Racism In Football 2019

sadoldgit

So no suggestions then?

I’ve been busy.

Ok, first off I would suggest that their fines are paid in to a charity that specifically helps a black community.

I would put them into a programme that would both educate them about the effects of racism and also deals with their racist mindset.

Finally I would give them a long period of community service in an ethnic minority area so that they can give something back to the people they revile and also spend meaningful time with them which might help build some bridges.

Punishment is one thing but it isn’t going to change their behaviour. Some punishment and a lot of education might be a start.

What do you suggest?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50114848

Police say they are investigating after an FA Cup match between Haringey Borough and Yeovil Town was abandoned amid reports of racial abuse by fans.

Officers are also investigating after items were reportedly thrown onto the playing area, a Metropolitan Police spokesperson told BBC Sport.

Saturday's match was abandoned after Haringey's manager took his team off the field in the second half.

There have been no arrests yet and inquiries are continuing.

The match, played at Haringey's Coles Park Stadium, was in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup, with the winner set to progress to the first round proper.

Haringey goalkeeper Valery Douglas Pajetat was reportedly spat at and hit by an object thrown from the Yeovil Town end.

Defender Coby Rowe was then "racially abused", according to Haringey boss Tom Loizou, who said "there was no way I could let him continue".

Avon and Somerset Police says it will be assisting the Met, and have asked anyone with information or video footage to contact them.

Don't worry everyone. Hypo has repeatedly told us there is no problem with racism in English football any more, so we can safely assume this is all just made up nonsense.

Don't worry everyone. Hypo has repeatedly told us there is no problem with racism in English football any more, so we can safely assume this is all just made up nonsense.

I said there is no large scale problem with racism abd that it is largely confined to small pockets and is widely seen as socially unacceptable just as it is in wider society so please don't put words in my mouth. Pointing to an example in a non league fa Cup qualifier in front of probably a few hundred fans with I would guess minimal security and stewarding and potentially something committed by a single fan or a very small handful just proves my point. It shouldn't happen and will be severely dealt with in this case no doubt but as I've said you just made my point for me and as the club said, the vast majority of Yeovil fans are disgusted. Edited by hypochondriac

This will probably come down to 1% of the fans at 1% of the games in England. 0.01% is hardly indicative of an ingrained problem.

Spoke to a couple of mates who are Yeovil fans and were at the game right behind the goal. They said that someone shouted "get back c*nt" because the keeper was encroaching on the penalty and that must have been misheard because that's when their players started going mad.

Also said that unreported was the fact that the keeper had been spraying his water bottle in the face of a fan behind the goal and had a swear filled rant at them himself at one point. Seems to think if Yeovil had missed the penalty, they wouldnt have kicked up a fuss and would have played on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Spoke to a couple of mates who are Yeovil fans and were at the game right behind the goal. They said that someone shouted "get back c*nt" because the keeper was encroaching on the penalty and that must have been misheard because that's when their players started going mad.

Also said that unreported was the fact that the keeper had been spraying his water bottle in the face of a fan behind the goal and had a swear filled rant at them himself at one point. Seems to think if Yeovil had missed the penalty, they wouldnt have kicked up a fuss and would have played on.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the case. Doesn't stop some on here trying to suggest this misunderstanding shows clear systemic racism accross the leagues! Mass hysteria me up.

A similar thing happened to a mate of mine, he isn’t racist at all, in fact he’s got a couple of black friends. He was at a game a while back and when a black player went down for an extended period of time recieving treatment he shouted out “give him a banana” immediately people lept to the conclusion he was racially abusing the player and he was arrested. Down into the cells he was able to give a reasonable account of what he meant and explain that many sports people use bananas for recovery due to their excellent nutritional value, he cited Andy Murray, serena Williams and roger Federer as high profile sports people who had won major tennis titles whilst refuelling on a banana between sets in tennis and this is what he was suggesting here. Unfortunately, despite presenting a whole host of information on the effect a banana to the magistrate the narrow minded police and courts didn’t believe his version instead banning an innocent man from football for 3 years but this is another case where people seem to very quick to assume racism when it is no such thing.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the case. Doesn't stop some on here trying to suggest this misunderstanding shows clear systemic racism accross the leagues! Mass hysteria me up.

No, black players who talk about racism still happening in football are clearly lying :mcinnes:

A similar thing happened to a mate of mine, he isn’t racist at all, in fact he’s got a couple of black friends. He was at a game a while back and when a black player went down for an extended period of time recieving treatment he shouted out “give him a banana” immediately people lept to the conclusion he was racially abusing the player and he was arrested. Down into the cells he was able to give a reasonable account of what he meant and explain that many sports people use bananas for recovery due to their excellent nutritional value, he cited Andy Murray, serena Williams and roger Federer as high profile sports people who had won major tennis titles whilst refuelling on a banana between sets in tennis and this is what he was suggesting here. Unfortunately, despite presenting a whole host of information on the effect a banana to the magistrate the narrow minded police and courts didn’t believe his version instead banning an innocent man from football for 3 years but this is another case where people seem to very quick to assume racism when it is no such thing.

Very amusing, but also completely irrelevant. The language used in the Yeovil game couldn't be construed as racist unless completely misheard.

Then what’s you problem and why do you constantly try and play it down?
I've already explained myself clearly on this thread and don't want to repeat myself. Read here for a full explanation of my thoughts:

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2768843

What you call "playing it down" is in fact giving a realistic portrayal of the situation rather than some hysterical moral panic whipped up most recently by a lone fan from Yeovil that may not have even said anything racist anyway.

Edited by hypochondriac

I know a guy who was on his way home from the launderette when he stopped to light a fag.

In the dark he slipped and fell over his bag of washing.

As he emerged from beneath the bedclothes he dropped the cigarette, which burned a Hindu peace symbol into the grass verge.

Despite his protests, people who saw him there, caught up in a white sheet with a pillow case on his head, stood outside Lenny Henry's house next to a blazing Swastika, decided he was some sort of a white supremacist. :o

There is usually a simple explanation.

I know a guy who was on his way home from the launderette when he stopped to light a fag.

In the dark he slipped and fell over his bag of washing.

As he emerged from beneath the bedclothes he dropped the cigarette, which burned a Hindu peace symbol into the grass verge.

Despite his protests, people who saw him there, caught up in a white sheet with a pillow case on his head, stood outside Lenny Henry's house next to a blazing Swastika, decided he was some sort of a white supremacist. :o

There is usually a simple explanation.

Tbf I'm pretty sure Turkish was taking the ****.

Perhaps we both were....

A pincer movement.

A pretty ineffective one. The guy I know who was at the game was right behind the goal and so if the keeper had heard something, he would have done as well. I'm completely confident that he would be honest about it if something did go on. The guy is very straight talking, no nonsense and calls people out on their bullsh*t all the time.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/10/23/liverpool-slam-highly-offensive-and-racist-divock-origi-banner/

So ‘racist’ now just covers anything which is any way rude, which involves a black person in some way.

Tbf you've got to be pretty dumb to not know what the reaction to that would be. United got done for the lukaku bellend song so it's not like there isn't history with this sort of thing. If it's not racist which is at best arguable then it's pretty ill judged.

Tbf you've got to be pretty dumb to not know what the reaction to that would be. United got done for the lukaku bellend song so it's not like there isn't history with this sort of thing. If it's not racist which is at best arguable then it's pretty ill judged.

I'm not saying it was smart or appropriate, although that's entirely down to the fact that it's a 10ft poster of a bloke waving his schlong around IMO.

The original picture has been a meme popping up in most of my Whatsapp groups for about two years now. The whole point of the 'joke' is, "haha I made you look at a photo of a blokes massive todger," not, "haha, look at this silly black man!" Somebody has simply taken this and put Origi's face on it, presumably because of the nickname 'Big C*ck', which is just a pun on 'Divok'.

I'm not saying it was smart or appropriate, although that's entirely down to the fact that it's a 10ft poster of a bloke waving his schlong around IMO.

The original picture has been a meme popping up in most of my Whatsapp groups for about two years now. The whole point of the 'joke' is, "haha I made you look at a photo of a blokes massive todger," not, "haha, look at this silly black man!" Somebody has simply taken this and put Origi's face on it, presumably because of the nickname 'Big C*ck', which is just a pun on 'Divok'.

Yeah, you're right. It's cos his name sounds a bit like cock. Definitely nothing to do with a black man.

That's true but it's also definitely due to the stereotype of black men having massive dongs. Now that wouldn't be insulting to some people but for others it would be. Personally I couldn't care less about the poster but I can see why some would complain.

Yeah, you're right. It's cos his name sounds a bit like cock. Definitely nothing to do with a black man.

So the fact that some fans call him 'Big Cock' is purely coincidental, along with the fact that they've not made this joke about the dozens of black players they've had over the last several decades?

Fair enough, I'm sure they were just being ironic anyway.

So the fact that some fans call him 'Big Cock' is purely coincidental, along with the fact that they've not made this joke about the dozens of black players they've had over the last several decades?

Fair enough, I'm sure they were just being ironic anyway.

You're making yourself look silly.