Racism In Football 2019

sadoldgit

I noticed our own club has failed to wish Jewish people well celebrating the Passover yesterday. Why is that? The clubs PR department had tweeted happy Christmas, happy Ramadan, happy Eid, they’ve celebrated transgender day by flying trannie flag yet seem to be ignoring the Jewish special day. Antisemitism inside the walls of Southampton FC perhaps?

There was a bloke in the Kingsland who shouted “get up you black ****” when Keïta dived in the box second half. I wasn’t 100% sure that was what I heard, and as it was behind me wasn’t really sure who shouted it. Later the same voice shouted “black bastard” at Mane. That one was clear, and I was pretty sure who shouted it as there’s a bloke with a big gob who mouths off every week (although that was the first time I’d heard him use that sort of stuff). He also shouted “cut his head off” when Salah had the ball (not sure if this is acceptable, but I felt uncomfortable). To my knowledge nobody confronted him (including myself). I think most people were like me, unsure of whether he actually said it, and then unwilling to speak out as he sits with a bunch of blokes.

All week I wrestled with it, wondering if I should have done something. Thursday I emailed the club asking what process they have if I witness this behaviour again. They advised pointing him out to steward. Fast forward to Saturday and the bloke wasn’t in his seat. Maybe a coincidence, but I can’t remember him missing a game previously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Further to my earlier post I managed to get into a conversation about this racist chump with a steward today. He told me that following the Liverpool game the bloke was arrested and is under investigation for racist abuse. Evidently 2 people filmed him on their phones and then reported him to the club. He’s had his season ticket blocked and is potentially facing charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed our own club has failed to wish Jewish people well celebrating the Passover yesterday. Why is that? The clubs PR department had tweeted happy Christmas, happy Ramadan, happy Eid, they’ve celebrated transgender day by flying trannie flag yet seem to be ignoring the Jewish special day. Antisemitism inside the walls of Southampton FC perhaps?

They also celebrated transgender remembrance day, an important day in everyones calendar just 9 days after the other remembrance day. Or is that the one you mean? Wonderful to see that flag flying high over SMS though.

A very important and noteworthy date, maybe more so than Passover?

Further to my earlier post I managed to get into a conversation about this racist chump with a steward today. He told me that following the Liverpool game the bloke was arrested and is under investigation for racist abuse. Evidently 2 people filmed him on their phones and then reported him to the club. He’s had his season ticket blocked and is potentially facing charges.

Nice one.

They also celebrated transgender remembrance day, an important day in everyones calendar just 9 days after the other remembrance day. Or is that the one you mean? Wonderful to see that flag flying high over SMS though.

Why are you chumps so insecure and easily triggered? Irony is the last refuge of the dull and unimaginative.

The virtue signalling from our club is ridiculous. Free tampons in the women’s bogs with a little note on club headed paper about how they shouldn’t have to pay for them. It’s weird.

Well done for following up on it. I've heard incidents but not always easy to identify who shouted the abuse and where they are sitting during a game.

Having his season ticket revoked will be the least of this guy's problems if the law are involved. Having witnessed the abuse Danny Wallace had to put up with in the early 80s when I was kid at the Dell from away fans, it's appalling that we (society/football, rather than Saints specifically, have seen far more of it at some of the London clubs) still have this problem nearly four decades on.

The virtue signalling from our club is ridiculous. Free tampons in the women’s bogs with a little note on club headed paper about how they shouldn’t have to pay for them. It’s weird.

Though this weirdness will be dressed up as Saints 'leading the way' against discrimination - or some sh1te like that.

No point putting a load of free muff blocks in the bogs anyway, you can guarantee some horrible chav would selfishly bag them all of herself (himself/themselves etc)

Well done for following up on it. I've heard incidents but not always easy to identify who shouted the abuse and where they are sitting during a game.

Having his season ticket revoked will be the least of this guy's problems if the law are involved. Having witnessed the abuse Danny Wallace had to put up with in the early 80s when I was kid at the Dell from away fans, it's appalling that we (society/football, rather than Saints specifically, have seen far more of it at some of the London clubs) still have this problem nearly four decades on.

It's not really surprising though is it. Human nature and the law of averages mean you will always get the odd neanderthal in a football crowd but it's nothing like the hordes of abuse suffered in the 80s, certainly not in the UK. Let's hope more people like lord duck hunter start calling these individuals out so at least these people know there are consequences to their actions.

Though this weirdness will be dressed up as Saints 'leading the way' against discrimination - or some sh1te like that.

No point putting a load of free muff blocks in the bogs anyway, you can guarantee some horrible chav would selfishly bag them all of herself (himself/themselves etc)

I believe it's "ximself."

It is interesting that those of a far right persuasion seem to play down the level of racial abuse still endemic in this country. Despite high profile footballers coming out and saying that it is still an issue, there are regular reports that this is still a big issue here. This morning I was reading about the problem reported to Leicester FA about children as young as 7 being targeted for racial abuse and the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Football Forum has started to collate grassroots experiences from across the country. There have been monkey chants and Islamophobic remarks made towards players at kids games. One team of Asian children were told that they should be "blowing things up, not playing football." One parent offered a kid a banana saying that he should be used to it.

We are used to high profile racism as practiced by the likes of Tommy Robinson. Apparently one of his milkshake episodes was caused by him constantly berating an innocent Asian guy about Asian rape gangs to the extent that the guy got fed up with him and emptied his milkshake over him. This heinous act has since caused the guy to receive death threats on top of the beating that he received from Tommy and his thugs at the time.

Sadly we are used to these things happening on our streets, but when you hear of racist abuse being aimed at young kids it is very clear that there is still a strong racist element in this country. To pretend that we dont have the depth of problem here that they have elsewhere is not only foolish, it is covering up the threat that the far right still poses in the UK.

the club wish you a happy Ramadan!

Edited by Batman

It is interesting that those of a far right persuasion seem to play down the level of racial abuse still endemic in this country. Despite high profile footballers coming out and saying that it is still an issue, there are regular reports that this is still a big issue here. This morning I was reading about the problem reported to Leicester FA about children as young as 7 being targeted for racial abuse and the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Football Forum has started to collate grassroots experiences from across the country. There have been monkey chants and Islamophobic remarks made towards players at kids games. One team of Asian children were told that they should be "blowing things up, not playing football." One parent offered a kid a banana saying that he should be used to it.

We are used to high profile racism as practiced by the likes of Tommy Robinson. Apparently one of his milkshake episodes was caused by him constantly berating an innocent Asian guy about Asian rape gangs to the extent that the guy got fed up with him and emptied his milkshake over him. This heinous act has since caused the guy to receive death threats on top of the beating that he received from Tommy and his thugs at the time.

Sadly we are used to these things happening on our streets, but when you hear of racist abuse being aimed at young kids it is very clear that there is still a strong racist element in this country. To pretend that we dont have the depth of problem here that they have elsewhere is not only foolish, it is covering up the threat that the far right still poses in the UK.

are these people on here? if so, please can you provide examples.

Not watched the footage have you? Oh dear :lol:

Obviously the reference to blowing things up was saying they should be having fun playing with balloons rather than taking football seriously at such a to young age. As for the banana reference again I don't see the issue with this, bananas have excellent nutritional qualities particular used by athletes for carbohydrate refuelling during or after excessive exertion. I don't see how anyone can take issue with teaching children healthy eating habits particularly if it is going to enable them to improve their performance in their sport of choice. Of course those who want to see racism everywhere will do, but perhaps their patronising attitude towards non whites harks back to the era of imperialistic Britain when anyone non British needed our help and support as they weren't bright to look after themselves. Terrible really some are still in this mindset where feel they need to help the savages as they cant help themselves.

Flushed out another Yaxley-Lennon supporter I see.

Have you got some evidence behind your story? Lord knows I'm no fan of Robinson but the video I've seen was of a young guy pushing past others to shout stuff in his face, before later throwing a milkshake.

Have you got some evidence behind your story? Lord knows I'm no fan of Robinson but the video I've seen was of a young guy pushing past others to shout stuff in his face, before later throwing a milkshake.

There were 2 different milkshake incidents. I was quoting what the person involved in one of them made of the incident. It sounds like this was the other incident.

you make valid points

I kind of feel sorry for Brighton. If/When they dispense with the services of Chris Houghton, they will be in for a rough ride from certain elements of the media.

This will be a first then, as I've never seen any club targeted for criticism for sacking a manager with a particular skin colour.

and it begins

Edited by Batman

Clearly Hughton skin colour has nothing to do with him being sacked. Has managed 4 clubs.

But start playing dull negative football and you will always alienate fans. Got huge amount of lucky results earlier in season so could argue in a false position most of season.

Sure he will get another job somewhere.

Clearly Hughton skin colour has nothing to do with him being sacked. Has managed 4 clubs.

But start playing dull negative football and you will always alienate fans. Got huge amount of lucky results earlier in season so could argue in a false position most of season.

Sure he will get another job somewhere.

Let's hope the association of black lawyers fella feels the same way. Personally I think it would be fantastic if a black British man started tearing it up with one of the top teams. It would hopefully stop the whinging from some of those types.

• 3 weeks later...
Galloway stirring controversy just for a change. Sacked from talk radio for a tweet about ‘Israel flags’ on the CL trophy.
I don't really like Galloway but tbf I think he was referring to the fact that there were Israeli flags in the crowd and he objects to support of Israel which he thinks is a racist state rather than Jews in general. He's still a fool for tweeting it but I assume by his llhic he wouldn't consider it anti-semitic.

Say anything bad about Israel and you will be labelled anti Semitic.

That's the problem with what he's saying; a large number of Spurs fans aren't Jewish and the ones that are don't necessarily support Israel.

Its a bit like when Bradford lost the League Cup final, saying, "oh good, we don't want Pakistan flags on the trophy because of the conflict in Kashmir." Neither accurate nor appropriate.

That's the problem with what he's saying; a large number of Spurs fans aren't Jewish and the ones that are don't necessarily support Israel.

Its a bit like when Bradford lost the League Cup final, saying, "oh good, we don't want Pakistan flags on the trophy because of the conflict in Kashmir." Neither accurate nor appropriate.

Wasn't he talking about Israeli flags in the crowd? Could be wrong but that, was my understanding. Still a fool though.

Not accurate or appropriate - but definitely not racist if it’s just an issue with a country’s actions.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but it seems that missing a penalty now means that bigoted keyboard warriors think it is okay to hurl racist abuse at the perpetrators. Still, guess when you see two of the most powerful figures on the planet casually using racist language and comments I guess the knuckle draggers think that it is ok to do likewise.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but it seems that missing a penalty now means that bigoted keyboard warriors think it is okay to hurl racist abuse at the perpetrators. Still, guess when you see two of the most powerful figures on the planet casually using racist language and comments I guess the knuckle draggers think that it is ok to do likewise.

what has trump got to do with it?

What's your point? That there are racist people on the planet?

It's the internet, there's an infinite supply of ill informed sh*te out there. There are people on twitter who think the Earth is flat and put more faith in a blog on mumsnet than a qualified doctor.

If I was in North Korea and I was one of the tiny percentage of people who had access to the full internet, I'd be sending all manner of racist abuse to every black player in the prem knowing it would rile up the pearl clutches such as yourself to go into overdrive and sow discord.

My point is we have absolutely no idea where the abuse is from, nor do we have any idea about the motivations for the abuse. Imbeciles like yourself will leap upon it and twist it to suit your lunatic narrative but the sad fact is- as has been pointed out to you many times- there will always be racist idiots on the Internet. If Trump had never happened do you expect there wouldn't be trolls on the Internet giving some players racist abuse for missing a penalty? Its pathetic but I'm not sure what anyone can do when literally everyone in the world including actual racists- not the pretend ones you see round every corner- can log on.

What's your point? That there are racist people on the planet?

It's the internet, there's an infinite supply of ill informed sh*te out there. There are people on twitter who think the Earth is flat and put more faith in a blog on mumsnet than a qualified doctor.

This thread is about racism in football. 3 players this week have missed penalties and have received a flood of racists abuse on social media. Not worth commenting on?

Oh and Batman, I know that you are not the sharpest knife in the draw, but there has been widespread discussion about how casual racism by major politicians could be encouraging closet racists to speak up. I know you don’t have a problem with racists and probably think that this isn’t an issue.

This thread is about racism in football. 3 players this week have missed penalties and have received a flood of racists abuse on social media. Not worth commenting on?

Oh and Batman, I know that you are not the sharpest knife in the draw, but there has been widespread discussion about how casual racism by major politicians could be encouraging closet racists to speak up. I know you don’t have a problem with racists and probably think that this isn’t an issue.

Honestly no. It's thoroughly unpleasant and a Police matter but it isn't really news. If anything it needs less media exposure as there are plenty of people who get off on how much they can offend and upset strangers on the internet.

did racism exist like this before trump?

will it exist after he leaves office?

you are a f-ing weirdo

What would be your strategy for removing this sort of racist abuse in football? Serious question.

What would be your strategy for removing this sort of racist abuse in football? Serious question.

abuse on social media is horrible.

however, twitter is an American company and posters/users from the USA (for example) are offered a far more free environment to spout their shyte.

The quick win is for players to leave twitter.