Saints vs Wolves Build-up

SuperSAINT

Yep - I find myself agreeing with you again. A far better test than tonight

Very well organised, very good on the counter & very good against the top 6.

But, with that said:

- Lost to Burnley

- Lost to Huddersfield

- Drew with Bournemouth

- Drew with Newcastle

Got a feeling Wolves are just slowing down a tad, had a good season without doubt. Need to keep on moving forward in the summer or they could fall backwards quite quickly.

Certainly one we can and should be winning at home. But to be fair, even a draw isn't to be sniffed at.

Got a feeling Wolves are just slowing down a tad, had a good season without doubt. Need to keep on moving forward in the summer or they could fall backwards quite quickly.

Certainly one we can and should be winning at home. But to be fair, even a draw isn't to be sniffed at.

Probably best if they win their semi-final to keep their mind off the league, do you think?

Hopefully they’ll have a cup final to worry about and we can get stuck in to them!

Hopefully they’ll have a cup final to worry about and we can get stuck in to them!

If man city win today, the semi final between Watford and wolves becomes a Europa league play off final as far as I can work out (fitting for teams in 7th and 8th, and clearly this season's 'best of the rest').

This is good news for us IMHO (so long as city win). We have to play them both; whoever loses has nothing left to play for at all, despite a good season Europe chances are finished. Whoever wins has nothing left until the cup final having already qualified for Europe and will probably be trying to avoid injuries.

Of course, both are decent teams who have had good seasons, so games will be tough; but I think however today goes we should have a decent chance on Saturday, and against Watford later in the month against teams whose league campaigns are effectively done.

If man city win today, the semi final between Watford and wolves becomes a Europa league play off final as far as I can work out (fitting for teams in 7th and 8th, and clearly this season's 'best of the rest').

This is good news for us IMHO (so long as city win). We have to play them both; whoever loses has nothing left to play for at all, despite a good season Europe chances are finished. Whoever wins has nothing left until the cup final having already qualified for Europe and will probably be trying to avoid injuries.

Of course, both are decent teams who have had good seasons, so games will be tough; but I think however today goes we should have a decent chance on Saturday, and against Watford later in the month against teams whose league campaigns are effectively done.

They'll still have to finish 6th, 7th to get EL. Only the winners of the FA Cup get a european place nowdays, if that's Man City that win it - they don't need it, so a Europa League place goes to 7th.

They'll still have to finish 6th, 7th to get EL. Only the winners of the FA Cup get a european place nowdays, if that's Man City that win it - they don't need it, so a Europa League place goes to 7th.

yes exactly. Wolves and Watford have plenty to play for, as does others chasing 7th place.

Although if City lose this evening somehow, then yes the winner between Wolves/Watford will obviously see it far easier to achieve Europa League through the FA Cup Berth, with maybe one of them taking their foot off the pedal if that is the case- but on paper just cannot see City not winning the FA Cup this year,.

Well ... that's my theory ruined then, isnt it? B*gger. Is that the definitely the case, though? I thought the fa cup winners spot defaulted to runners up, or has that changed. I know that how we qualified after the Cardiff final but was obviously many moons ago.

Well ... that's my theory ruined then, isnt it? B*gger. Is that the definitely the case, though? I thought the fa cup winners spot defaulted to runners up, or has that changed. I know that how we qualified after the Cardiff final but was obviously many moons ago.

yes, for the last couple of years now the runner up of the FA Cup no longer gets the Europa League berth.

If a team in the PL top 6 win it, it goes down to 7th, and that has been the case for the last few years anyway.

Although, finishing 7th means you begin your Europa League Journey in the 3rd round qualifying I think, and off the top of my head not many bar a couple have made it to the actual competition itself- we lost to FC Midjtylland in 2015-16, West Ham lost to some Romanians in 2016-17, and Burnley at the very start of this season lost to someone else too and didn't make it.

Well, with Burnley now stuffing the flaky Bournemouth, (whom I wish we were playing next week instead as they are pants atm) we will be next to the line; this time next week if it all goes wrong, which it easily could, there would only be two points in it....

Makes this game seriously crucial to win.

Well, with Burnley now stuffing the flaky Bournemouth, (whom I wish we were playing next week instead as they are pants atm) we will be next to the line; this time next week if it all goes wrong, which it easily could, there would only be two points in it....

Makes this game seriously crucial to win.

That's what struck me. Think the team will feel more pressure than last night, when nothing was really expected. Next week we need points.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think it was changed the year we finished 7th under Koeman wasn't it? Because I think Villa or someone got to the final that year and we got into the Europa League based on the fact they didn't win the Cup.

Tough to call, be interesting to see how both teams approach it, they have had most of their success on the counter, we are obviously at home so you'd expect us to have a go at them but that may then play into their hands.

A distraction of a cup final would probably help, might have a few of them taking their eyes it a little.

An interesting game, this one.

Wolves have been brilliant this season but we have to hope we catch them on one of their off-days.

Let's hope instead that they don't catch us on one of our off days. We're not safe yet so let's hope we don't take our foot off the pedal. Not an easy match but we can beat them if we have the desire.

Probably best if they win their semi-final to keep their mind off the league, do you think?

Absolutely. If they are going to Wembley they may not want to get injured. If they lose today they'll be angry and intent on imposing themselves imo.

Probably the best outcome, Wolves will take ages to get over that and hopefully Watford will have an eye on the cup final when we go there in a few weeks.

My thoughts precisely. I wonder if it’s too much to hope for a ‘6-1 at Highbury’ performance from Watford B in a few weeks.

Will restrict my sympathy for wolves to the "other games" thread.

From our perspective, that's perfect, exactly as LGTL just said above. That will take some getting over; they're a very good side so I'm very happy to gain any advantage we can over them, and I think they'll be very deflated for a good couple of weeks. Doesn't guarantee a result, but surely the best possible time to play them.

Yeh might struggle to pick themselves up after that.
No way to really predict these things. They're just as likely to want to show a reaction and bounce back hard. They've got seventh to play for in the league and don't lose too many back to back.

We'll have just have to deal with whatever turns up. They're a really good side, but a rigid Plan A team: if they have to chase a game or make any kind of tactical switch, they've got nothing.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

No way to really predict these things. They're just as likely to want to show a reaction and bounce back hard. They've got seventh to play for in the league and don't lose too many back to back.

We'll have just have to deal with whatever turns up. They're a really good side, but a rigid Plan A team: if they have to chase a game or make any kind of tactical switch, they've got nothing.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

They seemed to manage it quite well at Molineux earlier in the season when they put Traore on to beat us for pace.

I agree that they can blow hot and cold (some excellent performances, but losing at Huddersfield and Burnley) but think they've got a few options open to them from the bench to change things. Hopefully they'll still be in shock after today.

This is no easy walkover game for us and we will be looking over our shoulders at Cardiff.Burnley are still in the mix as are Newcastle but we have to win at least two of the next three games to ensure security.Its not an easy run for us whatever the opposition.Keep focused and we can do it.

Edited by hasper57saint
missing word

I see a score draw here, which I'd take if Cardiff don't win.

There for the taking after yesterday, can't see them having the same desire now their season has effectively ended. Fighting for 7th isn't the same as fighting for survival.

Doesn’t 7th become a qualifying spot for Europa if City wins it?

Got a niggling feeling about this one.... think we may slip up and lose it.... I can also see Cardiff sneaking 3 points vs Burnley too... #worstcasescenario

(If this is how things pan out, at least our two-steps-forward-one-step-back approach to avoiding relegation will give the SWF doom-and-gloom brigade a final hurrah before we secure safety :) )

Not sure about posts 37,38 which smacks a bit too much of arrogance and over confidence. It is always as well to be realistic about our own capabilities and respeto the boxct our opponents. They are a brilliant team on their day and can beat anybody which is more than can be said for us despite our recent uptick in attitude and performance level.

Every team knows that we cannot defend high crosses into the box and Wolves are particularly good at that. Wolves will win this one quite easily I fear because we will regard them as NOT Liverpool so take out foot off the gas slightly and by that I mean on for wo players might not have their sharpest thinking caps on for this one and allow their concentration levels to slip - as indeed they did on Friday when everyone had a brain fade and deserted their posts for the corner that led to their breakaway goal.

1-3 Sorry for the pessimism chaps.

Got a niggling feeling about this one.... think we may slip up and lose it.... I can also see Cardiff sneaking 3 points vs Burnley too... #worstcasescenario

(If this is how things pan out, at least our two-steps-forward-one-step-back approach to avoiding relegation will give the SWF doom-and-gloom brigade a final hurrah before we secure safety :) )

it is the Saints way after all- never for the faint hearted.

I'm going to predict a 1-1, drab draw. Ings to get ours before they score late on.

I think what a poster said about the whole 'plan A' is the fact they have played 3 at the back in I think most of their games- obviously it has been working fairly well for them- hopefully Ralph will know how to negate that with some good tactful lessons this week.

Wembley hangover or Wembley backlash.

Looking at how (understandably) devastated they were, I'd have thought hangover is more likely, but we'll have to wait and see. Would certainly be interesting to see how they react to any sort of set back (early goal, dodgy important ref decision etc)

Get in their faces and don't give them the space to recover from Sunday.

3 points are doable, just get them and let's put any lingering doubts to bed.

......also a Cardiff loss please.

When we played them at Molineux we gave them too much respect and were guilty of giving veg them two soft goals. Ralph has hardened our lads up since that (Hughes fiasco) and we need to go at them from the start. This certainly is,as you say doable but we need to stay focussed for the whole 90 + minutes.

PS. Whose the Ref?