Danny Rose

whelk

What do people think about his comments about can’t wait to be out of football?

Genuinely haven’t heard any racist abuse at Saints games for years so assumed not an issue.

Media loves to have a new angle at any time but I seem to be missing something.

Eastern European countries have a problem but how often is he playing there?

What do people think about his comments about can’t wait to be out of football?

Genuinely haven’t heard any racist abuse at Saints games for years so assumed not an issue.

Media loves to have a new angle at any time but I seem to be missing something.

Eastern European countries have a problem but how often is he playing there?

Does the modern English game have a large problem with racism? More than in the general population? I know there's a bit of a moral panic about it at the moment and the media is blowing up every single incident but I don't see a huge amount of it in our league. Seems as you say that it's more of an issue abroad.

I get where he's coming from - I assume you are a white bloke like me Whelk; by the way I enjoy reading your posts - cut through the BS and straight to the point. Thing is though, all over the world, including the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Australia, NZ etc for some strange reason some white people seem to enjoy taunting and abusing black players - go figure?

I get where he's coming from - I assume you are a white bloke like me Whelk; by the way I enjoy reading your posts - cut through the BS and straight to the point. Thing is though, all over the world, including the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Australia, NZ etc for some strange reason some white people seem to enjoy taunting and abusing black players - go figure?
I think a lot of the time it's thick people who know that making a monkey noise is an easy way to provoke a reaction and get under someone's skin.

I think Rose is generally a woe be me type, looking for some attention and coverage. Look at how he acted when he wanted out of Spurs and a move to Utd. Refused to play, didn't train, spoke up like everything was bad for him. I'm not sure all Spurs fans have fully forgiven him to be honest.

Racism is always going to be prevalent in eastern European countries, it's near on impossible to govern. At the end of the day the issues in this country, where he plays 90% of the time, have been wiped out in the main.

He should just focus on earning his near fortune and get on with it in this country.

Probably because they get fined tens of thousands of pounds and a comment like that makes him seem pretty out of touch and a bit spoilt.

No, to me it shows that certain football fans cannot tell the difference between literal and figurative.

No, to me it shows that certain football fans cannot tell the difference between literal and figurative.
It really doesn't matter as it was clearly a flippant point by rose that I don't really care about but I was just explaining why some people would be a bit miffed by the comment.

My first thought was if it was so awful why doesn't he give up football now rather than at 34? I'm sure he has enough cash to live comfortably ( though if he spends 20 plus grand on a night out maybe not) and could always get a regular Joe job if he doesn't. No one is forcing him to be a well paid footballer.

He has a point on the racist stuff though money fines of FAs aren't the right punishment they need to ban countries from playing internationals something that would hurt the fans carrying out the abuse.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Edited by doddisalegend

Done himself no favours by saying;

The left-back said: "When countries get fined what I probably spend on a night out in London what do you expect?"

I'd expect people to look at the meaning of the comment not take it literally, I seriously doubt that he spends hundreds of thousands of pounds on a night out in London anyway, but more importantly it's a pretty irrelevant fine to a whole country's FA when they will be probably making millions from participating in global football tournaments.

It's bit like the whole diving issue, if people really want it out of the game, you have to stop giving out just yellow cards for it and starting actually giving out punishments that have an impact, like 3 game bans.

Which is the same here, these countries and teams need to be banned from tournaments and competitions or deducted points. If a country misses out on say qualifying from the World Cup because they are deducted 6 points for their racist fans, not only will the country itself do more to tackle the issue but at least some of the idiots doing it will realise what they are doing is hurting the team they support.

Same with Calgiari, their fans have repeatedly done this, if they suddenly got a 6 point deduction from the Italian FA for this, they would now be in the relegation zone, if a team gets relegated from a league or misses out on Champions league or a title etc. this will stop or heavily reduce.

I'll probably get shot down but I don't think those chanting are necessary racist , idiots just find something to pick on players for weather it's colour of skin , weight , hair etc etc . Those idiots will be the same ones cheering had a black player on their team score a goal or make a great tackle . Also I think talking about walking off during a match makes a mockery of how the older generation of black players conducted themselves during times of massive racism.

I know my posts may seem like I am a white bloke but actually I was an ISIS bride just managed to get back into the country. I have insight.

I'll probably get shot down but I don't think those chanting are necessary racist , idiots just find something to pick on players for weather it's colour of skin , weight , hair etc etc . Those idiots will be the same ones cheering had a black player on their team score a goal or make a great tackle . Also I think talking about walking off during a match makes a mockery of how the older generation of black players conducted themselves during times of massive racism.

There is the subjectivity. Walking off draws attention however easy to abuse 2-0 down after 80mins and say heard a monkey chant no one else heard and walk off.

It really doesn't matter as it was clearly a flippant point by rose that I don't really care about but I was just explaining why some people would be a bit miffed by the comment.

Fair enough, and yes, I would wholly agree that it was somewhat flippant.

Let's not over-do it lads. Haven't most of us made negative remarks about our jobs on a bad day, despite having no real desire or intention to change them or walk away. I'm glad I won't be held to account every time I moan about a job which I actually generally really enjoy. Of course he notices it more than we do. It happens specifically when he is there and is focused towards him, whereas for most of us, it would be easy to miss. It doesn't have to be much, he'll notice it still and remember, this is abuse from the customers when he goes to work.

He clearly successfully ignores it pretty much all of the time, or he wouldn't be succeeding at the top level, but it must occasionally make him irritated that he has to. He probably would say most days that he loves being a footballer and knows he's lucky.

There is the subjectivity. Walking off draws attention however easy to abuse 2-0 down after 80mins and say heard a monkey chant no one else heard and walk off.

I think FIFA/UEFA/FA or whoever would have to take each individual case on it's own merits. One drunk idiot making monkey noises is something you just have to take on the chin and deal with him afterwards by way of a fine and a ban. On the other hand if it's quite blatantly a large section of the crowd and heard by numerous sources, I think they have the right to walk off.

Personally I think Rose is being a bit of a tit. He's already made many times more money than I will ever see in my life, if it's that bad quit now and go and play golf. If on the other hand he'd rather have a couple of new Bentleys and some more jewellery then it can't be all that bad.

This is all getting a bit silly, seems that context has been lost thanks to the wildfire spread by the one dimensional internet. The fact that an FA has been fined a bobbins amount has been lost, because an odious toad of a player has slapped his wallet on the table in the style of Ashley Cole when he questioned how can you live on £55k a week, and made a naive out of touch comparison............wish I owned all the places he frequents on a night out in London.

In amongst all this players walking off the pitch stuff rumbling around at the moment if something racist is said, where is the line actually going to be drawn on that? In the Liverpool thread there are comment about getting in the defectors ears and especially Lovren - so if the Northam strikes up the song for him that includes the See You Next Tuesday word will that be deemed worthy in some quarters to have caused offence and the team to walk off?

Edited by John Boy Saint

I'm a financial advisor and I don't earn anything like Rose does, obviously, but I do my job because it earns me good money - not because I enjoy it. If you're not into the drama, cocaine and hookers that the industry brings, it can be a bit of miserable existence. I'm sure being a footballer is the same, and I think it's good that Rose is honest and down to earth about it. He does seem like a bit of a hypocrite though considering some of his past behaviour.

I won't shoot you down. that's always been my argument. How does, for example "black bastard" differ from ginger ****, fat ******, lanky git etc. The abuse is because he is an opposition player, picking on an individual characteristic identifies the player it's aimed at. If the suggestion was that the player is a bastard because he is black, then yes that is racist, but in a football context that is hardly ever the case, if at all. Having said that, if the opposition had a fat, lanky, ginger black player it would be interesting to see how his insults were singled out or if he got 4 times as many as his team mates.

As for monkey chants, thrown bananas etc, that's a totally different kettle of fish and has no place in football, or indeed society in general.

Done himself no favours by saying;

The left-back said: "When countries get fined what I probably spend on a night out in London what do you expect?"

A night out in London is expensive, when you factor in Limos, VIP areas, unlimited bubbly and some premium poontang. :) (For libel purposes, I am not suggesting Danny Rose pays for premium poontang. He's a Premier League footballer so he probably gets it for free.)

Still I hope he's saving up or has a future career lined up, he says he will retire around 33/34, and the money he's used to will quite rapidly dry up.

I won't shoot you down. that's always been my argument. How does, for example "black bastard" differ from ginger ****, fat ******, lanky git etc. The abuse is because he is an opposition player, picking on an individual characteristic identifies the player it's aimed at. If the suggestion was that the player is a bastard because he is black, then yes that is racist, but in a football context that is hardly ever the case, if at all. Having said that, if the opposition had a fat, lanky, ginger black player it would be interesting to see how his insults were singled out or if he got 4 times as many as his team mates.

As for monkey chants, thrown bananas etc, that's a totally different kettle of fish and has no place in football, or indeed society in general.

To answer your question re the difference between calling someone a "black bastard" and a "ginger ****" go and read up about the reasonably recent (200 - 250 years) history of Afro-American slavery and the ensuing discrimination against black people...that should give you a few clues.

I think this is probably true in some cases, but of course that doesn't excuse it - the person suffering the abuse doesn't suffer it any less because the person "isn't a racist deep down". After we lost at home to Cardiff I heard one of our fans shouting something about Sala's death as he trudged down the gangway. He didn't seem a particularly nice man, but I doubt he was genuinely happy about the plane crash, he was just lashing out in any way he could. Still didn't make it right though.

Because race and colour has been used for centuries as a means of inciting hatred and intolerance. Gingers have never been rounded up and taken to America to be sold as slaves. Lanky gits have never beaten to death in their own homes by the KKK.

I've seen more racism at work or down the pub than at football. To be honest in about 30 years of supporting Saints I could count on one hand the amount of racist chants I've heard at the Dell or St Mary's.

EUFA should come down harder on those Eastern European c*nts though.

I'm assuming you're an adult. If you genuinely don't understand the difference between racism and calling out someone for being ginger then it's impossible to have a debate. (Don't get me wrong i'm not in favour of the bashing of gingers either) But seriously grab a few history books

I'm assuming you're an adult. If you genuinely don't understand the difference between racism and calling out someone for being ginger then it's impossible to have a debate. (Don't get me wrong i'm not in favour of the bashing of gingers either) But seriously grab a few history books

I'm pretty sure he's aware of the context. I think his point is that players are generally abused because they play for the opposition, not because of their race (even if it is a racist insult).

It doesn't make it right, but it's a bit different to going up to someone in the street and insulting them because of their race.

Some baffling and ill informed posts on this thread, which in part highlight the problem.

Rose is perfectly entitled to his view IMO. Its a shame he thinks like that, but see the first sentence of my post...

I've not heard any racist abuse at football since we were at the Dell - and let's face it, in most grounds these days the fellow supporters around anyone giving that stuff out would turn on them very quickly. If anyone makes a noise during a minute's silence the group around that person jump on it straight away...unless it's a cough etc.

I find it hard to believe that in the Premier League these days (and this is going by what i hear) these guys get subjected to a huge amount of racist abuse pitchside. I may be wrong, but i haven't heard it for years. I think that homophobia in the game is a much bigger issue, given that players won't come out as being gay.

As for Rose, take a stand if you feel like that and quit.

I've definitely seen a rise of racism at football in the last 2/3years, there was the nipper at Arsenal away who racially abused Bertrand even though he was one of our own, the nipper at United away who called some fans infront of him the P word, and have also heard smaller incidents on trains and at other games.

Not sure it's a football specific thing to be honest, it feels to me that racists in general in this country are feeling more emboldened at the moment and the stigma isn't what it was.

Personally i'll always call out c*nts that feel it's right to do it, but i also get why many prefer it to be dealt with my authorities and not got involved.

As for Rose's comments he's entitled to them and probably knows a fair bit more about it than many of us on here who've never had to go through it.

I'm pretty sure he's aware of the context. I think his point is that players are generally abused because they play for the opposition, not because of their race (even if it is a racist insult).

It doesn't make it right, but it's a bit different to going up to someone in the street and insulting them because of their race.

Trouble is this is what you've posted 'Players are generally abused because they play for the opposition, not because of their race..even if it is a racist insult' I'm being sincere when I say I don't knowhow a player can be abused by a racist insult...yet it isn't racist? . You seem to be able to differentiate between someone having racists insults slung at them..yet it not being racist. But I fear that some people might link the shouting of racist insults to people actually being racist.

Trouble is this is what you've posted 'Players are generally abused because they play for the opposition, not because of their race..even if it is a racist insult' I'm being sincere when I say I don't knowhow a player can be abused by a racist insult...yet it isn't racist? . You seem to be able to differentiate between someone having racists insults slung at them..yet it not being racist. But I fear that some people might link the shouting of racist insults to people actually being racist.

It is obviously being racist but insults are part of football. For example singing "you fat bastard" at a slightly overweight footballer is just banter - going up to someone randomly in the the street and calling them a fat bastard is very different.

It is obviously being racist but insults are part of football. For example singing "you fat bastard" at a slightly overweight footballer is just banter - going up to someone randomly in the the street and calling them a fat bastard is very different.

'It's obviously racist but insults are part of football' I find that quite a troubling sentence..but I am a snowflake. I am slightly stunned by some of the views offered above. I don't perceive myself asa racist but some of the above posts suggest that if Danny Rose is playing at St Marys then I can make monkey chants at him & call him a black bastard and still keep my 'Not racist status' as it's different to going up to someone in the street and being racist....because it's just an insult and all part of football

'It's obviously racist but insults are part of football' I find that quite a troubling sentence..but I am a snowflake. I am slightly stunned by some of the views offered above. I don't perceive myself asa racist but some of the above posts suggest that if Danny Rose is playing at St Marys then I can make monkey chants at him & call him a black bastard and still keep my 'Not racist status' as it's different to going up to someone in the street and being racist....because it's just an insult and all part of football

No-one is saying it's OK, I'm definitely not. Anyone who throws racist abuse around is clearly an idiot.

I've definitely seen a rise of racism at football in the last 2/3years, there was the nipper at Arsenal away who racially abused Bertrand even though he was one of our own, the nipper at United away who called some fans infront of him the P word, and have also heard smaller incidents on trains and at other games.

Not sure it's a football specific thing to be honest, it feels to me that racists in general in this country are feeling more emboldened at the moment and the stigma isn't what it was.

Personally i'll always call out c*nts that feel it's right to do it, but i also get why many prefer it to be dealt with my authorities and not got involved.

As for Rose's comments he's entitled to them and probably knows a fair bit more about it than many of us on here who've never had to go through it.

Definitely here in the States. Due to the orange fat bastard in the White House.

It's blown way out of proportion by people who's sole purpose in the game is fighting racism - if racism is defeated, what use do we have for them?

Football is way ahead of society at large in terms of being accepting of all races/sexualities. The English football mentality is that we only care if they're good enough and not dragging the club's name through the mud.

Danny Roses comments about countries being fined what he spends on a night out makes him seem like an absolute ***** I must say.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

One day, Rose will look back at his career and wonder if he should have enjoyed himself more when playing
Indeed. I love having a kick about on a field, nevermind playing fulltime and being paid insane money for it... professional football must be one of the most fulfilling careers on every level you can possibly have.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Heard the clip and it sounded to me like he was implying he can't wait for the abuse to end, which it will when he ends his career. Not he can't wait for his career to end. But that would make logical sense and not quite fit how the media love to paint these working class black boys as ungrateful for the riches and privilege their talent has afforded them. Except in the Guardian's case where it gives them a chance to write about racism again.

Yeah, I’m sure Vince Hilaire, Paul Canoville, John Barnes etc. certainly must do...

But he isn't like them. He probably travels to an East European away game once every two years or so. It's hardly like he's getting bananas chucked at him every week.

It's wrong what they faced in Montenegro and shouldn't be accepted but making out his whole career is some insufferable hell because of racism is being over dramatic.

But he isn't like them. He probably travels to an East European away game once every two years or so. It's hardly like he's getting bananas chucked at him every week.

It's wrong what they faced in Montenegro and shouldn't be accepted but making out his whole career is some insufferable hell because of racism is being over dramatic.

nail on the head. Amazed this hasn't been said in the media.

If you listen to Darren Lewis, the premier league is a racist hell-hole!

The usual whitesplaining drivel anyone should expect on the 'Let's gripe at the uppity black man' Saintsweb thread part 1,779. Honestly, how the hell do you know this?

IMO rose is absolutely correct

The trend of managers saying they would support players walking off is a disgrace. This just piles the pressure on black players to deal with the issue.

The authorities, the managers and the refs need to act well before a player gets to that point.

The usual whitesplaining drivel anyone should expect on the 'Let's gripe at the uppity black man' Saintsweb thread part 1,779. Honestly, how the hell do you know this?

Whitesplaining? :lol: Ah yes, just like mansplaning, you can pretty much say anything and be automatically right because you're the victim of discrimination.

I've been going to Saints matches since I was 15 and I've only ever seen one instance of racist abuse. The Pompey cup game we won and Oakley scored that belter, some guy made a monkey noise when Primus was on the ball.

You're never going to get a Utopian society where there are crowds of 20, 40 or 50,000 people and literally none of them are a racist kn*bber. Fact of life, it will never be completely wiped out. We just need to catch the (very small) minority who do it and ban them.

Whitesplaining? :lol: Ah yes, just like mansplaning, you can pretty much say anything and be automatically right because you're the victim of discrimination.

I've been going to Saints matches since I was 15 and I've only ever seen one instance of racist abuse. The Pompey cup game we won and Oakley scored that belter, some guy made a monkey noise when Primus was on the ball.

You're never going to get a Utopian society where there are crowds of 20, 40 or 50,000 people and literally none of them are a racist kn*bber. Fact of life, it will never be completely wiped out. We just need to catch the (very small) minority who do it and ban them.

Only once?