Saints 1-3 Liverpool - Reactions

Lighthouse

Very good post and mirrors my view.

The Glasgow troll was back because we lost, how predictable

We really need more pace and power up top. A few times we looked to hit an early forward pass from deep (not a hoof) and it ended up being gobbled up by liverpool pretty easily

Hoj was very good and thought Redmond also had a good game.

At least the absolute howlers we used to offer are now pretty rare. Just need Cardiff to mess up their next two 6 pointers and that will be that

I was just coming on to see if anyone saw this, definitely no flag from the lino, ref clearly pointed to goal kick and then after Henderson got in his face he gave a corner. Bizarre. As for the Van Dijk incident, yes the referee ran with his arms out saying advantage to Saints before calling it back for a foul on Van Dijk. Another very strange, extremely weak referee in this pool of absolute hopelessness.

Thanks for the clarification. I would watch the recording but please don’t ask me to go through that again.

We really need more pace and power up top. A few times we looked to hit an early forward pass from deep (not a hoof) and it ended up being gobbled up by liverpool pretty easily

Hoj was very good and thought Redmond also had a good game.

At least the absolute howlers we used to offer are now pretty rare. Just need Cardiff to mess up their next two 6 pointers and that will be that

Yep, I'm sure Ralph has ear marked his needs to address what you described..

Cardiff will go no worries there but I reckon we wil do the job ourselves comfortably in the end

Played well, just lacked a cutting edge up front. With 1/2 decent striker(s) and Ralph still incharge I think we should be aiming for top 8 next season.

Still work to be done in this one though. Wolves up next, 3 points and let's put this season to bed please.

The linesman was flagginfor a foul to Liverpool. The usual practice is to waggle the flag above your head but to hold it in the hand on the side that you think should get the free kick. That way the referee can decide whether to play advantage. I didn’t see the ref give such a signal though. It was a weird situation.

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned that incident where the ref gave a goal kick but then changed his mind after protests from the Liverpool players.

I only saw the replay at the time not since but I think that the ref did give the play on gesture with his arms after the incident indicating that he thought it was a foul on Saints, that's why he took a while to blow up for the 'foul' and bring play back when the lino must have indicated to him his opinion.

As others have said, Sky should not have a co-commentator with a vested interest for one side or another, as a pundit OK but why didn't Neville do it? Even on Soccer Saturday they don't follow a match where their previous club(s) are playing.

IMO Saints just need another 4 points for certainty, can't see Cardiff getting another 10 points through 3 wins and a draw (or 2 wins and 4 draws) from their remaining 6 fixtures.

Their equaliser changed the game and of course they got some benefit from the officials for it, which seems to happen a lot, big team underperforming lets give them a little helping hand.

It knocked the stuffing out of us and took the pressure of them a bit, had we got into half time 1-0 up I think we would have at least gone on to get a draw.

But at the end of the day, our team probably cost about 10% of theirs and we gave them a good game, Liverpool have spent like £300 million plus over the last two season, we will never be able to compete with that.

Their equaliser changed the game and of course they got some benefit from the officials for it, which seems to happen a lot, big team underperforming lets give them a little helping hand.

It knocked the stuffing out of us and took the pressure of them a bit, had we got into half time 1-0 up I think we would have at least gone on to get a draw.

But at the end of the day, our team probably cost about 10% of theirs and we gave them a good game, Liverpool have spent like £300 million plus over the last two season, we will never be able to compete with that.

It was a tight call tbf- we still should never had let a 5ft 6 (or whatever his height) score with a header in the box like that.

A pointless e-mail but I felt the need to complain to Sky about the bias. To rub it in at the end of the broadcast(I assume Sky had a few complaints) they said for Saints reaction go to Skysports news where they will talk about the relegation scrap (subtle dig), yeah right it would again be the first 15 minutes of Liverpool and then a little chunk of Ralphs interview and then talk about Cardiff and the plane crash or the ref.

As for the game I have thought about it a bit and Iam not criticising Ralph but do wonder if he took Long off 10 mins too early. He was still causing a bit of problems and we had nobody in the centre of the box if the ball came across.

Liverpool just about deserved to win as we gave them the pitch and kept giving the ball back too easily. All in all a good performance and next season we will start to give teams more for their money.

Sickening scenes at the end of the game shown on sky, klopp having selfies and signing autographs for bunch of cùnťs in the Itchen stand, would of hoped a few Saints would have had a word and told them all to f*ck off.
I thought it was at the Liverpool end with their fans

As most have said, gave a good account of ourselves against what is (extremely annoyingly) a very good Liverpool side. Even if they aren't League champions (and I 4ucking hope not) they'll get about 90 points this season so you can't deny they're good. Just very annoying salah scores that goal after the run he's been on (it was a perfect finish).

The corner thing is annoying. It wasn't so much the starting positions, it was the naivety of those near the edge of the area getting over excited and sucked in when it became a bit ping pong like on the edge of the area. They saw a sniff of something exciting happening, abandoned their posts and then, along with most of the stadium, that sudden realisation of sh1t, this is big trouble. 5 seconds and a perfect finish later and we've lost the game. No issue with the third, we twisted and went bust.

I was almost in line with salah for the offside, it looked tight so can accept the lino getting that wrong, but it obviously changed the game. And the sims incident was dreadful; other than that, not much to moan about the officials for really. Wrong end to see Keita, have heard different opinions on whether it was a pen or not.

In terms of players, compared to their potential standard think just about everybody gave a good account of themselves. Romeu was a bit meh, and jwp is simply not effective wide right, even in that formation. He was fine, just not great. Defenders all did well, Valery continues to develop and Redmond was very good. Hoj probably motm for me.

Trouble was the subs. Basically nothing on offer to change and improve things. Long was tired but only option was what he did, Austin couldn't lead a line alone for half an hour, nor Gallagher I'd suggest, so sims (or Armstrong) on and Redmond up was all he could do. Armstrong was about to come on before the goal, but probably just for fresh legs. Of course, the goal meant a double swap and a change of plans so can't really judge this.

Unfortunately, can't think of anything much else he could have done to improve things given the players available. The squad is massively short of depth, especially for attacking options, so well done to those that played and performed, and here's hoping it's improved in the summer.

It was a free hit, so no harm done and certainly our confidence shouldn't be damaged by that. Just a shame to get no rewards for a good performance, plus I really don't like Liverpool.

A fair summary overall but if we were going to get something from this game we needed a level playing field and those two key decisions really went against us. ! The linesman on the Kingsland side was pretty useless and the ref indecisive which was a bad combination !

I accept that we may have lost anyway but I do expect the officials to do better than they did last night !

Ps. were they not the same guys who officiated in the Cardiff v Chelsea game ??

Great performance last night considering expectations before the game.

The eternal problem with Saints is that we need 4 or 5 decent chances to score 1 goal. The best teams have the players to put most of those away.

Had Shane Long put that chance for 2-0 in it could so easily have been a different game. But then that’s always the story with Saints. More pain than gain. We’ll never be described as Glory Hunters ....unlike so many of those plastic Liverpool fans who turned up yesterday.

Hey we gave it a go, dodgy equaliser, get use to the second anyone who has watched Leipzig under Ralf will know a draw is the fall back objective. Both Bertie and Yan knew that if they touched Salah he would hit the deck in style and Tierney would be reaching for his top pocket without a second thought.

Bit weird being Saturday morning and our Football is done for the weekend.

Quite surprised my Motm has gone under the radar, Jan Bednarek despite shipping 3 as part of a defence I thought was yet again very tidy and unfazed by what was coming at him. Playing alongside Maya has probabaly helped as Yoshida has always had good anticipation (often got him into trouble) Yan seems to have learned and honed that anticipation in his favour.

Little mention for Valery, first half what a boy, Liverpool breaking into our half Mane looking to spin round the back down the side, Valery just stood his ground and helped him further out wide than he wanted and their moment was lost.

Excellent first half but perhaps as a result we looked leggy in the second half and lacked composure on the ball. Too many sloppy passes and rash clearances - Vestergaard being a repeat offender.

Felt we needed another option in midfield as their three were too mobile for Romeu and Hoj and they kept bringing on fresh legs there. While Long provided a very good outlet in the first half, he disappeared after halftime and they were comfortably able to isolate Redmond whos been our most dangerous player. JWP didnt offer much going forward despite playing off Long and got dragged deeper perhaps because he saw our midfield was struggling.

Liverpool were nothing special. Their goals were soft as ****. Apart from Mané getting behind Valery a few times in the second half (though Robertson in support conspired to do his best impression of Cedric), most of their play was in front of us or speculative balls to test the pace of Bednarek and Verstergaard. It’s a matter of time before their luck runs out.

Edited by shurlock

Was sat directly in line with Salah and he was clearly offside in the build up to the scrappy equaliser !

It should never have stood and could well have changed the balance of the game !

Also close to the Van Dyck foul which was given the other way when Sims broke clear !

Two atrocious decisions given by an extremely cr@p linesman !

Grrr....

Yep, that’s my take too...two crucial biased decisions from an old fat Lino that is worthy of A Prem level job. Disgraceful when you look at the effort put in by our lads. I just hope that doesn’t affect the team mentality when going into the next few vital games....we still need points.

Played well last night, we were the better team for large chunks of the game. Although the equaliser got them back on terms and where everyone expected them to be the real turning point was their double substitution bringing on Gobby and Milner. Completely changed the dynamic in midfield and on the right in place of the ineffective Wijnaldum and poor Trent-Arnold. It seems to be a trait of Ralph, excellent at setting up the team initially, and getting into leads (born out by the silly stat of us giving away more points from leding positions) but then not being able to counter tactical changes by the opposition when they are behind (or level). First goal resulted from clear offside, but really not surprised it was not given, and anyway we had opoprtunities to get the ball away before it went in, though Gunn could have done better to be honest. Second goal was No 17 in our series of how to turn corners into goals conceded. We have been doing this for 3 or more seasons now under various managers, how often did we concede from corners given away by Tadic, Boufal etc. If we are going to go gung-ho at corners we have to have more defensive cover than one man. Bertrand did everything right and everything he could without getting a red card (which would have been very costly to us in our remaining games) but n the end was bested by a great piece of skill by Salah. Don't care about the 3rd goal it was just a result of trying to get back in the game, but was irritating that Gobby was the scorer. JWP disappointing last night, thought he was totally ineffective, and the offsides in the first half were ridiculous, killed our momentum on more than one occassion. His set pieces were dreadful. Otherwise most of our players put in a good performance.

All in all it was a good performance, final score flattered them a bit, but was better than I had predicted (1-4).

Completely ****ed off by the Sky coverage with Carragher's antics, why the hell do Sky allow him to commentate on Liverpool games, it was truly embarrassing having to put up with the fawning over Liverpool by him and the rest of the team. All the post match stuff about Pool, absolutely nothing about Saints, it was like only one team took part in what was actually a good, entertaining match.

A pointless e-mail but I felt the need to complain to Sky about the bias. To rub it in at the end of the broadcast(I assume Sky had a few complaints) they said for Saints reaction go to Skysports news where they will talk about the relegation scrap (subtle dig), yeah right it would again be the first 15 minutes of Liverpool and then a little chunk of Ralphs interview and then talk about Cardiff and the plane crash or the ref.

For probably the first time ever I did exactly the same this morning. I mentioned that Matt, Thommo, Merson and Charlie Nicholas can’t do their teams games on a Saturday so why is it ok for that **** to do Liverpool matches ? It’s double standards.

I wouldn’t have bothered but that fkin picture of him hugging Salah whilst holding a Sky microphone was just too much.

Shouldnt still have a job after that spitting last year. **** !

I was just coming on to see if anyone saw this, definitely no flag from the lino, ref clearly pointed to goal kick and then after Henderson got in his face he gave a corner. Bizarre. As for the Van Dijk incident, yes the referee ran with his arms out saying advantage to Saints before calling it back for a foul on Van Dijk. Another very strange, extremely weak referee in this pool of absolute hopelessness.

The commentators (probably Carragher) even mentioned like it was a good thing. Can't remember the exact wording but it was something like "good from the referee, he wasn't going to give it until Henderson spoke to him". My immediate reaction was "Errr what?!"

Love to have seen George Kirby at no 9 for us last night, at least he would have made sure VvD had a night to remember!

Probably would have taken a straight red after about 30 seconds. How long do you think Brian O'Neill would have lasted on the pitch with today's interpretations of the rules? We loved watching them, that was football as it was then but those blokes had very little skill and virtually no self control.

Yep, that’s my take too...two crucial biased decisions from an old fat Lino that is worthy of A Prem level job. Disgraceful when you look at the effort put in by our lads. I just hope that doesn’t affect the team mentality when going into the next few vital games....we still need points.

That ‘old fat lino’ is Darren Cann, one of the world’s top assistant referees who has run the line in a World Cup Final and a Champions’ League final.

He is 49 years old.

The commentators (probably Carragher) even mentioned like it was a good thing. Can't remember the exact wording but it was something like "good from the referee, he wasn't going to give it until Henderson spoke to him". My immediate reaction was "Errr what?!"

I have just watched that incident again. JWP runs into their half, then stops and turns round to face our half. VVD comes flying in over the top of him. I thought it should have been a foul to us, and so did the referee because he signalled ‘advantage’ to us but then he noticed that the Lino was flagging for a foul to Liverpool and then awarded a foul to them.

Two things spring to mind. Why did the Lino feel the need to indicate an opinion in such a circumstance? There was nothing there that the referee might have missed and once you flag you are almost mandating that the referee change his mind because he will feel bound not to undermine you. Secondly, why was he so quick to flag? He should have waited a couple of seconds to see what developed.

Very poor show.

That ‘old fat lino’ is Darren Cann, one of the world’s top assistant referees who has run the line in a World Cup Final and a Champions’ League final.

He is 49 years old.

He looked like Neil Ruddock

Disappointed by the result but would echo the views of others that they were proud of the team. We played well for much of the match.

I thought the Liverpool fans were shocking. They got going at the end and once they took the lead but for much of the match they were silent. For fans who are awarded so many plaudits by pundits I thought they were far too quiet.

I have just watched that incident again. JWP runs into their half, then stops and turns round to face our half. VVD comes flying in over the top of him. I thought it should have been a foul to us, and so did the referee because he signalled ‘advantage’ to us but then he noticed that the Lino was flagging for a foul to Liverpool and then awarded a foul to them.

Two things spring to mind. Why did the Lino feel the need to indicate an opinion in such a circumstance? There was nothing there that the referee might have missed and once you flag you are almost mandating that the referee change his mind because he will feel bound not to undermine you. Secondly, why was he so quick to flag? He should have waited a couple of seconds to see what developed.

Very poor show.

When I saw him whistle I assumed VVD must have stayed down with a head injury, and was angry he couldn't have waited a couple more seconds as we were in a dangerous position. Couldn't believe it was for a free kick to them. He'd clearly waved an advantage, even if the linesman indicated free kick the other way why change his mind without a discussion? (or are lino/refs miked up to each other nowadays?)

Has to smile at Charlie Austin's first (and only?) contribution - deliberately "accidentally" barging into VVD's chest as he went to position himself in their area for a free kick. To be fair VVD just laughed it off, some players would have gone down screaming to the ref.

When I saw him whistle I assumed VVD must have stayed down with a head injury, and was angry he couldn't have waited a couple more seconds as we were in a dangerous position. Couldn't believe it was for a free kick to them. He'd clearly waved an advantage, even if the linesman indicated free kick the other way why change his mind without a discussion? (or are lino/refs miked up to each other nowadays?)

Has to smile at Charlie Austin's first (and only?) contribution - deliberately "accidentally" barging into VVD's chest as he went to position himself in their area for a free kick. To be fair VVD just laughed it off, some players would have gone down screaming to the ref.

The officials are miked up but I don’t think they use them in the normal run of play. I think this was a case of the ref (Paul Tierney) doing what he should which was to allow us advantage because he thought it was a foul on JWP and then at the same time noticing that the Lino had flagged the other way. They always like to say that they work as a team so Tierney would have assumed that there was something that he had missed, maybe an elbow or something. The error here was Cann’s who got over enthusiastic and flagged too soon. Some might say that it was to protect Liverpool.

I loved the way that Austin was causing trouble for VVD. Very entertaining.

The officials are miked up but I don’t think they use them in the normal run of play. I think this was a case of the ref (Paul Tierney) doing what he should which was to allow us advantage because he thought it was a foul on JWP and then at the same time noticing that the Lino had flagged the other way. They always like to say that they work as a team so Tierney would have assumed that there was something that he had missed, maybe an elbow or something. The error here was Cann’s who got over enthusiastic and flagged too soon. Some might say that it was to protect Liverpool.

I loved the way that Austin was causing trouble for VVD. Very entertaining.

That's my point though. Why assume you've missed something (when you already had a clear enough view to wave play on) just because the linesman flags? Why not consider you might have got it right and the linesman saw it wrong. It would need a verbal "comparing of notes" to make the decision I could accept it if the ref hadn't seen it/had a clear view and was looking towards his assistant for help but that wasn't the case. He just seemed happy to accept the over-rule and stop us in mid-attack. Easy to think too happy to do so, although to be fair, if he wanted to show them any bias he could well have given a penalty against Yoshida. It wasn't one but a lot of refs might have fallen for that one.

In my view - and be interested to hear a ref's view point - he should have waited another few seconds, the situation was there was either going to be a goal, corner or goal kick within seconds at which stage he could immediately clearly point to his linesman and go and discuss it, or we lose possession and Liverpool then have the advantage anyway.

We lost but look at this place, we are once again excited by Saints football and full of optimism. Ralph has done a marvellous job. He’s learning too. Was a tough choice, try and shut up shop for a 1-1 or go for it. Glad he went for it at 1-2 too, showed our ambition.

+1 I thought we where really good, played good football & made a lot of their players look average. We are staying up and it looks really positive for next season. Remember back how **** the football was under Hughes and Mope.

+1 I thought we where really good, played good football & made a lot of their players look average. We are staying up and it looks really positive for next season. Remember back how **** the football was under Hughes and Mope.

We looked pretty good most of the time yes but I'd still question the need for all 3 CBs to go forward for a corner leaving Bertrand as our only backup in case of any breakaway from the set piece.

Love to have seen George Kirby at no 9 for us last night, at least he would have made sure VvD had a night to remember!

Think George would not have made the end of any game these days.

Made me smile thinking of George though.

Unfortunately not many of us left who can remember him

Think George would not have made the end of any game these days.

Made me smile thinking of George though.

Unfortunately not many of us left who can remember him

I have followed this list for many years with a great deal of interest but I haven't posted ever for many reasons.

However, with the recollection of George Kirby by a previous poster, I just felt I had to contribute and reply. I am 71 years of age and been a Saints fan for over 60 years. I can remember the signing of George Kirby from....I believe....Plymouth. This was from another age of football, where tackles and physical contact was part and parcel of the professional game and referees allowed it.

If memory serves me correctly, we were in some trouble in the old Div 1. Ted Bates was our Manager. In the space of a few weeks Kirby was signed from Plymouth, Stuart Williams, a Welsh international full back was signed and Dave Burnside, a beautifully cultured inside forward ( There was such a thing in those days ! ) from WBA. Those signings transformed our season and we climbed out of trouble.I believe Tony Knapp, an England U 23 international was already in our side and captain.

The side included Cliff Huxford, our defensive wing half and bloke with the biggest thighs I have ever seen on a football pitch and Ken Wimshurst, the attacking wing half. All sides played with a set up like that in those days.

Anyhows, with Terry Paine on one wing....before he was capped....and Johnny Sydenham on the other, we scored a hatfull of goals that season and the next. George Kirby was big and strong and was a great header of the ball. Alongside him was wee Georgie O'brien who was a natural goal poacher. The two scored many goals for the Saints as it was a great combination of power and strength and speed and guile.

I do remember one one mid week match at the Dell under floodlights....I believe it was against WBA....where the ball was put into the box and Kirby headed the ball and the keeper into the net !.....and the goal was allowed by the referee ! How times have changed now where the slightest nudge on the keeper and the Ref blows up.

Also I believe our keeper was a bloke called Ron Reynolds who wore contact lenses....a most unusual thing in the 1960's !! Under the floodlights my Dad and I used to watch him on the edge of the box, trying to follow the play and constantly trying to adjust his vision when the ball was on it's way into the box. It didn't give you alot of confidence !!!!!

A long time ago at the Dell....but very happy times. Oh, how the game has changed !

Frank

I have followed this list for many years with a great deal of interest but I haven't posted ever for many reasons.

However, with the recollection of George Kirby by a previous poster, I just felt I had to contribute and reply. I am 71 years of age and been a Saints fan for over 60 years. I can remember the signing of George Kirby from....I believe....Plymouth. This was from another age of football, where tackles and physical contact was part and parcel of the professional game and referees allowed it.

If memory serves me correctly, we were in some trouble in the old Div 1. Ted Bates was our Manager. In the space of a few weeks Kirby was signed from Plymouth, Stuart Williams, a Welsh international full back was signed and Dave Burnside, a beautifully cultured inside forward ( There was such a thing in those days ! ) from WBA. Those signings transformed our season and we climbed out of trouble.I believe Tony Knapp, an England U 23 international was already in our side and captain.

The side included Cliff Huxford, our defensive wing half and bloke with the biggest thighs I have ever seen on a football pitch and Ken Wimshurst, the attacking wing half. All sides played with a set up like that in those days.

Anyhows, with Terry Paine on one wing....before he was capped....and Johnny Sydenham on the other, we scored a hatfull of goals that season and the next. George Kirby was big and strong and was a great header of the ball. Alongside him was wee Georgie O'brien who was a natural goal poacher. The two scored many goals for the Saints as it was a great combination of power and strength and speed and guile.

I do remember one one mid week match at the Dell under floodlights....I believe it was against WBA....where the ball was put into the box and Kirby headed the ball and the keeper into the net !.....and the goal was allowed by the referee ! How times have changed now where the slightest nudge on the keeper and the Ref blows up.

Also I believe our keeper was a bloke called Ron Reynolds who wore contact lenses....a most unusual thing in the 1960's !! Under the floodlights my Dad and I used to watch him on the edge of the box, trying to follow the play and constantly trying to adjust his vision when the ball was on it's way into the box. It didn't give you alot of confidence !!!!!

A long time ago at the Dell....but very happy times. Oh, how the game has changed !

Frank

Thanks for the memories!

Frank

:toppa:

Great to read your memories. I just wish my own memory was as good!

Wow. MOTD just literally didn’t even bother to mention us in their post match analysis. Not even a reference to our goal, any of our chances or how it will affect the relegation fight. Just 5 minutes of masturbation over Salah and Henderson and how passionate they all are.

However, with the recollection of George Kirby by a previous poster, I just felt I had to contribute and reply. I am 71 years of age and been a Saints fan for over 60 years....

Frank

Thanks for sharing your memories of Kirby and that era.Please post more often and share the recollections.

You entered 'Sainthood' a few years before me as my earliest team was the Alehouse although I have heard tales of Kirby, Derek O'Brien etc from older relatives. Always interesting to read of days gone by.

Couldn't go last night so only just saw the highlights on MOTD. Disappointed but not surprised by the result but having watched tonight it was a typical Long in front of goal moment at 1-0 that proved critical. Thought Gunn looked weak for their first goal.

Wow. MOTD just literally didn’t even bother to mention us in their post match analysis. Not even a reference to our goal, any of our chances or how it will affect the relegation fight. Just 5 minutes of masturbation over Salah and Henderson and how passionate they all are.

Another embarrasing w^nkfest by the pundits.

There is a very weird football thing that goes in often in games and one we are near the top of the league in. Jockeying, this is the art of not engaging the opposing player or more importantly the ball. There is a culture of this method of waiting for man with ball to make his move and not the defender first.

Weird and unecessary.

Thanks for sharing your memories of Kirby and that era.Please post more often and share the recollections.

You entered 'Sainthood' a few years before me as my earliest team was the Alehouse although I have heard tales of Kirby, Derek O'Brien etc from older relatives. Always interesting to read of days gone by.

Badger

Thankyou for your kind response to my post. I will try to post again and share my memories of wonderful times spent watching the Saints at the Dell from about 1959 onwards up to now at St.Marys.

The game of football was very different then....as were the crowds. Saints were renowned as a very skilful attacking side....especially at the Dell. When Stuart Williams was signed , he was the current Welsh International left back. A big signing for us at the time although he was in the twilight of his playing career. Our right back was Tommy Traynor. Full backs in those days were big and strong and not considered an attacking threat. There only job was to nullify their opposing winger....by fair means and foul. The tackles that rained in then would not be allowed today ! I believe Tommy Traynor retired and became a publican in Swaythling. He was replaced by a bloke called Joe Kirkup....who was quickly replaced by the great Dennis Hollywood. He was probably considered one of the first " modern " full backs who not only was a wonderful defender but had an attacking threat to his game as well. I do remember he had a wonderful cultured left peg !

I need to start a new thread about football at the Dell in the 1960's if anyone is interested. But can I end with 2 stories that illustrate how the game has changed.

If my memory serves me correctly, a full house at the Dell meant that 29,000 people had crammed in. All standing on the terraces. I was about 11 years old and attended each game with my Father who had been a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy in WW2. One afternoon against Leicester City a young bloke called out loudly using the " F " word and to a man about 100 Saints fans....all men in those days.....turned around to tell him off ! And he apologised and shut up.

Last story ! One evening in the early 60's a mate and I attended an evening match at the Dell against Huddersfield Town. In those days most visiting teams stayed at the Polygon Hotel before the match and then walked the streets to the Dell. About 6 pm we were walking towards the Dell past the Polygon and out of the hotel came the Huddersfield players. Amongst them was Ray Wilson. It was before he was transferred to Everton, one of the great sides in the old Div 1 in those days. This was pre 1966 but he was already an England international and very famous. My mate asked for his autograph and Ray duly signed. However my mate who was a cheeky sod , pretended not to be able to read what Wilson had written and looked at Wilsons scribble and said...." what the hell is that " Wilson clearly was pretty aggrieved and annoyed and replied....." can't you bloody read son " !!!! We had a chuckle and went in through the turnstiles.

We went on to win that evening and Wilson didn't have too great a game against Terry Paine ,so the two of us always thought that we had played our own small part in upsetting Wilson and helping Saints win .

Happy Days

Frank

Thought Gunn looked weak for their first goal.

It was a header from five yards that was possibly already over the line before he even got a glove down and almost clawed it out. Would've been an amazing save.

I'd be more concerned that 6' 3" centre back Bednarek was so easily out-jumped by 5' 8" midfielder Keita.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Exactly that, you took the words right out of my mouth. The whole clucking set up is rigged and corrupt, Sod the BBC!

I didn’t want Liverpool to win it before Friday night because of Van ****, Lallana, Lovren and Klippity.

Now I’m adding every fkin pundit who creamed themselves over Liverpool (with the exception of Matt and Gary Neville) esp bloody Carragher.

I don’t particularly care about the rough deal we seem to get from pundits anymore as I think every team who isn’t top 6 does when they play one of them BUT that ****fest on Sky followed up by MOTD was beyond the normal arse licking levels.

If we hadn’t over committed at that corner and the ball fell kindly for them I believe we would have held out for a point. They were getting increasingly desperate at that stage.

Bastards

Some comments about sky's coverage:

Fans baffled as Neville and Carragher bizarrely walk away from Sky Sports presenter Kelly Cates while answering question before Liverpool’s victory over Southampton

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8804518/neville-carragher-walk-sky-sports-kelly-cates/

What got me was Tyler asking Carragher if he was going to join in the Salah chants after he scored! At least he was blatant about it I suppose :-( Neutrality my a s r e !

Thank goodness they are not the normal pundits.

the added Liverpool-fest is starting.

If (probably when) they win the league, we all know it will be billed as the most dramatic, passionate, memorable, amazing, SPECIAL title win, not only since the beginning of the premier league, but since the birth of the human race.

we will have endless 'specials' on sky, bbc and of course, the print media on how wonderful Liverpool are. Obviously, with lots of references and tributes to Hillsborough....probably for the next 25 years. These specials have features from 'stevie' and 'carra' who will pay tribute to 'hendo', 'trent', 'virgil', 'bobby' and of course, 'mo'.....it will be wonderful.

Edited by Batman

Does anyone expect Carragher to be neutral?

Of course he isn’t and stupid to think he should pretend otherwise.

Do you all get offended when Matt cheers on SSN when we score that he isn’t paying due respect to the Portsmouth viewers?

If (probably when) they win the league, we all know it will be billed as the most dramatic, passionate, memorable, amazing, SPECIAL title win, not only since the beginning of the premier league, but since the birth of the human race.

we will have endless 'specials' on sky, bbc and of course, the print media on how wonderful Liverpool are. Obviously, with lots of references and tributes to Hillsborough....probably for the next 25 years. These specials have features from 'stevie' and 'carra' who will pay tribute to 'hendo', 'trent', 'virgil', 'bobby' and of course, 'mo'.....it will be wonderful.

Come on you’d love it Jamie. A lifetime’s material for your shtick.

Edited by shurlock

Totally agree, vomit inducing stuff