would play, think a back 3 again to keep it compact against the pace that is Salah and Mane.

Gunn

---------Yoshida Bednarek Vestergaard

Valery--- --Romeu----------PEH--------Bertrand

-------------JWP-----------Armstrong----------

-------------------Redmond--------------------------

a 3421. However, if no Vestergaard then 4 at the back with Sims on and go for it.

I am a little concerned that we will pay them too much respect as we did in the first half against Spurs, and also that we will repeat the tactic of playing a sack of potatoes up front against a very mobile Liverpool defence. Given that it could be viewed as a free hit I would not be too disappointed if we went for it in the same way as we did second half against Spurs. How about

Gunn

Val Jan Yoshi Bertie

JWP Hoj Rom

Redders Long/Armstrong Sims

Austin shouldn’t be anywhere the starting 11, and only used in the last 10 if absolutely necessary. What’s happened to Ings then? Need to try and stay in the game for as long as possible. I’m fearing us being 0-2 down after 20 minutes and that basically being that.

Austin shouldn’t be anywhere the starting 11, and only used in the last 10 if absolutely necessary. What’s happened to Ings then? Need to try and stay in the game for as long as possible. I’m fearing us being 0-2 down after 20 minutes and that basically being that.

Ings cannot be selected against his parent club. If we are 0-2 down in the first 20 I would not be surprised- disappointed yes but let’s not forget that they are a good side that have put better than us to the sword this season. A draw would be a very good outcome for us and would put a dent in their title chase.

They are away at Citeh tomorrow night, and Warnock has already said he will play mostly U23s.

Liverpool could beat us 10-0 and we would still have a very healthy GD advantage over Cardiff.

I don't think for a moment Warnock was serious about the U23s

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I really want to get a result in this one a win would be bloody amazing but in reality a draw would be great for us and most likely **** up their title chances. A tight 2-2 with us scoring an equaliser on 90 + 4 ,with the last kick of the game, would be a good start to the weekend.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Paul Tierney on the whistle for this one bit of a mixed bag, but the only win he has officiated over involving Saints was the 4-0 win for us away at Sunderland. More recently he was the ref to allow Kompany to robustly deliver a studs up 2 footed tackle on a Saints player and only get a Yellow, and in the same game couldn't wait to get the Red card out for PEH's similar challenge.

Also we will have the pleasure of the blind Lino Mr Burt running one of the lines, he who wrongly flagged Gabbi's opener off in the EFL final, in thinking Bertie scored.

Think he was also the ref that gave Citeh and extra half an hour to score their winner in our spirited game away last season................... oh boy we are in trouble, Mr Graham Scott is the 4th Official, he who in the Everton game looked to book the whole of the Itchen Chapel corner for questioning his decision against us then played 9 minutes of made up added time in the same game.

Edited by John Boy Saint

Paul Tierney on the whistle for this one bit of a mixed bag, but the only win he has officiated over involving Saints was the 4-0 win for us away at Sunderland. More recently he was the ref to allow Kompany to robustly deliver a studs up 2 footed tackle on a Saints player and only get a Yellow, and in the same game couldn't wait to get the Red card out for PEH's similar challenge.

Also we will have the pleasure of the blind Lino Mr Burt running one of the lines, he who wrongly flagged Gabbi's opener off in the EFL final, in thinking Bertie scored.

Think he was also the ref that gave Citeh and extra half an hour to score their winner in our spirited game away last season................... oh boy we are in trouble, Mr Graham Scott is the 4th Official, he who in the Everton game looked to book the whole of the Itchen Chapel corner for questioning his decision against us then played 9 minutes of made up added time in the same game.

All noted but the bigger issue is their front 3 vs our back 3. Plus their defence against our "attack". And their midfield against ours. The officials are the least of our concerns.

I don't think for a moment Warnock was serious about the U23s

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah, probably right. I'm just mindful that we put out a weakened team against them at home in December, knowing full well we wouldn't win, in order to rest key players for a more winnable game.

But even with them playing they play their first 11 (and with Aguero being out injured), I would say the chances of them having significantly improved their GD over us by 10pm on Friday are pretty minimal.

The officials will be suitably briefed to ensure the "desired" outcome for the important club

The officials will be suitably briefed to ensure the "desired" outcome for the important club

This doesn't really work as a conspiracy as Man City would prefer us to win. So would they want Liverpool or Man City to benefit?

The officials are incompetent to all... it is just more memorable when it happens to your own club

This doesn't really work as a conspiracy as Man City would prefer us to win. So would they want Liverpool or Man City to benefit?

The officials are incompetent to all... it is just more memorable when it happens to your own club

They want Liverpool to win as do the media, in particular Sky so the can launch a new channel "Sky Sports Liverpool"

They want Liverpool to win as do the media, in particular Sky so the can launch a new channel "Sky Sports Liverpool"

I thought that's what Sky Sports channels morphed into automatically already when there is no live sport to be shown, with a brief sprinkling of Man U as an intermission. :D

Weird game this. It's a free card to have a go at them (although I actually wouldn't mind setting up for a draw).

I just hope people don't start writing the 'we were awful' drivel. Liverpool are an excellent team and I fully expect us to get hammered so I won't be disappointed if we don't grab at least a point.

Having said that I genuinely think we can beat them, if we set up right with good subs and attack the ball we can give any teams in the league a quality game in current form.

We almost had United for God's sake. And beat Arsenal and Spurs since RH came in.

But it's a free card this.

Losing does nothing to our survival hopes given that our run-in (especially with Liverpool out the way) is damned easier than the others.

Ings cannot be selected against his parent club. If we are 0-2 down in the first 20 I would not be surprised- disappointed yes but let’s not forget that they are a good side that have put better than us to the sword this season. A draw would be a very good outcome for us and would put a dent in their title chase.

Of course, can't believe i asked that - thanks.

Ive had a strong feeling for a while now that we will beat Liverpool and scupper their title chance. Call it retrospective payback for the player pillaging!

Who would you rather they go to? It doesn’t matter really does it. Saints got good money. We didn’t spend it well though did we? Not Liverpools fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure that Ings can play against his own club whilst on loan...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

why did agree to a loan with a guaranteed £20m transfer after the first year? Why not just buy him then he's be available for the two Liverpool games? If it was about delaying the transfer payment, could a staggered payment process not have been negotiated as part of the transfer fee, or do clubs have to pay half up front and the other half after one year?

why did agree to a loan with a guaranteed £20m transfer after the first year? Why not just buy him then he's be available for the two Liverpool games? If it was about delaying the transfer payment, could a staggered payment process not have been negotiated as part of the transfer fee, or do clubs have to pay half up front and the other half after one year?

We're talking about Les here; a man who once hired the wrong manager but rather than sack him tried to cover it up by paying £19m for a Sunday League striker, then sacked him anyway.

Little of the Ings deal made any sense to me and I'm still none the wiser. Stinks of deadline day desperation to me.

It was all about when the deal was accounted for, and therefore the amortisation (depreciation) of his value started to be registered as a cost in the accounts.

There was talk a while ago that there might have been a get-out clause for us if he was unavailable for a certain percentage of our games due to injury, but that was rubbished recently.

You would never guess though :lol:

One of the worst for this is Andy Townsend. Really liked him as a Saints player, but when he does the co-commentary he has nothing good to say about us. Did something happen between Saints and him for him to not like us?

One of the worst for this is Andy Townsend. Really liked him as a Saints player, but when he does the co-commentary he has nothing good to say about us. Did something happen between Saints and him for him to not like us?

I’m pretty sure I read a few years back that there was an issue between him and the club but can’t remember what it was.

I am a little concerned that we will pay them too much respect as we did in the first half against Spurs, and also that we will repeat the tactic of playing a sack of potatoes up front against a very mobile Liverpool defence. Given that it could be viewed as a free hit I would not be too disappointed if we went for it in the same way as we did second half against Spurs. How about

Gunn

Val Jan Yoshi Bertie

JWP Hoj Rom

Redders Long/Armstrong Sims

Agree entirely. Will be frustrated if it's Austin or Long isolated up front with no impact while we sit deep to try and absorb the pressure. Hoping Ralph will deploy Redmond, Armstrong and Sims as a mobile trio to keep their defenders under some pressure.

I remember him as he stopped playing well and was obviously angling for a move, or at least that was my opinion at the time. We took him out of non-league football but I've never heard him mention us once. Mind you, not having a TV means I may have missed the occasion!

Who would you rather they go to? It doesn’t matter really does it. Saints got good money. We didn’t spend it well though did we? Not Liverpools fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F*ck off

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwij6Nbb4rXhAhU1AGMBHQguATUQzPwBegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2017%2F06%2F07%2Fliverpool-end-virgil-van-dijk-interest-andapologise-southampton%2F&psig=AOvVaw3B2XXeQ82CTUvZZ30q9Fpg&ust=1554444383501090

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40194862

Really hope Man City win the league.

I have no ill thoughts toward VVD. He had a job an did everything to secure a bigger and better job. I'd have done the same and I actually have an affiliation to the club, he didn't.

Don't forget that he's a player in this generation of agent greediness, he'd have probably been advised to do most of the things he did to get his move.

Edited by Instant Classic

I have no ill thoughts toward VVD. He had a job an did everything to secure a bigger and better job. I'd have done the same and I actually have an affiliation to the club, he didn't.

Don't forget that he's a player in this generation of agent greediness, he'd have probably been advised to do most of the things he did to get his move.

He may be a player in a generation of agent greediness but he's also a rational, intelligent human being who will know that a lot of what he did was immoral and unethical. Even if I wanted a move to another club protecting my reputation in the process of getting what I wanted is far more important to me than anything else, but obviously not for him.

And let's add in "my head is in Liverpool" Lovren and Nivea boy Lallana to the mix. Two other well-conducted transfers where the players did everything they could to secure a big and better job. There's 3 good reasons to dislike L'pool right now and wish, and hope, we can derail their title bid.

If there is a god he will make sure city win the league.

He may be a player in a generation of agent greediness but he's also a rational, intelligent human being who will know that a lot of what he did was immoral and unethical. Even if I wanted a move to another club protecting my reputation in the process of getting what I wanted is far more important to me than anything else, but obviously not for him.

And let's add in "my head is in Liverpool" Lovren and Nivea boy Lallana to the mix. Two other well-conducted transfers where the players did everything they could to secure a big and better job. There's 3 good reasons to dislike L'pool right now and wish, and hope, we can derail their title bid.

If there is a god he will make sure city win the league.

Well said. All 3 of em deserve every bit of abuse that's coming for em on Friday, and I can't wait to give it.

I'd rather not give the ex players abuse because:

1 - They won't care

2 - They will have the last laugh as they will win

3 - It makes us look pretty small time. We've lost some players. We always will. Get over it

1. Lovern and Lallana have both buckled under the abuse at St Mary's, lovren was actually taken off because he couldn't deal with it.

2. Maybe but i'm sick of our weird happy clapper fanbase that seem to hero worship ex players, including ones that have actively f*cked our club over, it's genuinely embarrassing to see some of the love ins and sums up modern football.

3. Yeah we'll always lose players you're right, we always did. But it's about how they go. As long as i've been going some players have got dogs ear abuse everytime they've come back, others haven't, if you can't see the difference between the way rat face, lovren and vvd acted and the way other players have than you're seriously naive.

St Mary's in general is far, far too nice for visiting teams, the few times we've actually shown up and had a go at the opposition players (and support) it's generally worked to our favour.

In the past players said they hated coming to the Dell because of the abuse they got, and it definitely won us points we wouldn't have had otherwise, god knows what happened to that support because now people seem to think we have to be liked by everyone and barely raise a peep, let alone hurl abuse.

1. Lovern and Lallana have both buckled under the abuse at St Mary's, lovren was actually taken off because he couldn't deal with it.

2. Maybe but i'm sick of our weird happy clapper fanbase that seem to hero worship ex players, including ones that have actively f*cked our club over, it's genuinely embarrassing to see some of the love ins and sums up modern football.

3. Yeah we'll always lose players you're right, we always did. But it's about how they go. As long as i've been going some players have got dogs ear abuse everytime they've come back, others haven't, if you can't see the difference between the way rat face, lovren and vvd acted and the way other players have than you're seriously naive.

St Mary's in general is far, far too nice for visiting teams, the few times we've actually shown up and had a go at the opposition players (and support) it's generally worked to our favour.

In the past players said they hated coming to the Dell because of the abuse they got, and it definitely won us points we wouldn't have had otherwise, god knows what happened to that support because now people seem to think we have to be liked by everyone and barely raise a peep, let alone hurl abuse.

Fair point regarding Lovren and Lallana. I'm up for making St Marys intimidating, but I don't mean singing "we f**king hate you", which is rather cringe worthy.

I guess I don't get too upset at players leaving. Apparently the players you mention left in a bad way, but I probably didn't take it personally enough to be bothered or to remember what they did. It has and always will happen. Some players will feel like they need to act in certain ways to get the move that they want.