Season ticket renewals - announced 10 April

whiteleySaint30

Doubt there is much of a correlation between seat prices and attendance, if the product is crap nobody will come if the product is good they'll be fighting for tickets.

This is mostly true, I think, albeit with a few obvious caveats that there is still a line that most people will set for themselves in terms of either what they can afford or what they are willing to pay.

If I remember rightly, this season's prices aren't even the most expensive we've had since we came back up - there was definitely a reduction of around £70 or so a few years back when the £30 away price cap was first introduced, with the club proudly claiming they wanted to ensure that home fans were paying the same as away fans in the same stand (and then two weeks later it was announced that our club sponsor was going to subsidise those away tickets down to £20 so in actual fact, we were paying 50% more than the away fans stood to our left).

To be honest, I do share the cynicism of ErwinK1961 above that this new £399 ticket seems to be a double-play by the club to:

a) fill seats that have often been empty so show up on TV;

b) move themselves up/down the various "Price of Football" surveys that get released every year. Manchester City did something similar a few years ago, they have a section of around 500 seats where season tickets are around £300, and that price gets quoted in the press.

As I said a couple of days ago, they could easily have reduced the prices across the board by a more significant figure and recouped most of the money back in extra catering and merchandise sales. With the "new applicant" prices remaining pretty much the same as this season (as far as I can tell), I don't see them picking up many extra new season ticket holders from those prices. As long as you've got a purchase history from the last year or so, it's easy enough to get tickets for pretty much any home game.

If the club thinks most games are close to a sell out they won't make much extra from catering and merchandise, in fact the day tripper will typcially spend more and club make more on match day sales than a s/t holder. I'm sure they have modelled the optimum number of s/t tickets they want to sell. Is it better to have 15k at £600 to make £9m or 25k at £200 to make £5m etc.

If they sell less then more of a gamble with on field performances to attract enough each game. Are there enough who will go irrespective of how we play.

As mentioned though it doesn't make a huge difference in total income - perhaps wages for one or two 1st team players or enough to pay off a dud manager.

The club should have reduced to £399 across the board, would still make ridiculous profits and would bring back a lot of the fans who have been driven away in recent years, improving the atmosphere and increasing match day revenue.

Someone said they'll think that they can't increase revenue by that much as games were all close to selling out...that may be true, but how many games did it actually LOOK like they were close to selling out? Thousands of empty seats every game where people clearly couldn't shift the tickets they bought or just couldn't be arsed.

The club would be naive to look at tickets sold and assume they can't improve on the amount of people actually brought into the ground.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

As I said a couple of days ago, they could easily have reduced the prices across the board by a more significant figure and recouped most of the money back in extra catering and merchandise sales. With the "new applicant" prices remaining pretty much the same as this season (as far as I can tell), I don't see them picking up many extra new season ticket holders from those prices. As long as you've got a purchase history from the last year or so, it's easy enough to get tickets for pretty much any home game.

Fully agree, i think the club could have reduced the prices much more then they have, I'm not so certain that any shortfall would be made up with extra catering etc from a lower price.

Just for example my ticket is in block 4 and this season it was £682 next season it is £660 but a new season ticket is £730 I cant see many being tempted by that. If the club had reduced tickets by £50 for example (block 4 would be £632) and we had 18000 season ticket holders then there would be ahort fall of £900000, however IF and its a big IF the cost of a new saeon ticket was the same as a renewall say £632 and that then attracted 1000 new season ticket holders then that would make £632000 up of that shortfall. I still cant see the balance of £268000 being made up by the 1000 buying food and drink etc but it would make up some.

Just because I have a season ticket this season I do not see why a new season ticket should not be the same price as a renewall, as long as a season ticket was cheaper than buying match by match.